Menu

people that bought our house for $450 k ended up knocking it down

Jeannie in NJ

we sold our house in Dec.  It was on a barrier island off of NJ.  It was large (for an island home) at 2200 sq ft.  43 years old.  Prior to selling we had spend about  $25,000 repairing pilings and some damage from Sandy (mostly on the garage, we repaired all that) plus about $10,000 (we did a lot of the work ourselves) on new kitchen, new appliances, new bathroom, re painted entire interior of house, etc , etc,   Hardwood floors needed to be re-done but we left that for new owners to deal with.  Well, dd drove by our previous house and it IS GONE, just an empty lot.  So they paid us $450,000 for the land.  We can only assume that they wanted to completely redo the house but decided to start from stratch.  But still that amount for just the value of the land.

actually - they paid more than $450K for the land.  they had to pay for the demo and hauling off debris.

we sold our house in Dec.  It was on a barrier island off of NJ.  It was large (for an island home) at 2200 sq ft.  43 years old.  Prior to selling we had spend about  $25,000 repairing pilings and some damage from Sandy (mostly on the garage, we repaired all that) plus about $10,000 (we did a lot of the work ourselves) on new kitchen, new appliances, new bathroom, re painted entire interior of house, etc , etc,   Hardwood floors needed to be re-done but we left that for new owners to deal with.  Well, dd drove by our previous house and it IS GONE, just an empty lot.  So they paid us $450,000 for the land.  We can only assume that they wanted to completely redo the house but decided to start from stratch.  But still that amount for just the value of the land.

I do sort of understand.  I've lived on this street for 30 years - and we've had three houses demo'd (with 11 built in their place.) currently with another two scheduled for demolition. (with two built in their place)  there is one more house left on 2 1/2+ acres. ( the son supposedly wants the property to live there.  I expect after the father dies - it will also be demo'd and turned into multiple houses.)

yes behind our house was the intercoastal waterway and marshes as for as you could see. No neighbors at all behind us. Tons of wildlife and beautiful sunsets. But financially we needed to sell and move. We do love our new house.

Wait...why wasn't I in on this sale? ;)

That location sounds perfect...although coastal living does give me pause due to storms.

Something similar happened here with a "mansion" that just could not get sold. It had been for sale for at least 8 years--as long as we've lived in this house. I finally looked it up and saw that almost nothing had been done inside except the wall studs. It was on 8 acres but not all of that is usable--at least 2-3 acres are hilly woods. The thing finally was bought--and immediately torn down and a brand new Ace hardware is soon to be opening there.

For them it made sense. The mansion would not have worked as an Ace hardware. And this location is between 2 stores that will be closing when this one opens.

I guess I can see why one might tear down and build new but it's still quite jolting to see it happen.

In NJ too, happens all the time. With multi million properties too.

Gosh, that is a bargain price, unless some government rule is going to take houses off barrier beac islands. The location sounds stunning. You were not surrounded by other homes? Wow! I would have loved your house as is, sounds wonderful.

We have 100 houses on our street and there are only 6 original ones left. All the others have been torn down over time. We took down a 1940s cottage that was practically uninhabitable to build our new home 10 years ago. We thought we were building next to established houses that would stay, but a few years ago a next-door neighbour tore down their house to build again. Theirs was already a second generation build from the 1970s. Since then several others from that era have been torn down, so now we are in a third generation of rebuilds. There are constantly construction trucks on the street and when one project finishes we all joke "who's next?". It is really surprising to see the 1970s and 1980s homes there one day and gone a few days later.

Remodeling is extremely expensive and very difficult and takes much longer than building something brand new. They probably decided it would be less expensive to level it and begin with everything brand new.

Yep. It seems counter-intuitive, but it's almost always quicker and easier to raze and rebuild than it is to renovate, and often cheaper as well. 

Keep your eyes open, and you'll notice that you rarely see chain restaurants being extensively remodeled. They pull 'em down and start over, even though they have to be completely closed for the duration. 

When I see this, I always hope that at least some of the materials are being recycled in some way. 

Gosh, that is a bargain price, unless some government rule is going to take houses off barrier beac islands. The location sounds stunning. You were not surrounded by other homes? Wow! I would have loved your house as is, sounds wonderful.

Yes, the house sounds wonderful but I remember her post detailing what it was like living through that hurricane. Scary stuff!!

yep.  there was one here on the lake front that sold for about $10M. then they sold "just" the house for about $600K (it was barged to one of the islands).  that house was built in 1978 - and the previous house on the property had been torn down to build it.

oh, the irony.  that bill gates house is the most expensive (by far) on the lake - and you have to know where to look to see it because it is so *visually* understated.

I've also seen where people raze it to the foundation, and perhaps keep part of an exterior wall - then they call it a "remodel"
around here - it's easier to get permits for remodels than new construction.

Yep. It seems counter-intuitive, but it's almost always quicker and easier to raze and rebuild than it is to renovate, and often cheaper as well. 

Keep your eyes open, and you'll notice that you rarely see chain restaurants being extensively remodeled. They pull 'em down and start over, even though they have to be completely closed for the duration. 

When I see this, I always hope that at least some of the materials are being recycled in some way. 

Unfortunately we see that a lot here, too (I'm on the CT coast)    It really makes me sad to see charming little houses demolished and replaced with huge monstrosities. DH's family has a beach house about 20 minutes away, right on the water. It's been in the family for two generations and I love it.  We've been going every summer since I met DH almost 30 years ago.   It is/was a true beach community and used to be full of little cottages where families would come and spend the summers.  Now, people from out of state-- mostly New York (just a fact- no offense meant to New Yorkers ;)) are coming in, tearing down the cottages and building massive McMansions, complete with granite countertops in the kitchen and central ac.  Our summers are usually not super hot, but especially right on the water there is always a nice ocean breeze.  But they come to the beach and then close all the windows to turn on the central air!  I don't get it.  And I miss the little shingled cottages. :(

The people who bought the house next to us basically did that as well.  They spent more than that, I'm pretty sure, and then they proceeded to gut the entire structure and remake the whole inside. They couldn't replace the outside structure because it's a rowhouse, but from what I could see they replaced everything else, including the floors and walls and beams. It made me feel poor, which is hilarious since we are obviously rich compared to the neighbors across the street who are big families all living in rented tiny apartments in terrible shape. But just destroying all that hart pine and old molding... we couldn't afford to toss that out like nothing.

Yes, the house sounds wonderful but I remember her post detailing what it was like living through that hurricane. Scary stuff!!

I was not sad to move after staying during Sandy, I have no desire to live on an island again.  We are far enough offshore (hopefully) maybe for hurricanes but still only 15 min max drive to the beach.

That's sad. :(

I mean, I know you were paid for it and everything, but it was still your home and I'm sure you were picturing a new family moving in and loving it there.

dh had tears in his eyes when we drove away from our house going to closing.  He said "This is the house we brought our babies to, all those memories".  But he does love our new house and especially to now  have gas heat and not electric baseboard any more.

Our family cottage that my dad built and we spent every summer and lots of Christmas's in was leveled. The family that bought it off of my parents said that they wanted a rustic cottage. By the time my parents sold it, it had water, hot water, shower, flush toilet, TV, and electric. I thought that it was way more luxury than "rustic," but I lived through all the years of no water, no power, no hot water, no indoor plumbing and no TV. I guess the "rustic" cottage was still not quite right. They leveled it and built a monstrous "house." It's very strange going back to see the old lot.