Menu

Do your young children eat on placemats?

carriede

If your whole family does not eat on placemats...

Do you have your young children eat on placemats? Currently, DS5 and DD2 eat off a plate (or bowl) that is sitting on a plastic placemat. So after a meal, I have to wipe down the placemat and the table. Every time. DH thinks it helps protect the table and keep it clean. I'm not so sure.

So what do y'all do?

DH and I have been using my parents' old dining table for 15 years.  My brother and I ate off of it as kids prior to our using it, along with most of the kids in our neighborhood and did not use placemats.   My own kids have used it their entire lives with no placemats.  My extended family and friends with kids have all used it with no placemats.  No stains, easy to clean because it is solid wood with a really good formica top.  The only damage it ever received was just recently when we accidentally put a burning candle in a glass container on top of it during a blackout which caused the wood to crack from the extreme heat.  If you have a really sturdy table with a really rugged top you do not need placemats, IMHO, for normal meals, especially if you clean it off after each meal.

Best wishes.... :)

Added:  However, upon occasion we use placemats anyway for educational purposes because there are some GREAT educational placemats out there... :)

Always!

But, not because I care about the table:) there are just so many cool placemats that teach a multitude of information effortlessly, lol.

Alex has learned presidents, the Preamble to the Constitution, measurements, and a host of other mostly random info from them so I don't mind the extra effort of wiping them down:)

Always!

But, not because I care about the table:) there are just so many cool placemats that teach a multitude of information effortlessly, lol.

Alex has learned presidents, the Preamble to the Constitution, measurements, and a host of other mostly random info from them so I don't mind the extra effort of wiping them down:)

I refuse to admit how many of these I have. (And I also refuse to go count them.)

We all use place mats, probably because I was raised with them, and they just feel right. The define a person's "own space" at table, making me feel like things are orderly, boundaried, and nicely squared away. It also helps the table make the many transitions from 'a place for activities' to 'a place that is ready for eating'. (Yes, I have to clean the place mats and the table under them, each time.)

With very young children (toddlers) however, we did not allow place mats, because a careless shift of the place mat sends things toppling and falling all over the place.

The only protective function of a place mat would be (I think) against scratching. My kids have to be convinced not to aimlessly rub their utensils on the surface of the table -- so, while reminders are ongoing, a table might be saved by a place mat.

Only if there's a tablecloth on the table! And in that case it's always a cloth placemat anyhow, so I'd still be washing it. 

Otherwise, I see no reason to wipe down *two* things!!  Plus, I don't really like the way placemats look.

We all use placemats, but they are fabric not plastic. I don't like the sound of glasses clunking down on the bare table, and also the things bolt mentioned.

The table still gets wiped before and after every meal just because that's what one does.

When we transition my youngest to a Jr. Chair at the table, we used a plastic placemat. It defeintly kept the mess contained and was easy to clean up. We ended up having everyone use a plastic placemat. Then everyone could do their own or we could assign someone to clear/clean the table and the other do to dishes. It also protects our table from stains and heat marks. 

We've never used placemats or tablecloths. Dh finished our table himself and put several layers of polyurethane on the table top so we wouldn't have to worry about damaging the table top with regular dining activities. Then we had ds1 who found it fascinating to see the tiny holes his fork made in the table top when he stabbed it. Even more fascinating were the tiny colored holes made by pens. :glare:

:laugh: 

Yeah, no one notices those anymore because now we have marker and newsprint stains. Yay.

:smilielol5:

I'm just glad mine hasn't learned how to undo the buckles on his high chair or I wouldn't even be able to keep him at the table. A placemat would just be one more thing for him to throw on the floor. Sometimes I think I birthed wolves.

We've never used placemats or tablecloths. Dh finished our table himself and put several layers of polyurethane on the table top so we wouldn't have to worry about damaging the table top with regular dining activities. Then we had ds1 who found it fascinating to see the tiny holes his fork made in the table top when he stabbed it. Even more fascinating were the tiny colored holes made by pens. :glare:

:laugh:

Yeah, no one notices those anymore because now we have marker and newsprint stains. Yay.

We must have twins separated at birth. At least our table is interesting to look at, in a painful sort of way.

I am considering getting a big sheet of plastic from the craft store and putting the whole table on one giant placemat.

This is exactly what we have done for years, and it works fabulously.  We replace the clear plastic every few years, but it is so worth it.  We put maps underneath ours, one on each end of the table.  I buy the sheets of plastic from Joanne's--we have a really huge table, so I buy it 4 yds. long.

I read this as Do young children eat their placentas?

I need a nap.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:   Me too.  I had to read it twice.

No.

I keep reading this thread as "Do your young children eat placenta?".  LOL.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Actually, my children eat while on chairs, not on placemats. :D

The official answer is no, we never used placemats. My kiddos always managed to spill something that ran under the placemat, so I had to wipe off placemats on both sides as well as the table. I'm just skipping extra work.

When my kids were young I used to have a clear plastic tablecloth and then I would put placemats between the plastic tablecloth and the table.  I would change the placemats each month to match the season.  But since the placemats were under the clear plastic tablecloth, clean up was a breeze. 

Myra