Menu

Question about beginner swim lesson (and small rant)

Tohru

My child had the very 1st lesson on Monday with an instructor that was FABULOUS! Unfortunately she was just a substitute.  We met the "real" instructor today and I am not sure if my expectations are skewed because of the great sub we had Monday.

My question is: Is it normal for the instructor to have the children out of the pool each.and.every.time they have something to say?  This is a beginner class, with a life guard on duty during lessons, and all children can touch the bottom of the pool.  The permanent instructor today had the children out of the pool about 75% of the time.

There were only 2 children in the class and both were shivering uncontrollably on the ledge, either waiting for a turn or for the instructor to quit talking.  On Monday, the sub had 3 children, she let them stay in the pool during each student's turn and while she was talking. 

I'm debating on whether or not to withdraw from the class since there are still 6 more sessions to go.

That does seem a bit odd.  There were only 2 kids?  Can you ask the instructor why?  Before withdrawing I think I would try to ask.  Perhaps there is a policy in place that the sub was unaware of.  Or perhaps the instructor is just overly protective and after you ask they will realize this really is unnecessary, especially with so small a class.

The only time I've seen an instructor do that is when the kids were fooling around in the water.

I'd withdraw. Or see if the sub has a regular class somewhere.

There wasn't any fooling around.  I didn't understand why she kept having them get out and sit on the ledge.

At our local rec center, the beginning classes do sit at the edge of pool, if there is only one instructor. Kids who can't swim will sometimes let go of the wall, forget that they can put their feet down and go under. 

With only two kids, though, I don't know. It might be the policy of the aquatic director,

I think it's pretty common in early classes because a lot of kids have anxiety about water and can't listen if they're in the water.  With only a couple kids, if those kids weren't afraid they could possibly make an exception though.

it can depend upon the instructor, but it's pretty typical where I take dudeling (and my olders) for lessons to have ickle firsties sitting on the ledge while the instructor talks. (and putting them in lifejackets when going to the deep end.)  they are usually more inclined to listen if they are not in the water.  some have even had them sit on the ledge while working with individual students - even if they can touch the ground.   some kids are easy going - and others are easily distracted.  a teacher does not know which group kids fall into during the first (or even second) lesson.

every class is a different level, and some kids can touch the bottom and other's can't. the instructor is likely teaching other classes as well and implementing safety precautions based upon level in all classes.

We had that at one lesson we did. I thought it was a complete waste of my & my kids' time. We stopped going after the third lesson even though I couldn't get my money back.  It just was pointless.

This was absolutely the case with my dd4's first group lessons, at 2 different places. She loves to swim, but absolutely dreaded going to lessons because she would get so cold. She spent 36 minutes of a 45 min class out of the water one day! I times it because I couldn't believe it:(

I finally ended up dropping the group lessons and did private lessons for 6 weeks. At that time she was able to jump to more advanced classes with fewer kids, more time in the water, and, IMHO, better instructors.

I honestly do not think it ended up being more expensive because of how quickly she was able to move up to the more advanced classes. If I had paid for months of group lessons to get her to the same point it would have been the same amount, but more time as well!

I was a swimming instructor. At my main pool, little ones always sat on the edge. It was deeper than it seemed and it only took a second for someone to let go and disappear under the water. I was not comfortable taking one kid for a spin and being out of arms reach and constant eye contact with people who could not stand flat footed with head and shoulders out of the water.

Every pool has danger spots, like a small but sharp drop off or a slightly sloping bottom, or a slippery finish that are not noticeable, but very dangerous.

I was a swimming instructor. At my main pool, little ones always sat on the edge. It was deeper than it seemed and it only took a second for someone to let go and disappear under the water. I was not comfortable taking one kid for a spin and being out of arms reach and constant eye contact with people who could not stand flat footed with head and shoulders out of the water.

Every pool has danger spots, like a small but sharp drop off or a slightly sloping bottom, or a slippery finish that are not noticeable, but very dangerous.

The children were over 4' tall in a 3' deep pool and it was a homeschool class.  It didn't make sense.  She had them get out everytime she spoke - it was like she didn't really want them in the pool.  In retrospect, she was in a bit of a foul mood. 

I dropped the class and filed a complaint with the aquatics director. 

Our beginner classes have a policy that if the instructor is not within arms reach of the child they have to be on the ledge.  But I would certainly question her having them out of the pool to speak to them.  If I remember right the instructor talked to the kids as a group before they ever got wet and then would speak to them individually as she worked with them in the water.  On a colder day they tended to have them all in the water at the ledge working on blowing bubbles or leg work.  Something that kept them from freezing.  But even then most small kids get the shivers quickly since they have smaller bodies and their core temp drops even in the water. 

