Menu

Why Homeschool? Top reasons

Being new to the homeschooling community, I'd like to hear your top reasons for choosing to homeschool your children. We're quite excited about it. Nevertheless, once and a while I catch myself thinking, "Am I doing the right thing?" So, I'd love to hear why YOU love to homeschool.

Thanks!:001_smile:

1. Because the local schools could not meet my children's educational needs (they even told me that:blink:.)

2. So my family would have more flexibility for vacations and travelling with daddy when he went places.

3. Because we couldn't afford the Montessori School, or the challenging private school... and I just couldn't imagine trying to get everyone to and from...

4. And my children would learn the values and belief system we wished to pass down in an every day fashion -- so that it would become a part of who they are, not just things they know about.

We started homeschooling because we could no longer afford private school tuition.

We are getting ready to start our 5th year of homeschooling and our reasons have changed. I have only one child and here are a few of the reason we continue...

1. flexibility in our schedule

2. to have a better relationship with son

3. to allow him to move through subjects at his pace, ahead in some, behind in others.

4. better academics than local school

5. not having to put up with school politics.

6. we're not morning people (a convenience, not a real reason)

7. Ds gets to spend more time with his dad. He can stay up later.

8. I enjoy seeing my son learn.

9. Character development is woven through everything we do

10. Light saber fights can count as PE ;)

This sounds really silly. We started homeschooling because God forced me to. Seriously. He backed me right me right onto the cliff and pushed. It wasn't fun, and it wasn't pretty. This is what I am supposed to be doing. No, you don't get the long, drawn out story.:tongue_smilie:

This sounds really silly. We started homeschooling because God forced me to. Seriously. He backed me right me right onto the cliff and pushed. It wasn't fun, and it wasn't pretty. This is what I am supposed to be doing. No, you don't get the long, drawn out story.:tongue_smilie:

This could be my friend's post! She had her dd in a private school at the church she had long belonged to. She eventually figured out her church was all lies so she quit going and then pulled her dd out of the school. When we chat about that time, she tells me that when I talked about homeschooling she'd be thinking in her head, "Here she goes again! I wish she would just shut.up!" She was backed into a corner for sure :) but now three years later she's one of homeschooling's biggest advocates!

My reasons:

1. I felt God's leading to teach my children at home so that I could raise them knowing Him all day every day.

2. To allow my kids to develop at their own pace.

3. To be able to challenge my kids when I see they can handle more.

4. To keep the kids away from stupid playground politics.

5. Because it's my responsibility even if I hand them over to the schools; I'd still have to answer for what they are learning. I don't want to give that authority to anyone, especially when the responsibilty still lies with me in the end.

The reasons we started hs'ing are not the same reasons as to why we are still hs'ing.

When we began hs'ing I was really upset at the PS---they told us that my oldest would never, ever read and that we should just accept that. He was in K and while I searched for a solution to his reading problem I discovered hs'ing. It took two yrs to convince DH that I could do this; and in the meantime I had uncovered the reason DS wasn't reading, remediated DS, and taught DS to read. Hmmm, PS then realized DS was highly gifted, which we knew all along, and they had nothing for him in the way of a gifted program. Reasons we began:

PS had nothing in the way of a gifted program for DS

PS wanted to medicate DS so he would sit still in class

PS would not permit any parent involvement in the school---no classroom mom programs, parent-library helpers were not permitted, parents were not permitted to observe their child's classroom.....(hmm, what were they hiding?)

Reasons we keep hs'ing:

Socialization -- yes, my kids get along with each and with their parents. Enjoy talking with other adults and kids, know how to behave out in public, are out-going, and enjoyable to have around. Go figure!

Education Kids are being taught at the level that they need and not just to pass a state test

Flexibility ---- We took a 2 month west camping trip this year, leaving on May 15th while all the PS still had 6 weeks of school left on their calendars. When my Dad was in hospice last Aug/Sept we could be there with him, helping him.... PS would not have permitted this.

