Menu

I don't get the Miley Cyrus debacle from VMA's.

Samiam

You don't think it was supposed to be sexy? Really?

Not really. But maybe that's because my idea of sexy includes elements of romance, and her performance didn't make me think of anything like that. Sexual, sure. Aggressive and forceful even. But not sexy, in my opinion. I dunno, my husband might think differently. We're not wired to see the same things as sexy, kwim?

;)

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, that reminds me, I watched the m/v for Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke and I laughed out loud at that whole mess.  I never would take it so seriously as to think it was a rape song... I mean, lyrics like that are all over the place, kwim?  And the whole thing.... so stupid.  :lol:

I never did like the way Robin Thicke looked/acted anyway.  Just comes off a little creepy to me, idly.  (and yes, I thought this long before the performance at the VMAs!  His part in that performance didn't matter to me in the least.)

LOL! Okay, okay, relax. :tongue_smilie:

Your theories are just as pie in the sky as mine are. Who determines that the American culture is, in fact, puritan? What proof is there that we would be perfectly fine with sexual imagery and sexually aggressive women (or men, but for the sake of this conversation, women) with no shame at all if our crazily-inhibited culture hadn't restricted us in some way?

Well, I don't think either of our theories are pie in the sky. I just think mine has the benefit of evidence whereas yours is accepted on faith and appeals to an implied authority of tradition. In answer to your question, I think from casting adulteresses out of the New England colonies to advocating legislation that defines sodomy as formally illegal, our nation has a clear history of protecting a particular set of sexual behaviors against deviations, public and private. Looking to cultures that differ in their interpretations of sexual behavior will show the difference in attitudes and subsequent responses to various behavior. The idea of shame is subjectively applied, and is a powerful tool for society to keep unified in a lot of ways. I do not suggest those cultures that don't equate non-conventional-by-western-civilization standards of sex don't impose elements of shame in their society, however, but just not in the same direction as we do with regard to sexual behavior. 

No problem.

I haven't even figured out how to type stuff on a tablet. LOL

It's not easy!

My husband is the web guru for one of our local media outlets; I am a source of constant amusement and frustration for the poor man. :P

I also laughed at the article because the page view numbers and google analytics driving content is absolutely spot on.

Since I don't have to watch her, and she's not forcefully piped into my TV or my router, and she's breaking any laws, I don't care.  The only reason I'm on this thread is I don't understand why some others who share the same lack of appreciation would even worry about what she does.

It's because you don't HAVE to be emotionally attached to a topic to have a conversation about it. It's just chit-chat and this IS the Chit Chat board.

On this, you and I agree. Interestingly, much of the U.S. is hopelessly tuned into this... soap opera? ...falling star? ...Schadenfreude? CNN's top stories revolve around Miley Cyrus, above the wildfires in Yosemite threatening the water supply of the city of San Francisco, above what's going on in Syria, above the hostile oppression of LGBTQ by law in Russia. The fact is, this is news across the country. People are talking about it, and what they're talking about is Miley Cyrus acting like a slut in public, Miley Cyrus threatens American values of decency and innocence, Miley Cyrus must be depressed, surely no one in their right minds would hire a choreographer to create that piece.

Most people are capable of holding multiple thoughts and ideas in their heads. You can't assume that just because someone is having this conversation that they don't know or care what is going on elsewhere in the world.

The ladies from Alabama State who danced with Drake were far more talented and s*xy than Miley. Miley was awkward; the Stingettes were beautiful. I'd much rather have seen the whole performance with just the Stingettes and no Miley (or teddy bears). I felt the same way when Madonna danced with Southern University during the Super Bowl. Their talent upstaged Madonna and made the pop star look dated. No skin color has the claim to particular dance movements, but many dancers from HBCs have a style that doesn't get showcased often and I wish they weren't used to prop up bad performances.

Did you see the show Drumline? It toured the country and I saw it at a Baltimore Symphony Orchestra venue. They collected musicians and dancers from several HBCUs and managed to pull off an epic halftime show in a symphony hall. I would ABSOLUTELY watch that again.

She's an adult. Her father has been reported as sad and worried about her choices in the past.

I am neutral about her Dad but the assumptions in the quoted paragraph are inaccurate. Millions of young adults make egregious choices regardless of parenting style.

I've read a few articles about BRC's sadness. He seems to blame EVERYONE he ever met for the state of his family.

