Menu

The Crap I buy these days

nevergiveup

May I take your thread to warn everyone NOT to buy those covers that are supposed to stretch across nearly every pot and container no matter what shape?! I thought I had come upon a unique invention at a home show we recently attended. These covers can go in the oven and supposedly do not contain harmful substances like plastic wrap BUT they don't go on or stay on. I tried to wrestle one over a standard size pyrex (not even the big one) and it came off and launch itself across the kitchen. I almost dropped my precious container. It's pure CR%P!

I know exactly what you mean in the last month and a half we have had our five month old printer go out, our five yo washer,  our stove, our dryer and our refrigerator. Thankfully we were able to fix the refrigerator.  The rest we had to replace. We have already had to call the repairman out for the NEW dryer and stove. I bought a pair of boots they started falling apart after less than a week. So I splurged and bought another pair and spent over a hundred dollars for them hoping they would last. Now only three weeks after buying they are wearing out at the toes.  What gives!!!!!!! I am now just holding my breathe wondering what's next. If you all don't hear from me for a while it is because my laptop broke. I don't have any money to replace anything else. LIke I said this is all within a month and a half time frame!

May I take your thread to warn everyone NOT to buy those covers that are supposed to stretch across nearly every pot and container no matter what shape?! I thought I had come upon a unique invention at a home show we recently attended. These covers can go in the oven and supposedly do not contain harmful substances like plastic wrap BUT they don't go on or stay on. I tried to wrestle one over a standard size pyrex (not even the big one) and it came off and launch itself across the kitchen. I almost dropped my precious container. It's pure CR%P!

That's disappointing to hear. I saw them at our county fair last fall and I didn't buy them. I have been looking at them ever since. Guess I will go with the other topper that comes in different shapes like a flower or snowflake.

It makes me crazy, too. My KitchenAid blender that is about two years old is shot, and KitchenAid used to be a good brand. We had our Whirlpool Duet front load washer for seven years and it needed four repairs. The last time the repair was going to be several hundred dollars so I went to a used appliance place and bought a 20+ year old Maytag that has been going great for about 18 months so far.

This is why, no matter what my kids and Dh say I am not replacing my 25 year old refrigerator.  Every once in a while (last one was 5 years ago)  it needs a repair which turns out to be relatively inexpensive.  Every time our appliance repair guy looks at it he tells me not to buy a new fridge b/c the new ones are junk.  Of course he might be biased, but I don't think he's making a killing off our once in a while repairs.

ETA: Besides, it's that stunning gold color that I'm sure will be back in style once the stainless steel craze wears off!  :lol: 

I have the first "edition" of the Whirlpool duets. According to my parents repairman (notice my parents), the first ones used German parts and are very reliable. He said after that the parts were cheap and they break more often. We've had them for about 11-12 years. 

Coffee pots seems to be our issue. We had a Krups bought in 1992 that lasted ten years, since then it's been hit or miss and even the Krups brand seems to have gone downhill. Our last coffee pot lasted a year, the previous one about three. I'm holding my breath on this one. 

I get the extended warranties on any major appliance now. I have received more than one brand new appliance because of that...the washer was 3 months from it's extended warranty end time and I got a brand new one, my choice of brand. It frustrates me, but would be so much more infuriating if I didn't get those warranties.

Dh always had the belief that you get what you pay for. I don't think that holds water anymore. We research and pour over reviews and pay more in the hopes that our appliances will last. It's just not true anymore.

Just another way to suck dollars out of our pockets.

Exactly

This is why, no matter what my kids and Dh say I am not replacing my 25 year old refrigerator.  Every once in a while (last one was 5 years ago)  it needs a repair which turns out to be relatively inexpensive.  Every time our appliance repair guy looks at it he tells me not to buy a new fridge b/c the new ones are junk.  Of course he might be biased, but I don't think he's making a killing off our once in a while repairs.

ETA: Besides, it's that stunning gold color that I'm sure will be back in style once the stainless steel craze wears off!  :lol: 

We're on refrigerator #3, dishwasher #3 and washer #2 since moving into this house. I'd rather have an autumn gold fridge that is rock solid than a stylish stainless steel one. 

But I'm sure that color is going to come back into vogue any minute now...along with the avocado green ones. g

Two words - 'planned obsolescence'.  It is awful, but I am sure the manufacturers build it in.  There's more money to be made in replacing items than fixing them.  It is a very sad thing.  It seems a lot of folks don't take pride in workmanship anymore.  When was the last time any of us took our shoes to a 'cobbler' for repair?  :(   *sigh*  Hang on to your old stuff!