Love of Learning --- My kids have this. My friends who have put their kids back in PS biggest regret is that they have seen their own kids lose the love of learning that they had when they were hs'd

Being new to the homeschooling community, I'd like to hear your top reasons for choosing to homeschool your children. We're quite excited about it. Nevertheless, once and a while I catch myself thinking, "Am I doing the right thing?" So, I'd love to hear why YOU love to homeschool.

Thanks!:001_smile:

Well, we started because our ds had major speech delays and we felt ps wouldn't be a good place for him.

We continue because we enjoy it and my dc want to homeschool.

I do sometimes feel inadequate, but overall I think it has been a wonderful experience for us as a family and I think my dc are turning out ok. :)

1. Better academics. I get to pick what programs we use versus the school's experimentation with the latest and "greatest."

2. No teachers. I get to pick my kids' teachers. I used to teach public school and I have met only 6 or so teachers that I would want teaching my children. However, I have met many more that I would never want teaching my children. Some teachers really are awful people who don't care about students.

3. Flexibilty. When Dh came home from a 15 month deployment, we were able to take a full month off to be with him and help him get reintegrated in our lives. We can travel with him to all those interesting places and take off for vacation when we want to instead of when the school calendar says so.

4. No school/PTA politics. I live in a county that is full of very pushy wealthy people who feel that they should always get their way. I try to stay away from them. (And get my own way.:D)

5. I enjoy my kids. I like being around them. If I wasn't teaching my own children, I would be teaching other people's. And afterschooling my own. So I figured that I would eliminate that step.

This could be my friend's post! She had her dd in a private school at the church she had long belonged to. She eventually figured out her church was all lies so she quit going and then pulled her dd out of the school. When we chat about that time, she tells me that when I talked about homeschooling she'd be thinking in her head, "Here she goes again! I wish she would just shut.up!" She was backed into a corner for sure :) but now three years later she's one of homeschooling's biggest advocates!

Yes, that is me to a tee. The reasons we homeschool now have little to do with why we started. Before starting this journey, I had never heard of homeschooling before. I didn't even have a single friend who homeschooled. A nurse actually recommended it to me as a way to deal with some problems we were having. :001_smile:

Thanks everyone! I enjoy reading all your responses! This really helps!

We came to this decision because:

1) Our local PS is not challenging enough academically and is rather frightening socially

2) In our search for a solution, I read the WTM and knew it was just how I would love to educate our son.

Since that decision, only weeks ago, I have continued to find more and more excellent reasons to homeschool. Thank you so much for two-cents worth!

We homeschool for so many reasons I can't list them all and a lot of our reasons have been listed already, but mainly...

No one else can possibly be as invested in my son's success in learning as his parents.

I like to be around him and enjoy learning with him.

He is different in a number of ways and I think he would not have a peaceful, happy life in a school setting.

You can't beat a custom tailored, one-on-one education.

Well we started because after a great K year in WI we moved to VA and our oldest had a terrible first half of the year (very non understanding teacher)

My dh suggested we look into homeschooling again, which we had in the past.

We then realized it would give us just what we wanted. We're military so we move a lot.

Here's our top reasons that we continue

1. Flexibility, we can now school in summer when dh may be on deployment and take a vacation from school when he's home

2. Continuity, our kids are not ALWAYS "the new kids" now. We can also put the books away, move across the country and then pick up right where we left off.

3. Togetherness, we love being with our kids and they truly love being home.

.., while I was still in college, I taught some dc in SS at church who were homeschooled. This was my first encounter with homeschooled children. I watched them closely. They weren't weird!! They weren't socially delayed. In fact, they were more respectful of me and of other students than the PS kids. They were less bitter and hardened. I talked to their moms and saw that Hs could be done by real people. I tell you, it was then that I knew my destiny. I have never been ambitious and really had trouble knowing what direction to take in life. This delayed ambition in my life is an example of when I was a like a dove in the cleft of the rock, waiting. I think God just had waited to surprise me with His direction when the time was right, for homeschooling was not even imagined by anyone I knew even a few years before this when I was in High School.

So, when my then prospective dh and I were talking of marriage I knew that he had to agree with this calling of mine.

I could go on, but that was the beginning of our homeschool journey and the number one reason we homeschool: It is God's plan for us. And I'm really enjoying the life.

