Menu

Took My Girls To See Maleficent

Chelli

We loved it too!

There were all ages in the theater we saw it in- but I did hear several of the younger kids 4-6' ish ask their parents a lot of "why" questions. The movie was pretty emotional, and I don't think young kids understand the motivation (good and/or bad) behind a lot of the actions of the characters. "Why did he take her____?" "Why does x hate y so much?" "Why is she so sad?" "Why didn't she ____ when he ___?" Those were the questions I heard. If I had a young, very emotional or sensitive child- I might not take them to see it on the big screen- but just view it at home.

My DS (almost 10) requested to not go see it in the theater because he doesn't like watching loud "dark" movies on the big screen- he'll watch it at home when we buy it :)

Hmmm.....I think ages would really depend on what types of movies your child had seen before as far as the scariness factor goes.

My girls have seen all of the Harry Potter's and The Hobbit movies. This movie is probably on the level of the first two Harry Potter movies as far as fear factor.

The movie brought up some great talking points on the drive home about being scorned, love, the capacity for both good and bad in a person.

We really enjoyed it, and it was a really beautiful film.

I very much enjoyed it as well. Lots of fascinating imagery including Maleficent as sphinx, Valkyrie, fallen angel and perhaps even nun withdrawn from worldly things.

My heart was in my throat for a large part of it; the subtext of Maleficent's story is quite dark, and I might hesitate to take a very sensitive young person to see it.

We thought it was excellent but don't really think it's a kid movie.  There were only a couple of kids in the showing we went to and they alternated between being bored and scared.  They seemed to lose interest after Maleficent grew up, but enjoyed when Aurora was a little girl. 

We thought it was excellent but don't really think it's a kid movie.  There were only a couple of kids in the showing we went to and they alternated between being bored and scared.  They seemed to lose interest after Maleficent grew up, but enjoyed when Aurora was a little girl.

The above is kind of puzzling to me. My kids were hooked from the beginning to the end. In fact I just asked them if they thought it was boring and the answer was a resounding, "No!" Hmmmm...maybe we're just an odd bunch!  :biggrinjester:

The above is kind of puzzling to me. My kids were hooked from the beginning to the end. In fact I just asked them if they thought it was boring and the answer was a resounding, "No!" Hmmmm...maybe we're just an odd bunch!  :biggrinjester:

Well, there were only a couple of kids in there, so my experience was quite limited. I see yours are 6 and ten years old- the oldest kid in there was about 6- the other three or four were no older than 6.  When I said 'kid movie' I meant kids 8 and under. By ten lots of kids are more tweens than kids. 

I've noticed that lots of kids seem to get bored during a full length movie.  I wonder if these are kids who are hooked on electronics and don't enjoy long movies.   Our grands are more used to reading or hearing stories read to them, and screen time is quite limited. So when they see a movie, it's a Big Deal and they are glued to their seat the whole time.   

Your kids are the 'odd bunch' that I love! Kids who love a good story. 

Oh, I understand now. No I wouldn't have taken a kid that young. I ALMOST didn't take my 6 year old because I was afraid she would find it too scary, but she was fine. My dd10 ADORED it. The first thing she said when we left the theater was, "We HAVE to buy that on DVD when it comes out!"

They love fairy tales though. All kinds and all versions, especially when they take one and change it around.

No, I don't think so.  My 8 year old loved it and so did my friends' kids (many saw it this weekend).

I went and saw it sans kids -- I really enjoyed it.  I thought it was visually stunning.  

My girls (6 and 8) probably could've handled it.  They've watched the Narnia movies and I'd say the level of violence/fighting is akin to those.  The difference I saw (and which made me glad I left them behind) was the WHY of the violence.  Why did such a bad thing happen to Maleficent?  Why did Stefan hate her so much at the end?  The lines between good and bad are blurred (purposefully) and I think that might've been confusing for them?  I do plan to buy it when it's released on dvd, though. :)  

I went and saw it sans kids -- I really enjoyed it.  I thought it was visually stunning.  

My girls (6 and 8) probably could've handled it.  They've watched the Narnia movies and I'd say the level of violence/fighting is akin to those.  The difference I saw (and which made me glad I left them behind) was the WHY of the violence.  Why did such a bad thing happen to Maleficent?  Why did Stefan hate her so much at the end?  The lines between good and bad are blurred (purposefully) and I think that might've been confusing for them?  I do plan to buy it when it's released on dvd, though. :)

I thought his guilt made him go crazy. Kind of like The Tell-Tale Heart but with wings.

