Menu

Do you have a recipe that is just SO good, and SO much better than any other that you'd cry if you lost it?

Julie in CA

If so, do you wanna swap? I am sitting here eating chicken pot pie that I consider absolutely a treasure. I would literally cry if I lost the recipe (except that I know where to find it again online, lol!). I have never tasted pot pie filling that I thought was this good. If I had to pick a last meal, this might be it.

I also have a peanut butter chocolate dessert recipe that I feel the same way about (except that I have it memorized). It's very, VERY good, and I am not kidding you when I say that people wax philosophical about this dessert. I make a lot of desserts for the restaurant, and there are lots of good ones, but fans of this particular dessert actually whine when we run out.

Mmmm....I also have a pulled pork sandwich recipe that I love. It's pork, after all, how could you go wrong? Still, this one makes my mouth water.

I'd consider pm'ing any of these treasure recipes of mine, if anyone has a "treasure recipe" that they just KNOW I would want.

:bigear:  :lurk5:

ETA: It doesn't have to be a recipe that you personally composed. It can be one that you made up, were given, found online or on the back of a can. The point is that it has to be one where people are uniformly blown away when you serve it to them.  :thumbup1:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could I have them even if I don't have a "blow you away" recipe?

My taco roll ups are always a potluck hit and teens ask me over and over to bring them but they aren't a WOW recipe.  They are just a simple food.

Mix

1 8 oz cream cheese

1 packet taco seasoning mix

1 can refried beans

Spread on flour tortilla.  Sprinkle with finely shredded cheese.  Roll up.  Cut into thirds or 1 inch pinwheels.  Serve with salsa if desired.

They are just super simple, can be made up ahead of time, and transport well so this is often my "go to" recipe for potlucks.

IF you have them where you can easily cut and paste, I will take all of them.  I need some great WOW recipes.  I cook quite a bit and make good food but don't really have anything that blows people away.

My friend is "famous" for her "famous" rolls that she would bring to church potlucks.  They were light and fluffy and YUMMY.  Her secret----------take frozen dinner roll dough balls and put them in cupcake tins and let them rise all night long and bake in the morning.  That is it.

IF you have them where you can easily cut and paste, I will take all of them.  I need some great WOW recipes.  I cook quite a bit and make good food but don't really have anything that blows people away.

My friend is "famous" for her "famous" rolls that she would bring to church potlucks.  They were light and fluffy and YUMMY.  Her secret----------take frozen dinner roll dough balls and put them in cupcake tins and let them rise all night long and bake in the morning.  That is it.

If you cook quite a bit and make good food, then I bet you DO have WOW recipes, you just aren't thinking of what they are right at this moment. :-)

The comment about the rolls makes me lol! For family gatherings I was always the one to bring scalloped potatoes. Got rave reviews each time. One year one of my sisters-in-law asked me how I make them and if I'd be willing to share my recipe. I told her that, of course, I'd be glad to share how I made them. I proceeded to tell her that I use boxed scalloped potatoes, but add about 4 oz. of cream cheese per box, add extra garlic & minced onions (dried), and sub cream for the milk called for on the box.

They didn't ask me to bring scalloped potatoes again for 3 YEARS! It was just unacceptable in their world that boxed could be better than homemade, so from then on for each holiday someone would bring homemade, greasy, curdled cheese/cream scalloped potatoes. After the three years were up, someone quietly asked me to bring them again for Easter, and no one ever mentioned the issue again. Now I have to bring them every single holiday, so I guess that's a mixed blessing--I get a 'lil tired of bringing the same thing every time. ;-)

The recipes will be in your pm soon, because not only did you give me a recipe, but you also gave me an entertaining story.  :D

I have a banana bread recipe that I begged/borrowed/stole from someone I used to work with when I was fresh out of college.  I swear it is the best banana bread recipe I've had anywhere, and everyone else seems to think so, too.   Same story for the family-heirloom Ginger Snap and Spritz cookie recipes--my MIL was no slouch as a cook and didn't really care for my mom, but she swore by my mom's ginger snap cookie.   Aside from that, I'm not sure I have any Grand Prize recipes, although there are quite a few we really enjoy. 

ETA: my MIL's brisket and brisket sauce recipe is to die for.  You know that Texans thinks that the only way to cook a brisket is to smoke it, right?  My MIL, in spite of living her entire life in TX, did not adhere to that line of thinking, and I took her recipe one better.  I hate fatty brisket, so I only make it with the flat cut.  People routinely tell me it's the best brisket they've ever had.  (Duh!)

