Menu

This is a new Way to Ask for Money

Jean in Newcastle

I have a friend getting married and she came up with this cute poem to ask for donations for their honeymoon instead of presents. I'm not sure what I think. I'm not sure if I'm just behind on the times or if it's tacky. And that's not me being sarcastic or anything. I really don't know what I think about it.

I have a friend getting married and she came up with this cute poem to ask for donations for their honeymoon instead of presents....

There just shouldn't be a thought in the first place of "instead of presents."  It just conveys the attitude that one is expecting a gift, which is not something anyone should ever expect. Let gifts be .... gifts.  Gifts should never, ever be mentioned with a wedding invitation. 

I see nothing wrong with it. To say gifts aren't expected is silly. It would've equally tacky to go to a wedding and not give a gift. This way ppl know what gift would be most appreciated

Even if you're ok with mentioning gifts, saying 'cash only' is pretty tactless.  Especially to bargain-hunting shoppers or those who want to handmake a gift.  They know their contributions would not be 'appreciated'.

I think it's pretty tacky.  I know plenty of people who would want to give a gift, but due to their budget feel they need to shop carefully to find the right thing that's affordable.  They would be embarrassed to send just a small amount of cash.  That's just one example.

I have a friend getting married and she came up with this cute poem to ask for donations for their honeymoon instead of presents. I'm not sure what I think. I'm not sure if I'm just behind on the times or if it's tacky. And that's not me being sarcastic or anything. I really don't know what I think about it.

It's tacky. That's it's cute does not make it less tacky.

I see nothing wrong with it. To say gifts aren't expected is silly. It would've equally tacky to go to a wedding and not give a gift. This way ppl know what gift would be most appreciated

It is tacky to suggest what kind of gift the giver should give the recipient.

I don't see anything wrong with it saying 'enveloped gifts'. I feel it's their way of saying they don't need or want a lot of stuff. Maybe they need cash for their honeymoon?

Invitations here normally have enclosed the names of stores where they signed up for gift registry.  Where it's expected to get them someting off their list.

Pretty much everyone around here gives money anyway, but I have never known anyone who would have even thought about demanding it. That is beyond tacky!!!

Like others, I'd be tempted to stick something else in en envelope and give it to them. Perhaps a lovely and heartfelt note about how you're "enveloping" them with your love and good wishes for a long and happy marriage. ;)

I was recently invited to a wedding where the bride and groom were both from two different cultures.  there was a mention asking attendees to follow their cultural preferences and not bring store bought gifts.  I don't remember exactly how it was worded, but it was basically asking for money.  makes things much easier to transport. the bride grew up in the US, but her parents are immigrants, as is the groom.

I don't see anything wrong with it saying 'enveloped gifts'. I feel it's their way of saying they don't need or want a lot of stuff. Maybe they need cash for their honeymoon?

Invitations here normally have enclosed the names of stores where they signed up for gift registry.  Where it's expected to get them someting off their list.

It is also not appropriate to enclose of list of stores where registered in an invitation. The fact that people do it does not make it less tacky or OK. 

It is inappropriate to tell people in any way you expect a present. Customarily, people who attend do bring/send a gift. However, not everyone to whom you send an invitation will attend. People who do not attend are certainly not obligated to send anything. 

Presumably the bride has told her mother and close family members on both sides where the registry is. The nontacky way of getting the word out where the couple is register is by the guest asking. Presumably the guest knows someone (bride, groom, family member, close friend) well enough to ask someone, otherwise why is this person on the guest list. 

I was registered at one store. I did not tell people in the invitation.  Word got around to people who wanted to give us a gift without spending a lot of time thinking about it (I think that is one  purpose of registering--saving the hassle for some people).  Some people did just sent checks. IME some people want to give a thing, and some people want to give cash.

Just because you are having a wedding does not mean you should treat the invitation as an open grab for cash or specific presents. It is the choice of the invitee to decide on what, if any, gift. 

It is also not appropriate to enclose of list of stores where registered in an invitation. The fact that people do it does not make it less tacky or OK. 

It is inappropriate to tell people in any way you expect a present. Customarily, people who attend do bring/send a gift. However, not everyone to whom you send an invitation will attend. People who do not attend are certainly not obligated to send anything. 

Presumably the bride has told her mother and close family members on both sides where the registry is. The nontacky way of getting the word out where the couple is register is by the guest asking. Presumably the guest knows someone (bride, groom, family member, close friend) well enough to ask someone, otherwise why is this person on the guest list. 

I was registered at one store. I did not tell people in the invitation.  Word got around to people who wanted to give us a gift without spending a lot of time thinking about it (I think that is one  purpose of registering--saving the hassle for some people).  Some people did just sent checks. IME some people want to give a thing, and some people want to give cash.

Just because you are having a wedding does not mean you should treat the invitation as an open grab for cash or specific presents. It is the choice of the invitee to decide on what, if any, gift. 

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I know it's supposed to be an etiquette thing, but really, so many etiquette things are just plain silly to me. Everyone follows them because everyone always has, where's the logic in that? I would much prefer everyone be upfront on what they want, saving me time and energy when it comes to shopping. I'm supposed to call someone close to the bride to find out where they're registered, really? I might be close to the bride but have no contact info for her family. Although it may be proper, it feels pretty rude that I'm supposed to do all this legwork and research to figure out a gift.

I know as a wedding guest it's rude to show up without a gift or card. Everyone involved knows I'm going to bring something, so just tell me what already. Etiquette be damned! I can't remember what we did at our wedding, but all we got was cash which I'm thankful for. I know we didn't register anywhere. I do know we slaughtered a lot of other wedding etiquette rules. Fortunately, the people that love me are used to the fact I'm either inept or don't care about expected social norms, so no one seemed upset or called us out on anything. Benefit of being considered "creatives," you can get away with pretty much anything!

I know it's supposed to be an etiquette thing, but really, so many etiquette things are just plain silly to me. Everyone follows them because everyone always has, where's the logic in that? I would much prefer everyone be upfront on what they want, saving me time and energy when it comes to shopping. I'm supposed to call someone close to the bride to find out where they're registered, really? I might be close to the bride but have no contact info for her family. Although it may be proper, it feels pretty rude that I'm supposed to do all this legwork and research to figure out a gift.

I know as a wedding guest it's rude to show up without a gift or card. Everyone involved knows I'm going to bring something, so just tell me what already. Etiquette be damned! I can't remember what we did at our wedding, but all we got was cash which I'm thankful for. I know we didn't register anywhere. I do know we slaughtered a lot of other wedding etiquette rules. Fortunately, the people that love me are used to the fact I'm either inept or don't care about expected social norms, so no one seemed upset or called us out on anything. Benefit of being considered "creatives," you can get away with pretty much anything!

Actually, although it isn't rude to show up at the wedding with a gift, it is preferred that wedding gifts be delivered directly to the home of the bride or groom/parents of bride or groom.

And although people scoff at the idea of following any sort of etiquette, the cries of dismay and shock and even anger when people actually don't follow the rules emphasize the importance of knowing what the rules actually are. And they weren't invented by people who wrote the books; they are invented by society.

I was recently invited to a wedding where the bride and groom were both from two different cultures.  there was a mention asking attendees to follow their cultural preferences and not bring store bought gifts.  I don't remember exactly how it was worded, but it was basically asking for money.  makes things much easier to transport. the bride grew up in the US, but her parents are immigrants, as is the groom.

This can definitely be a cultural thing, although in this particular instance the people sending the invitation may just be reflecting a new trend in their area.

I had to get used to the norm in our area when we moved here several years ago.  Money trees.  On birthday and wedding invitations if they prefer money instead of gifts (for those inclined to give a gift) it will say "money tree" or "money tree donations".  I had no idea what we were supposed to do with that and brought a gift the first time we were invited to a birthday party since money seemed kind of inappropriate, especially for a 5 year old.  I was considered the tacky one for not respecting the wishes of the person inviting me and my child (although no one really made a big deal about it, they just tried to explain why it wasn't the norm around here).

Actually, although it isn't rude to show up at the wedding with a gift, it is preferred that wedding gifts be delivered directly to the home of the bride or groom/parents of bride or groom.

And although people scoff at the idea of following any sort of etiquette, the cries of dismay and shock and even anger when people actually don't follow the rules emphasize the importance of knowing what the rules actually are. And they weren't invented by people who wrote the books; they are invented by society.

Society is constantly evolving, so the rules need to evolve. At every wedding I've been to, the gifts are brought to the reception. The gift table is right next to the guest book. Friends and family are more far-flung, with people having more social circles that don't overlap, so hunting down addresses or gift lists is more complicated. Many young couples get married later so they already have a fully stocked home, and may even own a home at marriage, so the registry isn't necessary but cash is more welcome. Society has changed, as must the rules.

The question we need to ask, as logical, thinking people, is why is there an outcry when rules are broken? Are we really offended on a deep level, or are we offended because it has been ingrained into us to be offended? I've seen some people get their knickers in such a twist over these little lapses in etiquette that friendships have ended or family ties are broken. (Not saying this in the case of the OP, at all!) Why isn't it okay to question them? Because it's always been that way? Well, that's a bad reason for doing anything, IMHO.

The bride is Chinese and the groom Filipino.  It isn't a Filipino tradition - at least in any of the dozen Filipino weddings I've been to in this country.  Is it Chinese?  

Yes.  You arrive with a red envelope.

At a Chinese wedding, there is a table at the entrance of the wedding reception where guests give their red envelopes to attendants and sign their names on a large scroll. The attendants will immediately open the envelope, count the money inside, and record it on a register next to the guests’ names.

A record is kept of how much each guest gives to the newlyweds. This is done for several reasons. One reason is bookkeeping. A record insures the newlyweds know how much each guest gave and can verify the amount of money they receive at the end of the wedding from the attendants is the same as what the guests brought. Another reason is that when unmarried guests eventually get married, the bride and groom are typically obliged to give the guest more money than what the newlyweds received at their wedding.

L

I don't know...dh and I went to a wedding and brought a gift and when we asked where we could put the gift the usher/greeter looked at us like we had 3 heads. Only for a second though - he composed himself very quickly and thanked us and brought it somewhere. We didn't see anyone else come in with a gift or even a card.

We did not know the family very well, though, so we likely just weren't familiar with their expectations.