Menu

Just curious: do you have food trucks in your area?

unsinkable

I know our area is a bit late to catch onto the food truck craze but now we have over a dozen trucks in a county of about 1 million people.

Do you ever deliberately go to where they are parked or do you just go to them if you happen to be in the area, like for a festival or concert?

Recently there was a big huge book sale to support the local literacy foundation.

There were some food trucks at the sale, we purchased some burgers from a food truck as well as some cupcakes at the cupcake food truck (!!!!!)

We don't usually pursue food trucks but if there is one right there then I don't feel hesitant about ordering food from one. I really like tacos and if a truck is just sitting there with tacos I am going buy tacos from them.

A food truck is a truck that serves cooked food. It isn't like the corn dog stand at a fair. Food trucks are often quirky and serve fresh cooked, good quality food.

They often are parked in different areas every day. It is more like a moving restaurant.

This is one food truck that we ate at recently

http://daveschucktruck.com/ It was delicious!

This cupcake place has a food truck and shows up to some things  http://www.chocomoosebakery.com/ It was also delicious!

Our county has actually not allowed them to be anywhere except the Farmer's Market and concerts/festivals. It's been a big to-do here. The local restaurants are pushing hard to not allow them to be anywhere near them. I really hope they come up with something because some of them are good and I would love to eat out of them when we're at the beach. The county next to us has a lot of them and they do a good business.

Heck yes!  We have a ton of great food trucks in Austin.

A few different trucks turn up at my husband's place of employment and he often gets lunch from one or another.  They tend to have more eclectic menus than a standard restaurant might.  We've purposely gone to a food truck (like left home with that intent) a couple/few times, and a couple of other times it's been a spontaneous stop.  But by far the most common food truck purchases in our family are my husband's lunch things.

A food truck is a truck that serves cooked food. It isn't like the corn dog stand at a fair. Food trucks are often quirky and serve fresh cooked, good quality food.

They often are parked in different areas every day. It is more like a moving restaurant.

This is one food truck that we ate at recently

http://daveschucktruck.com/ It was delicious!

This cupcake place has a food truck and shows up to some things  http://www.chocomoosebakery.com/ It was also delicious!

Ooooo....yeah, there are a few around town. Most of them hang out by the high school for their lunch break.

I feel like we were a little late on it as big cities go and it's still nothing like some places, but food trucks are a thing here. The kids and I have had a few food truck outings for lunch where we've gone to one of the places downtown where they congregate and treated ourselves to a bunch of different things (Indian food, tacos with unusual toppings, gourmet grilled cheese, etc.) and eaten sort of tapas style sharing everything. A couple of the big food truck crazes are things I'm not into like lobster rolls and Korean fusion, so I haven't done some of the "best" supposedly.

The quality is really hit or miss. For awhile it felt like the food trucks were really good, innovative little things (I mean, other than the hot dog carts and kebab places that have been around for eons). At some point, as food trucks became a "thing" I think they became more commercial and not as awesome. But there are a few I really like. There's a pie place with a good food truck that I really like.

Yeah, we have a ton of them all over everyday, plus a parking lot where they all come on the weekend and there's a band and tables. Some people are saying the trend here is on the downswing except the taco trucks, which have been here forever and will be here until the universe collapses into a singularity.

My ds is a foodie & we made an effort to go to where some were when we were in Washington D.C. awhile back.

http://foodtruckfiesta.com/?wptouch_page_template=wptouch-links

Otherwise, I've been to them a couple of times at festivals & when in NYC too (basically when they were around/convenient).

Good food!

P.S. We even liked a food truck movie, lol! (You will be hungry after this movie!)

Downtown once a month there is a Friday evening where a lot of food trucks come together in one place. Each month has a different theme (last month was spicy, this month is breakfast). The food tricks make at least one special dish that goes with the theme for the month.

Last month my kids and I ate:

A tomato basil feta "pie" from a food truck run by a local farm that makes its own cheese.

Garlic spiral cut potatoes on a stick.

Chipotle BBQ ribs.

A chicken tamale and...something else from that truck, but I forget the other thing.

Freshly made macaroons.

Lavender lemonade.

Fresh mini doughnuts.

The next one is tonight!

http://eatthestreethawaii.com

Yeah, we have a ton of them all over everyday, plus a parking lot where they all come on the weekend and there's a band and tables. Some people are saying the trend here is on the downswing except the taco trucks, which have been here forever and will be here until the universe collapses into a singularity.

I do like taco trucks.

I would chase a taco down the street like a little kid after the ice cream truck.

I saw the movie Chef last night, which is somewhat about food trucks (or at least a chef using a food truck as a job/creative outlet during a tough time in his career and family life). I liked it. Food. Family. Good sound track. 

We're too rural to have food trucks unless there's a fair in town, but I can dream. ;)

Try googling *city name area* food truck

Ah, OK, I saw some like that outside of the attractions in Rome.

