Menu

What are your college students up to this summer?

Farmgirl70

My dd (20) is interviewing on Tuesday to do a paid internship with a nonprofit that will be 8 hours a week and also some babysitting.  Ds (19) should hear any second from The Exploratorium, a hands on science museum that he worked at for three years during high school.  Work and resting their brains and some playing, too.  How about yours?

We just got back from Disneyland. It's likely the last time we'll have her to ourselves. She's headed to Florida to see my parents for a couple of weeks and then off to San Diego for an internship with UCSD. She's doing an MSTP feeder program that's part research and part Cardiology. So some work, some play here too :)

DD-21 is working full-time at her amusement park artist job, where she's a shift manager now and helps train new staff as well as schedule and order inventory. DS-19 (with his newly minted AA) is working almost full-time at his summer job as a zipline tour lead guide in the redwoods. He's also investigating a next step, either 4-year school or business marketing internship. Both are taking off the week for family reunion in late July. My 17yo dd also has her *first* job this summer, as a p/t lifeguard for a local pool...I am her chauffeur, but she is learning to ride the bus also. 

Ds19 just got back from a trip to Brazil with a few friends, and has already gone off to work at a summer camp for children and adults with disabilities. It looks like he'll have two weeks off in the middle of the summer and almost two before college starts, but he doesn't have any specific plans for his time off. I think he's hoping for a road trip or two, and I'm hoping he'll be able to squeeze in some family beach time. 

Ds has moved into a house near campus and is settling in and adjusting to living independently this summer. He's taking a summer course, Russian (the first 2 semester's worth in 6 weeks), and doing research in math with his advisor and several other math majors. I didn't understand what "math research" might look like but he educated me.

He's also taking some kind of short prep class so that he can TA a comp sci class next year. We'll be able to get together for our trip to visit dh's family in Florida in August and there will be spur of the moment trips to visit my extended family too as they are within striking distance of him when he's at school.

Oldest just graduated (college) and is starting his new job as a manager of a warehouse.  It's not likely that we'll see him this summer, other than a quick "drop by" as we're headed back from FL.

Middle (finished sophomore year) is home this year except for 2 weeks in July when he'll be on a medical mission trip to the Ivory Coast.  While home he's assisting with taking down and putting up fences as needed on our farm due to Columbia Gas replacing a pipeline across our property.  We'll pay him for this rather than paying someone else.  (Columbia Gas pays, of course, but they pay us to have it done since it's livestock fencing.)  This will allow him the freedom to do his medical mission trip and to join us on a reminiscing Disney trip prior to dropping youngest off at college in early August.  He's also an RA in a freshman dorm and a TA in Orgo next year, so I feel he's doing his part toward earning $$ for college.  The rest of his time has been spent helping out here at home (he's a great helper) and catching up with friends who are home.

Youngest (graduating high school Friday, so just starting college) will also be helping with the fence and continuing at his job at Chick Fil A.  He has a one week trip to an Indian reservation our church partners with in July, but otherwise is mainly trying to get in all the time with his friends that he can as they've come to the realization that life is about to take them different ways.

Ds heads to San Jose next week for a few days of corporate indoctrination ;) and then to his internship with Cisco a few hours away.

Dd19 is still looking for a job for the summer. She has an on-campus job lined up for next year at the writing center, so that's good.

Dd14 will be taking an AoPS class, volunteering at ballet camp, and then taking several weeks of ballet intensive with the company. Oh, and going to China with us in 21 days :D

Creekland: what reservation is he going to? I spent a month living and working on a reservation when I was in school. It was in northeastern Montana, the Fort Peck Tribal Area. It was quite the education for this lifelong easterner-Big Sky indeed!! Montana is very dramatic.

We're so thankful that both of our college students will be able to continue their on-campus jobs, full-time,  for the summer.  

My ds (21)  is working in the IT department for his third summer.

My dd (20) is working in Enrollment Services for her third summer and also taking one summer session class.

They have been very fortunate (and we keep trying to remind them) to have these kinds of jobs on campus:  part-time through the school year and full-time during the summer.

Youngest (heading to college in the fall) will be a music intern at Colonial Williamsburg. She will also be working there playing the harpsichord, fifing, singing, and dancing in various programs. (The unpaid internship comes with some perks that merely working there doesn't -- like free lessons on various instruments and doing guided research -- so doing a combination of earning money and getting those perks is a dream come true for her!)