Not sure the following are world class like the above, but they're very good!

1) A Mexican shredded chicken recipe that is quite delicious in a deep-fried basket or on a tostada shell.  I've served it for years to the church youth group with corn chips or tortillas--their choice.  They almost always manage to make it disappear, and that in spite of making puh-lenty!  2) How about teriyaki on the grill--we do pork loin strips in a grill basket, and I'll never go back to bamboo skewers again.

Interested in any of the above?  Will happily trade for your pot pie recipe and pb/choc desserts, and anything else you are willing to part with.  (I'll even promise not to out your recipes when you have your own place.   ; )

I have one that people always ask me to bring to gatherings, but I don't consider it a WOW recipe, mostly because it is so simple.  Ds9 made up a name for it years go - Yummy Tummy because it was yummy in his tummy.  I think he was 3, lol.

A friend of mine has an amazing cheeseball recipe, but she won't share it, the heartless wench!  She says this way we have to invite her to all the parties.  :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, I would love to have your pot pie recipe.  I have experimented with several over the years, and I have a cheesy chicken filling I like, but still nothing I'm really attached to.

This thread is worthless without a link to that pot pie recipe!

Tit for tat, as the saying goes! I'm looking to trade, baby, not give it away for free, lol!

Actually, I'm just kidding.  :D

I'll pm you the link to the pot pie. It's an adaptation of someone else's recipe, and I feel a little bad about posting the whole thing here. Plus, what if I post it here for the world to see, and then nobody agrees with me that it's the best? That'd be embarrassing... :leaving:

Also, Julie, just for you, a food funny.   My FIL was the youngest of three brothers and the last to marry.  My MIL was the youngest of four sisters with quite an age spread between them all.   By the time my MIL Anne had kids and her own kitchen, the other sisters and her sisters-in-law were quite accomplished cooks.  It was enough to give a gal a bit of a complex.  Nevertheless, Anne became quite a good cook, too. 

Now my FIL's older brother married a twin, Annabelle, and naturally Annabelle had a bit of a competitive streak, even though she was as sweet as a peach pie and would rather die than make someone feel bad.  She'd also give you all the food out of her freezer if she knew you were in a pinch, but she never met a recipe she couldn't improve.  Anne would plan and cook for days preparing for Annabelle's family to visit, but invariably Annabelle's conversations would go something like, "That was a delicious pie, and I'll bet it would be even better with a bit of ______."   Although the SIL's loved each other dearly, made fun of each other mercilessly, and rolled laughing at the cousins' antics, the cooking was always a bit of a sore spot for Anne.  

Finally a couple of years before I married into the family, Anne concocted a plan.  Knowing that Annabelle was a sucker for a good praline, Anne pulled out an old, sugar-stained copy of Annabelle's praline recipe and made them.  Sure enough, Annabelle commented, "Hmmm, those were delicious.  I bet they'd be even better with a bit of buttermilk in the recipe."    After that, the comments no longer bothered Anne, and still bemused, she told me the story many years later.

I have a banana bread recipe that I begged/borrowed/stole from someone I used to work with when I was fresh out of college.  I swear it is the best banana bread recipe I've had anywhere, and everyone else seems to think so, too.   Same story for the family-heirloom Ginger Snap and Spritz cookie recipes--my MIL was no slouch as a cook and didn't really care for my mom, but she swore by my mom's ginger snap cookie.   Aside from that, I'm not sure I have any Grand Prize recipes, although there are quite a few we really enjoy. 

ETA: my MIL's brisket and brisket sauce recipe is to die for.  You know that Texans thinks that the only way to cook a brisket is to smoke it, right?  My MIL, in spite of living her entire life in TX, did not adhere to that line of thinking, and I took her recipe one better.  I hate fatty brisket, so I only make it with the flat cut.  People routinely tell me it's the best brisket they've ever had.  (Duh!)

1) A Mexican shredded chicken recipe that is quite delicious in a deep-fried basket or on a tostada shell.  I've served it for years to the church youth group with corn chips or tortillas--their choice.  They almost always manage to make it disappear, and that in spite of making puh-lenty!  2) How about teriyaki on the grill--we do pork loin strips in a grill basket, and I'll never go back to bamboo skewers again.

