Menu

Going to Costco...

amyco

What do you like from Costco?  I'm going with a friend tomorrow because we are thinking about joining.  I know their organic olive oil is supposed to be very good.  What else is a super deal and/or very good quality?  I'm thinking frozen fruit too. We have limited freezer space but lots of dry storage.

I just wonder if joining will be worth it for us.

Thanks for any tips!!

Real maple syrup. Large jugs for the price of a small bottle at the grocery store. Frozen fruit (for smoothies). Large packages of nuts. Cheese blocks (we use a lot of Romano especially, although DS10 is sitting beside me plugging the Jarlsberg). Olive oil.

We regularly buy organic meats, feta, citrus fruits, berries, diapers.  I like their big, thick beach towels for $12.  We get frontline for the cat.  Bread and bagels are very cheap. They have a 12 pack of Annie's mac and cheese for $12 (I think it's organic, though I don't really care for that particular product).  Milk is dirt cheap, $2.50/gallon. Bulk butter and shredded cheeses - both freeze well.

There will be a coupon book at the customer service desk, grab one. 

Do not buy the honey, it was identified as being so filtered that it contains almost no pollen. http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/#.UeV9aG36v2I

fair trade raw sugar

sprouted three bean mix (great for any kind of eating)

hemp seed

big bags of choc chips

organic butter

hormone free or organic milk

organic produce such as blueberries and strawberries

nitrate free meat products

rotisserie chicken

pork loin roast (lean and $2/pound)

paper products

this year, the raw pecans were good (fresh, as opposed to dried out) 

in season, very nice plants like 3 gallon Knockout rose bushes at half price

"fast food"  i.e., something I can pull out of the freezer and eat

We bought the Executive membership.  Sure it's $110, but we got back more than twice that in the check last year, which then makes our membership free every year. ;)  So, if it's close, consider that.

Costco is cheaper for us in pretty much every single area - appliances, food, socks, etc.

But the things I get on a regular basis?

Organic Coconut Oil  (MUCH cheaper)

BedHead Shampoo/Conditioner for oldest DD's curly hair

Razors

Toothbrushes and Floss

Triple Berry frozen berries

All frozen veggies

Lettuces (MUCH cheaper)

Tillamook Cheese

Avocados are a good deal if you'll eat them all.

Muffins (When I'm weak.)

Coffee (Significantly less expensive and I can grind it fresh there.)

Frozen Chicken Breasts

Flank Steak

Roasts

Ground Beef

(I like their meat.)

Pork Loin

The sausages that are chicken and artichoke - we like those. ;)  Brats are cheaper too.

Butter is cheaper than sale prices but only slightly.

Eggs are cheaper if you can eat five dozen.

Bob's Red Mill oats are significantly less expensive

Real maple syrup

Raw sugar is much cheaper there.

Their olive oil is significantly less.

Diapers if you have littles - watch for the coupons.  You can download the coupon app as well.

Hanna jammies when they have them.

Unders for little kids

Pecans

Almonds

Dried Coconut

Dried fruit if you do dried fruit

Fresh fruit is usually not significantly less expensive, but hey, if you're there.......

Meat is almost always less expensive as a rule.

Veggies are less expensive fresh if you can do the quantity.  

Almost all of their frozen stuff is cheaper across the board.

My comparison shopping is Fred Meyer's of the local grocery store... The local store is cute but it is generally worth my time and $$ in gas to run the 13 miles to Costco.

We go to Costco for almost everything.

ETA: Oh and dog food!  They have a grain free option that is downright economical.

And Tide pods.

Oh! And the dishwasher soap.

Everything.  Just everything.

Some things we buy at Costco some frequently others occasionally:

Olive Oil

Frozen Chicken

Lunch Meat

Frozen Veggies and Fruit

Coffee

Rotisserie Chicken

Fresh Fruit and Veggies

Goggles

Speedo Suits for girls

Books

Movies

Snack foods

Vitamins and other medicines

Dry Erase Markers

Jams

Hidden valley ranch without MSG

Gluten Free Bread

Fish

Girls Christmas or Easter Dresses

Sale Items

Juice boxes

Baked goods

Small Appliances(we bought a rice cooker)

Socks for dh

Cheese Sticks

Yogurt

Frozen Waffles

Peanut Butter

etc.