No, I don't see them around my city.  We are not a city that hangs outdoors much.  We are working on changing that, but I don't know if it will really ever change.

Heck yes! We have a ton of great food trucks in Austin.

A few different trucks turn up at my husband's place of employment and he often gets lunch from one or another. They tend to have more eclectic menus than a standard restaurant might. We've purposely gone to a food truck (like left home with that intent) a couple/few times, and a couple of other times it's been a spontaneous stop. But by far the most common food truck purchases in our family are my husband's lunch things.

There is a new Polish one I want to hunt down! I don't know why I feel weird about it...maybe bc they seem to always be at business parks or big companies during the day and I'd feel like an interloper.

I know that is stupid. I'll sit down and eat at restaurants by myself without a problem so I don't know why I'm hesitant to do this.

We also have a lot of food trucks that don't even go to the monthly thing, it is mostly the more trendy trucks that go.

Shrimp trucks are a really big thing here, there are probably a dozen of those, scattered over the island. Then there is a local butcher shop that has its own food truck with grass fed beef burgers and such. There are 2 different crepe trucks that I know of. Then there are the trucks with local food-loco moco, Korean short ribs, teriyaki chicken plate lunches, etc.

Two of my favorite trucks are the 5-0 BBQ truck and the Wurst Wagon (which does Germany food, which may or may not be obvious, lol).

Our county has actually not allowed them to be anywhere except the Farmer's Market and concerts/festivals. It's been a big to-do here. The local restaurants are pushing hard to not allow them to be anywhere near them. I really hope they come up with something because some of them are good and I would love to eat out of them when we're at the beach. The county next to us has a lot of them and they do a good business.

There were definitely some bumps in the road (PUN!) around here for the trucks with legistaion and tangling with restaurant associations.

Once things/laws were settled, the number of trucks exploded, from about 3 to over a dozen.

Yes, though they've had some licensing issues with the counties. There are some really good ones here. My favorites are a Korean taco truck (they have these amazing hot sesame fries with a side of sriracha cheese sauce...) and one with really creative arepas.

I've never seen a food truck in Mexico.  But they're hardly necessary here.

We were in DC before this where there are, of course, many food trucks. I'm trying to figure out some kind of academic credit that involves sampling many food trucks when we're back there next year. :)

Yes, food trucks (they're referred to as "Lunch Wagons" or "Roach Coaches") are very common here (California) and have been for a looooong time.  My parents met getting lunch at one.  They typically were used to serve lunch to blue collar workers but it seems they've become popular with foodies.  I can tell there is construction going on nearby if I hear the musical horn of a lunch wagon, announcing its arrival for lunch.

yes to both questions -- we (occasionally!) seek them out when we're in LA (Kogi -- Korean-Mexican fusion -- it's fantastic and worth the hassle). But it's easier if they come to us, haha. A mega-church we often attend on Saturday evenings has food trucks now, and it's so convenient, b/c the services are at times that wreak havoc with meal planning (4 and 6 pm). Plus they smell amazing when you're walking by them in the parking lot :D -- Mideastern food, Korean, one recent one was various kinds of mac & cheese, etc.

The local high school has them near the sports fields every Wednesday night -- they got a new principal from the big city, where food trucks are more common, and he thought it would encourage families to hang around and it would build community.

I just ate yesterday at KoJa, in Berkeley -- it's a Korean-Japanese fusion food truck that also has a brick-and-mortar restaurant (much preferred by me to chasing a truck around!). I'm ready to go back tomorrow! I took a friend who had never had Korean food before, and she's still raving about it :)

I just ate yesterday at KoJa, in Berkeley -- it's a Korean-Japanese fusion food truck that also has a brick-and-mortar restaurant (much preferred by me to chasing a truck around!). I'm ready to go back tomorrow! I took a friend who had never had Korean food before, and she's still raving about it :)

I've been meaning to catch the truck and didn't realize I could go to a restaurant! 

I've been meaning to catch the truck and didn't realize I could go to a restaurant! 

And it's not even that crowded! We've managed to find a table each time we've been there, especially if it's not at peak student times (lunch). Yum yum yum! Maybe I'll see you there! :) There's even a discount on the combo if you have a UC Berkeley student ID ...

There are food trucks down in Philly but I don't see them much in the 'burbs.  There is a town near us that has a few when there is a street festival on, but I don't see them all the time.  I'm always bummed when I pass the falafel truck in the University campus area of the city on the way to the orthodontist and wonder why I never leave time to stop. 

I do remember getting breakfast from the food truck that came around my work back in the early '90s.   Nice greasy egg-mcmuffin type breakfast sandwich and an ice-cold can of cream soda -  a beautiful thing after a night that started at happy hour and ended at last call.    There was mass exodus out of the office when we heard "La Cucaracha" playing in the parking lot.