Interested in any of the above?  Will happily trade for your pot pie recipe and pb/choc desserts, and anything else you are willing to part with.  (I'll even promise not to out your recipes when you have your own place.   ; )

I'd love to have any of those recipes! You can post them here if you're willing to share with everyone, or just pm them to me if you'd prefer to keep them a little more private. Thanks!

(You have recipes pm'ed to you)

I have one that people always ask me to bring to gatherings, but I don't consider it a WOW recipe, mostly because it is so simple.  Ds9 made up a name for it years go - Yummy Tummy because it was yummy in his tummy.  I think he was 3, lol.

Okay, you've piqued my interest. You never said what the recipe *is* though!

The pot pie recipe should be in your pm box.

Not everyone wows over my Batik cake recipe, but it is special and has its fans! I've posted it on here loads of times, so you're welcome to it. :)

Batik Cake

Beat 500g butter with 1 cup of sugar, in a very large pot. Add 10 eggs, one by one. Toss in a tin of condensed milk and a small tin of milo, about 1 1/2 cups. Mix, mix, then mix in three cups of plain flour and a few bottles of Parissiene essence (brown food colouring. Mix everything up, and turn the heat on under it. Stir until it forms a soft dough, then mix in three or four packets worth of choc ripple biscuit crumbs. Press into some suitable mould/s and refrigerate.
Note: This cake weighs two kilos  :D 

Not everyone wows over my Batik cake recipe, but it is special and has its fans! I've posted it on here loads of times, so you're welcome to it. :)

Batik Cake

Beat 500g butter with 1 cup of sugar, in a very large pot. Add 10 eggs, one by one. Toss in a tin of condensed milk and a small tin of milo, about 1 1/2 cups. Mix, mix, then mix in three cups of plain flour and a few bottles of Parissiene essence (brown food colouring. Mix everything up, and turn the heat on under it. Stir until it forms a soft dough, then mix in three or four packets worth of choc ripple biscuit crumbs. Press into some suitable mould/s and refrigerate.

Note: This cake weighs two kilos  :D 

So, Rosie, what's the texture on this like?   Is it like an American cheese cake, a baked pudding?  Pictures of it anywhere?  It'll be fun trying to come up with rough equivalents of the ingredients.  (I haven't had MILO since I was a small child in Venezuela.)

The best banana bread recipe I have ever made comes from the King Arthur Flour cookbook. I love it so much I bought a new book when I lost the first in a move. I had to have that recipe.

I'll see if I can find a link somewhere so I don't have to type it out on the iPad.

This one: http://www.food.com/recipe/banana-bread-king-arthur-224714

I'll share Bow Tie Pasta with Sausage which originally came from Bon Appetit magazine in the late eighties or early nineties. I've shared it with several friends and put it in the church cookbook. I would be very interested in the chocolate/peanut butter dessert!

Bow Ties with Sausage

1 lb Italian sausage

1/2 t. red pepper flakes

1/2 c. diced onion

3 garlic cloves, minced

28 oz can chopped tomatoes

1 1/2 c. whipping cream (I use 1 cup)

1/2 tsp. salt

12 oz bow tie pasta

3 Tbs. parsley (opional--I omit)

Parmesan

Crumble sausage and brown with pepper flakes, onion, and garlic. Drain off fat. Add tomatoes, cream, and salt. Simmer until mixture thickens slightly, about 4 minutes. Add cooked pasta and heat through, about 2 minutes. Top with grated parmesan when serving.

I have a chocolate cookie recipe that people love, especially dds' friends. The original recipe call for molasses and regular chocolate chips, but the night I made them I had no molasses and only Andes mints on hand. I've never tried the original recipe since everyone loves the tweaked version. I also freeze them after everyone has their fill of the warm ones. I'm not sure which they like best but they go fast. The original recipe is from Family Feasts for $75 a Week.

Choco-Choco-Chip Cookies

1 c butter, softened at room temperature
1 tbsp molasses (I don't use)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/3 c water
Ă‚Â¾ c sugar
Ă‚Â¾ c brown sugar
2 Ă‚Â½ c flour
Ă‚Â½ c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
Ă‚Â½ tsp baking soda
Ă‚Â½ tsp salt
2 c semisweet chocolate chips (I use mint chocolate chips or crushed up Andes)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl, cream together butter, molasses, vanilla, and water.  Add sugars and mix well.

