Menu

Do you have a recipe that is just SO good, and SO much better than any other that you'd cry if you lost it?

Julie in CA

I would like the salted caramel chocolate cake recipe!

I hope this works . . . it is long! There are three components. Be super careful with the caramel - it increases in heat very quickly at that temp!

Salted Caramel

Makes enough for two to three 8-inch 3-layer cake

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1 cup sugar

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 2 tablespoons light corn syrup

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1/2 cup heavy cream

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1 teaspoon fleur de sel

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1/4 cup sour cream

Directions

1. Combine 1/4 cup water, sugar, and corn syrup in a medium saucepan; stir to combine. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until the mixture reaches 350 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in another small saucepan, mix together cream and salt. Bring cream to a boil and cook until salt has dissolved, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

3. When the caramel mixture has reached 350 degrees, remove from heat and allow to cool for 1 minute. Carefully add the hot cream to the caramel; stir to combine. Whisk in sour cream. Cool, and store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to 3 days.

Whipped Caramel Ganache Icing

Makes enough for one 8-inch 3-layer cake

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1 pound dark chocolate, chopped

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1 cup sugar

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 2 tablespoons light corn syrup

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1 1/2 cups heavy cream

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1 pound (4 sticks) butter, cut into tablespoon-sized pieces, softened but still cool

Directions

1. Combine 1/4 cup water, sugar, and corn syrup in a medium saucepan; stir to combine. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until the mixture reaches 350 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 10 minutes.

2. In another small saucepan add cream and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside.

3. When the caramel mixture has reached 350 degrees, remove from heat and allow to rest for 1 minute. Add the hot cream to the caramel; stir to combine. Let cool 5 minutes. Place chocolate in the bowl of an electric mixer and pour caramel sauce over chocolate. Let sit 1 minute before stirring from the center until chocolate is melted.

4. Attach bowl to electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix on low until the bowl feels cool to the touch. Add butter and increase speed to medium-high until mixture is well combined, thickened, and slightly whipped, about 2 minutes.

Sweet & Salty Cake

Ingredients

Makes one 8-inch 3-layer cake

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 3/4 cup cocoa powder

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 2/3 cup sour cream

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 2 2/3 cups cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 2 teaspoons baking powder

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1 teaspoon baking soda

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1/2 teaspoon salt

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pans

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1/2 cup vegetable shortening

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1 cup dark brown sugar

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 3 large eggs

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1 tablespoon pure vanilla

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1/2 cup Caramel with Salt

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Whipped Caramel Ganache Icing

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Fleur de sel, for garnish

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter three 8-by-2-inch round cake pans. Line each pan with a parchment paper round, butter parchment paper and flour; set aside.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together cocoa, 1 1/4 cups hot water, and sour cream; set aside to cool, about 10 minutes.

3. In another large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

4. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and shortening together until smooth and it appears to create strings inside the bowl, about 7 minutes. Add both sugars and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 7 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until well incorporated. Add vanilla, scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, and mix again for 30 seconds. Add flour mixture alternating with cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.

5. Divide batter evenly among the three prepared pans. Bake until cake is just firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 18 to 24 minutes. Let cool completely.

6. Using a serrated knife, trim tops of cakes to make level. Place four strips of parchment paper around perimeter of a serving plate or lazy Susan. Place the first layer on the cake plate. Using about 1/4 cup of the caramel, spread a thin layer on the cake, allowing some of the caramel to soak into the cake. Follow the caramel layer with a layer of about 1 cup of the ganache icing. Place the second layer on top and repeat process with another layer of caramel followed by a layer of ganache icing. Place the remaining layer on top of the second layer bottom side up. Spread entire cake with remaining ganache icing. Sprinkle with fleur de sel.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love the chicken pot pie and PB dessert recipes!

I make this every thanksgiving:

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie

filling

1 envelope unflavored gelatin (1 T)

2/3 c brown sugar (packed)

Ă‚Â½ t salt

1 t cinnamon

Ă‚Â½ t nutmeg

Ă‚Â½ t ginger

1 Ă‚Â¼ c canned plain pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)

3 egg yolks (reserve whites)

Ă‚Â½ c milk

meringue

3 egg whites

Ă‚Â½ c sugar

Blend filling ingredients thoroughly in saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it boils. Remove from heat. Place pan in cold water. Cool until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon.

For meringue, in separate bowl, beat egg whites until frothy, gradually beat in sugar. Continue beating until stiff and glossy. Do not underbeat. Beat until sugar is dissolved. Carefully fold meringue into pumpkin mixture.

Pour into cooled crust and chill until set (about 2 hours). Garnish with whipped cream.

I buy a ready made crust because I apparently can't make a crust to save my life. But this comes with the recipe:

Gingersnap Crust

Blend thoroughly in pie pan:

1 Ă‚Â½ c gingersnap crumbs

1/3 c butter or margarine, melted

Press mixture firmly in an even layer against the bottom and sides of 9" pie pan. Bake in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Cool, then fill with pie filling.

And I make this pumpkin bread which I believe I got from All Recipes but I have tweaked it slightly (the sugar and the loaf size):

Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread

1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree

4 eggs

1 cup vegetable oil

2/3 cup water

1 cup white sugar

2 cups brown sugar

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans.

In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.

Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

**I make mine in two bigger loaf pans so they bake for about 65 minutes instead. I start testing them at 60, until a toothpick comes out clean.