Lolly, your reason doesn't sound weird to me! My experience is the same!

DS17 went to K and 1st at a local Christian School. His K year was a HUGE success--the teacher challenged them and made learning FUN! His 1st grade teacher was a great teacher--IF you're middle of the road student. To make a long story short, we came to the realization that we couldn't send him back to that school. It was a multi-grade classroom situation, and he would've had the same teacher the next year. I hadn't heard of homeschooling really either, so didn't even consider that. Suddenly I heard from people, in different ways, that homeschooled or had been homeschooled, and suggested I try homeschooling! ALl without knowing my ds's situation. DS and I clash, so I was NOT wanting to have him home all day. I appreciated him more when we had a little space, and I could spend the time with my two littles. Then we'd get along better after he got home from school.

Okay, I'm not making this very short, but it's honest! :D I started praying and through amazing events, God showed me that I should be homeschooling. It was NOT my choice, but it became VERY clear! So I started. We went one year at a time, and planned to put him back in school. But, as time went by, I realized I enjoyed having him home after all! We were family, and I couldn't imagine sending ANY of my kids away for someone else to teach, when God gave them to ME!

So, here we are 10, almost 11, years later, and absolutely LOVING homeschooling!!! Like others, my reasons for homeschooling have changed over time. But NOW they are:

Having my kids, whom I love more than anyone else ever could, home with me, and having strong FAMILY bonds, as opposed to them having strong PEER bonds! DS17 has never been a hugger, but he'll speak proudly of something his mom or dad said or did. He recently had a friend spend 5 days with us. Every night he said "I love you" to us before bed. DS14 IS a hugger, and he still hugs us in public. dd11 is NOT into the latest fads and fashions of little girls and loves being home with family!

DS14 would have been labeled ADHD at school, and labeled a slow reader, and put in low level groups. He wasn't interested at all in academics until he was 7....but once he started he took off and was miles ahead of many of his peers that he would be in school with. Get an ADHD, class clown kid bored at school, and ther will be problems. He would have gotten in trouble cuz he was wiggly and silly and had a hard time concentrating unless he was moving. So I'm afraid he'd have not only been labeled as dumb, but also been in trouble a lot. He's the sweetest kid, and I was so happy to have him home and happy!

Academic: We don't call them grades, we call them levels. My kids are in differnt "levels" of learning, depending on where they're at and what they're ready to do, etc. So one child who would be 6th grade if in school, would maybe be "level" 5 in English, "level" 8 in math, "level" 6 in History, etc. My kids don't have problems with being at different "levels"! Meet them where they're at, lay strong bases for them to draw from, don't just push them through that grade and either leave them behind or bore them to tears! THAT'S a big reason I homeschool!

Others have mentioned other reasons as well, so, since I've written a book already, I'll just defer to many of their reasons as well as what I've already mentioned!

I'm glad you're here, and hope you'll continue to ask questions and join in here!

So we could travel.

We had an opportunity to live and work in Europe. With dh's schedule we could travel a lot...but only if the boys were not locked into a school system. We visited fourteen countries in that time period.

Once we were a part of the homeschool lifestyle, we never wanted to be anything else. Loved it.

1. Being able to be a Mom, in the whole sense of the word instead of being the Mom that wears so many hats she forgets which one she's wearing. I get to spend real time with my children, creating memories, being there for them- that is priceless in my eyes. I get to KNOW my kids, not just their favorite color, but truly get to know them and the people they are becoming as it happens.

2. Full control of academic pursuits- I don't have to worry about what they ARE being taught against our wishes, or what the other kids are teaching them. I can direct their activities to strengthen their weaknesses and help them excel in their strengths. No one will invest more than I will in my children.

3. Opportunities for more opportunities! We are not restricted other than by money to do whatever we want, if we really want to do something we will figure out how to do it. I am much more aware of my surroundings and we take full advantage of any and all museums, state parks, community activities and the like. My kids have gone on more field trips in 1-2 years than they would have in public school from K-8. And we're not even close to getting started!

4. I fully believe I was called to do this, for this season, God has called me to be at home and teach my children. There are times I feel so downtrodden and alone and when I come out of it, I see where it was actually a strengthening experience. I am a different person than I was when I first stared considering homeschool, much different and more blessed.