We always buy

Coffee beans (roasted by Starbucks)

Half and half

Milk

Eggs

Almond milk

Kirkland plain Greek yogurt

Organic baby carrots

Triple berry frozen berries

Frozen veggies (green beans, broccoli, corn----they are usually organic)

Kirkland brand lactaid pills

We may buy

Seasonal fruit

Pineapples

(We have never had good luck with the bananas but ymmv.)

the small ataulfo/champagne mangos

Ground turkey

Chicken pieces

Boneless pork chops

Salsas

Maple syrup

Nuts

And for parties we buy

Frozen cream puffs

Large bags of Ruffles, Stacy's pita chips, Kirkland organic tortilla chips

Deli meats and sliced cheeses

Large bags of freshly baked small rolls (like 35 in a bag, 1.5 oz ea)

We also have an executive membership and it pays off.

We buy:

fish

chicken

beef

ground beef (I can watch them grind the beef through the window. They don't add pink slime to their ground beef.)

fresh and frozen vegetables

fresh and frozen fruit

block cheese

paper plates and plastic cutlery

toilet paper

paper towels

ink for our printer

snacks

I haven't always like their selection of electronics, but they have a 3 month return policy for ANY reason!

Their pharmacy is the least expensive I have ever found.

All of the above, plus the rotisserie chicken (maybe I missed it in the lists).  I've reached the point that every time I go in there, I bring home at least one.  We either eat it for dinner that night, or I use the meat for other things and make stock with the bones. 

I'm sure it has way too much sodium in it.  But they are so good, and so cheap.

Also AA batteries.

Oh yes, and when we lived in a state with reasonable liquor laws, we bought our wine and beer there. Alas, then we moved to Pennsylvania and that is no more. 

Do pick up the coupon book from customer service before you shop. Two good deals this month that you don't actually need a coupon for: chobani yogurt $4.20 off (this will be 15 individual yogurts 5 blueberry, 5 peach, 5 strawberry for about $11. Can't remember the exact price but even without the coupon its less than $1 per container which is almost always cheaper than any grocery store). Also my dh's contact lens supplies are $3 off. Those are the two we're using for sure.

If you have young kids, goldfish crackers and string cheese are always great deals. The goldfish come with 3 sealed bags inside the box so they stay fresh (and I just keep the open bag in a ziploc). We buy a lot of our meat there--chicken and steaks. Turkey sausage and chicken meatballs too. We love the Tortilla Land tortillas in the refrigerated section that you cook yourself. When we need vitamins, allergy meds, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, or contact lens supplies we get them there. Used to get some kid clothes there but I think they've grown out of the sizes Costco carries. We get almonds and fiber one bars there. There are some Whole Fruit organic frozen fruit juice push up things right now that are very good. The produce items are good but the quantities are a little large for us. Sometimes I'll get grapes or romaine lettuce heads. And we always gas up when we're there. That alone would pay for a membership pretty quickly. 

Check the clothes.   It is VERY hit or miss, but sometimes they have great deals.   I got two pairs of DKNY Jeans cotton capris for $19.99 each a few weeks ago.  

I also get the tortillas mentioned above, block cheddar, sliced cheese, dishwasher detergent, grapeseed oil (this is an especially good deal), organic chicken breasts, and Barilla pasta if they happen to have it.  The mozzarella di bufala is a total steal but my husband and children don't like it, sigh.  

They sell an all natural smoked salmon that is really good. Darnit, now I'm going to have to call dh and ask him to stop and pick some up.

I wish I could remember the exact name, it's NOT the store's Kirkland brand. It's in a bit smaller package.

Gee nobody mentioned the books. I ALWAYS manage to come home with a new book or two. :)

Nutella!!!!!

Fresh produce, frozen items, dried fruit, wine, and stuff...lots and lots of stuff. Sometimes clothes--shirts, socks, jackets... I usually buy a few bags of Miracle Gro potting soil for my porch pots every summer. Significantly cheaper than Home Depot.

Thank you everyone!!  My list has now gotten a lot longer!! 

I would have never thought about contact lens stuff, so I'll check that out, plus the meat and nuts, cheese and allergy meds.  I'll look for the coupon book too. 

Thanks again for taking the time out to tell me what you like at Costco! 

They have a lot of things we do enjoy

Dd likes the salsa, I think it is Jacks brand

I  buy large bags of quinoa and jasmine rice

Olive oil

I buy a ton of produce there, strawberries, grapes, watermelons, mangoes (I cut half the mangoes up and freeze for smoothies) apples, we never really leave without fruit of some sort

I agree about the big bag of frozen fruit for smoothies. I always have that on hand

I like the lettuces, they are a good price. 

I buy the big bag of red onions, I was initially worried about not using them fast enough but I seem to use them  all

large boxes of kosher salt, dd and I make our own little salt scrubs with it in addition to using it in cooking. *L

Dh likes the pot pies

Chicken

ground beef (theirs is pink slime free)

roasts

I agree about the smoked  salmon, it is particularly good on days where you don't want to heat up your kitchen! :)

Avocados (I freeze half of what I buy, I like having some stored up for out of season) http://www.avocadocentral.com/how-to/how-to-store-how-to-ripen-avocados

I like the tortillas you cook yourself

Frozen mixed veggies

Yeast,  it takes me awhile to use it all but I keep it in the fridge in a huge pickle jar

Huge jars of pickles. I like the famous  dave spicy spickles but the kids like the regular kosher dills 

Sliced cheeses for sandwiches. 

Their little diner area has cheap pizza slices and hot dog deals . If we have been running a lot of errands we will eat there before shopping.

I agree about the bananas, I don't buy them there

lunchmeat

I LOVE tabouleh but don't buy the costco tabouleh with their other prepared foods, it seems sandy to me. I buy the packaged tabouleh that is over by the hummus

Hummus

English cucumbers

maple syrup

pirate booty for the kids

crackers

What do you like from Costco?  I'm going with a friend tomorrow because we are thinking about joining.  I know their organic olive oil is supposed to be very good.  What else is a super deal and/or very good quality?  I'm thinking frozen fruit too. We have limited freezer space but lots of dry storage.

I just wonder if joining will be worth it for us.

Thanks for any tips!!

I love Costco.  We buy their organic milk and eggs and some veggies every week.

We also buy lots of other stuff.  Today, I bought the perfect sturdy backpack for one of my kids.  It was half the price of Target. 

I love Costco for all of the reasons everyone already listed.  Since we are close to ours we also buy gas there.

Me, too.

We have the executive membership.

I go there for:

gas

milk

cottage cheese

nutella

dishwasher detergent

laundry soap (Kirkland brand)

toilet paper

paper towels (Kirkland)

plastic spoons/forks/knives if we are having a party

avocados

strawberries

chocolate chips

vanilla

vanilla beans

flats of bottled water (I try to keep a flat of water in the trunk of my car at all times during the summer, but we are in the desert)

"raw" tortillas

lunch meat

cheese

large quantities of anything for camping trips or parties (eggs, pancake mix, syrup, etc.)

and just to wander around tasting samples with my three year old.  Why is it that my kids will eat anything served on a toothpick if it's at Costco, but won't touch it if I bring it home and serve it here?  :rolleyes:

We also have the executive membership and use it all the time.

Our usuals are:

Butter

Bread (we buy two loaves and freeze until we need)

Chicken breasts

Organic ground beef

Cheese, including paneer, Parmesan, feta, and goat cheese

Sugar

Olive oil

Vanilla beans

Fruit

Paper goods

Coke

Lemonade (their organic lemonade is the bomb!)

Milk

chicken breasts (we buy both the frozen coleman and fresh coleman)

coleman thighs

chicken sausage

carnitas

contact stuff

organic apple chips

organic baby kale

hummus, tzatziki, Holy Guacamole (way cheaper than grocery store and can be frozen)

clementines

cheese

movie theatre and restaurant GCs. DH and I buy GCs every year for a very nice local place, and we treat our families to brunch for Christmas. A GC at costco is 80 for $100 and you can use two GCs per transaction. That saves us $40 at that restaurant with minimal effort on our part. Just an example of the coolness that is costco

greeting cards (sold in boxes and nice quality for the price)

wrapping paper (very high quality)

electrosol/Finish brand tablets for dishwasher

eco friendly liquid dish soap

coconut oil

vinegar and baking soda

spices

coffee

unsweetened greek yogurt

avocados

greenhouse grown peppers

toys for the holidays roll out in the fall

bed sheets are nice for the price

frozen wild salmon fillet portions are under $9/lb, which isn't too bad

canned wild salmon (we like the Bear and Wolf one)

vitamin D3

condoms

some Costcos have organic tomato products in glass now. Mine still only has cans.

Oh, I forgot the maple syrup! Soooo much cheaper than in the stores, and good quality. We also get some clothes, books, batteries, movies, crackers, breakfast cereal, chicken stock, canned oranges, tomatoes, and pineapple... yeah I agree with the previous poster who said it would be easier to list what we *don't* get at Costco! :hurray:

We love a lot of the things already listed. Also they have great prices on multipacks of white view binders in various sizes. And their over the counter medicine prices are unbelievable. I regularly buy the value size Kirkland tylenol for my MIL for half the price she used to pay at Walmart. Allergy pills come in bottles of 365 for about $13. Their pharmacy is also great; a friend of mine picked up a RX there for $40 after CVS had told her it would be $200.

Just a suggestion, always go with a list! I find that COSTCO is the number one place I get sucked into impulse buying. That's okay if I have room in the budget, but when I don't have the extra cash flow, I don't set foot in there without a list!

This is true. I spent $200 today and only got two food items (not counting dogfood).

I think we are definitely going to join.  I wrote down a lot of prices to show DH for comparison, and still spent $240, even using a list and only purchasing two impulse items!  (post-it notes and instant breakfast for the kids).  I was really impressed with their prices on a lot of things.  The only issue for us will be cold storage. 

Has anyone used their optical shop?  Do the prices compare?  We're looking for a cheap pair of back up glasses for my daughter.

Thanks everyone! 

I do half or more of my grocery shopping at Costco. Some of my regular things are

Frozen Fruit (Strawberries, Blueberries, Pineapple, Tropical Fruit Blend)

Frozen corn and Peas

Frozen Veggies

Milk

Butter

Strawberries

Apples

Bananas

Spinach

Baby Carrots

Rice

Quinoa

Corn Tortillas

Tortilla Chips

Chopped Garlic

Seasonings

Canned Whole Tomatoes

Beans

Nut Clusters

Nuts

Rice Snacks

Olive Oil

Vegetable Oil

Cat and Dog Food

and lots more

They also have good deals on other stuff. I got soil for planting and cheap apple trees. They had the preschool prep series, bobob books and the Singapore style workbooks for cheap. They have cheap clothes and coats that are good quality. I got a great deal on a bike trailer when my oldest was a baby. They have cool gifts.

I finally rejoined Costco a couple of weeks ago. It is really close for us, closer than the main grocery store I usually go to. Now that we are having a tiny bit extra cash it is nice to be able to stock up on stuff, today we got organic pasta, crushed tomatoes, salsa, cheese, bread, bagels, beer. The bottle of premade golden margarita is really good. They also had some great boys slim jeans for $15, nice dark blue and dark grey. When we first joined I spent money on packs of smoke detectors - we really wanted the newer kind, batteries, lunch boxes. The amounts we have been spending are a bit scary but we are eating so much more fresh food, a healthier variety, and have a nice stockpile in the freezer and pantry and also things like toilet paper and paper towels. Already I can tell our overall monthly total is going down, plus with a lot more variety and some easier meals in the house we are a lot less likely to head out for burritos or other take out.

I haven't been going frequently enough to have a full list. The very first time I went I made sure to leave Dh and kids at home so I could look thoroughly without being talked into buying too much extra stuff.