I think food trucks have changed a bit since then.   So have I. 

I love food trucks.  Our area has a ton of great ones.

I eat lunch at them once a week or so and then almost every saturday my kids and I eat brunch from the fod trucks at the farmers market.  A local brewery has a weekly food truck night that we go to sometimes for a date night.  It's quite fun.

"P.S. We even liked a food truck movie, lol! (You will be hungry after this movie!)"  We saw this movie and loved it!

I live near Los Angeles, so there are food trucks galore. There are roach-coaches, too, and taco trucks. We love the newer "gourmet" good trucks. When we go to LACMA there are always 6 or 8 trucks across the street so we pick a different one every time. The local cupcake shop, which was the first winner on the cooking network I guess (I don't have satellite) has a their own truck and they announce their locations every day on Facebook. I just go to the shop since it's down the road. Our high school band has had a couple of fund raisers where 15-20 gourmet food trucks get together, a small admission is charged and that and a portion of sales goes to the band. It's pretty fun!

Heck yes!  We have a ton of great food trucks in Austin.

A few different trucks turn up at my husband's place of employment and he often gets lunch from one or another.  They tend to have more eclectic menus than a standard restaurant might.  We've purposely gone to a food truck (like left home with that intent) a couple/few times, and a couple of other times it's been a spontaneous stop.  But by far the most common food truck purchases in our family are my husband's lunch things.

There is a new Polish one I want to hunt down! I don't know why I feel weird about it...maybe bc they seem to always be at business parks or big companies during the day and I'd feel like an interloper.

I know that is stupid. I'll sit down and eat at restaurants by myself without a problem so I don't know why I'm hesitant to do this.

An Indian truck just moved in down the street. I'm just waiting for a chance to go scope out their menu. It replaces the "genuine New Orleans beignets" truck run by a lovely young couple with suspiciously Slavic accents. Mmmm beignets.

Wikipedia claims food trucks were invented in Texas. So that's true.

I have mostly seen taco trucks here but I've heard rumors there is a crepe truck and a hand crank ice cream truck that shows up at festivals. Mostly the taco trucks open at night in various parking lots.

The tacos are delicious! But it's rare that I'm out after 9 and also hungry.

Heck yes! We have a ton of great food trucks in Austin.

A few different trucks turn up at my husband's place of employment and he often gets lunch from one or another. They tend to have more eclectic menus than a standard restaurant might. We've purposely gone to a food truck (like left home with that intent) a couple/few times, and a couple of other times it's been a spontaneous stop. But by far the most common food truck purchases in our family are my husband's lunch things.

Awesome food trucks in Austin! And some of the best vegetarian fare. We live 100 miles away, and many of the Austin Favorites have slowly begun to show up here. I am ecstatic!

Not a single veggie restaurant in town, but the food trucks will immediately switch gloves to new ones and make fresh, amazing veggie food. Maybe because they are from Austin and just cool like that, but hey!

Great stuff.

My dd4 begs to go to a Greek one just because it has Hermes painted on the side:)

We don't have any here, other than the ones that are at county fair, etc. We did have a hot dog guy that hung out in front of the used kayak place, but he's in prison now for stealing $600,000 from the school district. As part of the sentencing settlement, the district ended up with the hot dog cart. We're hoping they'll keep it for football games!

Not exactly food trucks, but the egg roll/fajita stands on the University of Texas campus, run by a lovely Vietnamese family, and which fed just about every UT student in the '80s and '90s, turned out to be a ring for fencing stolen goods.

http://www.esri.com/news/arcnews/spring03articles/austin-texas-police.html

But the egg rolls were so good! And so cheap!

Downtown once a month there is a Friday evening where a lot of food trucks come together in one place. Each month has a different theme (last month was spicy, this month is breakfast). The food tricks make at least one special dish that goes with the theme for the month.

Last month my kids and I ate:

A tomato basil feta "pie" from a food truck run by a local farm that makes its own cheese.

Garlic spiral cut potatoes on a stick.

Chipotle BBQ ribs.

A chicken tamale and...something else from that truck, but I forget the other thing.

Freshly made macaroons.

Lavender lemonade.

Fresh mini doughnuts.

The next one is tonight!

http://eatthestreethawaii.com

Wow! I remember when they only did plate lunch!

Unsinkable, we do have food trucks around here--a couple towns over, mostly in the summer--but we haven't been. *sigh*

Not exactly food trucks, but the egg roll/fajita stands on the University of Texas campus, run by a lovely Vietnamese family, and which fed just about every UT student in the '80s and '90s, turned out to be a ring for fencing stolen goods.

http://www.esri.com/news/arcnews/spring03articles/austin-texas-police.html

But the egg rolls were so good! And so cheap!

OMG, hilarious.