In a medium sized bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add flour mixture to sugar mixture and stir well to combine.  Stir in chocolate chips until well mixed.

Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake until edges are firm but centers are still soft, about 8 minutes. 

Store in tightly covered container at room temperature for 3-4 days.  They actually freeze really well and that's how most here like them best.

ETA: I'd really love the pot pie recipe!

So, Rosie, what's the texture on this like? Is it like an American cheese cake, a baked pudding? Pictures of it anywhere? It'll be fun trying to come up with rough equivalents of the ingredients. (I haven't had MILO since I was a small child in Venezuela.)

I wonder if MILO is like Ovaltine.

Ginger Snaps (Makes about 75 cookies.)   (Mim Peterson's original recipe, ca. 1952 +/-)

3/4 c, butter, softened
3/4 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c. molasses
4 c. flour
2 tsp. each soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger
1 tsp. salt

Additional sugar in a bowl.

Chill dough; roll by hand into ~ 7/8 inch balls, then roll each ball in granulated sugar before baking. Bake at 375 degrees for 7 minutes.

Tips: 1) If you are meticulous about the rounded shape of the balls, the cookies are better (imho) because they are uniformly chewy if you bake them to just right doneness. My MIL had no patience for rolling out the balls "just so", indeed, she found my compulsion very amusing. :) YMMV.

2) Do not overbake these if you want chewy cookies. If overbaked, they will be hard on the bottom, and crunchy, so you can control whether you like them crunchy or chewy. Around our house, burned choc chip cookies are tolerated, but crunchy ginger snaps are very much frowned upon! : )

Here is the link to the spruta / spritz cookie recipe with a complete tutorial for beginners. 

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/228886-best-ever-cookie-press-cookie-recipe/?hl=%2Bspruta

So, Rosie, what's the texture on this like?   Is it like an American cheese cake, a baked pudding?  Pictures of it anywhere?  It'll be fun trying to come up with rough equivalents of the ingredients.  (I haven't had MILO since I was a small child in Venezuela.)

I have just consulted my brother on this very important question, and we both agree it ought to be the consistency of an unbaked house brick. Or, if you think it more appetising, he suggests a chocolate mud cake with cement mixed in. He would like to assure you that it is really is very tasty. :D

Oh, you're in Texas! If you ever try deep frying it, let us know! :p

Milo is more like Ovaltine than Quick. We think you could get away with substituting Ovaltine.

I don't often invite people over and when we do we serve homemade pizza, but I don't really have a recipe since I've made the crust with about 4 different recipes and just use whatever I find first.  I have one pizza sauce brand that I prefer and I think it makes the pizza (if I have to use pizza sauce that is, I much prefer BBQ) and toppings and seasonings are whatever I have on hand.  People ohh and ahh and it's expected that we will serve pizza when we have guests over.  I think it's the novelty of homemade pizza more than any recipe, most of my friends don't cook.

My homemade bread is always sought out at bake sales but if you don't have a grain mill it doesn't really do you any good because fresh ground wheat is really the key.

Also my mint chocolate chip cookies, monster cookies and apple pie bars are always a hit.  One man at my church adores the oreo cream pie I make (which confuses me because it's jello cheesecake pudding, whipped cream and crushed oreos on a choclate graham crust).

But none of those are recipes that would make me cry to lose.  I think the only recipe I would be truly devestated to lose would be my recipe for homemade canned salsa - I've never had a better tasting salsa (but like you I know where to get it)

I do have a teriyaki chicken recipe my family adores but I've never served it to anyone else but since that's a modified recipe, I would be sad to lose that one too.

At family gatherings, I am always asked to make the gravy.  LOL  It is super simple but has a bit more flavor that most people are used to. 

All I do it saute about half of a sweet onion in the skillet in a swirl of olive oil until carmalized. Then I add some form of broth into the same skillet with the onions still in it.  I scrape the pan to pick up the bits on the bottom.  After about 2-3 minutes of simmering the broth and onion, I take it off the heat and pour it over a metal strainer, and put just the broth back in the pan without the onions. I use turkey drippings, canned broth, or what ever I have to work with.  Then I use a bit of cold water (or cold broth if I remembered to save a bit) and use cornstarch to thicken it.  If it was canned broth, I put a smidge of Italian seasoning in the broth and season as normal with salt and pepper.  

