Menu

I have to pay for dd to volunteer

TexasRachel

Does anyone else think this is dumb? Dd is volunteering at the Boys and Girls Club now. She did it a little during the summer, but wanted to continue through the school year. They were ecstatic. I drop her off and they tell me it'll be $20. Um, what? Yeah because she's under 18 she has to pay. I'm waiting to talk to the actual director (who had mentioned trying to arrange the budget to pay dd) to find out more information. How is that not ridiculous? Needless to say, dd is very upset, but no way are we paying for it.

$20 for the year?  Maybe it pays for her t-shirt and some snacks?  I mean, I agree that you shouldn't actually have to pay to volunteer somewhere, I'm just trying to see why it might be that they choose to do that.

$20 really isn't very much money for a year of doing something.  If it will be very valuable to your daughter, I would find a way for her to earn that money so she can volunteer there.

Definitely speak to the director to find out more. I'm just theorizing here but that $20 could be for anything from insurance, tee-shirt, snacks, a group trip or training materials to maybe the end of the year party or something.

It is so stupid for them to ask someone to pay who is volunteering their time as though it is an actual payment if it isn't. How is that not supposed to strike someone as stupid. I'd have asked them for clarification: "So, wait, my daughter is here to give of her time, energy and efforts to your organizations and you're going to charge us for it?" if they didn't blush and clarify I'd have laughed out loud.

But yes, it is a shame when nonprofits burden volunteers, sometimes to the point where they don't want to bother.  I used to be active with several organizations and it was ridiculous - volunteers who worked with children had to have various checks done at the cost of the organization, and the organizations were operating on a shoestring.  And that is not a service anyone pays for.  We're talking about mostly elderly retired people working with mostly poor children.

In defense of the organization ----- some "volunteers" (those that are there for reasons not entirely altruistic) are a pain-- they can be unreliable and unmotivated.  I would think that the extra cost of insurance and training them would add up if they are flaky and unproductive--- probably enough to make it not worth the "help".

I think it is weird that it wasn't stated up front.  Dd and I volunteer at an animal shelter.  We paid an initial fee for the t-shirt and training (like $25 per person.)  Each year $10 per person.  It helps cover administrative costs for the program.  I pay it gladly because it is a donation to a cause that runs solely on donations.  Also, it is one of the few places that allows volunteers under 18 (children ages 10 to 15 volunteer with an adult sponsor, which means I have to volunteer with her.) She actually does meaningful work - socializing the dogs to teach behaviors to help them be more adoptable, cleaning up after them, walking them, doing laundry, etc. 

I agree.  It's dumb.  To put it in perspective though, I have to pay to be a Girl Scout leader.  I have to join each year even though I'm volunteering to lead my daughter's troop.

I've never heard of a GSA or BSA troop that didn't cover the leaders' annual memberships. That seems like it should be the first item in the budget.

I've never heard of a GSA or BSA troop that didn't cover the leaders' annual memberships. That seems like it should be the first item in the budget.

Our BSA troop hasn't ever paid leaders dues and neither has our GSA troop. It's just not something that we cover. We do however pay our leaders' BSA summer camp costs.

We've been in scouting troops that paid for volunteer registrations and troops that did not pay for volunteer registrations. I've paid to volunteer in *lots* of organizations. I've paid for my own CPR/First Aid training, paid for my own background checks, paid for memberships, paid for other types of training, etc.

ETA: Kids under 18 aren't allowed to sign up as adult volunteers in some of the youth programs we've been involved with. They have to register as youths.

Our troop has not previously covered adult leaders' registrations nor the Scout Master's summer camp fee. This year we are starting off with a very small group of boys and involved parents and we have discussed covering these fees in the future, as well as adult chaperone's fees for campouts and such.

Still need to talk to the director, but I was told it was a weekly fee. Tshirts, insurance, membership, I'd be fine with. Not so much paying to have my daughter work there.

I'd check and see if it's the same cost as the membership fee.  If she's under 18 they may be using her as a volunteer, but also adding her to the list of students being served, for whatever reason.

Does anyone else think this is dumb? Dd is volunteering at the Boys and Girls Club now. She did it a little during the summer, but wanted to continue through the school year. They were ecstatic. I drop her off and they tell me it'll be $20. Um, what? Yeah because she's under 18 she has to pay. I'm waiting to talk to the actual director (who had mentioned trying to arrange the budget to pay dd) to find out more information. How is that not ridiculous? Needless to say, dd is very upset, but no way are we paying for it.

What??? Seriously?

The nursing home down the street was happy to have my daughter.  No money extracted here!

Still need to talk to the director, but I was told it was a weekly fee. Tshirts, insurance, membership, I'd be fine with. Not so much paying to have my daughter work there.

$20 PER WEEK to volunteer?  Uh, no.  I can see $20 a year to cover t-shirt, membership, training, or whatever. 

$20 per week, I would just say no thanks.

The pack and troops we were a part of always paid for the leaders dues.

$20 a week?  Are you kidding me?  Babysitting costs less!  It's not physics tutoring, for crying out loud!  BTW, the volunteer director at the animal shelter told me that the yearly fee ($10 for repeaters, $25 for new) helps weed out those who aren't serious about it.  Also, requiring an adult sponsor helps keep kids from goofing off. 

I had to pay for my family to volunteer at a convention...I did it.  But, they were up front about the reasons (I don't really agree with them, but I was volunteering to get early entrance to something else...so...I paid).

BUT, I would not pay $20 a week for my child to volunteer somewhere.  The food bank is free...the community garden is free...Fire on the Rappahannock was free (they even gave my son a t-shirt...of course he put in close to 60 hours for them, too), VBS was free, community baseball was free...my child has never had to pay to volunteer anywhere (not allowed at the Y, must be 18yo to volunteer there).  

As an adult, I've had to pay some registrations, or other classes I've taken (voluntarily), but our troop has tried to cover the more expensive things...I know they'd like to do more, but at least they do something!

I agree. It's dumb. To put it in perspective though, I have to pay to be a Girl Scout leader. I have to join each year even though I'm volunteering to lead my daughter's troop.

Leader here also. In this case the fee is for both a CORI check and insurance. I would guess the Boys & Girls Club uses membership fees to cover insurance as well.

ETA ---no way should she have to pay every week. An annual fee, maybe, not weekly.

That does seem ridiculous. I wouldn't be comfortable paying it either.

As a scout leader I have to register every year, just like my daughter, and I get why but it's dumb! I work more than $15 worth a year. I still wouldn't want our troop paying for leader registration, we have all flavors of scouts times 2 leaders per flavor, and then I'd just have to pay more out of pocket for events.

I agree.  It's dumb.  To put it in perspective though, I have to pay to be a Girl Scout leader.  I have to join each year even though I'm volunteering to lead my daughter's troop.

I have to pay to buy the T-shirt for my volunteer work as a AWANA listener. I would ask and find out what it is for. But if you can afford it, I'd pay it. $20 is really reasonable and I can think of many reasonable reasons for such a request. It seems to me the problem here is how it was told to you.

NM I wouldn't pay weekly.