1. academic freedom

2. flexible schedule as my husband's job has moved us 4 times up until now(going into grades 6th and 7th)

We love the great relationships we have with our boys....as Sally Field said,

"They like us....they REALLY like us!!!"

I find it interesting that alot of ps kids and parents don't seem to really like being with each other!

1. Being able to be a Mom, in the whole sense of the word instead of being the Mom that wears so many hats she forgets which one she's wearing. I get to spend real time with my children, creating memories, being there for them- that is priceless in my eyes. I get to KNOW my kids, not just their favorite color, but truly get to know them and the people they are becoming as it happens.

2. Full control of academic pursuits- I don't have to worry about what they ARE being taught against our wishes, or what the other kids are teaching them. I can direct their activities to strengthen their weaknesses and help them excel in their strengths. No one will invest more than I will in my children.

3. Opportunities for more opportunities! We are not restricted other than by money to do whatever we want, if we really want to do something we will figure out how to do it. I am much more aware of my surroundings and we take full advantage of any and all museums, state parks, community activities and the like. My kids have gone on more field trips in 1-2 years than they would have in public school from K-8. And we're not even close to getting started!

4. I fully believe I was called to do this, for this season, God has called me to be at home and teach my children. There are times I feel so downtrodden and alone and when I come out of it, I see where it was actually a strengthening experience. I am a different person than I was when I first stared considering homeschool, much different and more blessed.

Thanks, Jessica, for posting my thoughts:D.

I'll just add that I am also homeschooling to slow the progression of one world government:lol: !

I feel the same way Lolly feels. It is a long drawn out story for us as well. I am glad for the cliff, since I love homeschooling and I would have never even tried it without God leading me there. So, I am very thankful.

I feel the same way Lolly feels. It is a long drawn out story for us as well. I am glad for the cliff, since I love homeschooling and I would have never even tried it without God leading me there. So, I am very thankful.
Same here! The idea would've never crossed my mind!

1. My husband and I truly believe that we were called by God to do this task.

2. Since we have homeschooled, I must add that we are now a close knit family. Our children tell us things. When stuff happens during the day, we sit at the dinner table and share. I find that special.

Those are my two major reasons. I could give sub-reasons underneath those two, but why bore you. I feel that all of my reasons are summed up in these two above reasons.

Remember, it is good to recall why you are doing homeschooling in order to keep the main thing, the main thing. Homeschooling is a journey that some people have chosen to travel on. It is not an easy task because like public school teacher, you are molding minds.

Blessings to you on your homeschooling journey.

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Well, let's see if I can put a different spin on things and get a bit controversial.

Not controversial first:

1. One of my twins, in a very small, private Montessori preschool/kindergarten, was not able to learn in that environment. It was too distracting and she had trouble focusing. She was delayed in just about everything the other kids were doing. (She now reads well beyond her years and is ahead in everything except math. She just needed a different time scale.)

2. I really love it. OK, I don't always love teaching and the hassles that can go with it. I love my children and the family we have created because of homeschooling. :001_wub:

Controversial:

1. I've read enough about the development and purposes of the public schools. My children are not a product to serve a state and there is almost nothing politically they teach that I can agree with. I can't afford a private school, if I could find one that wasn't simply mimicking the state schools.

2. I believe much of our society to be toxic for the healthy development, mentally and spiritually, for children. This isn't the case in all areas but when you believe your children's mental and spiritual well being are at stake, I'm not going to play Russian Roulette and see if we make it through OK. This is not a public school issue necessarily, it's usually the peer interaction that goes with it. When peers become their life, they want to get into the same games, TV, styles and celebrity worship I despise. I'd rather I was their main influence, flawed as I may be. At least I love them enough to try and provide better for them. MTV doesn't love them. :coolgleamA:

I needed to read all these posts today! I had a really rough week with my kids that ended with me searching out the local Christian school tuition rates and my dh coming home with a bottle of wine and assurances that I *can* do this. Good guy. Anyway - the reasons why I homeschool:

1. To enable our family to live a less busy/rushed/frantic lifestyle. This has become the norm with so many families and we aspire to a more slowed down pace of life. Being less busy is a good thing!