Overnight Potato Refrigerator Roll Dough from the OLD Betty Crocker cookbook!  This version calls for butter but the old one uses shortening. I bring these to every holiday meal.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/make-ahead-potato-bread-dough/62a1773f-638e-4903-8742-c6746f0a90d0

I'd played around with David Lebowitz's blondie recipe until I thought it was perfect. I did lose that version and had to mess around with it again as the girls at my daughter's lunch table kept requesting them.  His lemon glazed madeline recipe (on his site) is quite nice too, although I wouldn't be tearing up the house if I lost it.

I once tracked down a church lady at a funeral luncheon for her chicken soup/chicken and noodles recipe. There are no complicated or unusual ingredients but it was just so perfect in that homemade chicken soup way.

This roast chicken is probably our best dish.  I often make it with olive oil rather than butter though.  And I make lemony roast potatoes to go with it.  I usually roast two chickens at once so that we have lots of leftovers.

L

Laura, please, oh, please, could you post your lemony roast potatoes recipe?  That sounds mah-ve-lous!  TIA!

Laura, please, oh, please, could you post your lemony roast potatoes recipe?  That sounds mah-ve-lous!  TIA!

Basically it just builds on the chicken recipe.  

Cut floury-type (not waxy) potatoes into  quarters (if large) or halves (if small).  Put them into boiling water and boil for around five or ten minutes (timing not crucial, but don't cook them through).  Drain the potatoes and put them back in the pan.  Put the lid back on and shake the pan vigorously so that the potatoes bang against the sides.  When you open the lid, the potato edges should look a bit 'distressed' (so that you get more crispy bits when they roast).

Put into a flat baking dish in one layer.  Squeeze over lemon juice to taste plus a gloop of olive oil and some smashed garlic.  Add salt and pepper.  Stir well.  Roast with the chickens.  Turn once or twice during cooking so that they brown all over.  If they look at bit dry when they are cooking, scoop some juice from the roasting chicken over them.

L

Oh, I love this thread!  I only have three recipes that have the WOW factor.  The first one is Mrs. Mungo's baked oatmeal; I will have to let her share the recipe since she deserves the credit.  I once made it for a band that was staying over at our house after their show (my husband and the lead singer are good friends) and they raved about it...the next time they were in town playing a concert at our church, the lead singer mentioned that this was his favorite town ever to play in, because that meant he got to eat some of my good cooking!

My second recipe is this one.  I make it when I want to impress guests, and it has never failed me.

My third recipe has a funny story to go along with it.  I once entered a dessert contest at a church.  I made two desserts, one fancy one that took hours to prepare, and a pan of brownies because I wanted to be sure there would be enough dessert to go around - it was a very large crowd.  I entered the fancy one in the contest, and set the brownies down elsewhere.  Imagine my surprise when the brownies took first place!  I couldn't stop laughing, though, and tried to give the award back - you will see why.  This is the recipe for my prize-winning brownies: buy one box of brownie mix (the red box, 9x13 size), follow the directions on the box to prepare them; throw in a handful of chocolate chips, and bake as directed on the box.

I PMed my recipes to a few people in hope of exchange. Here I will just post it!

This is a big hit with both adults and kids. It is so healthy and yummy! Everyone has second or third helpings.

Please PM or post here the banana bread recipe, the chicken pot pie recipe, and the peanut butter dessert recipe. Thank you!

Zesty Quinoa Salad

Cut lime juice and salt to half of the listed amount and it will be perfect.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/zesty-quinoa-salad/

Ok, I'll play. This recipe is on my mind because DS's birthday was yesterday. Forget about their cake advice and forget about their ridiculous icing recipe. Use any white cake and white icing you love . . . even a box mix. The FILLING is the gem here. Yes, my kids ask for "cannoli cake" for their birthdays.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/lovely-cherry-layer-cake

I have just consulted my brother on this very important question, and we both agree it ought to be the consistency of an unbaked house brick. Or, if you think it more appetising, he suggests a chocolate mud cake with cement mixed in. He would like to assure you that it is really is very tasty. :D

Oh, you're in Texas! If you ever try deep frying it, let us know! :p

Milo is more like Ovaltine than Quick. We think you could get away with substituting Ovaltine.

: )   

I hate to break the stereotype, but the only thing we deep fry is the very occasional butterflied, cracker-crumbed shrimp and homemade onion rings, but it is labor intensive...not a very frequent item on the menu.  (Outback Steakhouse consulted with us on their signature menu.                                  Not really.  )     Seriously, the Batik cake sounds too good to be deep-fried, although you never know.

How did it get that name?

More stories:  my MIL's family has a recipe (which I will not burden anyone with) that they called "broom-sweep."  It was a creamed butter/sugar/cream/vanilla concoction, chilled in a graham-cracker crumb crust, with some of the crust crumbled over the top with minced pecans.   I didn't like it, because you could feel/taste the butter on your palate---ick.  Apparently my great-grand-dad-in-law walked through the kitchen one day while someone was adding the topping and said, "What are you feeding us? Broom-sweep?"  It was known by that name until I let the recipe die. And at least one generation will thank me.

One more story:  my MIL didn't care for my parents, although she was wise enough to feign that she liked me.  ; )  Fortunately, geography was kind and they rarely had to meet.