The children were over 4' tall in a 3' deep pool and it was a homeschool class.  It didn't make sense.  She had them get out everytime she spoke - it was like she didn't really want them in the pool.  In retrospect, she was in a bit of a foul mood. 

I dropped the class and filed a complaint with the aquatics director. 

In that case, no. I can't really see the need. Perhaps she was having a bad day, or just isn't a very competent teacher.

Can you request the teacher you liked?

Maybe she is of the belief that kids don't pay attention well when they are in the water.  There probably is some truth to that.  Water safety is important enough to make sure the kids are all listening to what is said.

My kids were 3 at their first swim lesson.  There were maybe 6 kids in the class.  The teacher had them sit on the side while she told them what to do, and then she'd let 2 kids at a time in the water to practice the skill.  They did learn how to swim a little distance in that first set of lessons.

I was a swim teacher in a previous ( thinner) life. I always kept the kids in the water as much as possible. They didn't get as cold as they would in the breeze and it gets tiring to keep hopping out. I would rather they spend their energy learning to swim.

The young man who was my son's first swim instructor used to put my son on the deck a couple of times per class. But, he would keep splashing and drenching the kids on the deck with lots of pool water while talking to them to keep the body temperature warmer (pool was maintained at 82 degrees) - we used to think that he was very kind to be doing that to the shivering kids.

How much talking do you have to do in a swim class?  The classes my kids took had the instructor demonstrate something (which only took seconds), have two kids practice at a time, then hang on to the side or in the case of younger kids sit on the side with their legs in the water while two more practiced.  If there were only two kids they would have been in the water most of the time.  

We haven't had that experience (brrr!), but my 7 year old came home in tears because he got demoted back to the level he was promoted from a month ago.   :huh:    We were a little confused but are ending lessons for the summer time anyways so just let it go.

This has been our experience with beginning classes.  Facility regulations required that an adult be in the pool and within arm’s reach for under-6s and non-swimmers.  Sometimes there were two instructors per class. One worked one-on-one with students in turn, the other worked with the rest of the students at the wall.   Otherwise, the students sat on the wall waiting for their turn.  

I have found swimming levels to be arbitrary.  Too many students in one level – promote the best or demote the worst.   

That's a shame. Sounds like a poor teacher. With 2 students in a class, they should be in the water and actively learning to swim or becoming used to the feel of the water the entire class. If they get cold, it should be from being IN the water, not out of it.

Did you speak to the aquatic director, or just withdraw from the class?

Mine sit on the wall during class, but they have 3 instructors for 10-12 kids.  While two are working with kids individually, the wall sitters take turns practicing jumping in, having noodle races, and chasing rings with the instructor that's still there.

They do listen better out of the water, but it is hard on my skinny little 4yo, who shivers in a warm pool in 100 degree weather and wears sweatshirts until it's 85 degrees outside. Hopefully they'll pass into the next level after this session, where they stay in the water a bit more.

With school aged beginners (from physical size it sounds like the kids were over 6), I I have a routine were we do group work like bobs to start. Then, in the first class we establish that when I'm doing one on one or one on two, those whose are not gliding or floating with me are doing an exercise at the was. Usually the exercise is kicking and breathing, after a few weeks I add arm stroking to the kicking song breathing. We also hold the wall and lean back to work on positioning for back float. I rarely get kids out of the water. The kids all know if they are not working directly with me they are supposed to being something and I give reminders to those who need it.

With preschoolers I will get kids in an out a little more, because of issues with not being able to stand and jumping in, and letting go of the wall. My preschool classes are capped at 4 and I try to have two at a time away from the wall to limit sitting.

How the instructor handles the class depends on the age of the students, how fearful or impulsive students are, and how experienced at organizing the instructor is.

This has been our experience with beginning classes.  Facility regulations required that an adult be in the pool and within arm’s reach for under-6s and non-swimmers.  Sometimes there were two instructors per class. One worked one-on-one with students in turn, the other worked with the rest of the students at the wall.   Otherwise, the students sat on the wall waiting for their turn.  

I have found swimming levels to be arbitrary.  Too many students in one level – promote the best or demote the worst.   

That's interesting. There were a bunch of kids in my son's level but the one he got demoted to (his former level) had very few. He was def. the youngest in the group, as well.  Hmm.

This is how our Y is.  We suffered through it (the freezing on the side until it was their turn) until my boys were competent enough swimmers (age 4 or 5) to move up to the next group and spent more time swimming.  When dd was in the early swim classes at 3 years old, although there were 2 instructors for 6 kids, dd fell in twice and I had to jump in to scoop her up.  They told me that she must have been goofing off (she wasn't - it was the kid next to her that was and bumped into her) but even if that was the case, they should have been paying attention enough to keep the kids safe.  After an unsatisfactory response from the aquatics director, we went with private lessons after that and it was worth every cent.  She spent so much more time actually swimming and practicing her skills, thus progressing more quickly.