The caramelized onions take an extra 3 or 4 minutes but  turn a simple meat broth into a great gravy that has a depth of flavor.  

What fun! I would LOVE the pot pie and the peanut butter chocolate recipes! I couldn't live without many recipes, but two are ones I always get requests for. The Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake is a doozy to make (the first time I made it I had to make the caramel three times!) but SO worth it. The frosting alone is pure heaven. Apparently I can't link anything so I will have to pm it to you if I can figure out how. The Salsa Verde was given to me by a friend and is the only salsa I want anymore. Here it is:

14 tomatillos, husked and washed

1 medium white onion, cut into quarters

2 or more serranos or jalapenos, washed and stemmed (adjust to your preference)

a good big handful of cilantro, washed

one big or two small ripe avocados

salt

Put the tomatillos, onion and chiles in a pot and cover with cold water to cover. Bring it to a boil and cook on a simmer for about 30 minutes (until tomatillos are really soft). Remove from heat and drain the water, BUT, save about a cup or so of the cooking water.

Put the tomatillos, etc. into a blender or food processor. Puree them until thereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s no big chunks. Let the mixture cool a bit Ă¢â‚¬â€œ if you put the cilantro in when itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s piping hot it will cook the cilantro and render it muy yucky. Once itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s cool enough to stick your finger in without flinching, add the cilantro, along with the pitted and peeled avocado(s). Blend. Add salt to taste. If it seems too thick, add some of the cooking water until you like it. Enjoy!

Thanks, Julie!

Honestly, I don't make hardly anything from a recipe anymore, except for the dinner rolls dough that I make in my bread machine. Everything else is more of "hmmm, I'll use some of this and some of that; oh, I guess I don't have (one of the usual ingredients), what can I substitute?"

People always love when I bring cheesecake. I base it off of this recipe on allrecipes:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/white-chocolate-raspberry-cheesecake/detail.aspx

It's so good! I use blueberries instead of raspberries because my mom hates raspberries. I use a mix of crumbled vanilla wafers, butter, and sugar to make the crust in the same ratio as the recipe's crust. I usually quadruple the crust because I like it thick. Many people tell me that the crust is the best part. I also double the blueberry sauce. When I bake it, I don't use a water bath because I'm kind of clutzy and I'm afraid I'd spill it, but I turn the oven off when the timer goes off and just crack the door and leave it for several hours, or until completely cooled. Sometimes it still cracks but it usually doesn't and it doesn't affect the taste. It takes a while to make but it's not hard. I tried it with raspberries once and I thought it wasn't nearly as good.

My taco roll ups are always a potluck hit and teens ask me over and over to bring them but they aren't a WOW recipe.  They are just a simple food.

Mix

1 8 oz cream cheese

1 can refried beans

Spread on flour tortilla.  Sprinkle with finely shredded cheese.  Roll up.  Cut into thirds or 1 inch pinwheels.  Serve with salsa if desired.

They are just super simple, can be made up ahead of time, and transport well so this is often my "go to" recipe for potlucks.

Ooh, something new to try for the next teen gathering! Which doesn't require cooking, awesome, thanks.

I'll share Bow Tie Pasta with Sausage which originally came from Bon Appetit magazine in the late eighties or early nineties. I've shared it with several friends and put it in the church cookbook. I would be very interested in the chocolate/peanut butter dessert!

Bow Ties with Sausage

1 lb Italian sausage

1/2 t. red pepper flakes

1/2 c. diced onion

3 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 tsp. salt

12 oz bow tie pasta

Parmesan

Crumble sausage and brown with pepper flakes, onion, and garlic. Drain off fat. Add tomatoes, cream, and salt. Simmer until mixture thickens slightly, about 4 minutes. Add cooked pasta and heat through, about 2 minutes. Top with grated parmesan when serving.

This looks so good. It almost reminds me of a vodka sauce... Just needs vodka!

Great idea, Julie! :thumbup:

Gosh, I just started a blog for my family, friends and parents of students -- I just shared a really tasty Broccoli Slaw that my son LOVES.  We make it without the chicken as per our low protein diet.  Just had it for dinner tonight and it was so yummy, I had to post it on my new blog.  Y'all are welcome to visit it too! 

Crunchy Chicken Salad

But... that is not my recipe that gets RAVES.

