Menu

Please help me salvage his education; desperate plea here...

OK, I am about to open myself wide here with this post, I've messed up big time with my oldest, and I know that.

He turned 17 two days ago, and is doing what we've been calling (for those that ask) 10th grade. In September I will call him 11th grade; if I keep going this way, he will be a Senior when he is 18/19, graduating 2 months after he turns 19. First question: is this too old? That is my biggest fear.

Second: this is not a STEM type student at all. I need some advice on what course to lay out for him to either graduate in 2014, or 2015 (if the feeling is that that's not too old). What we've done so far: World History, US History (almost done); an assortment of Sonlight sciences, Biology using CK12 (almost done); Saxon Math up to 7/6, pre-Algebra with the "Keys To" series, and trying to get through Algebra (no where near done -- we've been at "Algebra" in one form or another for 2 years). We've done grammar for years I think we call it quits. He's done some on line computer stuff, and I'm looking for more.

What we've NOT done/I feel like we need to do/are weak on, from listening in on these forums for a long time: foreign language, more science (but what, for a non-sciencey kid), more math (for a non-mathy kid), ??for history, ??lit analysis, ??writing....so yeah, those are what I see as weak areas, and my kid is 17.

Let me get this stuff out of the way: no $$ for curriculum/outsourcing (it's that or food really); public school is out of the question; and what he WANTS to do is WORK, he's interested in computer/IT path. I do have a plan for that actually; I want him to start volunteering time at my University's IT department (HUGE), get his face and work ethic known there so that down the road when they have even the smallest opening, he is already there. This *is* possible, I've talked to people in that department. This will open up the opportunity for higher education for him in this field...paid for.

So, (thanks for keeping up so far), I need some advice on where to go from here as far as coursework. Please help me salvage this mess. Like I said, I *know* I've messed up, I *know* we're behind...what I want from the Hive is advice on how to fast track or intensive track him so he can be graduated. Oh, and I live in probably THE MOST home school friendly state -- NJ -- so I really have no requirements as far as the state goes.

(sighing and hitting send)

~coffee~

In answer to your first question, no that's not too late. "Redshirting" or holding back a student, especially boys, is more common than you might think. There was a thread about that on the HS board recently, where most people who've done that said they were glad they did.

As to the academics... can you list what credits he would have so far, if you had to make up a transcript today? Do any of the "Sonlight sciences" count for HS, or is Bio his only HS science credit? If you haven't done any physics, I would try to fit in a light conceptual/applied sort of physics course. If you feel like he needs another history or social studies credit, he could do something like History of Science & Technology, or research some other topic of interest.

It sounds like you need some English credits? Does he have any so far? What does he like to read? Jane recently linked some interesting resources for doing literary analysis through graphic novels. If he likes Tolkein, there's LLLOTR. There are lots of free online courses (including literature) through Coursera, EdX, Udactiy, iTunes U, and other places; many of them include access to the readings via downloadable PDFs or links to free online sources.

If you type up a list of what his transcript would look like so far, as well as list the kinds of things he's interested in, what he likes to read, etc., maybe people can make more concrete suggestions.

I see from your siggie that you're dealing with some significant health problems, as well as working and homeschooling. Please don't beat yourself up, or think that you've "ruined" your DS's education. This is definitely fixable. :grouphug:

Jackie

Coffee, I don't think you've messed up. You've been hitting every single subject, hurrah! He has a strong sense of himself and what he has to give to the world and the drive to do it, double hurrah! I'd make sure he has life skills. Keep plodding on that math.

You know some people use computer programming for their language.

I wouldn't stress over the grammar at this point, but continue to give attention to basic editing if he needs it. On the writing, think practical. List 5 kinds of writing he'd like to be able to do and learn to do them. He'd like to be able to write a letter to the editor, a Christmas newsletter, tell a fish tale, debate an ethical point with arguments for and against (just a list or sentences, not a full essay), and write a single paragraph on a non-fiction topic that interests him. Useful stuff.

I don't think you're doing badly AT ALL. It just sounds weird in comparison to some people on the boards. He sounds like a happy, whole soul who knows who he is and what he can do and can work hard. Is there anything more to ask?

In answer to your first question, no that's not too late. "Redshirting" or holding back a student, especially boys, is more common than you might think. There was a thread about that on the HS board recently, where most people who've done that said they were glad they did. OK, thank you for this...I didn't realize that this was "redshirting" since I didn't do it on purpose; so many "life" things have got in the way.

As to the academics... can you list what credits he would have so far, if you had to make up a transcript today? Do any of the "Sonlight sciences" count for HS, or is Bio his only HS science credit? If you haven't done any physics, I would try to fit in a light conceptual/applied sort of physics course. If you feel like he needs another history or social studies credit, he could do something like History of Science & Technology, or research some other topic of interest. I will have to see what I can piece together as to a transcript; I kinda figured this is something I need to do in order to see where to go next. The only science that is HS worthy is the Biology; he likes the CK12 style and I will probably continue with their material. I don't remember if they have physics but I will check. I think I might want him to do some sort of Gov't/Econ work, and some sort of Personal Finance study.

It sounds like you need some English credits? Does he have any so far? What does he like to read? Jane recently linked some interesting resources for doing literary analysis through graphic novels. If he likes Tolkein, there's LLLOTR. There are lots of free online courses (including literature) through Coursera, EdX, Udactiy, iTunes U, and other places; many of them include access to the readings via downloadable PDFs or links to free online sources. I will research the online literature stuff; and he is weak on writing, so I need something there.

If you type up a list of what his transcript would look like so far, as well as list the kinds of things he's interested in, what he likes to read, etc., maybe people can make more concrete suggestions. Will do this and post back.

I see from your siggie that you're dealing with some significant health problems, as well as working and homeschooling. Please don't beat yourself up, or think that you've "ruined" your DS's education. This is definitely fixable. :grouphug: Thanks for the encouragement!!

Jackie

Coffee, I don't think you've messed up. You've been hitting every single subject, hurrah! He has a strong sense of himself and what he has to give to the world and the drive to do it, double hurrah! I'd make sure he has life skills. Keep plodding on that math. We are...plod, plod, plod

You know some people use computer programming for their language. Hmmm....never even thought about that; have to go over my bookmarked pages that are computer programming classes...

I wouldn't stress over the grammar at this point, but continue to give attention to basic editing if he needs it. On the writing, think practical. List 5 kinds of writing he'd like to be able to do and learn to do them. He'd like to be able to write a letter to the editor, a Christmas newsletter, tell a fish tale, debate an ethical point with arguments for and against (just a list or sentences, not a full essay), and write a single paragraph on a non-fiction topic that interests him. Useful stuff. Thank you for these suggestions; in the past he has participated in NaNoWriMo, so we are not totally lost there. I think I have some sites bookmarked for learning the basics of writing different kinds of things, so I will go back and review them.