For years, on my side of the family, my mom was asked to bring the rolls anytime there was a church potluck or family meal, because her refrigerator crescent rolls really were all that and more.  On my husband's side of the family, his grandma's rolls were considered the best thing anyone ever tasted, but she never wrote the recipe down.  Finally one year shortly before she passed (at about the time I married into the family) she showed my MIL how to make them, and MIL considered it a great coup that she got Mimi's roll recipe, because she had invested the time with her mom.  (To my knowledge, she never shared the recipe with her sisters.)  Years later I compared the recipe to my mom's recipe and the ingredients and proportions and baking instruction were precisely, exactly the same.  I brought my mom's rolls to dh's family gatherings couple of times and they were well-received, but I knew better than to compare the recipes side by side to my MIL--it might have ended her act.    : )

Basically it just builds on the chicken recipe.  

Cut floury-type (not waxy) potatoes into  quarters (if large) or halves (if small).  Put them into boiling water and boil for around five or ten minutes (timing not crucial, but don't cook them through).  Drain the potatoes and put them back in the pan.  Put the lid back on and shake the pan vigorously so that the potatoes bang against the sides.  When you open the lid, the potato edges should look a bit 'distressed' (so that you get more crispy bits when they roast).

Put into a flat baking dish in one layer.  Squeeze over lemon juice to taste plus a gloop of olive oil and some smashed garlic.  Add salt and pepper.  Stir well.  Roast with the chickens.  Turn once or twice during cooking so that they brown all over.  If they look at bit dry when they are cooking, scoop some juice from the roasting chicken over them.

L

Thank you!

Apple pie bars?? That sounds like it's gotta be good. Recipe please?

Is the salsa recipe readily available? Thanks.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/danish-pastry-apple-bars-ii/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=danish+apple+pie+bars&e8=Quick+Search&event10=1&e7=Home+Page

Here's the changes I make to the recipe

I don't use cornflakes, I mix about 1/4 cup flour with the cinnamon and sugar before sprinkling it over the apples. I do vary the amount of flour depending on the type of apples I'm using, some have more liquid and some less.

Instead of 1 cup butter I use 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening.

Egg yolk plus enough water to = 2/3 cup (so slightly less than 2/3 cup of water called for in the recipe)

I make a double a batch because I make it in a jelly roll pan. They take me about an hour of hands on time to make. I don't find them difficult but peeling all the apples is time consuming. I don't have an apple peeler as I prefer to use softer apples since they have more natural sweetness and those don't work well in an apple peeler. If you use firmer apples you could run them through an apple peeler and save yourself time.

Cortland is my preferred apple variety. Macintosh works well but will need a little more flour (maybe a TBSP). Others work too but those are ones that I like the flavor of best.

Here's the salsa recipe.  I've linked the version that includes acceptable changes.  This is a tested/approved canning recipe.  If you are planning on canning it you must stick to these guidelines to maintain the proper PH.  Of course if you are using it fresh/frozen you can change to your heart's desire. 

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0714362724598.html

People name-dropping their recipes are cruel, please post them!

Most of my 'I'd cry if I lost this' recipes are things I developed myself. I'd cry because I'm proud of coming up with something distinctly my own that I think is good, not because they're raved about. Recipes in this group would include my oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, my brownies, and my oatmeal applesauce pancakes. Only the cookies elicit occasional raves, although the pancakes have a few fans (they are not the super fluffy kind and I still tweak them occasionally). 

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies 

2c oats

2c flour (can split with wheat but don't make it more than half wheat unless you really like that flavor, 1/4 wheat is almost undetectable)

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1c (2 sticks) unsalted butter

3/4c brown sugar

3/4c white sugar

2 tsp vanilla

1 tsp lemon juice

2 eggs

1/2 bag chocolate chips (semi-sweet or dark)

1c nuts (pecans or walnuts great)--optional

Mix dry together. Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs. Then vanilla and lemon juice. Add dry a little at a time. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts by hand. Chill for an hour. Preheat oven to 350 and bake @16-18m per sheet. 

My most loved dishes: 

sugar cookies (if thick are beautifully sandy in texture/melt in your mouth, if thin deliciously crisp...its like they have a split personality)~got similar recipes from my husband's aunt and a neighbor. Must be a pretty standard recipe. It has cream of tartar in it and uses both powdered and granulated sugar. I was happy to find this one because its just like my great-aunt Ruth's cookies. Whenever I asked her for the recipe she would smile and pretend to be deafer than she actually was. I would be sad to lose this but I would just call dh's aunt and get it again. 

pizza~seriously no big deal, I just bother to make it. Peter Reinhardt's crust recipe (I don't make it rest more than 10-30m), store-bought sauce, high heat (500), silicone mat directly on a pizza stone. We grill pizza too. 

our version of buckeyes~except with ground walnuts and dates chopped fine (you can't taste either in the mix, the dates add a very slight chew and they both add a complexity you don't usually find in buckeyes...I love the protein punch of the peanut butter and walnuts...I just crave these and have to hide them in the outside freezer). I got this recipe from my grandmother. She got it out of the newspaper or off a box or something. She made it once and decided it was too much work. That was enough to infect the rest of my family though. Everyone makes it. 

I'll put a few of my favorites up - please post or pm me the ones you're hiding!

Asian Marinade

1/3 C soy sauce

1/3 C worcestershire sauce

1/3 C olive oil

5 scallions, sliced thin

1 Tbsp sesame seeds

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 Tbsp peeled, grated ginger root

1 tsp. cumin

fresh ground pepper to taste

Mix all and marinate chicken, flank steak, kabobs, etc. - This marinade is always a hit. Always.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rum Cake

preheat oven to 350.