Here is a classic from El Paso that gets raves from everyone (for years), but I cannot take the credit as the recipe is on the side of the label!! ;)  Listed below is my oldie but goodie version... sorry I did not list actual measurements.  I pretty much "eyeball" it after making it for my family and friends for so many years.  Son and I love this recipe for special celebrations or potlucks. (Naughty high protein meal!!!) Enjoy!

Green Chile Enchiladas

1-2 cups diced (cooked) chicken (I like using leftovers or a rotisserie chicken from the deli)

1 small can of diced green chiles (I like HATCH chiles)

diced garlic (I usually use 1/2 TBsp)

diced onions (about 1/2 cup)

1/4 cup water

oil (about 1-2 TBsp)

ground cumin (I like it freshly ground in a molcajete & then use about 1/2 tsp... but it is strong, so use sparingly)

salt & pepper (to taste - optional)

1 pkg of Philadelphia Cream Cheese (I'm a snob... don't use the fat-free cr@p.)

corn tortillas

1 pkg of shredded monterey jack cheese (Sometimes I like to use Queso Aserdero with the Jack Cheese)

diced green onions

sliced black olives

2 small cans of El Paso GREEN chile enchilada sauce (I usually like to use 1 giant can...)

Cilantro, diced finely (OPTIONAL)

1)  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9x11 baking dish and 8x8 baking dish with PAM.  Put a small amount of Green enchilada sauce (1/4 cup) in each pan and make sure the bottom is evenly coated with the sauce. Set baking dishes aside for later use.

2)  In a large skillet over medium heat, add oil, onions, salt, pepper, chiles, cumin and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir onions to prevent burning.  Add chicken and heat through.  If needed, add 1/8 cup water to prevent chicken from losing moisture. Add garlic and let mixture heat for an additional 2 minutes.  Finally, add cream cheese (cut up in small chunks) to the cooked chicken mix and stir occassionally for 1-2 minutes -- and set heat on low.  Add remaining water if needed should mixture is too thick or to your preference.  (I only use the water sparingly...)  Turn heat off. 

3)  Meanwhile, using another smaller skillet, heat the corn tortillas to your preference.  Some folks like to microwave, heat them on a hot skillet or just layer the tortillas like lasagna in the baking dish. Me?  I like to heat my tortillas the way my mom and grandma did it... by lightly frying the tortillas in hot oil until just (gently) tender.  DO NOT OVERFRY the tortillas! Place the fried tortillas on a paper towel on a dish and set aside until ready to make the enchiladas.  I usually fry up about 20-24 tortillas based on this recipe, but it depends on how "stuffed" you make your enchiladas.  You can fry them one by one too and stuff them -- once you have made this dish, you'll get a better idea of how many tortillas to use up. 

4)  Now with the chicken mixture, tortillas, shredded cheese, green onions, and olives... you are ready to ASSEMBLE. I take the tortilla one at a time -- lay it down in the baking dish to "sop up" some of the sauce.  I add 2 TBsp of chicken mixture, shredded cheese and green onions -- then wrap it and place it in that same dish.  Add a teeny bit more sauce to the bottom if you use it up during assembly. Rule of thumb is making sure the tortilla gets sauce. I make a line of enchiladas and you'll have about 2 rows of enchiladas when done.

5)  Once both dishes are assembled, you may have some extra mixture.  I like to dab it on top of both dishes in even amounts.  Use a spoon to spread it evenly around.  Add remaining shredded cheese.  Pour the remaining enchilada sauce evenly in both dishes (9x11 dish will use more...) and top your dish with olives & cilantro.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or longer if desired.  Serve with black beans, tortilla chips, rice or salad.

Cowboy cookies....I get rave reviews every time I take these anywhere. I grind my own whole wheat flour which I use in place of all purpose and always use butter. And don't over bake... You really have to pay attention the last couple minutes. (I'd like the pot pie and peanut butter dessert recipe.)

Oh and by the way I have used these cookies to make ice cream sandwiches which also get accolades.