Two words - 'planned obsolescence'.  It is awful, but I am sure the manufacturers build it in.  There's more money to be made in replacing items than fixing them.  It is a very sad thing.  It seems a lot of folks don't take pride in workmanship anymore.  When was the last time any of us took our shoes to a 'cobbler' for repair?  :(   *sigh*  Hang on to your old stuff!

Up here we still have a shoe repair fella in the nearest city. My mom took my dads boots in there a few months ago. I took my dh's boots in about 2 years ago and a couple years before that. His boots last a minimum of 5 years for his work boots and he still have good boots that he bought for our wedding 11 years ago.

Planned obsolescence-yes!!  I would also encourage anyone who has had this experience to go to amazon or whatever online location offers your junky product for sale and review it approptiately.  It's the only way to pressure companies who sell junk to improve their products.  By the same token, check online reviews whenever possible when buying new products, particularly Consumer Reports for appliances.  They've never steered me wrong. 

Oh, it's bad. So, so, so bad.

However, in our demand for low prices we really have no one to blame but ourselves. Oftentimes it really is a matter of you get what you pay for. The last new cardigan sweater I bought unravelled in one wear. No joke. I took it back. I was reminded why buying used is better for me. Besides socks and undies and shoes the only brand new item of clothing I own is a hoodie but it is grown and entirely made in the USA and guaranteed for 10 years. Not cheap though. I think it was $89. Still, there is quality in every detail.

We take our shoes in for repair if they are repairable. We get years and years out of them this way. We also repaired on our own an old Wii a couple of weeks ago, our car last week, a broken phone screen this week. in the past, we have repaired an old video camera, my photo timer that is used as a kitchen timer, the TV and any number of electronic devices and household items. I have a lifetime supply of parts for my record player (I stocked up when the record store folded, lol). I also darn wool socks and sweaters. I don't bother with the cotton ones though. Those I just trash when they get holes. I don't buy into the idea that because a repair is pricey relative to replacement it is automatically better to buy a new one. Not buying a new one is, in and of itself, valuable. Many people that I know fix their stuff if possible.

We take our shoes in for repair if they are repairable. We get years and years out of them this way. We also repaired on our own an old Wii a couple of weeks ago, our car last week, a broken phone screen this week. in the past, we have repaired an old video camera, my photo timer that is used as a kitchen timer, the TV and any number of electronic devices and household items. I have a lifetime supply of parts for my record player (I stocked up when the record store folded, lol). I also darn wool socks and sweaters. I don't bother with the cotton ones though. Those I just trash when they get holes. I don't buy into the idea that because a repair is pricey relative to replacement it is automatically better to buy a new one. Not buying a new one is, in and of itself, valuable. Many people that I know fix their stuff if possible.

We currently have 2 DVD players with paper clips holding down the arm that's supposed to hold the DVDs down so the laser can read them :)

I get so frustrated weeding through reviews.  MOST are by new users of the item, so longevity is not reviewed at all.

Then there are those who are upset that the item came 2 weeks late and review THAT instead of the actual product.  

Dawn

Planned obsolescence-yes!!  I would also encourage anyone who has had this experience to go to amazon or whatever online location offers your junky product for sale and review it approptiately.  It's the only way to pressure companies who sell junk to improve their products.  By the same token, check online reviews whenever possible when buying new products, particularly Consumer Reports for appliances.  They've never steered me wrong. 

Misery loves company--you all are making me feel a lot better!

28 year old Maytag washer still chugging.

28 year old Whirpool dryer still chugging and getting more ambitious--it doesn't want to shut off.

A pair of boots I owned for 25 years finally bit the dirt.

21 year old Suburban still going strong.

In these things I find comfort.

Things are made to break.  

However, I have a husband who happens to be handy with fixing things.  He doesn't always have the TIME, but he does have the know how.

Right now, my left door speaker in my car buzzes loudly.  Apparently this is a known issue on my make of car, the speaker clips that hold the speaker on break and the speaker is flopping a bit and makes a horrible noise with playing bass sounds.

The refrigerator has a water leak.  While we were on vacation it leaked and ruined the hardwood floor under it.  So, now we have to replace the flooring and fix the fridge (4 to 5 year old fridge).

Our washing machine went out, but we googled and found out it was just the electrical panel ($250 replacement) and that it was a known issue that could be replaced by soldering the internal panel where it comes loose.  I could not have done it, but DH just soldered it together and it has worked for the past 6 years since just fine.  My guess is that the store replaces them for $250, takes your old panel, and solders it, and then sells it as "refurbished."  

SCAM, SCAM, SCAM!

There are other things going out right now, but I won't bore you with them all.

