Menu

s/o "Classical" music- if you were on a desert island...

I talk to the trees

...and could only listen to the music of two composers, who would they be?  Mine would probably be Bach and Vaughan Williams, though it is very difficult to narrow it down that far.

I was amazed by the replies on the other thread that said they were bored or irritated by what they perceive to be "Classical" music. (Thanks to Jen in NY for clearing up the actual definition, btw!) There is so much out there, I cannot imagine finding nothing that appeals to you. William Alwyn, for example would be found in the "classical" section of a music store, but was a prolific film composer as well.

So let's hear it! Who would you choose, and why?

Practically impossible!!

In my old age, I would have to agree with you about Bach... never really liked it much as a kid but love lots of it more and more as I age (have you heard Simone Dinnerstein's Goldberg Variations?? To die for!) Plus, he was prolific, so lots to bring along. :)

So hard to choose a second! Brahms? Schuman? Dvorak? I do love the British composers from the early 20thC, too like Vaughan Williams and Holst - Yes! All of those. Arg.....

Can't do it.

Maybe Charles Ives because his music is so stinkin' inventive?

Maybe Mahler... so we'd have the heights and depths and everything in between -- the symphonies and the song cycles??

Yes, I think that would be it for me ... Bach and Mahler...

Gosh... that was hard!

Just an aside...

Stravinsky -- ugh! :bored:

I went to a symphony once that was playing The Rite of Spring. (I was not familiar with the piece.) I very quickly had a terrible, terrible migraine from it. :blink:  I *so* wish that I had known that the Paris audience rioted during the debut because that would have given me the courage to stand up & leave during the performance! :laugh:

So, no Stravinsky on my deserted island!

Guest submarines

Just an aside...

Stravinsky -- ugh! :bored:

I went to a symphony once that was playing The Rite of Spring. (I was not familiar with the piece.) I very quickly had a terrible, terrible migraine from it. :blink:  I *so* wish that I had known that the Paris audience rioted during the debut because that would have given me the courage to stand up & leave during the performance! :laugh:

So, no Stravinsky on my deserted island!

I agree on the Rite of Spring, but I love Oedipus Rex. Other than that, I'm not very familiar with Stravinsky.

Guest submarines

Interesting that Beethoven doesn't have a strong presence. I love Beethoven, and yet didn't include him either. 

If you didn't include him, is it because you don't care much for Beethoven, or because Beethoven and a deserted island is too intense of a combination?

(The latter for me).

Beethoven certainly. It would almost be like having 3 composers.

Bach would make a nice second, but I love Bartok and Stravinsky (including The Rite of Spring--I have several recordings of it). I think Bartok would win though b/c "Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta" is awesome. And if I had a piano, I could start with Mikrokosmos, working my way up to Third Piano Concerto.

Beethoven and Bartok have awesome string quartets, too, and I love that texture.