I actually liked the blurring of the lines. To me it helped me talk about the capacity for good and bad that is within all of us, and just because someone does an awful thing doesn't mean they can't be redeemed.

I thought his guilt made him go crazy. Kind of like The Tell-Tale Heart but with wings.

I actually liked the blurring of the lines. To me it helped me talk about the capacity for good and bad that is within all of us, and just because someone does an awful thing doesn't mean they can't be redeemed.

I agree.  

And I liked the ending, the message of redemption.

I just meant that these are not the clear-cut, good-guy/bad-guy characters that *my kids* may be used to.  (And I wanted to watch the movie in peace, without having to answer "Why" :p :D)

I liked it. My only complaint was the beauty emphasis. It wasn't huge or anything, but still, if you were going to make a wish for a girl baby, would beauty be one of the three? Should it be? I can think of several more important things I would give.

I don't stick my head in the sand about physical attractiveness and what it gets you in life, but it would be nice to think it's not one of the top three things!

That would make an interesting conversation with your kids. Should the pixie who wished beauty for Aurora have chosen something else?

I liked it. My only complaint was the beauty emphasis. It wasn't huge or anything, but still, if you were going to make a wish for a girl baby, would beauty be one of the three? Should it be? I can think of several more important things I would give.

I don't stick my head in the sand about physical attractiveness and what it gets you in life, but it would be nice to think it's not one of the top three things!

That would make an interesting conversation with your kids. Should the pixie who wished beauty for Aurora have chosen something else?

Well, that's in the original fairy tale, but I get what you're saying. I'll bring it up to my girls.

Would 11 year old boys like it? I've never done the "girl book," "boy book," "girl movie," boy movie. They just like a good story.

One is quite sensitive though. Do any animals get hurt? Any TeA?

Thanks for the review!

Alley

No TeA, I don't recall any animals being hurt. There were several young boys in the theatre and they seemed to enjoy it. It's not the frilly, prissy princessy movie the Disney cartoon makes it to  be. :)

Would 11 year old boys like it? I've never done the "girl book," "boy book," "girl movie," boy movie. They just like a good story.

One is quite sensitive though. Do any animals get hurt? Any TeA?

Thanks for the review!

Alley

No TeA, there is a gentle/sweet kiss or 2.

No animals hurt, but there are a couple of battle scenes.  There is a pretty wrenching scene where Maleficent realizes the cruel loss of her wings and cries out.  There is the death of a "bad" character (the exact moment not shown, IIRC, but immediately afterward, body shown).

Plenty of action, some comedy/slap-stick in the form of the 3 fairy protectors.

I agree.  

And I liked the ending, the message of redemption.

I just meant that these are not the clear-cut, good-guy/bad-guy characters that *my kids* may be used to.  (And I wanted to watch the movie in peace, without having to answer "Why" :p :D)

This reminds me of one of SWB's audio lectures, maybe the one on literary analysis. She talks about how younger children aren't ready for ambiguity; they want clearcut villains and good guys, and it doesn't work to tell a first grader that there is no bad guy, but rather 'a confluence of malign events.' 

I'm sure the exact quote is better - I literally LOL every time I hear her say that. 

Dh owes me a chick flick or something for our anniversary because he was supposed to get the day off and then ended up scheduling meetings. So since we had to cancel our all day out together, I figure that if any theater in driving distance is still playing this on the 11th, he will be taking me without complaint! :D

Can anyone advise on which fairytales might be good reading before taking the kids to this, please?

DS and I have read the David Walser translation of Sleeping Beauty, but alas, I can't find it as an ebook. I'm finding that the further back I search, the more gruesome the tale becomes! Which would be more relevant to the movie: Briar Rose; Sleeping Beauty; or The Sun, The Moon, and Talia?

We enjoyed the movie here, too.  Even ds, 16, found it enjoyable.  I thought it was a great twist on the fairy tale.  I did feel there could have been some more character development.  There was definitely room for more detail.

Seriously, kept waiting to hear that Harry Potter laugh and was thankful I did not.

Can anyone advise on which fairytales might be good reading before taking the kids to this, please?

DS and I have read the David Walser translation of Sleeping Beauty, but alas, I can't find it as an ebook. I'm finding that the further back I search, the more gruesome the tale becomes! Which would be more relevant to the movie: Briar Rose; Sleeping Beauty; or The Sun, The Moon, and Talia?

Honestly the movie expects you to be familiar with Disney's animated version of the story. That's the one they are playing off.