Dawn

Two words - 'planned obsolescence'. It is awful, but I am sure the manufacturers build it in. There's more money to be made in replacing items than fixing them. It is a very sad thing. It seems a lot of folks don't take pride in workmanship anymore. When was the last time any of us took our shoes to a 'cobbler' for repair? :( *sigh* Hang on to your old stuff!

My dd is going to visit her grandfather in NY soon and is thrilled at the possibility of getting her beloved boots fixed. :)

I bought a Bissell steam mop in March 2013.  It worked great for a few months, but by December 2013 it had totally conked out.  $80+ for something that worked less than ten months.

OTOH we have a Honda push mower that's 28 years old and still cranks on the first pull every time (well, maybe it needs a couple of pulls the first time each spring).  It has an all steel deck and not a sign of rust.

Manual can openers. I can not find one that is not junk and will actually completely open a can without wrestling with it. I had a little bitty camp style one that was used when my mom gave it to me 32 years ago. It worked very well until this year. I think it is finally wearing out. Over the years I've tried others. Some fell apart in my hands, others work for a few weeks then suddenly refuse to do their job.

My Whirlpool washer lasted 30 years with dh repairing it as needed. It bit the dust two years ago. I hope the one I have now lasts half that long.

Our hot water heater with a lifetime warranty started leaking last year, it was 7 years old. My husband had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get them to replace it. Well, just noticed yesterday that the ONE YEAR OLD tank is leaking!! I'm very glad his head did not explode, yet.

That's disappointing to hear. I saw them at our county fair last fall and I didn't buy them. I have been looking at them ever since. Guess I will go with the other topper that comes in different shapes like a flower or snowflake.

If you were eyeballing those plastic-look-alike covers (I tossed the box and don't remember their name), I'd go with something else or just buy glass bowls with lids. These things are very frustrating. On second thought...do you want mine? I am obviously not using them. They are just sitting in a drawer and every time I see them, I get mad.

Manual can openers. I can not find one that is not junk and will actually completely open a can without wrestling with it. I had a little bitty camp style one that was used when my mom gave it to me 32 years ago. It worked very well until this year. I think it is finally wearing out. Over the years I've tried others. Some fell apart in my hands, others work for a few weeks then suddenly refuse to do their job.

My Whirlpool washer lasted 30 years with dh repairing it as needed. It bit the dust two years ago. I hope the one I have now lasts half that long.

Go to the thrift store. I got an old heavy duty manual can opener there for 99 cents. Works perfectly. There were lots of them there.

I was sad when we let our washer and dryer go with the sale of our last house. 15years and were still going strong. I HATE the ones in our rental now. The repair man says they are great, but they tear up and fade my clothes something awful. Can't wait to get a new pair with our next move!

If you were eyeballing those plastic-look-alike covers (I tossed the box and don't remember their name), I'd go with something else or just buy glass bowls with lids. These things are very frustrating. On second thought...do you want mine? I am obviously not using them. They are just sitting in a drawer and every time I see them, I get mad.

I was thinking of the Charles Viancin covers. Is that what you have? Sorry - I can't figure out how to link on the ipad.

This week my less than 2 yr old iron almost started on fire, it was overheating so badly.  

Costco replaced it.  Then I remembered the iron I took back was a replacement for the one that stopped heating after a year.

Am I hard on irons?  No, they look like brand new, altho I do use them alot being ironing DH's shirts and my sewing. 

Tomorrow we head to Costco with the humidifier we bought last winter and is now leaking.

That's why we shop at Costco and have American Express to back up whatever Costco won't take back.

My 10 year old hair dryer just bit the dust. Meanwhile the Conair that my dad bought me when handhelds first came out over 30 years ago is still going strong.  And my mother won't give it back to me.

It is very frustrating. 

I bring my good shoes to the cobbler when they need a repair.  Not my payless cheapos.

I get so frustrated weeding through reviews.  MOST are by new users of the item, so longevity is not reviewed at all.

Then there are those who are upset that the item came 2 weeks late and review THAT instead of the actual product.  

Dawn

This is my dh's main complaint about reviews. We don't care how nice it looked coming out of the box and that it has worked all of 1 day. . . 

Our 20 year old basic Kenmore washer and dryer WILL.NOT.DIE. Someone gave us a 7 year old Duet and I have trouble with it a couple of times a week. Now we aren't sure what to do. Move the old one back in??? 

Krups toaster oven, that we thankfully didn't pay full price for, has many issues. 

Yeah, stuff is crap these days. Especially clothes. Even high priced, used to be quality. Just sent a Land's End parka back because of zipper issues. 