Miley minds me a bit of Paris Hilton. She's had every advantage, and has been told her whole life how special she is, but she doesn't have any REAL talent, charisma, or sex appeal. They are attractive girls, but they're not 'hot' and that seems to be the thing they really want. Some second-generation celebrities inherit real talent, but many don't and are given multiple opportunities to embarrass themselves publicly.

Well, I don't think either of our theories are pie in the sky. I just think mine has the benefit of evidence whereas yours is accepted on faith and appeals to an implied authority of tradition. In answer to your question, I think from casting adulteresses out of the New England colonies to advocating legislation that defines sodomy as formally illegal, our nation has a clear history of protecting a particular set of sexual behaviors against deviations, public and private. Looking to cultures that differ in their interpretations of sexual behavior will show the difference in attitudes and subsequent responses to various behavior. The idea of shame is subjectively applied, and is a powerful tool for society to keep unified in a lot of ways. I do not suggest those cultures that don't equate non-conventional-by-western-civilization standards of sex don't impose elements of shame in their society, however, but just not in the same direction as we do with regard to sexual behavior.

Personally, I can't believe that anyone is taking the time to try to turn Miley Cyrus's silly performance at the VMAs into some sort of serious philosophical discussion. She isn't worth the effort.

She tried to be sexy. She tried to be hot. It was an epic fail. End of story.

I'm not sure why anyone is trying to do any kind of deeper analysis into something this incredibly ridiculous.

Obviously, if you feel the need to debate and analyze it, go ahead and have at it. It just seems like it's adding a whole lot of importance to something that most people seem to have viewed as little more than Miley Cyrus making herself into even more of a caricature than she already was.

Personally, I can't believe that anyone is taking the time to try to turn Miley Cyrus's silly performance at the VMAs into some sort of serious philosophical discussion. She isn't worth the effort.

For you.

She tried to be sexy. She tried to be hot. It was an epic fail. End of story.

For you.

I'm not sure why anyone is trying to do any kind of deeper analysis into something this incredibly ridiculous.

Ridiculous to you.

Obviously, if you feel the need to debate and analyze it, go ahead and have at it. It just seems like it's adding a whole lot of importance to something that most people seem to have viewed as little more than Miley Cyrus making herself into even more of a caricature than she already was.

How ironic that you would take the time to post your opinion that this conversation is unworthy of the time it takes to post opinions. The idea that you have spoken, put your foot down, ended the story, may very well suit you. However, not everyone shares your opinion, and if you're not interested in my comments, you needn't comment on them. I get the impression this post is supposed to serve as a mock slap-down, put me in my place, embarrass me for thinking too deeply about something so trivial, and let me let people move on. No one is stopping you or anyone else from moving on. You don't have to like my comments, and with the handy "ignore" feature of the forum, you don't even have to read them.

For you.

For you.

Ridiculous to you.

How ironic that you would take the time to post your opinion that this conversation is unworthy of the time it takes to post opinions. The idea that you have spoken, put your foot down, ended the story, may very well suit you. However, not everyone shares your opinion, and if you're not interested in my comments, you needn't comment on them. I get the impression this post is supposed to serve as a mock slap-down, put me in my place, embarrass me for thinking too deeply about something so trivial, and let me let people move on. No one is stopping you or anyone else from moving on. You don't have to like my comments, and with the handy "ignore" feature of the forum, you don't even have to read them.

Good heavens, get over yourself. :glare:

You're looking for a fight and I'm not taking the bait.

What's sad to me is that she's put forth as a product or brand instead of a human being.  What troubles me is that she is surrounded by people who benefit from the spectacle without suffering from the consequences.

I didn't watch the show.  I've avoided the clips.  As someone pointed out earlier, I already saw that episode of CSI.

You're looking for a fight and I'm not taking the bait.

You misunderstand me, and attribute intent where there is not. I'm not "looking for a fight;" I'm responding to a discussion about a particular topic. I find certain aspects in this topic of interest. I understand everyone doesn't. I don't expect everyone, or even the majority of people to find the same things interesting that I do. Nor do I have any expectation that my opinion will be popular. No one's comments should be mistaken as "looking for a fight," because just they don't agree with others. 

What's sad to me is that she's put forth as a product or brand instead of a human being. What troubles me is that she is surrounded by people who benefit from the spectacle without suffering from the consequences

I get zero Stepford-Britneyesque vibe here. Quite the opposite.

You misunderstand me, and attribute intent where there is not. I'm not "looking for a fight;" I'm responding to a discussion about a particular topic. I find certain aspects in this topic of interest. I understand everyone doesn't. I don't expect everyone, or even the majority of people to find the same things interesting that I do. Nor do I have any expectation that my opinion will be popular. No one's comments should be mistaken as "looking for a fight," because just they don't agree with others. 

Can't really speak to your intent, but I can tell you that entire post to Cat sounded like a third grader saying, 'so says you!'

What's sad to me is that she's put forth as a product or brand instead of a human being.  What troubles me is that she is surrounded by people who benefit from the spectacle without suffering from the consequences.

The feeling I get here is that Miley is the one pulling the strings. Her brand, her prerogative. I get that. I just think it's bad branding.

Has anyone else watched German MTV? I agree about Prince. The only thing girls wear in his European videos is jewelry. I assure, my "Puritan" outlook is not the issue, LOL!!!

The problem is that I didn't like her performance and I didn't think it was sexy. I would call it provocative...at best. Mostly (and I said this elsewhere)? I think she looked like the result of a Billy Idol/Gene Simmons/giraffe relationship. Gangly, awkward, aggressive, poser-ish.

I don't understand the uproar, either. It's not like she stripped naked and set herself ablaze.  

The tongue thing, though, is odd.  Why the tongue?

She might as well have.  It couldn't have made it any worse than it was.

Two things...

I think there's too little thought about the harm that initial "wholesome" image does to these child stars. It may be restricting and suffocating for them and its ridiculously shallow for the kids that watch them.

I'm pretty sure that if that act had been shown on a European awards show then no, three wouldn't be the moral outrage but also there would be few who weren't left laughing and few who thought there was anything redeeming about it socially or artistically.

It was a pile of teddy bear poo. Plain and simple.

Two things...

I think there's too little thought about the harm that initial "wholesome" image does to these child stars. It may be restricting and suffocating for them and its ridiculously shallow for the kids that watch them.

I think part of the problem with the Disney kids is that they have a role on a show and then Disney sends them out on tours and appearances as their characters.  So, it's not "Miley Cyrus is a singer who plays a character called Hanna Montana," it's "Hanna Montana tickets on sale now!"  They never get a break and it seems like Disney actively promotes this weird fusion of the actors and their roles.  Maybe at the end of the day the character and the actor are actually a lot alike, but when the show ends the actor has a choice of either remaining "normal" and being laughed off as still playing the role or making a big break and doing whatever it takes to be different.

I'm trying to think of other networks that treated their teenaged stars similarly and I'm drawing a blank.  If anything, it seems like a lot of the kids on shows in the 80s were featured in completely different roles on TV movies and such, as if the networks were giving them a chance to show themselves in a different light.

Yeah, not exactly puritan around here (did I mention my oldest went to a Brittney Spears concert when she was 7?).   I grew up on Madonna and Prince.  That definitely isn't my issue with the performance.

I know a couple people have mentioned it as a successful PR stunt since everyone is talking about her, but I'm not so sure.  Yes, people are talking about her.  But, they aren't talking about how edgy and shocking she is. They're talking about what a train wreck she is.  That's not going to sell records and it's not going to earn her money (not that she probably needs more).   Right now none of the teens/early 20's I know would admit to being a fan - they don't want to buy her music, they don't want to go to her concerts, they want to see her go away.   And the only parents of young teens/tweens who will buy her music are those who somehow managed to miss this whole debacle.  Not the goal of most PR programs.

Has anyone else watched German MTV? I agree about Prince. The only thing girls wear in his European videos is jewelry. I assure, my "Puritan" outlook is not the issue, LOL!!!

The problem is that I didn't like her performance and I didn't think it was sexy. I would call it provocative...at best. Mostly (and I said this elsewhere)? I think she looked like the result of a Billy Idol/Gene Simmons/giraffe relationship. Gangly, awkward, aggressive, poser-ish.

Exactly. My first thought with the tongue thing was Gene Simmons wannabe. That was bound to go horribly wrong from the beginning. Then it turned into some kind of gangsta-sex-in-the-hood cross that most definitely didn't work.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. If I may ask, do you think when Miley Cyrus first agreed to, and was was rehearsing for this performance, she could have felt it was authentic to her? What kinds of differences would have made it authentic for you?

That's a good question. The nutshell answer is, of course it's possible she felt it was authentic for her, and I don't know what would have made it seem authentic to me. All I know was that I just sat there and waited for it to be over because it wasn't good.

It's not about how she feels, anyway, it's about how she performs. A good performance is about belief, an interaction between the performer and the audience, and skill. The performance was unconvincing and poorly done. She couldn't carry it off. It came across as attention-seeking rather than presenting an authentically held viewpoint, even if she feels differently about it.

Cat

I am more disgusted by Robin Thicke.  All I can say is I am glad it is his wife that puts up with a video with naked women, and some young girl rubbing her butt all over him.  Not to mention using the foam finger to stroke his genitals.  Not the way I would want my husband to be making money.  Blech.

I am more disgusted by Robin Thicke.  All I can say is I am glad it is his wife that puts up with a video with naked women, and some young girl rubbing her butt all over him.  Not to mention using the foam finger to stroke his genitals.  Not the way I would want my husband to be making money.  Blech.

Did you not see the earlier post about the double-digit orgasms?!? Maybe she stays for those??

Best quote, "MTV, you're doing the near impossible. You're making sexuality seem boring." I agree with that.

Did you not see the earlier post about the double-digit orgasms?!? Maybe she stays for those??

I always got the idea that some women are just more blessed in that arena...that it had more to do with the woman than the man? Hm...I can't really say anything else without really over-sharing, lol.

Apparently you're not the only one who thought she reminded them of a giraffe. :huh:

http://humortrain.com/post/59518599119

I was browsing through the humor section on Pinterest and this popped up. I came back here because I was certain someone had made the same comparison.

I finally watched the video so I can be entitled to an opinion. :-)

My reaction was that if Miley wants to be her generation's Madonna, she needs a better choreographer, personal trainer, and voice coach.  Madonna pushed the envelope, but dang, she looked (and sounded) good doing it.  On her Italian concert video, she was combing the sweat out of her hair and she even made that look sexy!  Miley's performance wasn't attractive in any way.

Have you ever had a boyfriend who didn't get the intricacies of french kissing?  Instead of teasing with his tongue, he rammed the whole thing down your throat?  That's what Miley's "tongue action" reminds me of.  It was gross instead of sexy because she doesn't know how to use it in a sexy way.

I hope I'm wrong, but I do think Miley might be starting a downward spiral of self-destruction.  Brittney Spears also started out by marketing herself as a wholesome Christian (and maybe it was sincere; I can't judge that), then progressed to, "Oh I can't help wearing these clothes because they're just so cute," and it was just downhill from there.  And of course there are numerous other examples of young stars who self-destruct because they don't know how to handle fame and wealth at such a young age.  Maybe I'm cynical because we've seen it so many times.

I've been thinking on this and I don't get the support for Miley`s assertive or aggressive sexuality. That because it comes partly at the expense of the black women she's dancing with.

She's appropriated a dance move associated with a specific sub-culture, she's relegated the black women she's dancing with to ridiculous set pieces with the teddy bears strapped to their back and one woman is reduced to nothing more then a backside that Miley gropes. That last bit has bothered me since I watched the video.

ETA: from what I've read, Robin Thicke`s a little put out that Ms. Cyrus overshadowed his performance. I don't have much sympathy for him.

I finally watched the video so I can be entitled to an opinion. :-)

My reaction was that if Miley wants to be her generation's Madonna, she needs a better choreographer, personal trainer, and voice coach.  Madonna pushed the envelope, but dang, she looked (and sounded) good doing it.  On her Italian concert video, she was combing the sweat out of her hair and she even made that look sexy!  Miley's performance wasn't attractive in any way.

Have you ever had a boyfriend who didn't get the intricacies of french kissing?  Instead of teasing with his tongue, he rammed the whole thing down your throat?  That's what Miley's "tongue action" reminds me of.  It was gross instead of sexy because she doesn't know how to use it in a sexy way.

I hope I'm wrong, but I do think Miley might be starting a downward spiral of self-destruction.  Brittney Spears also started out by marketing herself as a wholesome Christian (and maybe it was sincere; I can't judge that), then progressed to, "Oh I can't help wearing these clothes because they're just so cute," and it was just downhill from there.  And of course there are numerous other examples of young stars who self-destruct because they don't know how to handle fame and wealth at such a young age.  Maybe I'm cynical because we've seen it so many times.

you know, this is one of the things I keep coming back to.  It's not that she just presented herself as a sweet all-American innocent girl... she did do interviews where she talked about her Christian faith (albeit rather vague at times).  So, going from a wholesome *Christian* to tweerking and tongue action on stage with a much older man is "Whoa, what happened?" moment for many people.

Yes, I watched her performance.  Yes, it was gross...sexually explicit....not even sure if she sings well.  Her outfits were horrifying.  Her makeup and hair....a beautiful girl ruined.  I get all that.  If that's all the debacle was about, okay, I agree.  But people are acting is if Miley is the next Lindsey Lohan, and just turned to pure evil.

But here's the thing....it's SHOW BUSINESS.  It's a PERFORMANCE.   It's not by far the yuckiest  performance put on at these types of shows.  It's been like this for years.  Madonna raised eyebrows when I was a teenager, with her "Like a Virgin" performance.   Years later, Madonna and Britney Spears kissed and gyrated.  Britney, for that matter, had a similiar debacle, when she first tried to break out of that "teenager" to "adult" star..and thus wore the apparently mandated skimpy outfit while gyrating on stage.

I mean, from what I've seen of her personal interviews, she's seems pretty grounded for a millionaire famous 19 year old raised in the public eye.  I don't read articles about her out partying all the time, aka Lindsey Lohan.   I mean, I've seen pics, etc where she goes out...that's normal for a 19 year old...but it doesn't seem excessive.

I just don't get why this one business move, this performance, has people in an uproar about how Miley is going down the wrong road, turned evil, disappointing, etc on a personal level.

It isn't quite the same as being an actor in a role, as in a movie or play. It's a performance, and the star is the one giving it. She isn't performing under an assumed name. So she sort of "owns" the performance, so to speak. I would argue it isn't the sort of performance a "grounded" person would give, but that's a matter of opinion.

I don't see everyone as being in any kind of moral uproar, I think the culture is too jaded for that at this point. I think people were just appalled at how pathetic the whole thing seemed.

I'm just thinking, "you poor thing."

If she's gyrating all the way to the bank at the success of her performance, so be it. I can only hope for her sake her personal life is as "grounded" as you seem to think it is. And if so, good for her.

you know, this is one of the things I keep coming back to. It's not that she just presented herself as a sweet all-American innocent girl... she did do interviews where she talked about her Christian faith (albeit rather vague at times). So, going from a wholesome *Christian* to tweerking and tongue action on stage with a much older man is "Whoa, what happened?" moment for many people.

Want she a minor for much of that marketing? She likely said a lot off things her handlers wanted her too and didn't say a lot because they made it clear she shouldn't.

Not that she wasn't our isn't a Christian but they were seeking a very simple and uncomplicated version of this young women and people, even knowing that young women are generally more complicated and interesting and conflicted, happily bought it because they wanted to use Miley for their own purposes like wholesome idol for their daughters.

We continue to buy what the snake oil salesmen are selling despite knowing it's too good to be true and continue to get upset when it backfires on us. Meanwhile Disney and others happily feed more children into their mill.

This is a good comparison. I just keep coming back to the same word - awkward. The tongue, the dance moves, the twerking, attempts at being shocking, all were just...awkward.

So post-VMA she is now invading the sports world with her "groundedness." The sports world objects to the unwelcome attention that a Miley Cameo brings. I don't have a problem with Miley making buttloads of money and furthering her career objectives. I'm just glad she isn't my kid, and hope that this is an aberration that eventually rights itself, or perhaps that she's secretly living a relatively healthy life behind all the "performances."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1751925-miley-cyrus-wears-jordan-jersey-has-gone-too-far

:tongue_smilie:  :001_tt2:  :ack2:  :drool5:  We need more tongue smilies.

i just wanted to respond to this statement by the OP... and just overall "normal 19 year old trying to find her way" type choices."...NOT TRUE!  I have a 19 year old and she would be disgusted by this "normal 19 year old" behavior.  Miley's behavior, sadly is so not normal.  Yes, she is screaming for attention but maybe if she acted with more class and less crass she would be taken more seriously.  At this point, good publicity stunt or not, she made an utter fool of herself and sadly, THAT is what people are going to be reminded of.  And no, the poor thing cannot sing her way out of a paper bag.  Never could!

i just wanted to respond to this statement by the OP... and just overall "normal 19 year old trying to find her way" type choices."...NOT TRUE!  I have a 19 year old and she would be disgusted by this "normal 19 year old" behavior.  Miley's behavior, sadly is so not normal.  Yes, she is screaming for attention but maybe if she acted with more class and less crass she would be taken more seriously.  At this point, good publicity stunt or not, she made an utter fool of herself and sadly, THAT is what people are going to be reminded of.  And no, the poor thing cannot sing her way out of a paper bag.  Never could!

She could never dance either. I always wondered why she surrounded herself with dancers who made her look so bad by comparison. She needs to put those bridesmaids in some UGLY dresses. Wait . . . . maybe that explains the teddy bears?