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 tablespoon baking soda

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon salt

1-1/2 cups butter (at room temperature)

1-1/2 cups granulated sugar

1-1/2 cups packed light-brown sugar

3 large eggs

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

3 cups semisweet chocolate chips

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

2 cups sweetened flake coconut

2 cups chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in bowl. In 8-quart bowl, beat butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, 1 minute. Gradually beat in sugars; beat to combine, 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each. Beat in vanilla extract. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Add chocolate chips, oats, coconut and pecans. For each cookie, drop 1/4 cup dough onto ungreased baking sheets, spacing 3 inches apart. Bake for 17 to 19 minutes, until edges are lightly browned; rotate sheets halfway through. Remove cookies from rack to cool. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

NOTE: For 6 dozen (72) smaller cookies, use 2 tablespoons dough for each. Bake at 350 F for 15 to 18 minutes.

A friend of mine has an amazing cheeseball recipe, but she won't share it, the heartless wench!  She says this way we have to invite her to all the parties.  :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, I would love to have your pot pie recipe.  I have experimented with several over the years, and I have a cheesy chicken filling I like, but still nothing I'm really attached to.

I loathe cheese balls, but my family started making one about 7 years ago that I LOVE and we make it several time each holiday season. We all love it!

Bow Ties with Sausage

1 lb Italian sausage

1/2 t. red pepper flakes

1/2 c. diced onion

3 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 tsp. salt

12 oz bow tie pasta

Parmesan

I think my dh is going to really love this! Thank you!

Mix

1 8 oz cream cheese

1 can refried beans

YUM! This looks great! SImple. We do a potluck thing every sunday during football season. This will be a great addition. Thanks!

I don't reall have any WOW recipes. I make a great homemade spaghetti sauce and I make great chicken tacos or enchiladas, but there's nothing original about those. This is the taco seasoning recipe that I use:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Taco-Seasoning-I/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=taco%20seasoning&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

OK, I know this is super simple but if you like garlic you will love this.

8 oz. cream cheese

Generous amount of powdered garlic

Grated Parmesan Cheese- I usually use 1/2 a pkg

Drained and chopped can of artichokes

Mix together. No heating needed. Spread on french bread or great with veggies. It's super yummy. We make it really garlicy. My bff makes it all the time and I camp out next to the bowl when she brings it. ;)

I would love your brisket and brisket sauce recipe, and your ginger snap and spritz cookie recipe- I LOVE spritz cookies and really love my recipe that I've tweaked but you sure sound convincing on how amazing those cookies are! :)

What fun! I would LOVE the pot pie and the peanut butter chocolate recipes! I couldn't live without many recipes, but two are ones I always get requests for. The Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake is a doozy to make (the first time I made it I had to make the caramel three times!) but SO worth it. The frosting alone is pure heaven. Apparently I can't link anything so I will have to pm it to you if I can figure out how. The Salsa Verde was given to me by a friend and is the only salsa I want anymore. Here it is:

14 tomatillos, husked and washed

1 medium white onion, cut into quarters

2 or more serranos or jalapenos, washed and stemmed (adjust to your preference)

a good big handful of cilantro, washed

one big or two small ripe avocados

salt

Put the tomatillos, onion and chiles in a pot and cover with cold water to cover. Bring it to a boil and cook on a simmer for about 30 minutes (until tomatillos are really soft). Remove from heat and drain the water, BUT, save about a cup or so of the cooking water.

Put the tomatillos, etc. into a blender or food processor. Puree them until thereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s no big chunks. Let the mixture cool a bit Ă¢â‚¬â€œ if you put the cilantro in when itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s piping hot it will cook the cilantro and render it muy yucky. Once itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s cool enough to stick your finger in without flinching, add the cilantro, along with the pitted and peeled avocado(s). Blend. Add salt to taste. If it seems too thick, add some of the cooking water until you like it. Enjoy!

Thanks, Julie!

I would like the salted caramel chocolate cake recipe!

OHHHHH... I JUST remembered that I make a great cheesy potato soup that everyone always raves about, chicken n' dumplins that my dh says are the best he's ever had, and a killer roast. I guess my mind was set on "summer" foods. lol I will look up the recipes when I'm not at work. They're printed out.

I would love your chicken pot pie recipe. That being said, I can only ask for it if you don't mind it being veganized. If it can't be modified, I do understand. In return, I offer two self-developed recipes, which are amazing when put together for a fall meal. 

Seitan is a vegetarian alternative to meat. My carnivore hubby loves this meal, as does my crazy extended family. 

Beer Bread

1 12-oz bottle of beer (I use Pacifico)

3 c. flour (part white, and part wheat)

1.5 T baking powder

1.5 t salt

0.5 c. sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. in a medium-large bowl. Stir in beer until just mixed -- don't overmix. Oil a bread pan thoroughly. Drop in dough and shape so it is pretty-ish. Bake for about 50 minutes.