She will also be doing a second solo recital and playing the organ for church services and accompanying a musical and practicing up a storm..... Her prof at her college and she have already decided on a bunch of music for her to learn!

She is not letting any moss grow under her feet! :001_smile:

I love this annual thread.  "Our" kids are doing so many very interesting things!  Gwen -- the music internship at Williamsburg sounds like heaven.  Supposed they'd take a retired homeschool mom?

My oldest ds graduated college last year and has been working his dream job since October.  He's working, as he puts it, with The Mouse, in Anaheim...

My youngest ds just finished his sophomore year (with another 4.0, not that I'm obnoxiously proud or anything  :laugh: )  He is home til early July when he heads back out to do geology field research with his professor in Utah, then they go back to the labs on campus in Ohio to work til school begins.  He is going to be a TA this fall in a 300 level class.  

Calvin (away to university in the autumn) is spending a month in the States discovering his American roots.  He'll be staying with family and friends, playing bass guitar with the old friend for whom he is named, going to a music festival.....

He wants to learn lots of practical things this summer too.  He's going to be cooking with me a lot - one of his potential universities has exclusively self-catering halls of residence, so he needs to get some skills going.

L

I love this annual thread.  "Our" kids are doing so many very interesting things!   

:iagree:   I absolutely love seeing the diversity of what Hive kids are doing!

Creekland: what reservation is he going to? I spent a month living and working on a reservation when I was in school. It was in northeastern Montana, the Fort Peck Tribal Area. It was quite the education for this lifelong easterner-Big Sky indeed!! Montana is very dramatic.

He's going to a Navajo tribe in AZ.  It will be his second time there as he really enjoyed his first and wants to catch up on what some of the kids/adults are doing.

With both boys gone in July hubby and I might have to make some sort of plans of our own... though chances are he'll need to be getting work projects done as it's his busy season and we'll be gone a good part of August.  I may be "stuck" playing with ponies.  ;)

My dd (20) is interviewing on Tuesday to do a paid internship with a nonprofit that will be 8 hours a week and also some babysitting.  Ds (19) should hear any second from The Exploratorium, a hands on science museum that he worked at for three years during high school.  Work and resting their brains and some playing, too.  How about yours?

Oh, we LOVE the Exploratorium! What a cool place to work! I haven't been to its new location yet (although I've been by it several times) ... I loved that old Palace of Fine Arts ... 

My older son (18; he'll be a sophomore next year) is working 20 hr/wk on campus (in Utah) in an engineering department doing administrative work and programming; he'll take physics over the summer.

Younger son (17; going to college this fall) is working full-time at a national lab and taking math at a CSU right now (finals are in mid-June) and will take history at a CC this summer. Tuesdays and Thursdays he gets to work (by choice) at 6 a.m., commutes to his CSU class in the afternoon, then goes back to work until 7 pm. I wish I had his energy! He loves his job -- cyber security -- and is learning a TON.

I have really debated about posting here because my post is a bittersweet one and more bitter than sweet at that.  I have really not publicly acknowledged the situation and as an extrovert that is a little hard for me, but I am trying to respect my daughter's privacy.

My oldest just fished her sophomore year and she is taking classes this summer so that she can finish her mechanical engineering degree in four years rather than five.

My younger daughter just finished her junior year and was offered an internship at NASA in space navigation.  Unfortunately she had to turn it down and is spending the first part of the summer in inpatient treatment for an eating disorder.

I have to say that while I am/was very proud that she was offered the internship, I am just as proud, if not more proud, that she acknowledged that she has a problem and is taking very hard steps to fix it.

Youngest (heading to college in the fall) will be a music intern at Colonial Williamsburg. She will also be working there playing the harpsichord, fifing, singing, and dancing in various programs. (The unpaid internship comes with some perks that merely working there doesn't -- like free lessons on various instruments and doing guided research -- so doing a combination of earning money and getting those perks is a dream come true for her!)

She will also be doing a second solo recital and playing the organ for church services and accompanying a musical and practicing up a storm..... Her prof at her college and she have already decided on a bunch of music for her to learn!

She is not letting any moss grow under her feet! :001_smile:

I'm green w/ envy!

DD has a ton of music to work on all summer too. She will work at a music camp (but it's only for one week) and is devoting time and effort to scales. She'll also try to knock out some credits for her crazy major (that requires far more than the "normal" 120 credit hours). Her scholarship is only for 4 years, so she needs to do a lot of extra work in the summers and winter breaks to get it all done in four. 

She's also playing in a Memorial Day concert today. :) She will probably play in the July 4th concerts too. 

ETA: The camp will pay, but dd has no idea how much. It will be great for her to gain this experience, since she wants to be a music teacher who gives private lessons, but she'd also like to run camps like this. So, while it will be an exhausting week, it will teach her so much. 

Tania, hugs to your dd and your whole family.  That is a courageous move.  I spent some time inpatient when I was 20 due to depression and anxiety.  This was in the middle of my college years.  I returned after a year off from college with renewed focus and better grades.  It was the right choice.  I have gone on to have a very fine life which has included a masters degree and a family. I pray that this experience will be exactly what your dd needs. 

Ds20 is back on campus as a paid research assistant.  He is continuing the project he worked on last summer.  Waaah.  I miss my boy.  DS18 is sort of a college student.  He has taken mostly college classes this past year and will graduate in June.  He is supposed to be looking for work.  He did apply to some internships, but didn't get them so he needs to pound the pavement with all the other kids who are home from college. 

Tania, you are not the only one with a struggling child. It's very painful to watch as an outsider and I am SO very happy for you and your daughter that she has sought help. Many hugs and supportive, loving thoughts to you-and your daughter of course.

Tania,

I am so sorry that your family has to deal with this.  We had our own scare with mental illness last fall with our son - he spent 6 weeks in a partial inpatient program.  He is still struggling, but is more stable.  I still have fears about him going away to college next year, but I know that staying home will only exacerbate his problems. 

My former college student is now a college grad.  But I wanted to mention how things from those undergrad years can extend beyond.  There is a field school that my son attended in Britain after his sophomore year.  Last summer he returned as low level staff; this summer, he is moving up the totem pole.  While it is a temporary job, it is one with numerous contacts.  We encouraged him to follow this path to see where it might lead.

Plan B is following through with contacts made at the professional conference he attended in the spring.  His college does a great job of sending students off to conferences to rub elbows with others in their fields.

I'd be right there with you!  I'm glad your dd made the better decision, and kudos to you for standing right there with her (proudly!).

Thank you, I am glad that she voluntarily entered treatment too.  I was very scared that she wouldn't.  That her sense of self was entirely too tied up in achieving to allow for "failure"

Tania, hugs to your dd and your whole family.  That is a courageous move.  I spent some time inpatient when I was 20 due to depression and anxiety.  This was in the middle of my college years.  I returned after a year off from college with renewed focus and better grades.  It was the right choice.  I have gone on to have a very fine life which has included a masters degree and a family. I pray that this experience will be exactly what your dd needs. 

I am always so glad to hear from people with good outcomes.  We are in a scary place right now and I so wish that I could see five years into the future and see how it all works out.

Tania, you are not the only one with a struggling child. It's very painful to watch as an outsider and I am SO very happy for you and your daughter that she has sought help. Many hugs and supportive, loving thoughts to you-and your daughter of course.

Thank You so much.

Tania,

I am so sorry that your family has to deal with this.  We had our own scare with mental illness last fall with our son - he spent 6 weeks in a partial inpatient program.  He is still struggling, but is more stable.  I still have fears about him going away to college next year, but I know that staying home will only exacerbate his problems. 

I certainly know the fear of the future. May daughter would like to return to her school in the fall for her senior year and to graduate and I am really afraid that she will be too fragile, too new in her recovery to handle it but I don't feel as though I can refuse her the chance to try.  We are discussing many different options to provide her with support in the fall.

...This will allow him the freedom to do his medical mission trip and to join us on a reminiscing Disney trip prior to dropping youngest off at college in early August.

Good luck on the whole Disney trip thing. We just took our own kids on a similar 5 day reminiscing trip and I pretty much spent the whole time welling up with tears like a goober. I couldn't help it! We've been going to Disney since i was pregnant with my third and I just keep looking at these giant, full grown people folding themselves into a flying elephant or squeezing into a teacup and wonder when they got so long limbed and gorgeous. So bitter and so sweet :)

My oldest ds graduated college last year and has been working his dream job since October. He's working, as he puts it, with The Mouse, in Anaheim...

What is he doing, Jenn? I have a middle daughter with the same dream. She stood and watched one of the on-site artists for two hours while the rest of us entertained ourselves. As we were leaving, she showed the artist some of her own work (ok, I did, lol) and the artist told my daughter that she was about the same level at her age and to keep working because she thinks she has a good chance if she wants it enough to work hard for it and hone her craft. This is my sweetest, shyest, least self-confident child, so that was a huge gift that artist gave her. She has been walking on air all week.