1 yellow cake mix

4 eggs

2/3 C oil

1/8 C water

1/2 C rum

1 C broken pecans

1.Grease and flour a bundt cake pan

2. Put broken pecans in cake pan

3. Mix other ingredients and pour over pecans

4. Bake ~ 50 min.

Just before cake is done, bring to boil: 1 stick butter, 1/2 C rum, 1 C sugar

Remove cake while still warm; spoon mixture over warm cake

Let cake cool.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Seven Grain Biscuits

1/4 C seven grain dried cereal (the kind you get from bulk foods store)

1 egg

4 Tbsp olive oil

1/2 C + a little more buttermilk

1 3/4 C flour

1/4 tsp. baking soda

2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

Put 7-grain cereal in small bowl and put just enough hot water on it to cover it; let it absorb water while measuring other ingredients

Mix egg, oil, and buttermilk

In separate bowl, mix dry ingredients

Stir all ingredients together until just blended

Turn onto floured board and knead lightly just a couple of times

Roll (or press out) about 3/4" thick and cut with biscuit cutter;

Cook @ 400 degrees for 12-15 min or until just turning golden on top

Serve with butter

+++++++++++++++++

Broccoli Salad

1 bunch broccoli

1 C. sunflower seeds

1/2 C raisins

1/2 C bacon, browned

1 C mayo

1/3 C sugar

2 Tbsp. vinegar

1 med red or white onion

Cut broccoli into small pieces, dice onion and bacon. Mix broccoli, sunflower seeds, raisins, bacon. In another bowl, mix mayo, sugar, and vinegar. Combine all and chill.

+++++++++++++

Taco Thing

from Ann Hodgman, One Bite Won't Kill You

(I quadruple this recipe and take it to church for potlucks, it is also our favorite quick dinner on busy nights, goes good with salad)

Spread a large package of cream cheese on bottom of 8x8 pan

open a can of chili (we use Cattle Drive Chili from Costco) and spread over the cream cheese

top with a lot of grated cheddar cheese

Bake until bubbly, serve with tortilla chips

Okay, y'all don't you love it when you start a thread and then return the next day to find that it is FULL of what you asked for?

I'm enjoying the replies so much, and thank all of you who participated!

One thing though, I've lost track of who I've sent recipes to, and who still needs recipes to be sent.

I'm going to post the links to my recipes here, but only for a little while. Because I use some of my recipes for restaurant use, I don't really want to leave them out there in the wind, kwim? Please get them while they're up!

Also, you all can share the pulled pork recipe and the chicken pot pie recipes with whomever you wish, but (this is rare for me), would you mind not sharing the Peanut Butter Chocolate Pie recipe? It's my own, and I really don't want it "out there' until I'm done making money with it, lol!

As for me, I'll be copying/pasting recipes from all of you. Thank you so much!

Chicken Pot Pie: http://www.plantoeat.com/recipes/1360477  This one I adapted from someone else's recipe, so feel free to Google "The Pastry Queen all-sold-out chicken pot pie" if you'd rather see what the original recipe called for. In my opinion, the original recipe is fatally flawed because it has double the flour it needs in the sauce part, and I don't like the red peppers that the original recipe called for, but of course, ymmv!

Peanut Butter Chocolate Pie: http://www.plantoeat.com/recipes/1360566

Pulled Pork: http://www.plantoeat.com/recipes/669430  which I serve with this barbeque sauce: http://www.plantoeat.com/recipes/314637

My family asks for my homemade macaroni salad all the time.  It is so simple and is so much better then store bought.

1 lb macaroni, cooked

1 carrot, grated

1 stalk celery, chopped

1 red pepper, finely chopped

1/2 cup parsley, chopped

2 tbl vinegar

1 tbl olive oil

mayonaisse

salt and pepper to taste

Cook macaroni and let cool.  Whisk together vinegar and oil and mix with macaroni to coat.  Add carrots, celery, and red pepper. add salt and pepper to taste.  Add mayo to taste.  Mix in parsley. Chill for at least 2 hours

: )   

I hate to break the stereotype, but the only thing we deep fry is the very occasional butterflied, cracker-crumbed shrimp and homemade onion rings, but it is labor intensive...not a very frequent item on the menu.  (Outback Steakhouse consulted with us on their signature menu.                                  Not really.  )     Seriously, the Batik cake sounds too good to be deep-fried, although you never know.

How did it get that name?

I had a pen friend from Brunei in high school and she sent me her (or her mum's) Batik cake recipe. I've changed it significantly over several years of tweaking. So, I've no idea why it is called batik cake, it just is!

I'll put a few of my favorites up - please post or pm me the ones you're hiding!

Asian Marinade

1/3 C soy sauce

1/3 C worcestershire sauce

1/3 C olive oil

5 scallions, sliced thin

1 Tbsp sesame seeds

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 Tbsp peeled, grated ginger root

1 tsp. cumin

fresh ground pepper to taste

Mix all and marinate chicken, flank steak, kabobs, etc. - This marinade is always a hit. Always.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rum Cake

preheat oven to 350.