I don't think you're doing badly AT ALL. It just sounds weird in comparison to some people on the boards. He sounds like a happy, whole soul who knows who he is and what he can do and can work hard. Is there anything more to ask? Thank you for this encouragement! I truly appreciate it.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

First, you clearly have not messed up! You've been trying hard all along to adapt and make things work. You also have thought through some really good ideas for DS for the future. None of that is failure or messing up!

re: First -- being 19 when he graduates

NOT at all a problem! There are a few students who are 20yo when they graduate high school! Our oldest turned 19yo 6 weeks before he graduated homeschool high school (we had moved him way back in kindergarten to pre-school). NO one has ever asked or cared that he was 19yo when he graduated. I know *quite* a few students who are 19 at graduation, or who turn 19 in the summer after graduation, so it is common enough that it is unlikely to raise any red flags. Community colleges and universities see all ages coming in, so not a problem there. I can't even imagine where it might be a problem...

re: Second: this is not a STEM type student .... what course to lay out for him to ... graduate

I recommend shooting for completing the credits that will keep as many doors open to him for his future as possible. From your post, it sounds like you are trying to make University a possibility. So, that means trying to come up with the coursework that would meet the requirements for admission to a majority of colleges, but esp. the one you are hoping to get him into. Typically universities require the following credits for admission:

4 credits (years) = English (usually 1/2 literature, 1/2 writing, with a little grammar thrown in)

3-4 credits = Math (Alg. 1, Geometry, Alg. 2, a higher math requiring Alg. 2 as a pre-requisite)

3 credits = Science, with labs

2 credits = Social Studies (1 credit = American Hist., 1 credit = choice)

2 credits = Foreign Language (both years need to be the same language)

1 credit = Fine Arts

Of that list it sounds like you have accomplished the following:

English = NaNoWrMo for writing; grammar for years I think we call it quits

Math = Saxon Math up to 7/6, pre-Algebra with the "Keys To" series, and trying to get through Algebra (no where near done -- we've been at "Algebra" in one form or another for 2 years).

Science = assortment of Sonlight sciences, Biology using CK12 (almost done)

Social Studies = World History; US History (almost done)

Elective = some online computer stuff

I'm going to assume 3 things here, but if you could correct/add detail it would help a lot:

1. you also did some Sonlight reading that counts towards the Lit. portion of the English credit

2. your assortment of Sonlight sciences is enough to count as 1 credit (year) of Science

3. the online computer stuff is enough to count as 0.5 to 1 credit; also, depending on what exactly the "computer stuff" is, it *might* be able to count towards the Fine Arts credit...

If that is the case, then it looks like you have:

English = 2 credits ----> need 2 more credits

Math = 0.5 credit Algebra ----> need 2.5 more credits (do what you can to get up through Alg. 2)

Science = 2 credits ----> need 1 more credit

Social Studies = 2 credits ----> done!

Foreign Language = 0 credit ----> need 2 credits (do what you can to complete 2 credits)

Fine Arts = 0 credit ----> need 1 credit (do what you can to accomplish 1 credit)

Elective: Computer = 0.5 to 1 credit ----> since this is a field he is interested in and it is a desired tech field, I recommend trying to get 2 full credits for the transcript here

re: What to focus on ... no $$ for curriculum/outsourcing

You mentioned you are in NJ, and I checked, but, alas, NO free dual enrollment there. :(

Based on the above credit break-down of what you have/what you need, realistically, that looks like summer school this summer, and 2 years of high school:

summer school

complete Alg. 1

11th grade

English = 1 credit = Literature/Composition (reading/writing)

Math = 1 credit = Geometry

Foreign Language = 1 credit

Science = 1 credit

Elective: Computer = 0.5 to 1 credit

TOTAL = 4.5 to 5 credits

12th grade

English = 1 credit = Literature/Composition (reading/writing)

Math = 1 credit = Alg. 2

Foreign Language = 1 credit = choice

Fine Arts = 1 credit

Elective: Computer = 0.5 to 1 credit

TOTAL = 4.5 to 5 credits

This is a "lighter" schedule, which would leave your DS hours for either working and earning money, OR, volunteering/interning at the University's IT department -- especially if you schedule your homeschooling for 3 days a week.

re: Math

I hate to say it, BUT... it doesn't sound like Saxon is working for your DS. Saxon is abstract and due to the incremental steps being so spread out between lessons, it can be difficult to grasp for many students. If you can find it cheap, used, you might try switching to either MUS (the "lightest", gentlest of the high school math programs), or Teaching Textbooks (which really holds your hand for every problem). I suggest MUS first, because it comes with a video instruction for each week's lesson, and it is very visual, concrete, incremental, gentle, and can be completed in less than a school year.

If you absolutely HAVE to stick with Saxon due to costs (just be aware, that may bite you on time and frustration levels, and ultimately be a stumbling block to completing the needed math credits), there are the FREE math tutorials at Khan Academy or Online Math Learning, or CK-12 which may help explain concepts in a way that connects for your DS.

re: English

No need for any more grammar; focus on reading some classic works of literature, and on various types of writing. You can do the Lit. portion for free -- put together a list of books you want to cover, check them out of the library, use free online guides to prompt discussion, do a little writing on them.

Free Lit guides:

a. Sparknotes = www.sparknotes.com

b. Glencoe Literature Library = http://glencoe.com/s...ure/litlibrary/

c. Penguin = http://us.penguingro...hersguides.html

d. Pink Monkey = www.pinkmonkey.com

e. Schmoop = www.shmoop.com

For the writing, do a variety of types of writing. For essays from a prompt, consider doing a weekly timed essay from a past SAT prompt (free list of past prompts at Online Math Learning - scroll down on the webpage). A low-cost writing curriculum that covers a great variety of types of writing, including business writing, is Jensen's Format Writing; you can often find this even cheaper, used. Also, check out the FREE writing explanations and helps at OWL at Purdue.

re: Science

I would assume the various SL things you used would be considered "Physical Science". You're finishing up Biology with CK12; can you move on to CK12's Chemistry, Physics, or Astronomy? Is there a local Amateur Astronomy group that your DS could tag along with for night observations or help out with projects for "labs" if you go with Astronomy? There are also free science videos at Khan Academy, Online Math Learning, and another one that keeps getting mentioned, but I can't recall it at the moment...

