Menu

And he brought home a puppy...

MedicMom

A six month old spanador/beagle mix. Already housebroken, apparently someone offered it free to my husband because their landlord said they couldn't keep it. The dog has been raised among kids and seems to be a very sweet, calm family dog. My kids are overjoyed.

Here is the problem.

I hate dogs. I hate fur, I hate the smell, I hate slobber. I hate messes.

This dog is here to stay...can you help me like it? Or at least tell me how to keep my house from smelling like a dog lives here?

ETA: We have the time, money, and a very nice location for the puppy, plus a DH and two kids who are overjoyed with this addition to the family. And honestly this is a very sweet dog; if I was going to like a dog, it would be little Zeus. I have never had a pet or been around indoor dogs, so I need tips to acclimate myself and my house with no dog experience and not really liking them much.

Sorry, I feel the same way about dogs and there is NO WAY my DH would try that because he knows it would NEVER STAY IN THIS HOUSE! That wasn't a very nice thing for him to do and I'd be pissed!

ETA: Didn't you post something a few months ago about really stressful work schedules?!? Yet another reason the dog needs a new home.

We have a neighbor boy who will be coming over to play with the dog in the afternoons on the days we aren't home, plus DH will be home and out of work for about six months. Plus I am only working two days a week right now, so this dog will have plenty of People time.

He isn't going anywhere. I have to figure out how to live with him.

We have a neighbor boy who will be coming over to play with the dog in the afternoons on the days we aren't home, plus DH will be home and out of work for about six months. Plus I am only working two days a week right now, so this dog will have plenty of People time.

He isn't going anywhere. I have to figure out how to live with him.

If you really hate dogs, why is he not going anywhere?? I don't get that.

Because my husband wants him. We have the time and the money for him and a very large, fenced in yard. I just grew up in a family that did not have pets of any form and I don't get wanting one; DH grew up always having at least one dog.

I have known for a long time he really wanted a dog, specifically a beagle, and this is a rather nice one. I just have to learn to like it. It is sort of three against one here and I have absolutely no good reasons to argue against a dog.

Get a dust mop. It grabs the hair better than a broom. In a lot of homes there is a firm, no dogs on the carpet, rule. I'd consider putting that in your home if I were you. I am very, very, very firm on no dogs on the furniture. It's easier to clean the hair off the floor than off the furniture. Take the dog to a groomer regularly if it has longer hair. Keeping it shaved cuts down on the hair in the house considerably. If it's short haired. Get a slicker type brush and brush it off regularly to catch shedding. That breed mix shouldn't be big on slobber.

Get a good shampoo. Don't skimp and don't use human shampoo and bathe it regularly. It won't smell then. Also, a really good dog food can cut down on the smell as well as on the amount of poop in your backyard. It also lowers the chances of an allergic reaction and yeast infections.

Sounds like you will need to find a way to bond with the dog.

Perhaps taking a training class together (training classes train the OWNER how to work with the dog).  I really suggest this since you have a puppy.

Not all dogs need to be bathed (our German shepherds do not) but most need to be groomed/brushed to keep up with the shedding--this can be a bonding time as well.

My dogs have learned that the kitchen is off limits. I cannot stand a dog in the kitchen.  I also do not allow my dogs in the bedrooms or on any furniture-- period-- no exceptions (our dogs are over 100 pounds each!).

My DH is not the biggest animal lover--still, we have had 6 dogs in the 29 years we have been married.  He has finally bonded with our current male (white GS).  DH actively plays with the dog several times each day (dog lives to play frisbee)-- and he (DH) has been rewarded by being the dog's person--and he actually likes that!

I can't really help you because I'm a hopeless animal lover.  I'm more of a cat person and I've never owned a dog, but I already adore my next door neighbor's new wiener dog puppy. Maybe you'll be surprised and grow to love the dog.  My dh didn't think he liked cats much when we first got married, but now we have 6 and he spoils them more than anybody.  Hopefully he's a real charmer and you'll decide that you do like dogs!

I'll help :-)

Dogs are a lot like kids. They're messy, smelly, and ooze a bit. Still, we love them :-)

You'll probably need to vacuum twice as often, and use a carpet freshened or baking soda.

I don't even try to sweep my hard floors, I vacuum them.

Daily, outdoor brushing is a good kid chore and will help with the hair.