1 yellow cake mix

4 eggs

2/3 C oil

1/8 C water

1/2 C rum

1 C broken pecans

1.Grease and flour a bundt cake pan

2. Put broken pecans in cake pan

3. Mix other ingredients and pour over pecans

4. Bake ~ 50 min.

Just before cake is done, bring to boil: 1 stick butter, 1/2 C rum, 1 C sugar

Remove cake while still warm; spoon mixture over warm cake

Let cake cool.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Seven Grain Biscuits

1/4 C seven grain dried cereal (the kind you get from bulk foods store)

1 egg

4 Tbsp olive oil

1/2 C + a little more buttermilk

1 3/4 C flour

1/4 tsp. baking soda

2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

Put 7-grain cereal in small bowl and put just enough hot water on it to cover it; let it absorb water while measuring other ingredients

Mix egg, oil, and buttermilk

In separate bowl, mix dry ingredients

Stir all ingredients together until just blended

Turn onto floured board and knead lightly just a couple of times

Roll (or press out) about 3/4" thick and cut with biscuit cutter;

Cook @ 400 degrees for 12-15 min or until just turning golden on top

Serve with butter

+++++++++++++++++

Broccoli Salad

1 bunch broccoli

1 C. sunflower seeds

1/2 C raisins

1/2 C bacon, browned

1 C mayo

1/3 C sugar

2 Tbsp. vinegar

1 med red or white onion

Cut broccoli into small pieces, dice onion and bacon. Mix broccoli, sunflower seeds, raisins, bacon. In another bowl, mix mayo, sugar, and vinegar. Combine all and chill.

+++++++++++++

Taco Thing

from Ann Hodgman, One Bite Won't Kill You

(I quadruple this recipe and take it to church for potlucks, it is also our favorite quick dinner on busy nights, goes good with salad)

Spread a large package of cream cheese on bottom of 8x8 pan

open a can of chili (we use Cattle Drive Chili from Costco) and spread over the cream cheese

top with a lot of grated cheddar cheese

Bake until bubbly, serve with tortilla chips

If you want a cold version of taco thing bring a block of cream cheese to room temp in shallow bowl. Pour a can of Rotel tomatoes over the cream cheese. Serve with chips.

Not everyone wows over my Batik cake recipe, but it is special and has its fans! I've posted it on here loads of times, so you're welcome to it. :)

Batik Cake

Beat 500g butter with 1 cup of sugar, in a very large pot. Add 10 eggs, one by one. Toss in a tin of condensed milk and a small tin of milo, about 1 1/2 cups. Mix, mix, then mix in three cups of plain flour and a few bottles of Parissiene essence (brown food colouring. Mix everything up, and turn the heat on under it. Stir until it forms a soft dough, then mix in three or four packets worth of choc ripple biscuit crumbs. Press into some suitable mould/s and refrigerate.

Note: This cake weighs two kilos :D

Rosie, about the milo. If one were to substitute Ovaltine should it be mixed or the dry powder?

I'll share Bow Tie Pasta with Sausage which originally came from Bon Appetit magazine in the late eighties or early nineties. I've shared it with several friends and put it in the church cookbook. I would be very interested in the chocolate/peanut butter dessert!

Bow Ties with Sausage

1 lb Italian sausage

1/2 t. red pepper flakes

1/2 c. diced onion

3 garlic cloves, minced

28 oz can chopped tomatoes

1 1/2 c. whipping cream (I use 1 cup)

1/2 tsp. salt

12 oz bow tie pasta

3 Tbs. parsley (opional--I omit)

Parmesan

Crumble sausage and brown with pepper flakes, onion, and garlic. Drain off fat. Add tomatoes, cream, and salt. Simmer until mixture thickens slightly, about 4 minutes. Add cooked pasta and heat through, about 2 minutes. Top with grated parmesan when serving.

I made this tonight, with just tiny little tweaks (seasonings, to suit our taste).  It was fabulous!  I can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.  

I have found Milo on the Mexican aisle of the grocery store.  

I have never tried those cream cheese, taco seasoning roll up things.  That sounds convenient.

I cook a lot, but also don't have wow recipes.  I do bake though!

Whole Wheat Bread

1.5 C Water

1 egg and 1 egg yolk

1/4 C olive oil

1/4 C honey\

1 t salt

4.5 C whole wheat flour (I use hard red and grind my own)

1 T yeast 

I put mine in a bread machine and use the manual setting.  I had to majorly adjust it when we moved.  We just moved 10 miles away, but the house is very different...so weird!

I made this tonight, with just tiny little tweaks (seasonings, to suit our taste).  It was fabulous!  I can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

I'll share Bow Tie Pasta with Sausage which originally came from Bon Appetit magazine in the late eighties or early nineties. I've shared it with several friends and put it in the church cookbook. I would be very interested in the chocolate/peanut butter dessert!

Bow Ties with Sausage

1 lb Italian sausage

1/2 t. red pepper flakes

1/2 c. diced onion

3 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 tsp. salt

12 oz bow tie pasta

Parmesan

Crumble sausage and brown with pepper flakes, onion, and garlic. Drain off fat. Add tomatoes, cream, and salt. Simmer until mixture thickens slightly, about 4 minutes. Add cooked pasta and heat through, about 2 minutes. Top with grated parmesan when serving.

I have this, the meatloaf, and the pot pie all printed and ready for dinners in the near future. I do enjoy a nice dessert now and again, but savory foods rock my world.

our version of buckeyes~except with ground walnuts and dates chopped fine (you can't taste either in the mix, the dates add a very slight chew and they both add a complexity you don't usually find in buckeyes...I love the protein punch of the peanut butter and walnuts...I just crave these and have to hide them in the outside freezer). I got this recipe from my grandmother. She got it out of the newspaper or off a box or something. She made it once and decided it was too much work. That was enough to infect the rest of my family though. Everyone makes it. 

I shouldn't even be reading this thread as I can't eat anything in it.

I had to comment on your buckeyes. You are the first person I've come across who has the exact same recipe that i grew up with. My mom used to make these every Christmas and I continued the tradition up until last Christmas. She called them Peanut Butter Cookies, though, even though they are more candy-like. I never found out where she got the recipe, but they were  huge favorite in my family. And, we only got them at Christmas. Once food processors were available, it sure made chopping the dates much easier.

I make a version of this:

http://indian.food.com/recipe/major-grey-chicken-curry-145414

Only I use real ginger root and real garlic chopped in with the onion and grill it.  I also often add chopped carrots and potatoes in with the chicken.

I don't mince the major grey either and I use more curry and usually a little marsala and chili for added spiciness.

But I use the base as my guide.  We love it.  It is very heavy in fat, but for special occasions it is great.  We serve it with basmati and garlic Naan or Chapatis.

I cut and pasted lots of recipes today!  Thanks, everyone. 

In honor of each of you, I'll post a link to a dinner recipe that a precious new friend sent me; she had made this as a delicious dinner while I was caring for my mom and dad while Mom was in the rehab center.  This one fills the bill for those who want savory, vegan, or healthy/clean foods.  ; )   

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted-Vegetables/Detail.aspx?fb_action_ids=10201273180178972&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

The lady who made it for us roasted chicken breasts in with it, and it was delicious, but the veggies/potatoes are great on their own.   (Leave out the butternut or peppers if they are not to your liking.)

And a final recipe that we've recently tried that was a HUGE keeper...not healthy, but easily "tweakable" to be more healthy:

http://therecipecritic.com/2012/10/cherry-pie-bars/

Enjoy!

I make a delicious Thai chicken curry. I serve it with minted basmati. My kids and DH All devour it. I actually just posted a cute pic of my baby eating it on fb. :)

Would you mind sharing the recipe? Sounds delicious.

One of our favorites for summer is a recipe from one of the Moosewood cookbooks that I've tweaked. It's basically uncooked pasta sauce. Make the sauce mid-afternoon and let it sit, covered, on the counter for the flavors to blend. At suppertime, cook the noodles and serve quickly so that you spoon sauce over hot noodles-it melts some of the mozzarella and is yummy!

Summer Sauce

fresh tomatoes

fresh basil

half pound grated mozzarella

bit of raw chopped garlic

tsp salt

olive oil-quarter to half cup

half pound mushrooms, washed and sliced or chopped

few shakes parmesan

It makes enough for a pound of noodles.

Here are some of my favorites. These are all tried and true and we love them. You'll notice some are very healthy, some not so much. We fluctuate between the two around here.

Helena from the board's rice - so amazing - would love to cook with her one day in person...

I seriously would cry if I lost it...made me a hero in my home :) WELL, not that great but pretty life changing seeing as before it I was using boxed.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/181246-had-some-amazing-mexican-food-help-me-with-a-recipe/

Here is a not healthy meatloaf recipe my family loves. We haven't had it in a while because we aren't doing much ground beef. The horseradish is crucial. We get the German kind at the Food Lion, forget the name. Really makes the dish, in my opinion.

Credit goes to a friend on these boards and to Southern Living.

http://eat.at/swap/forum1/7917_My_favorite_is_Horseradish_Meat_Loaf_from_Southern_Living

She also gave me the Olive Garden Toscana Soup recipe that gets requested every time I take the dish somewhere. Really great stuff in the winter...

http://plantoeat.com/recipes/182777

This is one of our great lunches, made usually by my 14 year old. The 12 year old needs to learn to make it. Soon.

http://happyhealthymama.com/2012/02/sesame-noodles-with-red-pepper-and-edamame.html

LOVE this salad, but beware of ordinary grocery store out of season napa cabbage. Use the good stuff...super healthy :)

http://plantoeat.com/recipes/1364140

(credit: Fresh 20, February 1)

My super healthy eating best friend often drops hints on how much she loves me to make this for her:

http://plantoeat.com/recipes/1015991

(another fresh 20 hit)

These two are our recent favorites. DD makes both and the results are amazing. 30 minutes to boot! Winners in our book.

http://plantoeat.com/recipes/1281723

30 minute Chicken Tagine from America's Test Kitchen 30 minute meals. GREAT!!! cookbook

and

http://plantoeat.com/recipes/1257484

Braised Cod Veracruz from ATK 30 min as well. YUMMMMY and easy with Sam's frozen cod filets.

Enjoy

Bow Ties with Sausage

1 lb Italian sausage

1/2 t. red pepper flakes

1/2 c. diced onion

3 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 tsp. salt

12 oz bow tie pasta

Parmesan

I made this for dinner! It was a huge hit. The sauce cooks by the time the noodles are ready. PERFECT for a busy night. I used hot sausage and left out the pepper flakes. I also did basil instead of parsley because I had some growing. I accidentally used a whole pound of pasta instead of 12 ounces and it was STILL delicious.

Thanks!

I make this, with the addition that I first dredge chicken in flour and sautĂƒÂ©e in EVOO with a ton of garlic and some salt and garlic pepper. Gets rave reviews every time. It's a bit spicy, but we all like it, even ds5. We add Parmesan to the dressing too.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/caesar-salad-dressing-recipe/index.html

Serve over chopped romaine or a romaine/spinach combo, with croutons and a generous sprinkle of grated Parmesan.

I make this, with the addition that I first dredge chicken in flour and sautĂƒÂ©e in EVOO with a ton of garlic and some salt and garlic pepper. Gets rave reviews every time. It's a bit spicy, but we all like it, even ds5. We add Parmesan to the dressing too.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/caesar-salad-dressing-recipe/index.html

Serve over chopped romaine or a romaine/spinach combo, with croutons and a generous sprinkle of grated Parmesan.

Thank you! I'm trying to transition to homemade dressings instead of bottles (trying to get rid of the weird chemical ingredients in so many brands). I found a decent ranch dressing recipe but I still needed a caesar dressing (which is what I use most). We'll give this a try.

Here is my Sour Cream Coffee Cake

1 cup softened butter (used 1/2 c butter and 1/2 c margarine)

2 cups sugar

2 eggs

1 cup sour cream

1 tsp. Vanilla

2 cups flour(sifted but I don't)

1 tsp. Baking powder

Topping: 2 tsp cinnamon, 4 Tb brown sugar, 1/2 cup chopped pecans

I normally skip the nuts and double the cinn. And b. Sugar

Cream butter and sugar, add eggs, then fold in sour cream and vanilla, add dry ingredients.

Pour one half of batter in greased and floured 10 inch tube pan. Sprinkle half of the topping over layer. Add rest of batter. Purest of topping on. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes at 350. Let cool before removing from pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Pork Raviolis: Quick version

Boneless pork tenderloin sliced very thin, have the butcher do it, or pound some thinly sliced porkchops even thinner

Can of mustard greens

Can of mushrooms

Can of beef stock

Marinara sauce of your choice

Gourmet version:

tenderloin sliced thin

fresh mustard greens

fresh mushrooms

beef consumme

homemade marinara with tomatoes, onions, greenpeppers, garlic, sugar, Italian seasoning

Put greens, mushrooms and beef consumme or stock in saucepot and cook to reduce liquid by half

Lay pork slice out, fill one half with greens/mushroom mix, fold meat over, repeat till you have a skillet full

Fry in bacon grease, or whatever you like until brown on both sides, put in casserole dish and keep warm as you cook the rest

serve with marinara sauce

For potlucks, I put in casserole dish one layer at a time topped with marinara, then another layer, more marinara until the casserole is full, cover and keep warm in oven. I am asked to fix this every year for Christmas and bring to family reunion.

I have a few recipes that I'd be sad if they got lost. I've gotten requests for many recipes and maybe the main ones of late are my Chicken Tikka Masala(adapted from Cooks Illustrated) and Green Mango, Cucumber and Pepper Salad.

Chicken Tikka Masala

Published September 1, 2007.

Serves 4 to 6.

Why this recipe works:

Our goal was to develop a simple chicken masala recipe with readily available ingredients. To get there, we rubbed the chicken with a mixture of salt, coriander, cumin, and cayenne, then dipped it in yogurt mixed with oil, garlic, and ginger. For a year-round tikka masala recipe, we chose the broiler rather than the grill and cooked the chicken in large pieces to prevent it from drying out.

This dish is best when prepared with whole-milk yogurt, but low-fat yogurt can be substituted. For a spicier dish, do not remove the ribs and seeds from the chile. If you prefer, substitute 2 teaspoons ground coriander, 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper for the garam masala. The sauce can be made ahead, refrigerated for up to 4 days in an airtight container, and gently reheated before adding the hot chicken. Serve with basmati rice.

Ingredients

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Chicken Tikka

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1/2teaspoon ground cumin

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1/2teaspoon ground coriander

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1teaspoon table salt

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 2pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts , trimmed of fat

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1cup plain whole-milk yogurt (see note above)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 2tablespoons vegetable oil

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 2 medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1tablespoon grated fresh ginger

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Masala Sauce

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 3tablespoons vegetable oil

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1 medium onion , diced fine (about 1 1/4 cups)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 2 medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 2teaspoons grated fresh ginger

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1 fresh serrano chile , ribs and seeds removed, flesh minced (see note above)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1tablespoon tomato paste

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1tablespoon garam masala (see note above)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 2teaspoons sugar

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1/2teaspoon table salt

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 2/3cup heavy cream

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 1/4cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Instructions

1. 1. FOR THE CHICKEN: Combine cumin, coriander, cayenne, and salt in small bowl. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with spice mixture, pressing gently so mixture adheres. Place chicken on plate, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes. In large bowl, whisk together yogurt, oil, garlic, and ginger; set aside.

2. 2. FOR THE SAUCE: Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until light golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, chile, tomato paste, and garam masala; cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, sugar, and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cream and return to simmer. Remove pan from heat and cover to keep warm.

3. 3. While sauce simmers, adjust oven rack to upper-middle position (about 6 inches from heating element) and heat broiler. Using tongs, dip chicken into yogurt mixture (chicken should be coated with thick layer of yogurt) and arrange on wire rack set in foil-lined rimmed baking sheet or broiler pan. Discard excess yogurt mixture. Broil chicken until thickest parts register 160 degrees on instant-read thermometer and exterior is lightly charred in spots, 10 to 18 minutes, flipping chicken halfway through cooking.

4. 4. Let chicken rest 5 minutes, then cut into 1-inch chunks and stir into warm sauce (do not simmer chicken in sauce). Stir in cilantro, adjust seasoning with salt, and serve.

Step-by-Step

Chicken Tikka Masala

1. RUB: Coat chicken in salt and spice mixture and refrigerate.

2. MAKE SAUCE: Prepare creamy tomato-masala sauce.

3. DIP: Dunk chicken in protective coating of yogurt and oil.

4. BROIL: Broil chicken, then allow to rest.

5. COMBINE: Cut chicken into chunks and add to sauce.

Shopping

Key Ingredients for Chicken Tikka Masala

All of the ingredients for Chicken Tikka Masala are available at the supermarket. Here are notes on what to buy.

Crushed Tomatoes: Crushed tomatoes form the base of the masala sauce. Muir Glen was highly rated in a recent tasting.