Free science resources:

1. Bozeman Biology = http://www.youtube.c...emanbiology#p/p

2. Derek Owens Physics = http://www.youtube.c.../derekowens#p/a

3. GPB Education (Chemistry & Physics) = http://www.gpb.org/c...cs/students/all

4. Lone Star College (free animations, tutorials) = http://nhscience.lon...ol/animatio.htm

5. Khan Academy = www.khanacademy.org

re: Foreign Language

This is the tough one to fine a GOOD and free/low cost option. This is the one I would most recommend that if you can at ALL ask for help with financing, to do this one through dual enrollment, so that it will not only count towards the high school graduation / college admissions -- but will also count towards the foreign language requirement that any university program will have.

Hopefully someone else can jump in here with some ideas for you for other options.

re: Fine Arts

This may overlap with DS's computer interests. Creative Live has FREE streaming workshops that are repeated that night on their Facebook page. However, to view past classes you must pay for the download. They have had workshops on how to use Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, and other computer software dealing with image manipulation. -- Just this week Thurs-Sun is a 4-day all-day series on Photoshop; and then the following Mon-Tues is a 2-day all-day series on creating websites with WordPress. (here is the calendar). Free online tutorials in various computer topics = http://www.lausd.k12.ca.us/Jefferson_HS/lscomp.htm

What exactly is DS's interest in computers? If you post that, others can jump in with specific ideas. There are a lot of free options out there! :)

re: ideas of where to find free/low-cost

- Free online co-op classes: Virtual Homeschool Group = www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.org

- Contact the homeschool groups in your area and see if they can help with ideas, free curriculum, or sell used curriculum cheap...

- Contact Book Samaritan for help with free curriculum. (Usually you get what they have on hand, no choices.)

- Check the Classifieds Board here, or Homeschool Classifieds, and Amazon used for cheaper used options.

FREE Visuals: Tutorials, Videos, Podcasts, Documentaries

1. Khan Academy = www.khanacademy.org

2. Bright Storm = www.brightstorm.com

2. Learners TV = www.learnerstv.com

3. Annenberg Learner = www.learner.org

4. Top Documentary Films = http://topdocumentar...m/watch-online/

5. You Tube: search for specific instructors, subjects, tutorials, but also this Top 100 List:

http://www.onlinecol...s-for-teachers/

6. Creative Live (free live streaming classes) = www.creativelive.com

FREE Texts

1. Hippo Campus = www.hippocampus.org

2. Free High School Science Texts = http://www.fhsst.org/

3. Hoagies' Gifted Education = http://www.hoagiesgi...g/online_hs.htm

4. PASS (Parallel Alternative Strategies for Students)

http://www.pass.leon...ject Areas.aspx

FREE Books

1. Gutenberg Project = www.gutenberg.org

2. Book Boon (download free books) = www.bookboon.com

3. LibriVox (download free audio books) = librivox.org

:grouphug: Post again, with specifics, and let's see if we can help you get the ball rolling! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

PS -- ETA

AND, if you DON'T make it through the full list of required credits for college admissions -- don't worry! Your DS can work, and start off at the local Community College, take what is needed, maybe earn an AAS 2-year degree, gain a better idea of what it is he wants to do, and then transfer to the University to complete a BA.

That is a great option, too, and in many places it is much cheaper. There are also transfer scholarships he might be eligible for. And if he interns at the University's IT dept., enjoys it and hires on after high school, then he can take classes cheaper at the Univ. what with being a Univ. employee...

Just trying to help you see there are MANY options out there and ways of getting this accomplished! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

As far as the redshirting... if you have interest, you can search tags for "grade level" and find a lot of posts where people talk about what they've done/are doing with their kids. My state's cutoff is Sept 1. My son's birthday is end of August. If he stays on grade level, he'd graduate high school at 17. If we have him repeat a year, he'd graduate at 18 - a couple months before turning 19. When you hear (in those threads) about people who hold back kids who have summer birthdays, graduating a month or two after 19 doesn't sound like it's "too old".

Getting IT experience and possible letters of recommendation is huge.

Some comments...and I don't have any answers here... but I tend to view IT work as STEM type work to a large degree. My husband works in IT - started as helpdesk and now is more network admin. They just hired someone to work more helpdesk and they wanted a college degree (can be replaced with experience, but tougher to make the first cut for interviews without it). He talks about seeing people who have a "knack" for the work and a certain way of thinking. I think some types of math/science can lead towards that.

Has your son looked at job openings and what the minimum requirements are? Would that help motivate and get a plan that he takes more ownership of?

With math, the Interact software is currently free online. You can pick any of the texts and use the software as extra practice. I like Woodbury's Elementary and Intermediate Algebra. You can just use the software with topics matching up with your texts, but the Woodbury text should be available pretty cheap used (any editions are good).

Our library has a number of the Teaching Company courses. If yours has them, that could be a way to get some additional resources.

:grouphug:

No other real advice to add, but my ds will turn 19 at the beginning of his freshman year of college. He was not redshirted, just missed the July cutoff when he was in private school preK.

Also, if you dig around you can find a lot of good freebies online. Many of the new open sources classes can be used in part or whole. You really don't have to spend a fortune on high school.

My son is one year younger and we're in the same boat. Interesting in IT but floundering/ neglecting all STEM subjects. Still stuck in Algebra I. Not for want of my trying. I too feel like it's a big mess.

As far as his age, lots of kids are redshirted but I wouldn't let it get to the point where he is older than 19 and still not "graduated." Not because he couldn't attend college anywhere, but because there is a critical point where if a person doesn't gain the momentum to go to college, it is quickly lost. And by "college" I mean any higher level education, including part time and CC.

Trust me, there are a lot of kids far worse off than your son (and mine). I have a friend whose son recently graduated high school not knowing what a fraction is (simple fractions... like 3/4). It could be a lot worse.

Maybe you could consider having him try a couple CLEP exams. There are affordable, straight forward study guides and the tests are relatively inexpensive. This could give him some direction and if he passes, college credit. As far as the math, at this point I would focus on what is on the SAT/ ACT and test taking skills. If you can't afford a prep class then buy one of the study guides. I might even focus on that over Algebra I.

If you can arrange for him to work I think that would be fantastic.

But rest assured you are not alone. Not every kid is racing to the finish and burning through advanced classes.

Second: this is not a STEM type student at all.

Let me get this stuff out of the way: no $$ for curriculum/outsourcing (it's that or food really); public school is out of the question; and what he WANTS to do is WORK, he's interested in computer/IT path. I do have a plan for that actually; I want him to start volunteering time at my University's IT department (HUGE), get his face and work ethic known there so that down the road when they have even the smallest opening, he is already there. This *is* possible, I've talked to people in that department. This will open up the opportunity for higher education for him in this field...paid for.

Computer/IT is part of the technology and engineering in STEM. It would be good for him to work in your university's IT department to gain experience, possibly mentors and letters of recommendation. Regardless of whether he is interested in Computer hardware or software, it would be good to have a good math foundation. I've linked Holt's high school math books; algebra 1 & 2, geometry, precalculus in this thread (http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/457600-fyi-holt-science-math-textbooks-workbooks-pdf/) so if you don't mind california edition public school textbooks you can make use of them.

There are students redshirted here too so colleges won't think anything about being 19.

For foreign language, check your local library for Rosetta Stone subscriptions.

And if money is that tight, it might be worth looking into whether you qualify for SNAP. That could relieve the pressure a bit and give you more options.

OP, two of my sons will be 19 when they graduate. FWIW, I think you have plenty of time to move your son forward. Definitely complete algebra 1 this summer by using a free, outside source. Do you know of someone he can report to every Friday - with homework and questions? Maybe a student at your university? He needs to stay on a schedule and be accountable to something/someone other than you. ;)

I am always touched by posts like yours - you have shown great determination and courage in helping your son and others have responded with such wisdom and understanding.

Lori - I don't know you IRL, but I wish I did. I find you lovely and inspiring.

I want to thank you all for your replies and suggestions:

@Lori -- holy cow, you really are amazing! What you've put together is going to be a HUGE help and I can't thank you with enough words! Some of the things you've linked to I do actually know about and have! Thank you for the reminder to check out these valuable resources! You've shown me what it looks like I need to concentrate on, and I do think I have stuff laying around, or downloaded onto my computer to cover your suggestions; phew I feel so relieved. His "transcript" is fuller than I thought; especially when I can figure the computer courses (one I know was called "IT Basics" from Allison). Wanted mention also that I am not stuck on Saxon math at all! We've tried several Algebra programs (CK12, Khan, Abeka) and are currently using Holt Algebra which someone else suggested.

@Dana -- thank you for your suggestions, I will look into what our library has available for Teaching Company, although our system is pretty lame.

@butterflymommy -- CLEP exams, hmm...will look into this as well.

@Arcadia -- those textbooks are what we are currently trying, although I don't know if it's the California one; I actually have a hard copy of Holt Algebra I, passwords to get on and use the materials there; he is currently reviewing early chapters and testing out of what he can; once he cannot pass the tests for a chapter, we will pick up there and just keep plugging through.

@Ravin -- thanks for the suggestion on Rosetta Stone; our library is very lame, but I will check. I checked into SNAP once before and missed the income cut-off by $300.

I am so appreciative of all of your suggestions and encouragements. I am going to do some serious mapping out of what the summer and the next two years will comprise as far as his studies. I am SO relieved that he is not the only boy in the home school universe who will be 19 at graduation, even if by a bare 2 months. Really, that has been one of my biggest "embarrassments", having a kid who won't graduated till they are 19. Now that I know it's perfectly OK, I am not as scared as I was that we can accomplish a great education in the next 2 years or so.

~coffee~

For foreign language, my school district don't start until high school. They offer French, Japanese, Korean, Latin and Spanish and for two years to satisfy California requirements. So don't panic over foreign language.

See which language he would like to pick up and I'm pretty sure we can find free/cheap resources for you.

Also check your university's library. The university I went to have extramural foreign language courses for adult beginners so the library has foreign language curriculum for loan.

For foreign language, my school district don't start until high school. They offer French, Japanese, Korean, Latin and Spanish and for two years to satisfy California requirements. So don't panic over foreign language.

See which language he would like to pick up and I'm pretty sure we can find free/cheap resources for you.

Also check your university's library. The university I went to have extramural foreign language courses for adult beginners so the library has foreign language curriculum for loan.

I am pretty sure he would opt for Spanish. While that would not be MY first choice, I think that it's probably a necessity in today's day and age. My DD is interested in playing with a foreign language as well and I think she would choose French. I took French in High School (4 years) so I would naturally prefer they both do that as I can probably help to some extent. I can let her play with some of the free online stuff I've found (DuoLingo, and one whose name escapes me at the moment -- maybe Live Mocha) but I am not sure if those programs get far enough to count for high school? My library, again, being lame, does not subscribe to Mango!

My University: I work at a major teaching University/Hospital, so not really any options for it here! When I talked about having the University pay for education, I meant that they would pay for training related to anything he was doing IT wise, in order to better himself in that Department.

~coffee~

One weird suggestion for getting texts for cheap. One of our local colleges allows you to join their library for $25 a year. Check out all the books you want. Obviously this depends on your location, the school, the library, but this might be a cheap way to get him IT books.

Really, that has been one of my biggest "embarrassments", having a kid who won't graduated till they are 19. Now that I know it's perfectly OK, I am not as scared as I was that we can accomplish a great education in the next 2 years or so.

~coffee~

Fwiw, an elite all-boys school in my area has a March 31st cut-off date, no exceptions. Every single boy in this school with an April, May, or June birthday will be nineteen years old when they graduate high school.

Good luck to you and your son!

One weird suggestion for getting texts for cheap. One of our local colleges allows you to join their library for $25 a year. Check out all the books you want. Obviously this depends on your location, the school, the library, but this might be a cheap way to get him IT books.

Oh! You just reminded me that, although I am in a Philly suburb and a member of our local library, I am also a member of the Philly library. There are many more (FREE) options!!

OP, I hope you have access to something similar. Check out your closest city libraries.

Also - our school district is required to give us textbooks upon request. That may be another option.

Spanish MIT opencourseware http://ocw.mit.edu/c...-2003/index.htm

Purdue spanish grammar review

Collins Language Spanish (short pdf) http://www.collinsla...ble_spanish.pdf

BBC Learn Spanish page (lessons and revision)

SAT subject test sample (few questions)

ETA:

MIT opencourseware french http://ocw.mit.edu/c...-2004/index.htm

Collins Language French (short pdf)

English to French words for travel (11 page pdf)

re: Foreign Language

This is the tough one to fine a GOOD and free/low cost option. This is the one I would most recommend that if you can at ALL ask for help with financing, to do this one through dual enrollment, so that it will not only count towards the high school graduation / college admissions -- but will also count towards the foreign language requirement that any university program will have.

Hopefully someone else can jump in here with some ideas for you for other options.

If money was tight, I personally would spend more on math and use the library for foreign language. High school foreign language is not usually mastery, and very few kids can actually speak the language after 2 years. Year 1 is mostly vocab and year 2 is mostly realizing the grammar of languages differs.

Even if you are serious about a language, the most important component is dedication -- daily work and making the effort to figure out things you don't get.

Here's basically what my dd did for French 2:

1. Library resources such as Pimsleur every day. No, these aren't great for homeschoolers and are more designed for travelers, but if used daily and if the student makes the effort to figure out unknown things (google a translation on a word you never quite get, etc.), then it can advance your skills.

2. Some grammar work in year 2 can be done using Barron's, which is like $15 or less including the answer key in back. My kids used this for French: http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B004KAB870

This Barron's for Spanish has CDs: http://www.amazon.co...rds=spanish now

3. Some actual conversation and cultural exposure can be achieved online or in the library or at a local college. MFW lesson plans for Rosetta Stone are like $15 and include these kinds of additions all spelled out (could be used with things other than Rosetta). You can also watch Shrek in Spanish or listen to Spanish radio etc. My dd actually met with a French teacher at the end of the year and she concluded my dd had certainly passed French 2 using the above methods, and my dd took French 3 at the local public school without problem. (Level 3 is usually not required by colleges, but just showing that the above methods can work.)

Julie

P.S. I'm not totally sure that doing a foreign language in high school will be required by colleges, but it *could* mean that you don't need to pay for the foreign language in college, if your student is in a field that is not liberal arts. Liberal arts schools often require the foreign language in college anyways, unless your student tests out, which very few will do.

Coffee (Colombian): My DD was in a school where they had 2 years of Kindergarten. K4 and K5. She will probably be around 19 when she finishes 12th grade. I was 17 3/4 when I graduated in California and that may be on the young side. When DD was in pre school, there were 2 or 3 girls in her group who were held back, for another year in pre school. When DD was in her first school (she was there for K4, K5 and 1st grade), there were a number of students who were held back, to repeat a year. I remember one woman that we were friendly with (I was in a volunteer group with her) whose son had to repeat 1st grade. At the time, she was extremely unhappy about that (and the expense of paying for an extra year in a private school), but later she told me he changed completely and was doing much much better. When DD was in 1st grade, there was a least one kid in her group (a girl), who was repeating first grade. Possibly 2 or 3 kids were repeating First grade.

I am a retired Consulting Software Engineer. I don't know what interest your DS has in IT, but this is a STEM field. He needs to become as solid as is possible, with Algebra 1, so that he can progress with Math. Physics is more or less a requirement here.

If he should, eventually, want to go into Engineering, etc., he needs Math and Science.

Not because we live in Colombia, but I would suggest that Spanish is the most logical choice for a Foreign Language for someone in the USA. It opens doors, to job openings.

I had thought about suggesting the possibility of American School to you, but I know you are on an extremely tight budget (we are too), so that may or may not be a possibility for your DS.

Once your DS is a high school graduate, there are various I.R.S. Tax Credits, which will help financially, when he is in a Jr. College or University. Much good luck! Hang in there. My Lunch is on the table...

Good grief Lori, you should get paid for a post this thorough and helpful!

LOL!

Well, I had thought at one time of a "mentoring" service, but then I realized that homeschoolers don't have money to pay for that sort of thing. So, I look on it as a privilege to be able to help out those coming after, as I received SO much help from those who went before me. :)

At this point, most of my long posts are just "cut and paste" compilations of previous posts. ;)

I wanted to say as much too, without being discouraging; you said it better.

My husband is an IT engineer (among other things not in his pay grade, lol); his degrees are in physics and engineering. Strong math skills are a requirement and a strong understanding of physics a must, according to him. A child who doesn't ENJOY science and math, may burn out quickly. When my husband occasionally brings work home, I'm amazed at the amount of math involved (I'm so NOT a math person).

Coffee (Colombian): My DD was in a school where they had 2 years of Kindergarten. K4 and K5. She will probably be around 19 when she finishes 12th grade. I was 17 3/4 when I graduated in California and that may be on the young side. When DD was in pre school, there were 2 or 3 girls in her group who were held back, for another year in pre school. When DD was in her first school (she was there for K4, K5 and 1st grade), there were a number of students who were held back, to repeat a year. I remember one woman that we were friendly with (I was in a volunteer group with her) whose son had to repeat 1st grade. At the time, she was extremely unhappy about that (and the expense of paying for an extra year in a private school), but later she told me he changed completely and was doing much much better. When DD was in 1st grade, there was a least one kid in her group (a girl), who was repeating first grade. Possibly 2 or 3 kids were repeating First grade.

I am a retired Consulting Software Engineer. I don't know what interest your DS has in IT, but this is a STEM field. He needs to become as solid as is possible, with Algebra 1, so that he can progress with Math. Physics is more or less a requirement here.

If he should, eventually, want to go into Engineering, etc., he needs Math and Science.

Not because we live in Colombia, but I would suggest that Spanish is the most logical choice for a Foreign Language for someone in the USA. It opens doors, to job openings.

I had thought about suggesting the possibility of American School to you, but I know you are on an extremely tight budget (we are too), so that may or may not be a possibility for your DS.

Once your DS is a high school graduate, there are various I.R.S. Tax Credits, which will help financially, when he is in a Jr. College or University. Much good luck! Hang in there. My Lunch is on the table...

Looks like you've landed on Holt for Algebra but there are a few supplementary resources I would also recommend.

• Have you seen the math videos associated with the Holt book online? They are under the Homework Help section for each chapter and are, for the most part, the same as the Thinkwell videos for the most part.

• Another free video resource is the Udacity - College Algebra course. While this covers more than Alg. I, it starts at a very basic level and builds up conceptually very slowly.

• Many of the Derek Owens videos are available for free on Youtube.

I wanted to say as much too, without being discouraging; you said it better.

My husband is an IT engineer (among other things not in his pay grade, lol); his degrees are in physics and engineering. Strong math skills are a requirement and a strong understanding of physics a must, according to him. A child who doesn't ENJOY science and math, may burn out quickly. When my husband occasionally brings work home, I'm amazed at the amount of math involved (I'm so NOT a math person).

THIS! Thank you. Yes, without being very strong, in Math and Science, he would have an incredibly difficult time, trying to survive, in an Engineering school. Computer Science is probably the same. Possibly there are watered down IT courses, in the School of Business, that don't require much Math or Science, but comparing them to a degree from the School of Engineering is like comparing Apples and Oranges.

