Menu

British class structure

Laura Corin

A while back there was a thread that got confused about definitions of social class in the UK and the US. I thought that some might be interested in this quiz for new class definitions in the UK.

Please note: these are sociological classes used by government/marketers to design services/target customers. This has nothing to do with whether someone is 'classy' or 'has class'.

If you want to plug your own figures in, I don't think you would be far wrong if you plugged in dollar numbers in place of pound numbers. The pound is worth a lot more than the dollar, but the cost of living is much higher too. In general, I tend to see things in the States costing about the same in dollar numbers as the same items cost in pound numbers in the UK.

Please note also: I don't defend these definitions - I just find them interesting.

Laura

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a good number of homeschoolers will find themselves in the "elite" category or close to it. Homeschoolers tend to be more interested in culture and learning than most other people.

It's a shame the poll put "wealthy" and "classy" together. I know plenty of people who are on tight budgets but still enjoy things that are beautiful.

Yes indeed, but that's about 'being classy' not sociological class.

Laura

I disagree. Wealth is socio-economic status, which is entirely different to class. Class has more to do with values and social environment, especially growing up. Then again, I come from a third (English speaking) culture, different yet again from both the US and the UK.

I disagree. Wealth is socio-economic status, which is entirely different to class. Class has more to do with values and social environment, especially growing up. Then again, I come from a third (English speaking) culture, different yet again from both the US and the UK.

I think that this is somewhat the point. In the UK, 'sociological class' is a combination of economics and other factors. Perhaps in the US (and maybe other countries) this is different. Wikipedia gives the definition for the survey I linked to as:

Class as a multi-dimensional construct was defined and measured according to the amount and kind of economic, cultural, and social capital reported.

Laura

Well, that was interesting. I qualified as elite, but I know people in a wide variety of people in many jobs; Han Solo's godfather is a lawyer, several of our good friends have PhD's, several are doctors and nurses. I'm not sure why that matters. We also go to lots of cultural activities. I studied English and theater in college and James Bond studied music, specifically opera performance, so we love stuff like that. I can see where that would help, I guess, but it made me laugh to be "elite." I'm going to make myself an aristocrat! You may now call me Lady High Heels. :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5:

It tells me we are established middle class, which is where I would consider myself in American terms as well. We're not wealthy (well below six figure income) but we own a home, have college/advanced degrees, are building up retirement savings, are interested in literature, arts, education in general. We socialize with a wide variety of people, but definitely don't swim in the top circles.

I think a good number of homeschoolers will find themselves in the "elite" category or close to it. Homeschoolers tend to be more interested in culture and learning than most other people.

It's a shame the poll put "wealthy" and "classy" together. I know plenty of people who are on tight budgets but still enjoy things that are beautiful.

I think it's funny that you say that. Maybe these boards woud have a large number of those in the "elite" category, but IRL non of the homeschoolers I know would fit in that category. I think even in the US geography plays a large part in it.

But what about the British "old money" types who lose all their money and have to move out of their castle? Or all the supposedly higher class people who don't have much money to meet their expenses? The fact that they don't work, can't pay for much, and yet come from some supposedly better stock whose ancestors were wealthy means they are still upper class and respectable.

But what about the British "old money" types who lose all their money and have to move out of their castle? Or all the supposedly higher class people who don't have much money to meet their expenses? The fact that they don't work, can't pay for much, and yet come from some supposedly better stock whose ancestors were wealthy means they are still upper class and respectable.

Yes, I don't think the survey works for those people (a very small group in numerical terms). I just keyed in a moderate income and moderate house with moderate savings but clicked on all the most prestigious social contacts and activities and I came out 'established middle class'.

Laura

I ended up elite. I don't really get it. We aren't wealthy nor do we run in any prestigious circles. We don't come from money nor do we have a lot of it. I just don't get what the point is. I know that sounds snarky, I don't mean it to be. I'm just an ignoramus here. Can someone enlighten me? I understand that my kids have more opportunity because of what we can provide them, both financially & culturally, but beyond that... ?