Seitan Stew with Veggies (Serves about 6)

1/2 white onion (large dice)

4 oz sliced button mushrooms

3 medium potatoes (washed and cubed)

1 c. carrots (washed and cubed)

3 c. seitan (I use this recipe: http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15959, cubed into bite-sized pieces. For the seitan, you can also use the packaged stuff, it's just horribly expensive.) 

4 c. vegetable broth

3 oz tomato paste

2 t dried thyme

2 t dried basil

2 t Mrs. Dash original

1 t salt

1/4 t pepper

2 T margarine or butter

Heat soup pan over medium heat, add 1 T olive oil. Add onion and mushrooms. Cover and let cook for 3-4 minutes. Add potatoes and carrots, then add vegetable broth. Cover and let cook for about 10 minutes, stirring periodically. Add tomato paste and seitan. Stir, then add thyme, basil, Mrs. Dash and salt. Cook 7 additional minutes. Taste and fix any seasoning issues. If the broth has boiled off significantly, add an additional cup or so of broth. Add margarine and stir gently one last time. Serve with beer bread. 

I would love your chicken pot pie recipe. That being said, I can only ask for it if you don't mind it being veganized. If it can't be modified, I do understand. In return, I offer two self-developed recipes, which are amazing when put together for a fall meal. 

Seitan is a vegetarian alternative to meat. My carnivore hubby loves this meal, as does my crazy extended family. 

Beer Bread

1 12-oz bottle of beer (I use Pacifico)

3 c. flour (part white, and part wheat)

1.5 T baking powder

1.5 t salt

0.5 c. sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. in a medium-large bowl. Stir in beer until just mixed -- don't overmix. Oil a bread pan thoroughly. Drop in dough and shape so it is pretty-ish. Bake for about 50 minutes.

Seitan Stew with Veggies (Serves about 6)

1/2 white onion (large dice)

4 oz sliced button mushrooms

3 medium potatoes (washed and cubed)

1 c. carrots (washed and cubed)

3 c. seitan (I use this recipe: http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15959, cubed into bite-sized pieces. For the seitan, you can also use the packaged stuff, it's just horribly expensive.) 

4 c. vegetable broth

3 oz tomato paste

2 t dried thyme

2 t dried basil

2 t Mrs. Dash original

1 t salt

1/4 t pepper

2 T margarine or butter

Heat soup pan over medium heat, add 1 T olive oil. Add onion and mushrooms. Cover and let cook for 3-4 minutes. Add potatoes and carrots, then add vegetable broth. Cover and let cook for about 10 minutes, stirring periodically. Add tomato paste and seitan. Stir, then add thyme, basil, Mrs. Dash and salt. Cook 7 additional minutes. Taste and fix any seasoning issues. If the broth has boiled off significantly, add an additional cup or so of broth. Add margarine and stir gently one last time. Serve with beer bread. 

Son and I have to be on a low protein diet due to our rare liver disease... I so appreciate your sharing vegetarian recipes!!! Yay!! :hurray:

Rosie-- You have succeeded in making me want to try MILO. :lol: DS will love it! Now to find it.......

Batik Cake[/size]

Beat 500g butter with 1 cup of sugar, in a very large pot. Add 10 eggs, one by one. Toss in a tin of condensed milk and a small tin of [/size]milo, about 1 1/2 cups. Mix, mix, then mix in three cups of plain flour and a few bottles of Parissiene essence (brown food colouring. Mix everything up, and turn the heat on under it. Stir until it forms a soft dough, then mix in three or four packets worth of [/size]choc ripple biscuit crumbs. Press into some suitable mould/s and refrigerate.[/size]

Note: This cake weighs two kilos [/size] :D[/size] [/size]

I will try and post some favorites here later. Everyone is asleep still and my rooting around will wake them up. I have a Sour Cream Coffee Cake people rave about. When I lived in the US I made it all the time, it was my no fail recipe. You name it I substituted it and stlli got a really good cake--margerine for butter, all types of sour cream. I shared the recipe with a good friend who could not get it to work quite right. We could not figure out what she was doing wrong! Then I move over here and I can't get the cake to work. Oh I get a cake just not a great cake. My family doesn't request it anymore! :lol: