Menu

Our mattress and box springs are old enough to drive, vote, and drink. In a few years, they will start thinking about running for president!

Kareni

Our mattress and box springs are old enough to drive, vote, and drink.  In a few years, they will start thinking about running for president!   Okay, the latter is a slight exaggeration as they are only about 23 years old; however, the truth is that we are in dire need of a new set.

If you have bought a new mattress and/or box springs in the recent past, what did you purchase?  Are you pleased, displeased, or ambivalent about what you bought?  I'd love to hear feedback as we are definitely in the market to buy.   (Sleeping in that crevasse is getting rather old ....)

Regards,

Kareni

Mary Hunt with Deptproof living just had an article on this.  I can't get it to link but her main thing was NO pillow tops---save the money for a top quality mattress pad instead and buy the heaviest mattress you can afford as it is higher quality and will last longer.

That still doesn't help getting the right "feel" in a mattress.  I bought one 2 1/2 years ago and we don't like it but dont' have the $ to replace it either.

We purchased the memory foam mattress from Costco a number of years ago and love it.  In case of fire I'm first getting the kids, then my pictures, then my recipes, and then the mattress out.  :)  It was reasonably priced too.  

We just replaced our old enough to vote mattress.  We bought it from Macys.com during a sale. Their customer service is great.  I can't say I love the mattress but it was the best we could afford. It beats sleeping in the pit of my old mattress.

Mary Hunt with Debtproof living just had an article on this.  I can't get it to link but her main thing was NO pillow tops---save the money for a top quality mattress pad instead and buy the heaviest mattress you can afford as it is higher quality and will last longer.

Thanks for the mention of Mary Hunt's article.  I was able to find a copy that does not require registration on her site.  It's a good article and there are some informative comments also. 

How to Buy a Mattress

I hear you on the feel of the mattress, Ottakee.  I'm hoping we can make a good choice as we too have limited funds.

Regards,

Kareni

We purchased the memory foam mattress from Costco a number of years ago and love it.  In case of fire I'm first getting the kids, then my pictures, then my recipes, and then the mattress out.   :)  It was reasonably priced too.  

(I'm assuming your husband can get out on his own?!)

Thanks for your story, aggieamy.  Your mattress was mentioned favorably in the comments on the Mary Hunt article that Ottakee metioned.

Regards,

Kareni

We just replaced our old enough to vote mattress.  We bought it from Macys.com during a sale. Their customer service is great.  I can't say I love the mattress but it was the best we could afford. It beats sleeping in the pit of my old mattress.

Thanks for your comments, kewb.  It's good to hear that Macys.com has good service.  Do you know the name of your particular mattress?

And boy do I hear you on sleeping in the pit!

Regards,

Kareni

I believe it is a Sealy Posturepedic.  Also, the offgassing was not too bad.  They delivered it, I covered it in baking soda, cracked a window, and let it sit all day before vacuuming up the baking soda.  No chemical smell at all when we went to sleep that night.

Mary Hunt with Deptproof living just had an article on this.  I can't get it to link but her main thing was NO pillow tops---save the money for a top quality mattress pad instead and buy the heaviest mattress you can afford as it is higher quality and will last longer.

That still doesn't help getting the right "feel" in a mattress.  I bought one 2 1/2 years ago and we don't like it but dont' have the $ to replace it either.

I haven't read the article but I agree about not getting a pillow top - I would love to get one with no "up" and "down" side.  And we have a set that is about 5 years old but we've never really liked it.  I get why there are no returns on mattresses (can you imagine?) but it's too bad you can't camp out in a furniture store for a week or so to really try them.

I just have to post to say you have the best thread title on the boards right now! :lol:

Why thank you kindly, Stacia!

Kareni, I don't know whether there is Groupon in your area, but I get offers for mattress sets all the time, might be something worth investigating.

I don't envy you - I really hate to shop for mattresses!!

We've only done it once before (thus the 23 year old mattress), but I remember not being too fond of the process.  Thanks for the Groupon mention; I'll research that.

Regards,

Kareni

Last year we bought a Serta icomfort gel mattress and box spring or foundation--whichever it requires.  I love this mattress!  It is the only set we have ever bought that I have recommended to anyone. It is so comfortable and worth the money we spent on it.

We have a pillow top and *love* it! It's over 11 years old and is still the most uber comfortable bed I've slept on. I'm thin and bony so I definitely feel it if things are uncomfortable. This one is great. I believe it's a Sealy Posturpedic.

Our pillow-top mattress set is almost 10 years old, and we're still quite happy with it. We slept on mattresses all over the Austin area before we decided on this one, and we haven't regretted it.

We have a Tempurpedic mattress, and like agieamy, after certain other things (and people), I'd go back for the mattress.  I don't think I could get it out though, as it weighs about 500 lbs (not really, but it sure seems like it), but I'd sure try.  James Bond is on his own!  We've had our mattress for about 8 years, and I could never go back to a regular mattress.  When we go on vacation, I MISS my bed.

I've been pretty happy with the IKEA mattress we've had for 8 years, and the price was reasonable.  I totally agree about not getting a pillowtop mattress.  We have a separate pillow top (also from IKEA), and I've been so glad to have it whenever we've had incidents with bodily fluids.  It turned out that we could take the canvas cover off of the pillow top, wash it, air out the foam core, and reassemble the whole thing!  Even if we hadn't been able to though, at least we would only have needed to replace the pillow top, rather than an entire mattress.

I think one of the first decisions you need to make is whether you want memory foam or not.  Some people swear by memory foam, but I had an interesting chat with a saleswoman whom I have known a long time  at my local furniture store.  She said that many women at my time time of life (ahem) find memory foam increases evening discomfort because of heat retention.  Now I happen to live in a warm place as well (except this winter) so her comments led me to do some reading on the subject.

When we replaced our mattress last spring, we chose to go with a traditional inner spring type mattress, no pillow top. 

When we bought this house nine years ago, we purchased two mattresses. Nightmare….. Our first one, a high end Sealy, cratered terribly in under a week. So we traded for a Stearns & Foster. It cratered within a month. We are not heavy. The S & F was so bad it messed up my back… it ended up making a crater for each of us, and was like sleeping on the side of a hill. It was replaced (because the warranty was useless) with the Costco memory foam (Novaform gel), but I'm not on it.. (snorer is).  Ds's Sealy has been replaced 2-3 times under warranty, cratering and he is light. And the springs squeak. We came back so much with both (different stores) and they literally demonized us rather than admit the beds were not good. They were expensive, and we do not have a lot of money… Awful, awful, awful.

So…
1) Make sure you buy where the warranties are good. That will NOT be a mattress store, no matter what they tell you. Costco is really good.
2) When they say you can sleep on it for trial, get all the details. Usually you can trade for another, but NOT get your money back. We were in a situation where we wanted to replace with a lower priced bed, and they would NOT give us back the difference (a mattress store).
3) The no flip is a disaster…. you always sleep in the same spot, so it always craters. So the bed isn't level. I'm not sure what the answer is.  Right now I'm sleeping on a 20+ year old twin mattress that is the best bed in the house… an old fashioned luxury firm two sided mattress. Its tired, but still better than most out there. I would kill to be able to replace all of our mattresses with "luxury firm" two sided that you flip. Best.beds.ever.

We wanted a latex mattress, but couldn't afford a solely latex one, so bought the Night Therapy "Better than Latex" one at Sam's Club.

We love it so much that we upgraded the kids to the same mattresses (although thinner, I think they got an 8" or 9"). 

We have a pillow top from Sam's Club and it's good. We got a 3" memory foam topper for it which I loved, especially when pregnant, but dh hated it. So we cut it in half and had a 2 level bed for quite a while. We got rid of the topper a couple years ago and the mattress felt like a rock comparatively, but I got used to it.

Someone here recommended White Lotus when we were looking last year.

We now have 2 organic cotton and wool mattresses from them, and love them! DS had been sleeping on a brand new sealy, and his asthma was out of control. Buying organic, without the chemical flame retardant (ours uses wool instead) was one of our many steps in controlling his asthma. Funny thing is DH no longer snores as much (!), and doesn't wake with a runny nose. :)

They always have specials and sales, and our shipping was free.

It's kind of cool to have a handmade mattress. :)

We sleep on a king pillow top that we got at costco maybe 5 years ago. It is super comfortable. Dd sleeps on a similar twin from costco. She has the most comfortable bed ever. We recently spent two years living abroad and couldn't take our mattress with us. Instead we brought the costco nova foam mattress. That was pretty comfortable too. We only used it for 2.5 years but it held up well. I would've been happy with it long term.

I guess I would recommend any mattress from costco. Costco's philosophy for home good type things is to sell a pretty limited selection but to only sell things on the higher end of the quality spectrum. So their mattresses probably aren't the absolute highest quality you can buy, but are pretty close behind. Plus they are great about guaranteeing their products. Even if I you don't shop there normally, it would be worth the $50 to join and order a mattress online.

I will admit we recently replaced a 30 year old mattress in our guest room (our guests are so pleased) with a mid-range Serta.  No complaints from houseguests thus far.

I bought an Aireloom mattress for my own bed a few years ago from a local mattress chain (Mancini's), and love it.  Great quality - heavy to work with, though.  I prefer a firmer mattress, myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone here recommended White Lotus when we were looking last year.

We now have 2 organic cotton and wool mattresses from them, and love them! DS had been sleeping on a brand new sealy, and his asthma was out of control. Buying organic, without the chemical flame retardant (ours uses wool instead) was one of our many steps in controlling his asthma. Funny thing is DH no longer snores as much (!), and doesn't wake with a runny nose. :)

They always have specials and sales, and our shipping was free.

It's kind of cool to have a handmade mattress. :)

We've been looking at these mattresses, but I'm concerned that you can't return them. Which model did you get and how did you decide? Love to hear more about your decision process and what else you considered.

Our pillow-top mattress set is almost 10 years old, and we're still quite happy with it. We slept on mattresses all over the Austin area before we decided on this one, and we haven't regretted it.

So you're saying you did a lot of sleeping around? :eek:

Say it isn't so!!! :D

So anyway, all of a sudden I'm thinking of shopping for a new mattress...

http://www.costco.com/Sleep-Science-10%22-King-Memory-Foam-Mattress.product.11472925.html

Is this the Costco Memory Foam mattress that was talked about up thread?

That looks like the one we have but I think ours is bigger than 10".  Ours might be a 14" from that company.  We LOVE it.

Tagging to read later. We have. Even planning aaa purchase for months and can't find what feels like the righ choice. Think I want a latex mattress.

Also need a bed frame too because our bed just can't be squeak free. Would love something that fits in the frame we have because other than the insane squeaks, I like our bed.

• 1 month later...

Our mattress and box springs are old enough to drive, vote, and drink. In a few years, they will start thinking about running for president! Okay, the latter is a slight exaggeration as they are only about 23 years old; however, the truth is that we are in dire need of a new set.

If you have bought a new mattress and/or box springs in the recent past, what did you purchase? Are you pleased, displeased, or ambivalent about what you bought? I'd love to hear feedback as we are definitely in the market to buy. (Sleeping in that crevasse is getting rather old ....)

Regards,

Kareni

What'd ya get???

What'd ya get???

We move painfully slowly when it comes to a big ticket item purchase.  But, as it happens, we have a friend who is accompanying us to Costco tomorrow so that we can look at the mattresses there.  I'll keep you posted!

Regards,

Kareni

We move painfully slowly when it comes to a big ticket item purchase.  But, as it happens, we have a friend who is accompanying us to Costco tomorrow so that we can look at the mattresses there.  I'll keep you posted!

Oh, honey, DH and I wrote that book. Want me to autograph it for you?

Regards,

Kareni

Excellent. I look forward to your review.  :) 

(Cleaning up my previous post that didn't split the quote like I wanted. I was on my tablet too.)