Menu

Are you expecting a white Christmas or holiday season?

Dicentra

White Christmas (no, not the song :))?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Are you expecting a white Christmas?

• Yes - it's guaranteed.
    • Possibly - we'll wait and see.
    • Doubtful - it's unlikely.
    • No - virtually impossible.
    • Other - I'm not sure what this would be but it must always be included. ;)

This is the first time I've ever tried posting a poll.  Hope it works!

Was just thinking about white Christmases - and Bing Crosby because that's who I hear when I think of the song. :D  I've never not experienced a white Christmas day.  As I said in my other post, our area is (historically) guaranteed a white Christmas day.  I grew up here, went to university in Winnipeg (98% guaranteed), and then moved back here after I finished my degrees.  I've traveled but not during the holiday season.

So what does everyone's holiday season look like in terms of the white stuff?

We are in West Michigan and generally have a White Christmas. This year we have already had a few small storms dump 4-6 inches at a time but last week we had a day of 50 and it all melted. Right now we have about 1-2 inches on the ground---cant see the grass through the snow but not much deeper.

Looking at the long range forecast it will most likely be white.

Please! Please! Please!  Send Snow!  Lots of Snow!

It's 32F today here and our perfect-for-skiing-snow has turned to melted nasty ice.  I hate ice.  I hate to fall almost as much as I love to ski.

Someone said yesterday that we must be in the Narnia of the North - always winter and never ski season!

Here in upstate NY we should. We used to. What with the New Weather, a white Christmas is the exception when it used to be the rule. My kids don't expect snow at Christmas because it isn't their reality.

Last year we had two days of real snow and that was over Halloween. We've had some snow this year, but now it is all gone and everything is just wet. I can't even take my kids to the winter festival up at my mom's because the lakes don't freeze. It is hard to make a castle of ice when the lake isn't frozen.

Since it almost never gets cold here, and since winter is the dry season, snow is incredibly rare. It last snowed in December 1997 for the first time since 188something. I would be delighted to see some snow because 80-degree Christmases aren't my thing.

How about a white St. Nicholas Day, does that count for anything? We've never had a white Christmas in our 20 years in Oregon. I'm excited to have snow during at least part of December, and maybe by the time it goes away I'll have had my fill (hard to imagine). We got the snow overnight on Thursday through Friday afternoon, about 9 inches (most here in 20 years), and temps have stayed below freezing since. I don't think we get above freezing until midweek.

Weather here in the Midwest is changing so rapidly that no forecast is possible fro such an extended period of time (2 weeks).

On Wednesday, we had 68F (20C), Saturday morning we had 5F( -15C).

Yeah, "Welcome to Missouri! If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes!"

Currently we have six inches of snow on the ground, and it snowed again this morning. It'll probably be gone by next week.

Two or three years ago we had such a heavy snowfall on Christmas Eve that our family plans were canceled. A week later, on New Year's Eve, we were hiding under a restaurant table while a tornado tore through a half mile away from where we were sitting.

As of right now the ground is white and the low last night was -10.  I don't mind if the snow stays on the ground with the roads being clear; right now they're icy and slick.  With out luck, it will warm up, and we will be having a brown, muddy Christmas.  But who knows - anything is possible.

I said it's doubtful. We live far enough SE in Texas that we rarely ever get snow, and maybe only a little ice every couple of years. It's probably been 4-5 years since it's snowed at our house, although there's plenty of it elsewhere in Texas right now. LOL

I live in the PHX area, so there's no chance of snow.  It's "snowed" here a few times in my 40 years, but that means a few flakes have fallen to the ground and instantly melted.  Once there was enough to clump a bit on top of the roof of the car and then it melted an hour or so later.

We go "up" to the snow in Northern AZ (a 2 hour drive NE of PHX) and cut down our Christmas Tree every year.  There is usually a about 6 inches of snow on the ground so we take snow gear and sleds.  Last year there was no snow when we cut the tree. We're still waiting for it to snow up there mid week, but who knows if it will really happen.  We'll be up there by Sunday at the latest to cut the tree.

We're all but guaranteed to have a white Christmas here. I'm in VT, near the mountains. The first snowfall this year was in Oct. We've gotten a few inches here and there since, but nothing huge yet. 2" today and I will be surprised if it melts before spring. :-) As long as I don't have to drive in a blizzard, I like the snow. Until Feb, then I'm ready for spring!

Definitely guaranteed. 

We're getting dumped on at the moment, blowing and gusting. 

The snow has been on the ground to stay since shortly past Halloween (off and on before that). And likely will be here til at LEAST May. It was late May/early June and we were still having snowfalls (most melted but it was still coming).