Definitely not you.  Bought a Ninja Blender that didn't come with a blade.  Bought a coat with a broken snap, another coat that zipper broke, An Iphone that didn't work after a month, two properties that the Title company screwed up the access on, an expensive brand (can't remember) fry pan that food stuck in it like crazy.  I tossed it and went for the cheap one, a new fridge that lasted a year before the heating element went out,  I could go on...but that's all within the year.  Seems I spend more time returning than keeping.  Junk.  They make junk.

I was thinking of the Charles Viancin covers. Is that what you have? Sorry - I can't figure out how to link on the ipad.

No. Mine are clear plastic looking,  but are evidently some form of stretchy silicone. There are 4 different sizes and between those you are supposed to be able to stretch one or the other over most of your bowls for storage. Unfortunately, not so!

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment_reviews/1445-silicone-food-covers

Scroll to the bottom. Mine are similar to these "Silikomart" thingies and I completely concur with their evaluation.

So you all are saying I should be happy with my 12 yo washer/dryer, my 15-20 yo refrigerator and my who knows how old dishwasher? When did dishwashers first come out? Good news is that (knock on wood) none of them have given me any trouble besides not being the prettiest.

We bought a new dishwasher in our old house and that thing took over an hour to run a load! Nuts!

No. Mine are clear plastic looking, but are evidently some form of stretchy silicone. There are 4 different sizes and between those you are supposed to be able to stretch one or the other over most of your bowls for storage. Unfortunately, not so!

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment_reviews/1445-silicone-food-covers

Scroll to the bottom. Mine are similar to these "Silikomart" thingies and I completely concur with their evaluation.

Those are the ones that I wanted to by at the fair. Thanks for saving me the expense! Your link rates the Rachel Ray ones the highest. I will be on the look-out for those now. Maybe Kohls carries them.

How long did your old dishwasher take?

I don't think I have seen one that is a shorter cycle than almost 2 hours.

Isn't that crazy! I can wash and dry laundry in that amount of time. Not to mention cook dinner 2-3 times.

It's been over 5 years since I lived there so I don't remember. I just recall it taking forever. My current old school, work horse only takes about 20 minutes and does a fine job cleaning.

Isn't that crazy! I can wash and dry laundry in that amount of time. Not to mention cook dinner 2-3 times.

It's been over 5 years since I lived there so I don't remember. I just recall it taking forever. My current old school, work horse only takes about 20 minutes and does a fine job cleaning.

Does your dishwasher have a 'speed' cycle? I learned to use ours when I realized that the 'normal' cycle was 90 minutes long. I puffy heart our speed cycle--- 40 minutes including heated dry.

As for the OP and all of the other posts---- I hate buying stuff. Our 20 year old coffee maker died over the summer and we nearly cried. It was a Krups.... the new ones look horribly cheap (yet are quite expensive), so we went with a smaller, cheaper Krups that got good reviews on Amazon. I'm scared it won't last the year. Dh insists on a cone filter coffee maker, so choices are limited, but if it was up to me, I'd get a Black & Decker or Mr. Coffee.

We also have a 20 y/o toaster that I'm afraid is dying off. One side of the bread gets nicely brown, but the other side has burn areas next to undone areas. I tell it I love it every day, hoping it will last. I do the same with my 28 y/o iron.

We also have a 25 y/o upright freezer in the garage that we bought off a neighbor for $50, and a 19 y/o fridge/freezer combo that has spent its life in the garage. Both have outlived THREE new in-the-kitchen fridges. In fact, our 8y/o fridge is dying. I just want it to die when there is a great sale going on. Sigh.

Also, my 25y/o dishes are outlasting the newer ones, and my *ahem* 20 year old $30 shoes have outlasted umpteen pairs of $70 ones. I now buy new shoes at Payless because they last just as long as the ones from the good department stores, which is one to two years.

I have a 35y/o suede coat (it was my grandmother's, but a classic style) that has outlasted every gosh darned coat I have owned, and it still looks new. It has a "Sears" label in it. Try buying that quality today!! 

I HATE buying stuff!!

Most of our larger purchases have been okay but we've been through 5 ice cream scoopers in the last year. Ridiculous. Of course, it is a very heavily used item around here :cool:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Arnold-Racine-Wi-Pat-Feb-1-1927-Ice-Cream-Scoop-Perfect-/131096722384?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e85f93bd0

Here is the ebay link for one just like my great grandma's.  Assuming the date of 1927 on the handle is when she  got it my scoop is about 86 years old.  It works perfectly.  I love the metal mechanisms on it.

For all you coffee snobs out there, my husband swears my phin filters. They are Asian-style, simple, stainless steel filters that you set over your cup. They come in 6-11 oz sizes. They make the best coffee, don't require paper filters or use the costly coffee cups. Just add grounds, then water and it filters fresh coffee in minutes. Gravity, not screw kind. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Phin