Honestly, my dog is a lot less work than my kids. He's happy if he has food, water, attention, and a couple outdoor excursions (fenced yard) a day. Keeping the smell and hair under control is the worst of it. Nobody gets in my yard, much less to the door, without the dog warning me. He will always be happy to see you and never ask for expensive toys :-)

If you like to take walks, the dog is a good companion. You can be alone, but not alone KWIM? I had a friend who felt guilty taking walks alone. After she got a dog, she felt like she wasn't just walking, but doing a chore no one else wanted to do.

As a PP said, take a training class together. When you get home, show your kids what you did at class, so you can be on the same page about how the dog will be handled. Repeat the lesson everyday until the next lesson. 

Our dog has a crate. He rarely uses it now. When we first brought him home, he liked to go in it and that was a message to us and the kids that doggie needed a break and was taking a time out. We had a hard time teaching youngest to stay out of the crate. 

I used to hate dogs too.  I found them extremely annoying and kinda gross. Then that special dog that was like none I had ever seen came in my life and changed everything.  He became my baby. His face just captured my heart.   I hope that happens for you with this dog.  They can be very comforting when you are down.  It just takes that special dog to come in at just the right time.

I would be so mad!!! That's not a unilateral decision. We love dogs, and I would be furious!

Good quality food and good shampoo really cut down on dog smell. Cheap food = smelly dog. My favorite dog shampoo is Hylyt. It's on amazon now, but I used to order huge jugs from my vet. Our old lab beagle mix liked to roll in Dead Thing. Sigh. It has a mild scent and lasts a long time, and it's soap-free and doesn't dry out skin.

Get a gallon jug of Nature's Miracle and the Febreze for pet odors.

And a good vacuum! I would be broke and insane if I had to use bags, so we always have Dysons.

Target has a great lint roller. Evercare. It's on amazon too. Extra sticky for pet hair. I keep those in my car, mudroom, and bedroom.

LL Bean Waterhog mats inside and outside the door the dog will use, with a container to stash an old beach towel and baby wipes.

A good crate (again, amazon, lol) for the dog when it will be unattended in the house or needs space. We get moving blankets from Uline for the dog crates. They're machine washable (and soft after they've been washed). Our kennel told us that tip.

As far as odor --

Bathe regularly.  Once a week isn't too much, although most dogs won't need a bath that often to prevent odor.  Use a good quality shampoo, lukewarm water and rinse well.  Many dogs benefit from a good conditioner.

Feed a good quality food.

Make sure that the dog's ears are clean.  Some will need human help (there are commercial ear cleaners for dogs) and some will stay perfectly clean on their own.

Brush his teeth, or at a minimum provide some good chew toys.

Brush his coat regularly.  Be careful if you use a slicker brush, it's quite easy to "brush burn" the skin if you brush too much or too hard.  I recommend a Zoom Groom.  Even dogs who don't like to be brushed usually tolerate a Zoom Groom very well.  It massages the skin as well as removes loose hair.  It can also be used as a bath brush to work in shampoo.  When brushing the coat, though, you want to use it outside.  Hair will go everywhere.

If you get a dog bed(s), make sure you get one with an easily removable/replaceable cover and wash it frequently.  Weekly is best.  IME dog beds are a frequently overlooked source of odor.  For medium/large dogs I prefer to use a crib mattress as a bed (if you have room).  Sheets are inexpensive, so you can keep extras on hand, and they're easy to wash and change.  An inexpensive waterproof cover will keep the mattress from absorbing any odor.  Smaller dogs here get inexpensive bed pillows for beds.  Pillowcases are easy to wash, and the entire pillow can be washed when needed.

I would get a commitment from your husband that since this was his choice-- taking on such a big, long term responsibility without even calling you! -- he will take on a big portion of the day to day annoyance work like teeth, baths, brushing.

We were never allowed to have dogs as kids because my dad didn't like them. I resented him for a long time and guess what, when I left the house I got dogs. I really could have used some experience in dog care before then. So if the others in the household are willing to pitch in and care for the dog and help your house stay clean, then good for you. 

Dogs are smart, they can tell when someone doesn't like them, so I agree about finding a bonding activity. Dogs can be such a comfort and provide a lot of companionship. 

IMO dogs can be easier than cats because they generally will eat one food (yes, buy good quality, it will cut down on shedding), do their business outside, and will learn to obey. Cat try to train their people. 

I think if you try too hard to force yourself to love him, you'll end up feeling resentful (I know I would, anyway). Maybe you can aim for treating him like a difficult in-law; cordial, but no pressure to be especially demonstrative. Over time, you might warm up. Even if you don't, it sounds like he'll get loads of affection from everybody else.