And, yet, most of the time, the Math, when I did Assembly Language programming, for government projects, was all zeros and ones. That said, in a room I shared with 4 or 5 other people, 2 or 3 of them had an M.S. in Math.....

Physics and a love for making new technology work properly.

He must become 100% solid with Algebra 1, or he will not be successful with more advanced math and certainly not in an engineering profession.

Universities have many former engineering students, who are now majoring in something less difficult.

OT: The M.D. who did my LASIK surgeries, in 1997, had gone to Harvard or M.I.T., to study Lasers, because she was one of the pioneering scientists with the LASIK procedure. Doctors need a lot of Math and Science now, too.

This is AimeeM's husband, and she has asked that I reply here ... which may be a mistake! :closedeyes:

Just a little background, I am an IT Engineer, for over 20 years, background and degrees in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, Business & Medicine.

The first questions I have is what is the root driving factor for a non-STEM centric student to want to pursue a STEM career/higher-education? This is pretty rare in my experience. There are children that are inclined to technology, but they tend to also be STEM students. I have never encountered a student who was not engrossed in some aspect of Science, Technology and Mathematics that wanted to be an IT engineer. It would be like me, who is definitely wired for numbers, to want to become a translator at the UN. Probably isn't going to happen as I have a very hard time with languages.

So I think a simple question as to what the driving factor is would be practical. Sometimes kids just like to tinker with their home computers, swap boards, hard drives, perform basic upgrades - that's great - but doesn't necessarily allow one to succeed as an IT engineer. In the past there were many like this, but today our industry is hiring people with 4-6 year IT/STEM degrees into entry level positions for $40k - just the economy being what it is. So if he's not inclined to be a A/B student in STEM courses chances are the job market will be pretty tough for him also.

Just some observations for further discussion and clarification.

- Tony

This is AimeeM's husband, and she has asked that I reply here ... which may be a mistake! :closedeyes:

Just a little background, I am an IT Engineer, for over 20 years, background and degrees in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, Business & Medicine.

The first questions I have is what is the root driving factor for a non-STEM centric student to want to pursue a STEM career/higher-education? This is pretty rare in my experience. There are children that are inclined to technology, but they tend to also be STEM students. I have never encountered a student who was not engrossed in some aspect of Science, Technology and Mathematics that wanted to be an IT engineer. It would be like me, who is definitely wired for numbers, to want to become a translator at the UN. Probably isn't going to happen as I have a very hard time with languages.

So I think a simple question as to what the driving factor is would be practical. Sometimes kids just like to tinker with their home computers, swap boards, hard drives, perform basic upgrades - that's great - but doesn't necessarily allow one to succeed as an IT engineer. In the past there were many like this, but today our industry is hiring people with 4-6 year IT/STEM degrees into entry level positions for $40k - just the economy being what it is. So if he's not inclined to be a A/B student in STEM courses chances are the job market will be pretty tough for him also.

Just some observations for further discussion and clarification.

- Tony

@Tony Not a mistake for you to include this information! Very important to the discussion!

OK, IMHO, it may be because he "wants to follow in your footsteps". That could be disastrous, if he is not a STEM student and he isn't truly interested in the work done by STEM graduates.

I wonder if you could arrange for him to take some aptitude tests, that might suggest which careers he is interested in and has the skills for? Career counseling. Possibly in a local university counseling or testing center. If he will answer the questions on the tests honestly, they will point him in the right direction(s).

There is a huge difference, as you well know, between Software Engineering and Business Data Processing, or what I call "IT". But even if he went into Business Data Processing, I suspect he would go for a Computer Science degree, and that also is heavy with Math and Physics.

And, yes, if he graduates with a lower G.P.A., that will limit the job offers he might receive. It would be very tough for him to get that first position, with a lower G.P.A. And a school like TTU eliminates those who are weak, during their Freshman year, and they *must* switch out of the School of Engineering into another School. That is very clear and up front on the web site of the Engineering School.

If you look at the requirements to get into the School of Engineering at TTU, or, at the university you graduated from, he is going to probably need 4 years of Math, 4 years of Science, 4 years of English, and several years of a Foreign Language, to be considered for admission.

Oh. I just remembered something, from our sad personal experience. I have a Stepson. When he graduated from high school (they finish in the 11th grade here) he applied for a slot in the Medical School of the Public (best) university in Cali. Had he been accepted, my wife would have gone there and explained to them that they had made a horrible mistake. Our next door neighbors were M.D.s (husband and wife) and he liked the house they lived in and their pool.... Then, he decided to go into a Computer Science course (2 or 3 years, I forget), in a private school here, that is very well regarded, but nowhere near as rigorous as a university. One of the next door neighbor's sons, and the son of their maid, had chosen Computer Science. I could not understand, why someone who had no interest in computers would choose that. The only thing I can think of was that he did it because of the neighbors kids, who he was (and is) friendly with, even today, or, because I had worked with computers. He didn't do well there, fooled around instead of studying.

Then, my SIL got him a slot in a program in the Public university where she lives (generally those are the best ones here in Colombia), in a 2 or 3 year program in Computer Science or something. Well, he hung out at the Medical school. As I recall, the Dean of the Engineering school, or the person in charge of the program he was enrolled in called my SIL and told her he was not suited for that program. Those were the last schools we paid for him to attend.

Tony, I was simply astonished, that he was studying something he had no interest or talent for.

His interests and his talents, are really in Graphic Design and other things that have NOTHING to do with Engineering.

When we tried to encourage him, to do something he has talent for (I remember when he was about 14 or 15 he liked to sketch naked women and he was very good at that), he would lose interest, immediately, probably because we encouraged it.

I am writing to you about my Stepson, because I now fear that your DS may want to follow in your footsteps, because he thinks it is a good thing to do, or, is a good career, when his talents may be totally in another direction.

My stepson is great with kids. He would have been a good Educator, but when we mentioned that to him, it was no go.

So, again, I would suggest career counseling and career testing. He is very young, and it is very hard to select a career. Hopefully, he will choose one that he has talent for *and* that he enjoys. HTH & GL!

ETA: I just remembered that where we lived before, there was another neighbor who had a son who was a C.S. major, in a Private university. Another influence on my stepson. I helped that young man, a few times, with some of his studies, and I wondered why on earth they were teaching something that only an Academic would use. Never, would someone in industry use that kind of stuff. So, there were 3 neighbors who went into C.S. and my Stepson probably thought that was a good field to go into. One of the 3, the son of the doctors, eventually went to a Private medical school and he is now an M.D. I think he completed one year of the C.S. career. Normally, a university career here (Professional) is a 5 year (10 semesters) course.