Thank you, I am glad that she voluntarily entered treatment too. I was very scared that she wouldn't. That her sense of self was entirely too tied up in achieving to allow for "failure"

I am always so glad to hear from people with good outcomes. We are in a scary place right now and I so wish that I could see five years into the future and see how it all works out.

Thank You so much.

I certainly know the fear of the future. May daughter would like to return to her school in the fall for her senior year and to graduate and I am really afraid that she will be too fragile, too new in her recovery to handle it but I don't feel as though I can refuse her the chance to try. We are discussing many different options to provide her with support in the fall.

Hugs, Tania. So many people walk around with brave faces, and yet I think more often than not we've all experienced heartache due to our young adult children. It's tough to guide multiple children into adulthood without some level of trauma.

What is he doing, Jenn? I have a middle daughter with the same dream. She stood and watched one of the on-site artists for two hours while the rest of us entertained ourselves. As we were leaving, she showed the artist some of her own work (ok, I did, lol) and the artist told my daughter that she was about the same level at her age and to keep working because she thinks she has a good chance if she wants it enough to work hard for it and hone her craft. This is my sweetest, shyest, least self-confident child, so that was a huge gift that artist gave her. She has been walking on air all week.

Are you talking about the people who do the street art - portraits, etc. - or artisans? Because my oldest works at Knotts but for a company that subcontracts out the portrait artists, face painters, cartoonists, etc. at both amusement parks. If your dd has a portfolio, I know who she can contact!

Are you talking about the people who do the street art - portraits, etc. - or artisans? Because my oldest works at Knotts but for a company that subcontracts out the portrait artists, face painters, cartoonists, etc. at both amusement parks. If your dd has a portfolio, I know who she can contact!

No, the artist was one of the artists for hire that sit in the stores and do Disney sketches upon request. This particular daughter is only 12 but I would love to connect in a few years! Thank you so much for the offer. What was your oldest's education like?

Good luck on the whole Disney trip thing. We just took our own kids on a similar 5 day reminiscing trip and I pretty much spent the whole time welling up with tears like a goober. I couldn't help it! We've been going to Disney since i was pregnant with my third and I just keep looking at these giant, full grown people folding themselves into a flying elephant or squeezing into a teacup and wonder when they got so long limbed and gorgeous. So bitter and so sweet :)

:crying: My tears are welling up along with you!

I look at mine and think - how did my pudgy little guys suddenly turn into men? (Sunrise, sunset ... I don't remember growing older, when did they? :crying:)

I look at mine and think - how did my pudgy little guys suddenly turn into men? (Sunrise, sunset ... I don't remember growing older, when did they? :crying:)

So... I'm not the only one who thinks of that song often?  I have a tough time listening to it.

Wait until you have grandkids and you see them doing something exactly like their daddy at that age and the images of watching your baby fold on top of their baby. It is surreal.

Our grandkids have been living with us for the past several weeks and our 22 month old grandson looks just like his daddy did. He does so many things that pull memories that I haven't thought about in over 2 decades. Here is just one example of how I see his little mind whiling just like his engineer daddy's. (This is an edited version of I shared with some friends. )

When Ds was about grandson's age, we bought him a clickety, clack Fisher Price train. We put the track together and turned on the train. He watched the train go around the track for a few minutes. You could see his little mind whirling. Then he ran to a drawer and got out dh's screwdriver, grabbed the train and sat down trying to use the screwdriver to open it up. He was an engineer at heart before he was even 2.

We took the kids to the beach to play in the sand. I filled up some of the buckets with water. There was a small piece of wood floating in one to the buckets. Grandson picked it up and looked at it, put it back in the water and watched it again. He did that several times, examining it each time he picked it up. Then he walked around picking up other things and putting them in the water and seeing what they would do.

It reminded me so much of ds when he was little it was overwhelming. It is was the exact same look. The same determination! He is definitely his daddy's son.

I wasn't sure whether college-students-to-be counted, but since others have spoken up:

My son, who has finished a year of dual enrollment and is headed to full-time enrollment in the fall, will be doing a short tour with his choir to NYC. They are scheduled to sing at Carnegie Hall as part of a a choral festival and to perform at the newly-opened 9/11 memorial as well as a couple of churches. They will, of course, also do a little sight-seeing while they are in town. 