2. Family closeness. We love that we we have more time together and the kids aren't all going separate ways everyday.

3. Academics. There is no doubt our kids get to experience more and better academics at home. They don't love every aspect of school (handwriting comes to mind...) but on the whole they love to learn and I love experiencing that with them.

4. Avoidance of worldliness. I don't keep my kids in a bubble but homeschooling definitely limits their exposure to worldliness and lengthens their childhood.

5. Freedom. We love the freedom of homeschooling! It is so fun to go to museums during school when they are empty and to enjoy more time to play outdoors and explore.

And of course after typing all this out I'm once again reminded of how much I *do* love doing this....great thread!

Thank you all for sharing. I shall save these words to have on hand whenever I question my purpose. :)

I had received a very upset email from a friend's mother who heard through the grapevine that we were homeschooling. The letter, written by a Kindergarten teacher, was very biased, very negative, and upset me quite a bit. I was so very happy to discover this forum, and through it, like-minded people who share similar values to family and education. Your words are, indeed, a great comfort to me! Thank you for your joy!

Keep the comments coming!

Easiest answer of many reasons we home school:

We like it. We enjoy the lifestyle. My gifts are in teaching, and I love to learn alongside my kids. If I sent them to school, what would happen to *my* education? I am learning so much, and even with all of the work, I am enjoying this road tremendously. Kids are too.

My top reasons:

1) I saw first hand our local public schools when I was doing my student teaching while earning my teaching degree. I was pregnant with my first and my heart sank as I thought about my own child in that school. It just wasn't good enough.....in many ways. Mississippi schools are ranked....what.....48th or 49th in the nation?! It still baffles me to see bumper stickers around town saying "We're proud of our public schools"!

2) We couldn't afford private school.

3) I had horrible public school experiences as a child and did not recieve a decent education until college.

4) I wanted to be with my child. I couldn't stomach the idea of sending my baby off to school. I also have issues with any one telling me what to do with my child. I don't trust that every adult around my child has my child's best interest at heart......in fact, very few do in my opinion.

5) I wanted to be able to teach my children about God and our faith.

6) I wanted my children to get a great education. It thrills me that my kids learn Latin! I didn't even know what Latin was until high school or later! I also love that they learn history in a chronological way. That just makes sense to me! When I was in school, reading was a chore. I had stacks of Cliff notes so I wouldn't have to actually read the book. I love that my kids adore reading and being read to! My youngest daughter has begged me all weekend to do a science lesson......she's dying to add to her ocean box! I'm so thankful my kids are learning and love it!

7) I want to protect my children from certain peer influences. I'd like my children to stay children. I also don't want the school system deciding what they teach my children about sex or other controversial issues.

8) I feel more at peace having my kids with me each day and being the one that protects them.

Thanks for the great thread! It's a nice reminder to myself of why I'm doing what I'm doing!

I don't think an institutional setting is a good place for children to be raised/educated.

I have higher goals and standards for my children's education than the public and private schools in our area have for their students.

Our family enjoys cooperative learning and spending lots of time together.

My children are asynchronous (sp?) in their development. They are ahead of their peers (agemates) in certain aspects of learning. I don't think the public or private schools in this area would be prepared to meet their needs and challenge them in ways that are as effective as the individualized education they receive at home.

I want my children to have the benefits of a classical education. None of the schools in our area is classical.

We had great success with caring for and educating our children from birth to age 5, so we saw no reason to depart from this. We are quite in tune with each of our children's interests, abilities, strengths, challenges, needs, and temperament. This familiarity-- coupled with the high level of investment we have in our children--makes us far better candidates to educate them than the complete strangers who would be randomly assigned to teach them at a school.

Our children don't enjoy spending large amounts of time with adults who are total strangers to them.

Dh and I are well-educated, intelligent, thoughtful, capable, caring people. We see no need to outsource our children's education at this point.

Been there, done that, too, Lolly!