Garam Masala: This combination of warm spices seasons the masala sauce. McCormick won a recent test kitchen tasting.

Plain Yogurt: Whole-milk yogurt forms a protective barrier on the chicken. Brown Cow is our favorite brand.

Chicken Breasts: Lean white meat pairs well with the rich tomato-cream sauce. The test kitchen prefers Bell and Evans.

Notes: I don't add the chicken to the sauce...I cut them into slivers, plate them with the rice(cooked in stock..I sautee a few diced onions, add the rice, coat with the fat and onions, add stock and cook) and serve the sauce in a sauce pot on the side.

Green Mango, Cucumber and Pepper Salad

1 8-inch English Cucumber cut lengthwise into quarters, thinly sliced

3 green mangoes, peeled cut into julienne strips

Ă‚Â¼ cup slivered red onions(I would probably dice these but I usually use green onions to my taste)

3 green onions, sliced thinly

2 Tbsp. Finely chopped fresh coriander(IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve been using Ă‚Â¼ tsp. Ground in the salad dressing instead)

1 yellow or red or even green pepper (you could increase the heat by getting a hot pepper, but I like my kids to enjoy the salad also), I thinly slice these as well

Salad Dressing

2 Tbsp. Lime juice ( Ă‚Â¾ - 1 lime)

2 Tbsp. White vinegar (I use either red or white wine vinegar)

2 Tbsp. Vegetable oil

1 Tbsp. Sugar

Salt to taste

1. Put cucumber and mango into a large bowl. Add the red onions, green onions, half of the coriander (if using fresh, reserve the rest for the end), and pepper. Toss until well mixed.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, vinegar, oil and sugar until emulsified. Season to taste with salt. Pour dressing over salad, and toss well. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the remainder of the chopped coriander. Serve immediately or keep for up to two hours, covered and unrefrigerated.

I enjoyed looking at all of your postings as well. Thanks for sharing.

Dd's Lemon Drizzle Cake is fabulous. It always gets rave reviews and is the easiest lemon drizzle we have made.

Cake mixture:

200 g unsalted butter softened

250 g sugar

3 medium eggs

finely grated zest of 2 unwaxed lemons

250 g self-raising flour

1/2 teas baking powder

100 ml milk

Topping:

100 g sugar

Juice of the two lemons

Preheat oven to 350 F. Put sugar, lemon zest, butter, and eggs in a large bowl. Dd mixes by hand here altough recipe does not call for it. Sift in flour and baking powder. Add milk. Mix until completely smooth.

We generally bake it in a rectangular pan because we serve it cut in small squares like brownies. Our pan is the same basic area as the 20 cm round springform pan the recipe requires. We line with baking paper really well. Bake 50 to 60 minutes.

Simply mix the topping together and prick the top of the cake all over with a tooth pick. Pour topping glaze over hot cake and cool. The glaze will soak into the cake giving it a great lemon flavor.

Here's Dear Old Dad's Kickin' Shrimp Cocktail Sauce

Mix:

1/3 cup ketchup

1/2 cup chili sauce

2-4 Tbsp horseradish

1-1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1/4 tsp salt

2 Tbsp lemon juice

Dash of pepper

Couple dashes of Tabasco (to taste)

Chill

Double the recipe for parties

:party: 

Here's another one.  Found it in a Southern Living magazine years ago.  I especially like the fact that it does not use egg yolks in the filling.

(btw, Julie, I'm sure you don't need all the detailed instructions, but I include them for anyone who is like me and might really need them. :))

Key Lime Pie

Crust: 

Process in food processor until crumbly, but not dust:

1-2 of the packages of graham crackers that come in a box (depends on the size of your pie plate)

~ 1/4 c. light brown sugar (adjust to your tastes)

~ 1/3 c. melted butter (also adjust to amount of dry ingredients - don't want it to be greasy)

I add some spices at this point .... pinch of cinnamon, tiny pinch of nutmeg, grated vanilla bean, etc.

Bake at 350 degrees in greased pie plate until lightly browned.  ~10 minutes, depending on your oven.

Pour filling (see below) into crust and spread meringue (see below) over top sealing edges well.  Bake at 325 degrees for about 25 minutes.  Meringue should be light (?) brown when done, but I try to make the entire 25 minutes to make sure it sets well.

Cool completely before cutting.  I put it on a cooling rack.  I know it's ready to cut when I touch the bottom and it's not even warm.  If cut before cool, it will be runny.  Still delicious, but messy.  Sometimes I put it in the fridge to speed it up (after it's cooled a little, of course).  Store in fridge.

Filling:

Whisk:  2 (14 oz) cans of sweetened, condensed milk + 1 c. Key lime juice (I buy mine in a bottle at the grocery store.)

Meringue: 

Beat at least 2 egg whites on high speed with electric mixer just until foamy.  Add regular sugar until sweet as you want it.  Add anything else you like. 

(I like a lot of meringue, so I use more egg whites and more sugar.  But sometimes it doesn't turn out so good, so do what you know works.)

Yum-O!!! :drool5:  Thanks for sharing!!!

I have a few that I love lately

Slightly health infield tater tot casserole (frozen shredded potatoes work)

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/broccoli_beef_potato_hotdish.html

Olive Garden breadsticks. Is great pizza dough too

http://www.thecountrycook.net/2011/08/garlic-breadstickstwo-ways.html

Baked potato soup uses cauliflower

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/02/baked-potato-soup.html

Strawberry Bread

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/02/baked-potato-soup.html

I would love the pot pie recipe!