(I'm not the OP, lol)

- Tony (AimeeM)

@Tony Not a mistake for you to include this information! Very important to the discussion!

OK, IMHO, it may be because he "wants to follow in your footsteps". That could be disastrous, if he is not a STEM student and he isn't truly interested in the work done by STEM graduates.

I wonder if you could arrange for him to take some aptitude tests, that might suggest which careers he is interested in and has the skills for? Career counseling. Possibly in a local university counseling or testing center. If he will answer the questions on the tests honestly, they will point him in the right direction(s).

There is a huge difference, as you well know, between Software Engineering and Business Data Processing, or what I call "IT". But even if he went into Business Data Processing, I suspect he would go for a Computer Science degree, and that also is heavy with Math and Physics.

And, yes, if he graduates with a lower G.P.A., that will limit the job offers he might receive. It would be very tough for him to get that first position, with a lower G.P.A. And a school like TTU eliminates those who are weak, during their Freshman year, and they *must* switch out of the School of Engineering into another School. That is very clear and up front on the web site of the Engineering School.

If you look at the requirements to get into the School of Engineering at TTU, or, at the university you graduated from, he is going to probably need 4 years of Math, 4 years of Science, 4 years of English, and several years of a Foreign Language, to be considered for admission.

Oh. I just remembered something, from our sad personal experience. I have a Stepson. When he graduated from high school (they finish in the 11th grade here) he applied for a slot in the Medical School of the Public (best) university in Cali. Had he been accepted, my wife would have gone there and explained to them that they had made a horrible mistake. Our next door neighbors were M.D.s (husband and wife) and he liked the house they lived in and their pool.... Then, he decided to go into a Computer Science course (2 or 3 years, I forget), in a private school here, that is very well regarded, but nowhere near as rigorous as a university. One of the next door neighbor's sons, and the son of their maid, had chosen Computer Science. I could not understand, why someone who had no interest in computers would choose that. The only thing I can think of was that he did it because of the neighbors kids, who he was (and is) friendly with, even today, or, because I had worked with computers. He didn't do well there, fooled around instead of studying.

Then, my SIL got him a slot in a program in the Public university where she lives (generally those are the best ones here in Colombia), in a 2 or 3 year program in Computer Science or something. Well, he hung out at the Medical school. As I recall, the Dean of the Engineering school, or the person in charge of the program he was enrolled in called my SIL and told her he was not suited for that program. Those were the last schools we paid for him to attend.

Tony, I was simply astonished, that he was studying something he had no interest or talent for.

His interests and his talents, are really in Graphic Design and other things that have NOTHING to do with Engineering.

When we tried to encourage him, to do something he has talent for (I remember when he was about 14 or 15 he liked to sketch naked women and he was very good at that), he would lose interest, immediately, probably because we encouraged it.

I am writing to you about my Stepson, because I now fear that your DS may want to follow in your footsteps, because he thinks it is a good thing to do, or, is a good career, when his talents may be totally in another direction.

My stepson is great with kids. He would have been a good Educator, but when we mentioned that to him, it was no go.

So, again, I would suggest career counseling and career testing. He is very young, and it is very hard to select a career. Hopefully, he will choose one that he has talent for *and* that he enjoys. HTH & GL!

OP, are you certain that your child doesn't have some sort of maths learning disability? It's called dyscalculia and if your son wants to pursue education beyond high school, your son will require a diagnosis from a neuropsychologist to receive accommodations in college.

At this stage, maybe look at consumer math and the text titled Basic College Math by Lials. Good luck...

(I'm not the OP, lol)

- Tony (AimeeM)

Eek... Yes. I see that AimeeM is not the OP now! I'm very tired and I forgot that. Still, hopefully some of my last post will apply to the OP and her DS. I apologize for the error!

The part about "following in your footsteps" isn't applicable, but hopefully the part about career testing, career counseling, etc., will be.

:grouphug: Lanny, and thank you for your vulnerability and graciousness in sharing your stepson's experiences. How very painful! I hope stepson is now finding his way in what is of interest to him and where his gifting is... Warmest regards, Lori D.

Eek... Yes. I see that AimeeM is not the OP now! I'm very tired and I forgot that. Still, hopefully some of my last post will apply to the OP and her DS. I apologize for the error!

The part about "following in your footsteps" isn't applicable, but hopefully the part about career testing, career counseling, etc., will be.

It was great advice, not matter who it applies to! For some children it's obvious where they lean (in terms of interests and abilities), for others it isn't.

I also agree with a previous poster who mentioned learning disabilities. It could be that the OP's son has an aptitude he doesn't know he has, because it's being masked by a disability, and once that is accounted for, things can progress more easily.

Wow, these most recent posts are a lot to digest. So let me see if I can answer the issues that have been brought up.

Lanny -- he does not want to be an engineer; he wants to join the IT Department at the Uni/Hosp where I work in order to SEE what opportunities are available and where is interests may lie in the great big computer world. We simply cannot afford any type of college and getting into the workforce seems the best option for him right now. There seems to be a lot of chance to learn and grow in said department. I just want his foot in the door.

Tony: I think the above might cover your concerns as well; again, I didn't say he wanted to be an engineer. I've seen the types of positions that they have in this department and I *know* that not everyone there has all these fancy degrees. Perhaps I am using "IT" the wrong way, but our guys are "Jeff IT" and do a wide variety of things for this huge campus.

Heathermomster and Aimee: I seriously doubt there is learning disbability going on here. There are life reasons why I feel he should be further along and graduating sooner; by that I mean that there have been HUGE gaps of time when school took a back seat. If I had been more diligent, more dedicated, and more on top of these gaps (time, not learning gaps) he wouldn't still be on Algebra. The other problem is that I *can't* help him when he gets stuck -- I have zero math aptitude. And I can't afford to pay for classes, tutors, etc. I've always just tried to find "a better math book". Sigh. I hope that makes sense. Pretty confident there's no learning disability though.

I can certainly check into testing to see what career he is suitable for. I just know he does have an interest in computers, that we can't afford college, and that there are opportunities for him if he can get his foot in the door at Jefferson.

You all HAVE given me a lot to think about, and I appreciate it so very incredibly much. There are things that are out of my control (paying for college) and I see getting him in at my institution as a way to perhaps pursue some kind of degree if that's what it turns out he wants -- tuition free! I don't have a college degree and while money is tight right now, I have always been able to provide a roof over our heads, food on our table, and clothes on our backs. Times are tight for many people, I am better off than some if I really, really think about it.

Again, thank you all! I will probably make a few spin-off posts from here as I check out the many suggestion made here for different subjects! You guys are awesome!