1. Better academics, and at her pace, as I knew she would be horrible bored in school.

2. I could raise my child myself, and be there to see her grow up, not give others that pleasure.

3. Please don't get me for this, but, considering we are not Christian in a very Christian area, I was very afraid of the problems that would cause. While it has caused us lots of probs hs'ing, we can back away from it somewhat; in school, not at all.

4. I didn't see this when I started, but the difference in attitude, in comportment, etc, alone is worth it--you can sit in a playground and tell who is homeschooled and who is public schooled, at least around here--the homeschooled kids don't curse, call nasty names, they play well together, etc. It is lovely.

So they can work in my sweatshop.

Nah, just kidding.

Pretty much the same reasons everyone has- we're military, thus we move a ton, and this way the kids gets a cohesive education;academic excellence we can't get at ps, and can't afford from a private school;ability to tailor the education to the individual child.

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢First of all, while I was getting my teaching degree, the progressive educational theory I was exploring on the side was based around the idea that the classroom should be more like the "real world", with genuine field experiences and applied concepts in all academic areas. This begged the question, "Why be in the classroom in the first place?"

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Gifted programs are practically non-existent at the elementary level, and fine arts are on the decline.

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢History and science instruction are minimal in the early grades, and my oldest son in particular is passionately interested in both these subjects.

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢I hate the focus on standardized testing.

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Once I truly saw how much my kids could love learning new things and compared that to the attitudes of the schoolchildren I knew, it was a no-brainer.

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢It seemed kind of silly to teach in one classroom while my children were taught in another one down the hall...especially when I was missing them so badly.

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢The things we'd have had to do to cope with both of us working full-time and having them in school full-time would have compromised a lot of our core values.

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Conservation ethic, social justice, tolerance and anti-commercialism are all difficult attitudes/behaviors to teach when one's child is being immersed in their opposites daily.

My reasons are:

1. "No child left behind" = no child is advanced

2. The local school system leaves a lot to be desired.

3. Teaching to the test - no way, not my kids.

4. Even more time to spend with my sweet babies.

Besides, I also believe (at least for me) "if you want it done right, do it yourself."

Great thread! It is one I will return to in about four months when I get down and can't seem to remember why I started this crazy journey.

1) We are Canadians living in the US and originally we started believing that we would one day return to Canada. For the sake of continuity we wanted dc to learn French and Canadian history and geography.

2) I truly do not think *forced* early acedemics work well. My dd was not one sit still and do as told. She is a strong minded girl and God made her that way. She will need it someday so why train it out of her.

3) Freedom of learning speeds.

4) Freedom to learn what is most interesting to each dc.

Now, I cannot imagine giving it up for the ps lifestyle. I really love the flexibility and freedom and so do my dc.

Welcome to the diversity that is homeschooling! I hope your first year is a great one!

Why do I homeschool?

Mostly because I'm not a good cog (as my friend M once said). I just cannot blindly follow the herd like cattle. There is more focus on stupid stuff in public school than there is on education.

I have found that year after year, I got more and more annoyed with all the insanity that seems to be par for the public school course. I cannot deal with anymore PTA Politics, or idiotic pointless policies that everyone just does because that's what you're supposed to do.

Now, I know that my children will be learning, getting a much better education than before, and will have a chance to be kids. And they'll never have to spend another MONTH learning about penguins for the third year in a row! Good grief!

J

#1 It's the simplest way to "train them up in the way that they should go."

#2 After researching the smorgasboard of opportunities through HSing, PS seems.....academically anemic!

#3 Ds5 has uneven skills/abilities at this point. I would guess he is at the level of pre-k in fm skills (including hw), 1st grade in reading, 2nd at least in his curiosity and understanding of science. If he were to be held at the level of his handwriting (which HAPPENS), he would H.A.T.E. school!!! I certainly don't want to take the chance that he get a teacher (in K) who would make him feel stupid for being slow in developing hand muscles....and I've been advised this way by an OT as well;)

#4 They are MY dc and I want to WRITE their "week in reviews", not simple READ them!!!

I want to see his face when he finds a birds nest in the backyard, and I want to hear his quirky little musings about the bird who once lived there.....and if he is in school all day I won't hear those things....if he's in school all day he won't have time for such musings.