And your husband owes you. Big. :)

If it makes you feel any better, Dh has done this to me. Not once. Not twice. I actually need to pause a moment to think this through..... 5 times. Dh has brought home 5 dogs over the course of our marriage. I consider our marriage to be good and healthy, but I really have no explanation for this piece of it. I actually like dogs, I just don't like being a dog owner. I eventually fall in love with them. This is my problem. He knows that eventually I'll like them.

Anyhow, the first one was a gift. for me. on valentine's day. He really thought I'd be happy about it. We had to give that dog away because the timing was really poor. Dogs 2-4 were just brought home. One ended up having a really sad and early death. The next one was the best dog ever and died an old man. The next one after that we still have, and I pretty much loved him from the start (chihuahua. I really have a thing for little dogs). The last one was a head to head battle. I did not want the dog, but he basically laid out that it was so important to him that our kids grow up with a big dog, he was overruling me. He balanced that by doing ALL of the puppy stuff, including taking the dog to work with him everyday until he was no longer doing puppy things. I'm now happy we own this dog (a black lab), as he is an extraordinarily GOOD dog, however, I still get annoyed with the dog hair and logistical issues surrounding vacations.

So, all that to say, you're not alone! I probably would have never gotten a single dog if it was up to me, but I really do believe that the dogs we've owned have enriched our children's lives, and for that I'm grateful.

I think the dog will win you over. My DH was not an animal lover. He grew up in a row home with an obsessively clean mother that refused to have any pets. When I first met him, I sent him pics of my dogs before sending pics of my kids! (Second marriage for both of us). I made it very clear from day 1 that I will never not have dogs. I can live without cats (we have one though) but not without dogs. DOGS, as in plural. He made the decision to continue to date me, pets and all.

Flash forward 10 yrs and he has seen how our one dog protects our daughter. He is a big 100 lb pit mix and she walks and he follows her. He fought off two dogs that came charging at her. I'd like to add that my daughter (his from his first marriage) had never had dogs and didn't particularly like them either. She isn't lovey dovey with the dogs, but she likes them now. My DH has grown to love them. He won't let them on the furniture (I don't either) but I do let them in the bed after he leaves for work.

Guest submarines

#1. If I can like rats, you can like a dog. :D

#2. If my DH, the guy who was adamantly opposed to having rats, now coos to them every night, you can like a dog. :D

Hang in there. It'll grow on you. :grouphug:

There is no reason that your house has to smell like a dog.  I have a dog, and you can not tell it from the smell of my house.  I have a very sensitive nose, so even though it is my house, I could tell if my house smelled like a dog.  My dog does not smell like a dog. I think the dog smell is mostly from outside dogs coming in, and ours is a 100% inside dog.  Also, we have mostly hardwoods, not carpet.  I don't really know why some house smell doggy and others do not, but I grew up with Newfoundlands, and even they did not make our house smell.

Second of all, it is a given that the dog will attach himself to the person in the house who likes him the least.  Never fails.  So be prepared to be adored.  

I just placed an order for Flint River Ranch kibbles tonight.  I love that the dog food is shipped to me and it is probably one of the few dog food producers to not have a recall.  The best part about FRR dog food is that dogs process so much of the food that there is very little poop.  When I walk our dogs, I am always shocked at the huge piles of poop (plus shocked that they don't scoop the poop and take it home).  Our dogs have never had a skin problem and they have been on FRR for over 3 years.

I was out numbered 3-to-1 when we got our dogs and I resented it.  I called our dogs the "stupid dogs" for the longest time because they put a crimp in our lifestyles.  We were a get up and go kind of family that loved spur of the moment travels, etc. and suddenly, we had to plan only being out of the house for a few hours at a time until they were old enough.

It wasn't until I saw the huge blessings that the dogs offered our children that I started to make peace with having the dogs.  Our then 10-year-old son had the chance to nurture the puppies (something the youngest rarely gets to do) and our oldest took on the training (place, sit, stay, come, etc.).

It will help if you are the alpha to the new dog 1) only you feed it in the beginning, 2) you walk out a door before the dog, 3) you do the initial dog training, etc.  It won't be long before the new dog follows you around and looks at you with those sweet puppy eyes that you will probably fall in love with it.  

The last thing you have to do is give yourself permission to set aside your picture of your perfect family and/or dreams for that perfect family.  You have a new normal that includes a 4-legged family member that just wants to be loved and you need to give yourself permission to just love the dog.  Go on walks when the weather is good, give the dog a good body rub, brush the dog and look deep into his eyes, etc.

Best of luck!

For dog food ratings & to sign up for recall alerts:  http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

I advise getting a 4 or 5 star food, grain free.  You may have to try several, to find one the dog likes.  My dog loves Orijen Adult and Orijen Six Fish.  For a puppy, either get all stages dog food or puppy food. 

I buy Aidan's food at http://www.chewy.com/ because it saves me gas and time, as I have to drive 45 minutes to get to the store that sells it.  The price, including shipping, is the same at Chewy as it is locally.

Pet food storage container (15 lbs):  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A6UF4U/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For bully sticks and the like (made in the USA), see https://www.bestbullysticks.com/ . 

Do not buy toys, treats, or food made in China.  Dogs can see the color blue, so I now buy blue toys for Aidan.  Planet Dog has good toys.

Zuke's treats are good for training (Mini Naturals).  I buy them on Amazon because they are cheaper there than at the stores here.  I slice them into smaller pieces for training.

Find a good obedience class to take the dog to, if you are interested in bonding with him.  Otherwise, send your DH.  Positive training methods should be used.  I teach a dog obedience class, and the key factor between failure and success is solely whether the owners train their dogs between sessions.  I advise 3 training sessions per day, of 10 minutes or less, and that the session end when the dog loses interest. Dogs differ in the length of their attention spans.

Having a treat bag for training purposes is important:  http://www.amazon.com/Guardian-Gear-Terylene-Training-Treat/dp/B001TH6Q1K/ref=sr_1_6?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1388285922&sr=1-6&keywords=dog+treat+bag

Control Unleashed:  The Puppy Program is a great book.  http://www.amazon.com/Control-Unleashed-The-Puppy-Program/dp/B0077BTNFS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388284868&sr=8-2&keywords=control+unleashed

For advice and lots of stickies with helpful advice, go to:  http://www.dogforums.com/

Karen Pryor's book on clicker training is good:  http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Started-Clicker-Training-Dogs-ebook/dp/B007NMQF66/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1388284910&sr=8-4&keywords=karen+pryor

On Youtube, Kikopup has tons of great dog training videos:  http://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup/videos

You are doing a wonderful thing. We rescued our hound for the kids, and then got a puppy for dd. I adore both of them.....best best wishes.

And you have been given good advice here. Hornblower helped me with Guidry and selecting a food for him. We started with Orijen but after almost a year, switched to Pinnacle as Orijen was just too rich for his hound digestive system.

Don't use people shampoo. Have the kids brush him everyday.

Honestly, our two are family members now...........enjoy!

Not quite sure that I am up to giving the dog body rubs, lol. But there are three overjoyed people in my home tonight and for them I can suck it up and learn to deal with the dog. I am a clean freak plus not an animal person so I have quite a learning curve here.

The suggestions are great! Thank you!

Not quite sure that I am up to giving the dog body rubs, lol. But there are three overjoyed people in my home tonight and for them I can suck it up and learn to deal with the dog. I am a clean freak plus not an animal person so I have quite a learning curve here.

The suggestions are great! Thank you!

That's me........clean freak and not an animal person.

My mom and my sister cannot believe that I have TWO dogs!

My house is still spotless, there is no dog smell, kids and canines are happy, and I do love our pooches.

Enjoy!

I'm also somewhat of a clean freak.  We have two dogs and two cats.  I don't think my house smells.  Or at least not more than any house smells (IMO all houses have their own unique smell, some of them are pleasant or neutral and some aren't). Over the years several realtors have assured me our house smells fine.  And I think they'd know?

This is getting a little off topic, but I wanted to add in case anyone is interested -- A couple of people have recommended not using human shampoo products on dogs.  The latest research I've read indicates there's no reason not to.  Apparently there's a range of pH levels among dogs, and the range correlates very nicely with the pH of most human shampoos.  The latest study I read found that there's no significant difference in the pH level of most dog products and most human products.  My Shih Tzu's breeder, who is heavily into showing, recommends Dove and Pantene products.  They're all she uses on her show dogs.

I'm also somewhat of a clean freak. We have two dogs and two cats. I don't think my house smells. Or at least not more than any house smells (IMO all houses have their own unique smell, some of them are pleasant or neutral and some aren't). Over the years several realtors have assured me our house smells fine. And I think they'd know?

This is getting a little off topic, but I wanted to add in case anyone is interested -- A couple of people have recommended not using human shampoo products on dogs. The latest research I've read indicates there's no reason not to. Apparently there's a range of pH levels among dogs, and the range correlates very nicely with the pH of most "people" shampoos. The latest study I read found that there's no significant difference in the pH level of most dog products and most people products. My Shih Tzu's breeder, who is heavily into showing, recommends Dove and Pantene products. They're all she uses on her show dogs.

That's interesting. We have used people shampoo on both dogs.........but the best results are with a pet shampoo we bought at the self-wash.......I think it is called "earth's best" or something like that. Our best results have been with that product.

That being said, I think a huge thing is to make sure the dog is completely dry........do 't skimp on drying time. The disastrous washes with our hounds have been when the kids don't dry him thoroughly.

A friend has always used Paul Mitchell on her yorkie and that dog is perfectly pleasant smelling and a delight to be near.

That being said, I think a huge thing is to make sure the dog is completely dry........do 't skimp on drying time. The disastrous washes with our hounds have been when the kids don't dry him thoroughly.

:iagree:

If you don't dry a dog thoroughly, you're going to have a lingering "wet dog" smell.  And that's just not good.  Dogs with very thick coats can take hours or even days to dry, and staying wet or damp that long can set them up for skin issues.

I've done all my dogs' grooming for years, so I invested in a forced air dryer (like a groomer would use).  My Shih Tzu has fairly long hair now for the winter, but I can get him dry as a bone in about 15 minutes.

ETA:  I bet what you used was an Earthbath product?  I've used some of their stuff before and really liked it.  Currently I'm using Crown Royale products, except I've been using Organix moroccan argan oil as a conditioner for my Shih Tzu.  I read about that on a professional dog grooming board I lurk on.  From what I gather, pro groomers commonly use people products on their own dogs.  It was on that board that I saw the link to the most recent research done on dog pH versus the pH of human hair products.

Also, this puppy is not used to your family yet.  He has also not gone through the so-called teenage phase yet, which begins at 9 months.  When it adjusts to living with your family, it may change to being a rambunctious puppy, and be sweet and calm when it is sleepy.  Just be aware there is an adjustment period for the puppy.

Just remember the mantra ... a tired dog is a good dog. If he nips, and many puppies do, go to the dog forums and look up the sticky on how to get your puppy to stop doing that.

Make sure your kids don't leave things lying around (especially on the floor) that the dog can ingest.  The end result could be a very expensive vet bill for surgery to retrieve the item.  Dogs have eaten all sorts of things -- from socks, to Legos, to scissors.

Look up things that are poisonous to dogs and make sure these things are not available to your dog. This includes raisins and chocolate.  http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poisons/

Be very glad that he is already housebroken.  This doesn't mean accidents won't happen.  If you can install a dog door to your fenced yard, that will be beneficial because he won't have to ask to go out all the time.  Hopefully his prior owners told your DH how to tell when the dog wants out.

Also, since you don't like dogs, be aware of two things.  One, you may not like dogs, but grow to love this particular dog.  Two, that puppy will bond to You if you are the one who takes care of it.  I have never met a kid who isn't overjoyed to have a new dog.  I have never met a kid who takes care of the new dog after the newness wears off.  I have met many mothers who are surprised that they have a new dog.  Kids require a lot of supervision to make sure they know how to take care of a dog properly, and they need their moms to follow up to make sure they are doing it.  This circumvents the Mom being surprised that the dog is really hers.

I don't count on my kids to take care of our dog unless I specifically ask them to.  That doesn't bother me because I love dogs and our dogs are really My dogs.  I have to be their primary caretaker because I enjoy it so much.

It also helps to teach your kids how to treat a dog ... it doesn't come naturally.  Many dogs, for instance, don't like to be patted on top of their heads, or hugged.  They can get used to it, though.  Another big thing is not to reprimand the dog for growling.   A growl is a warning.  If you teach a dog not to do it, it could bite without warning.  Never assume a dog won't bite.  Teach your kids not to stick their faces into the dog's face because if they do that and he is startled, he could bite (or nip).  Best to learn something about dog body language, too.  Look it up online. 

A crate is a great dog management tool.  The dog should not wear a collar while in the crate because dogs have choked to death when their collar gets hung up in there.  The crate should have padding on the bottom unless the dog is one who tears that up.  Put dog treats and something to do (filled Kong, bully stick) in the crate with the dog.  If the dog is going to sleep in the crate, you can put a blanket over a wire crate to indicate that to the dog.  The crate is not punishment ... my collie loved his crate and would go in there whenever he wanted to be left alone. 

Training is very important.  It is a lifelong process.  It takes patience and time, and it is well worth it.  Dogs learn at different rates, and there is nothing you can do about that.  Don't skimp on the treats while training, and be sure they are high value treats used only for training.  A high value treat, for many dogs, is something like a hot dog cut up into tiny pieces, or little pieces of meat or chicken.  If you are supremely lucky, your dog will work for his own food.  I know a few dogs who will eat anything that doesn't eat them first, and who will work for their own food.

Also, if the dog is not microchipped, have it done at the vet, and then go home and register that microchip online.  If the dog is microchipped, you will have to have the registration changed to you.

I love pets. My dh loves dogs hates cats. Several years ago he called our girls outside to show him three week old kittens in a combine. We (of course) kept the kittens. It took several years but dh pets three cats and even likes them. He kept them because *I* had wanted cats since we got married.

I don't think it was fair of your dh, I think it IS awesome of you to be good about it. I hope you can bond with the dog, and I hope your dh realizes what an awesome wife you are :-)

Sounds like you will need to find a way to bond with the dog.

Perhaps taking a training class together (training classes train the OWNER how to work with the dog).  I really suggest this since you have a puppy.

This.

A Basic Manners class will really show YOU how to work with the dog. And most dogs LOVE going to school, lol.

Around here it would run about $70 for a 6 weeks of 1 hour a week classes.  Best 6 hours you will ever spend on the dog! If you can get a sitter, dh could go, too...

Look for someone who uses clicker training and does not use "pack" terminology, ever.

hth,

Georgia

I just want to say that I think it's a wonderful and generous thing that you're doing, letting this dog into your family despite your feelings.

:iagree: I think you have the perfect attitude about this. We are pet lovers here, but much more than that, this house is not a Mom controlled dictatorship. Why should there be 3:1 suffering in exchange for 1:3 suffering? (I am not interested in debating this with anyone. It is just my POV for my home and family, LOL.) I agree with those who say that the dog will probably grow on you, especially since you are already mentioning his good side. :D I can't even begin to tell you the wonderful benefits having pets conferred on me as a child (and adult).

I'm a dog lover, but I hate the mess too:

1) Training the dog is the kindest thing you can do for yourself, your family and the dog. There are so many great You Tube videos, but I like these two trainers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQYlAkA8gDg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRM0LeSBjxA

But, first, take a Manners Class so you get the gist. Then Google on You Tube how to teach "watch me," "sit," "down," and most importantly: "leave it." (Which is easy to teach, btw.

2) If you can afford to buy an awesome vacuum (which I can't) I've heard great things about the Pet Dyson. Also a friend was given the Roomba -- a robot vacuum cleaner that swerves around an picks up dirt. So you don't have to. I'd love one, but they're $299. Worth it, if you can afford it.

3) Buy a Chuck It Ball Launcher at Petco or Amazon. Get a bunch of tennis balls and tell the kids to take the dog to the backyard and chuck the ball around until the dog is tired. It's the best thing we ever bought for our puppy.

4) Food puzzles are also a great way to keep dogs from being too bored. Our dog loves this one, but there are so many:  http://www.chewy.com/dog/kyjen-paw-hide-puzzle-dog-toy-paw/dp/39477?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&gclid=CKafmd2H1rsCFWJo7AodtxgAgg.

5) Invest in a Kong. Fill it with his food and stop it up with peanut butter and freeze it all. Then when he's bored or before you leave for work, hand it to him. It gives him something to do.

6) Talk to your vet about flea and tick meds.

7) Wash pup once a month; more if needed.

8) Our dog loves his crate that is filled w/ cozy blankies and pillows from Good Will. We never punish him by putting him in it. It's strictly his "bedroom" and he often puts himself in it.

9) Edited to add: we bought a huge thing of "poop bags" rather than hoping we had enough bags from Walmart that week. It's reassuring to know that when we go on walks we have our bags w/ us.

I know you're going to fall in love. I think it's awesome of you to do this for your family. We all make sacrifices in one way or another -- and this is yours. And I bet you will fall in love w/ the dog and say, "I don't like dogs in general, but I love our dog."

Alley

Kids need dogs. :)

I agree with folks who said to keep him clean. Get a HEPA vacuum if you don't already have one. Has a crate been mentioned? A crate is your friend, and dogs tend to love them, especially when acclimating.

Keep on top of his teeth. Get him used to brushing. This will help keep him healthy, and cut down on dog breath.

For sure, take puppy classes together.  Training a dog well will make your life much easier in the long run.