~coffee~

. I've seen the types of positions that they have in this department and I *know* that not everyone there has all these fancy degrees. Perhaps I am using "IT" the wrong way, but our guys are "Jeff IT" and do a wide variety of things for this huge campus.

I worked in my university computer centre while doing my engineering undergrad and earn pretty good pay. I've done from frontend to backend. PM me if you want to discuss.

Another possibility is working part-time at Best Buy or shops like Central Computers. If he works at Best Buy setting up and transferring data for customer's new laptops, or answering customers queries on laptops, tablets, modems, printers, it could be a way of finding his interest.

:grouphug: Lanny, and thank you for your vulnerability and graciousness in sharing your stepson's experiences. How very painful! I hope stepson is now finding his way in what is of interest to him and where his gifting is... Warmest regards, Lori D.

Lori D: Thank you for your very kind words. I'm sure that my stepson is not the only person who had abilities and talents that he should have taken advantage of, career wise, but didn't. That is probably very common. He has suffered from this, but he is OK. Gentle hugs to you from Colombia!

Coffee - not sure I can add too much to the discussion in the way of curriculum suggestions (Although my daughter really, really wants to tutor math, so if I knew anything at all about technology I could probably think of a way to connect them via the internets....) but I did want to say that I know quite a few kids that are following the path your son seems to be on, even if you have happened upon it inadvertently. Around here many kids just start taking CC classes one at a time and slowly transition to college while exploring career options. I actually can't think of a better way for your son to follow this path than to get a position in your Uni's IT department and start exploring his options a class at a time --- for free! Wonderful!

Lanny -- he does not want to be an engineer; he wants to join the IT Department at the Uni/Hosp where I work in order to SEE what opportunities are available and where is interests may lie in the great big computer world. We simply cannot afford any type of college and getting into the workforce seems the best option for him right now. There seems to be a lot of chance to learn and grow in said department. I just want his foot in the door.

Tony: I think the above might cover your concerns as well; again, I didn't say he wanted to be an engineer. I've seen the types of positions that they have in this department and I *know* that not everyone there has all these fancy degrees. Perhaps I am using "IT" the wrong way, but our guys are "Jeff IT" and do a wide variety of things for this huge campus.

I can certainly check into testing to see what career he is suitable for. I just know he does have an interest in computers, that we can't afford college, and that there are opportunities for him if he can get his foot in the door at Jefferson.

~coffee~

Coffee: I cut part of your post out of the above text that is quoted. Starting with the first paragraph: IMHO, if he works in the IT Department where you work, and, then, he likes it and he wants to advance there, he is almost certainly going to be involved in a STEM career, if he is on the technical side.

I completely understand your financial situation, regarding university expenses, and I would like to bring up something, that may help your DS, a lot. The U.S. Military services have a wonderful

program for enlisted people. It is offered to them, during the first or second week of Basic Training. I forget the exact numbers, but if the people contribute $100 per month, for 12 months (total contribution is about $1200), when they are released with an Honorable Discharge, they have approximately $30,000 in Educational benefits available to them.

Also, within the Military, there are wonderful technical schools and opportunities for education. So, possibly that is something for you and your DS to consider, as a possible option to working in the IT Dept. of the hospital where you work. The military encourages people to continue their educations and provides great opportunities for people who want to learn and advance.

You wrote that he has an interest in computers, and as Tony wrote yesterday, that can range from being able to install a Hard Drive to writing extremely technical types of software. The later is truly STEM work. There are things like working on the "Help Desk" in a big IT organization, supporting Hardware and Software for the users, but if one is involved with writing software, network or systems administration, that gets technical, quickly.

Again, if you can arrange for him to have a battery of aptitude tests/career counseling, I think that would help you and your DS try to figure out different opportunities that might be available to him. If he is qualified, and interested, the military might offer him tremendous opportunities.

I think it is very difficult (but far from impossible), for someone to study, after not studying for some time, so if there is continuity, after he graduates from high school, with him studying, he won't get out of the habit of doing it. If he begins working in the IT Dept. of your hospital, hopefully, he can take 1 or 2 classes, at night, so he continues studying. Much good luck to him and to you!

SMART scholarships and other "work reimbursement" scholarships

Some medical and science/tech/engineering companies will pay for your tuition in exchange for you committing to work for them during and/or after graduation for a specified period of time.

SMART Scholarships are for students in STEM fields who, upon college graduation, work for the U.S. Department of Defense as civilian research scientists or engineers in exchange for tuition monies. The scholarships are awarded to students at many different schools.

Merit vs. Need Scholarships

The vast majority of scholarships offered in college financial aid packages are EITHER merit-based (academics, high GPA, high test scores, AP classes, etc.), OR need-based (low income). Financial Need is given to low income families, typically with an annual income below $40,000 per year.

- Pell Grants = U.S. Department of Education money distributed through individual institutions; NOT a loan; does not need to be paid back; amount awarded varies with amount of need.

- Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG) = Federal money given to individual colleges to award as the college sees fit to students in need; NOT a loan; does NOT need to be paid back; amount awarded varies with amount of need; awarded in addition to Pell Grants.

- College Work Study = Federal monies given to individual institutions to provide 12-15 hours

week of work for students with financial need; once the student has earned the award amount,

the employment ends for that year;. Make application to the college's financial aid office; award

is based solely on financial need. Work study does not reduce the student's financial aid

eligibility. Work study money is not a loan and is not paid back.

Check with the university, or community college or technical institute if DS goes that route first, for the rules re: work study, and see what scholarships might be available for low income, and especially if DS would be the first in the family to be going to college and getting a degree.

You might also look into a technical school, such as ITT Tech, and see if there is an IT program for a 2-year degree that your DS would be interested in. ITT Tech also has Federal Pell Grant and Work Study monies for financial assistance.

BEST of luck in the career exploration once you get the rest of high school settled! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Let me get this stuff out of the way: no $$ for curriculum/outsourcing

I have an extensive list of free online resources that you might find helpful. If you PM your email address to me, I'll be glad to send it to you. It's very comprehensive & includes most, if not all, subject areas.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that this can be very helpful. One of my brothers was making good money as a croupier when he was in his twenties. He hadn't completed a degree. He wanted to get out of 'crouping' but had no idea about direction. He went and took out several books from the library that had personality tests in them. Every one of them told him to be a computer programmer. Finally he submitted and trained during the day whilst still working nights.

Thirty years later: it's been a good career. It hasn't always been thrilling, but it does suit his personality. And he's not working through the night surrounded by semi-gangsters.

Laura