He will be taking advantage of his last opportunity to do a youth production at a local theatre. He has been accepted to the program, but casting will be determined after they re-audition in the first few days of rehearsal. This will keep him busy every weekday afternoon from early June through mid-August, with eight performances scheduled on the last couple of weekends.

In the evenings, he will be teaching a dance class or two (and getting paid for the first time to do so) and probably taking a few classes, too. He may also work the dance studio's day camps for a week or two, depending on how the schedule works out.

And, of course, when he's not doing any of those things, we'll be shopping and packing to get him moved into his dorm in the fall.

I have the double whammy this summer. My daughter, who finished college early and has been living at home for a couple of years working and saving, is moving out for real in less than three weeks. My son is scheduled to move into his dorm in late August.  We keep talking about trying to do things "one last time before . . ." So, I'm surrounded every day by a series of "lasts," and I'm kind of a mess. 

Ok, I had to watch (again):

When did they grow up?  To those with younger kids, hug them, enjoy them, and embrace the chaos!

Younger ds is in China doing study-abroad research (gotta love Skype) and older ds is finishing up a paper that he will be presenting at an aerospace conference in June.  Heady stuff for him.  A lot of hieroglyphics for mom.  Then off to the first "real" job at NASA.  A dream come true for a guy who was launching Estes rockets in the back yard seemingly only a minute ago . . .

So... I'm not the only one who thinks of that song often?  I have a tough time listening to it.

This is the one that gets to me --> 100 Years.  Always wondered how actors cry on stage.  This answers it for me.

No, the artist was one of the artists for hire that sit in the stores and do Disney sketches upon request. This particular daughter is only 12 but I would love to connect in a few years! Thank you so much for the offer. What was your oldest's education like?

OK, so she has a few years, LOL. Oldest dd had art skills through a local business called The Art House from the time she was 5th grade (paid for by our charter). In high school this was a 1.5 hour class once/week. We made it a full credit with art appreciation, museum visits, leading a 4-H art project, competing in fairs, etc. So, 4 credits of art in high school. The summer of her junior year she took a portfolio class thru the same business, which involved bringing in and reviewing all her work, including private sketchbooks, choosing the best in the different media, mounting and photographing it, writing an artist's statement, etc. We debated over that class, but it was very, very much worth it. That portfolio went with her to National Portfolio Day and went in with her college applications. It got her a scholarship to art college that amounts to about $5K/year off of tuition, so the $300 for the class paid off, not to mention the skills to do her own future portfolios & present them. 

She took the portfolio to her first (and only) job interview, where it turns out she was one of the people hired not just because of her art skills but because she could pass the basic math test, altho' it did take her awhile to figure out balancing the cash register. (Teach your kids the values of rolled coins.) She's been working for Kaaman's Art Co. (they subcontract out to amusement parks around the US.) all 4 years of her college career, starting with "hanimals" (pictures made from handprints) and working her way thru henna art, face painting, cartooning, and now pastel portraits. The pay is partly commission, so she only makes the higher dollars when the park is busy, but she's also gotten to go to private parties, charity events, etc. She has a range of skills that would allow her to do this as a weekend business if she wanted to. And some of her in-park clients have asked her to do portraits for them. It's been great for learning to talk to and deal with all kinds of people.

FYI, art colleges often offer weekend drawing sessions and/or portfolio classes for high schoolers in the local area. Some of these are life drawing (nudes) and some are focused on other skills. I wish I'd known more about this when dd was in high school.

Thank you for the informative post!! I'm more of a math/science girl myself, so I'm having trouble guiding my art student.

OK, so she has a few years, LOL. Oldest dd had art skills through a local business called The Art House from the time she was 5th grade (paid for by our charter). In high school this was a 1.5 hour class once/week. We made it a full credit with art appreciation, museum visits, leading a 4-H art project, competing in fairs, etc. So, 4 credits of art in high school. The summer of her junior year she took a portfolio class thru the same business, which involved bringing in and reviewing all her work, including private sketchbooks, choosing the best in the different media, mounting and photographing it, writing an artist's statement, etc. We debated over that class, but it was very, very much worth it. That portfolio went with her to National Portfolio Day and went in with her college applications. It got her a scholarship to art college that amounts to about $5K/year off of tuition, so the $300 for the class paid off, not to mention the skills to do her own future portfolios & present them.

She took the portfolio to her first (and only) job interview, where it turns out she was one of the people hired not just because of her art skills but because she could pass the basic math test, altho' it did take her awhile to figure out balancing the cash register. (Teach your kids the values of rolled coins.) She's been working for Kaaman's Art Co. (they subcontract out to amusement parks around the US.) all 4 years of her college career, starting with "hanimals" (pictures made from handprints) and working her way thru henna art, face painting, cartooning, and now pastel portraits. The pay is partly commission, so she only makes the higher dollars when the park is busy, but she's also gotten to go to private parties, charity events, etc. She has a range of skills that would allow her to do this as a weekend business if she wanted to. And some of her in-park clients have asked her to do portraits for them. It's been great for learning to talk to and deal with all kinds of people.

FYI, art colleges often offer weekend drawing sessions and/or portfolio classes for high schoolers in the local area. Some of these are life drawing (nudes) and some are focused on other skills. I wish I'd known more about this when dd was in high school.

Oldest dd will be working in her regular FT job, which she does not love (P&C Insurance Agent).  She is making plans for a big change this fall.  Dd #2 will be graduating in a couple of weeks, preparing for grad school, working on a recording for her indie band, and hopefully finding a part-time job that she can hang onto during the school year.  Dd #3 did some quick legwork at the end of the year and landed an unpaid internship in NYC with a known contemporary artist's studio.  She found a sublet in Brooklyn at a reasonable (for NYC) price, and we're helping her to make it happen.  I also have an "adopted" son who lives with us and attends college in L.A.  He is going to be attending the Aspen Music Festival this summer.  

I have loved reading about the interesting and solid things that many of our kids are doing this summer!  Does anyone have kids working in a job in their hometown that helps them appreciate a college education?  I'd love to hear the stories.....

Oldest (20) will continue her cosmetology program throughout the summer, finishing in August, and then start working in a NYC salon by September.  Younger dd (17- starting college in the fall) has a week-long dance Nationals in Atlantic City in July, then we'll spend the rest of the summer buying dorm stuff.  

I have loved reading about the interesting and solid things that many of our kids are doing this summer!  Does anyone have kids working in a job in their hometown that helps them appreciate a college education?  I'd love to hear the stories.....

When oldest finished his freshman year he took a summer job working at a local food factory and often commented on how the vast majority of the regulars worked all week (complaining), would get their paycheck on the weekend, head to the bar, spend their paycheck, and return on Monday complaining that they were broke.  He became more determined that summer that he was definitely getting his degree and NOT spending every paycheck on something so fleeting.

Youngest is still working at Chick Fil A as a basic order taker.  He likes it, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't want it as a career.

Middle has never had a "basic" job like that, but like his other two brothers, he also helps his dad with engineering fieldwork (getting measurements similar to surveying) when he's home.

Meanwhile, middle just got accepted to his first choice Research Assistant position for the fall.  It's in Linguistics - figuring out how/why people assign meanings to words/phrases and how kids acquire meaning.  It's a field I NEVER would have thought he'd be interested in, but he's been taking BCS and Linguistics classes and is hooked...  Many kudos to universities with oodles of different options for kids!  His life plan is still Pre-Med, so I believe this research is mainly "academic fun" for him - but who knows?

Wow, it's fascinating and inspiring to hear what everyone is doing! 

One of my daughters is attending a 5-year program that is accomplished in 4 years because it goes year-round.  So, she is continuing full-time studies throughout the summer with a 3-week break in August.  She'll be coming home then (yay!) to spend time with family and to work in a family business.  (It's her only chance to earn a little money since her visa in the country where she is studying only allows her to study.)

Another daughter will be spending one last summer working at her beloved national park, hiking the mountains in every spare moment.  Right before school ended, she received an internship offer from our state's department of education -- a perfect opportunity for her since she would like to go into educational policy.  But, she is going to put that on hold until she graduates next December.

My soon-to-be college student will arrive home (from her year abroad) too late to get a decent job anywhere, but I have plenty of home projects for her to do that I'll pay her for. 

Tania, 

Hugs to you as you navigate this.  We've had girls go through eating disorders and anxiety. It is much more difficult to deal with this than it is a two year old.  Terrible Twos is nothing compared to the struggles a young adult can have. 

Ds.1 is going on 2 medical missions trips this summer. The first one is for a week working with doctors in the medical school at El Salvador and then going with them to the villages there. The second one is for 2 weeks with a surgeon working with a non profit organization in the Dominican Republic. In addition, he is really looking forward to attending the national forensics tournament with Ds.2 and going on a trip to Gatlinberg, TN.