I understand that my kids have more opportunity because of what we can provide them, both financially & culturally, but beyond that... ?

That's it. It's a measure of both financial and social capital.

As an example: currently, I am working as an administrator and Husband is unemployed. If you looked at us simply as a financial unit, then we would be fairly disadvantaged. We have social capital, however: nous about how to save money; contacts that might lead to another well-paying job, etc.

Laura

I think the ratings of who you socialize with are skewed in a small town. There simply are not the same strata compared to where I grew up. My parents really didn't know anyone outside of church, work and the closest neighbors. We know a much wider range of people because there aren't the distinct neighborhoods that are found in a city.

I live in a rural suburb yet only 12 miles from a major city-center. I can't imagine not easily knowing & socializing with people of all those occupations. Just in our church, at least 1/2 the occupations were represented.

That's it. It's a measure of both financial and social capital.

As an example: currently, I am working as an administrator and Husband is unemployed. If you looked at us simply as a financial unit, then we would be fairly disadvantaged. We have social capital, however: nous about how to save money; contacts that might lead to another well-paying job, etc.

Laura

OK. I guess I do get it then. :D

As far as one's financial state with unemployment & such - that just seems so possibly temporary (yes, I know it can be longterm as well). Seems like one's class can potentially change quite often.

Apparently I am elite. I now demand you guys treat me with more respect. You should bow down to me and constantly remind me of how smart I am.

You may carry on for now. I'll ring when I need you.

I would but I'm elite too. We'll have to stomp around on the backs of the middles sometime today. :laugh:

I tried 3 times and changed some variables like our savings, who we socialize with, and activities and all 3 times I get technical middle class. I just can't cut a break. No elite for me. :)

Perhaps you can hang with me, I'm a new affluent worker, don't know what the means exactly, but there it is.

I am wearing my Oxford University hoodie today. I bought it at a garage sale, but I feel smarter when I wear it.

Apparently I am elite. I now demand you guys treat me with more respect. You should bow down to me and constantly remind me of how smart I am.

You may carry on for now. I'll ring when I need you.

I would but I'm elite too. We'll have to stomp around on the backs of the middles sometime today. :laugh:

I'm elite. When do I move into Downton?

Perhaps I should have you ladies over for tea and crumpets at High Heels Manor? We could talk about those dreadful middle class people and how they are trying to hard to join our ranks. Honestly, the nerve. Don't forget to wear a hat, gloves and heels!

BTW, check out the quote in my siggy. It's been there for ages. It's like I knew!

Perhaps I should have you ladies over for tea and crumpets at High Heels Manor? We could talk about those dreadful middle class people and how they are trying to hard to join our ranks. Honestly, the nerve. Don't forget to wear a hat, gloves and heels!

BTW, check out the quote in my siggy. It's been there for ages. It's like I knew!

Will there be booze in the tea? High quality booze of course.

I'm elite but I think the survey must not be so accurate for the US. I promise I am not elite. I feel uncomfortable and awkward around "the elite." My family of origin is definitely middle class and it would be generous to call many of my extended family working class. We have some family members who are absolutely elite too...I think it is just more fluid in the US. All of us middles, lowers, and elites, get together for holidays and family events and mingle comfortably. I've never lived in the UK, but I'm just guessing so many of us don't feel we scored appropriately because it's different here.

"Technical Middle Class"-a "small, distinct, and prosperous new class group." Alas, not an elite, LOL.

I think it was skewed by the fact that we don't hang out socially with most of the types of employees listed, but my scientist DH and I hang out with other science people a good bit.

The BBC survey puts my family under Elite but since we are old wealth it kind of skew the results. By income alone we would have been middle class.

Do elite people have to shampoo their own carpets & wash their own windows?

My windows are washed by professionals (hired by HOA) because of my condo's HOA. I do not know anyone who have shampoo their own carpets successful, all rather pay up for professionals after their own failed attempt.

Do elite people have to shampoo their own carpets & wash their own windows? Yes, I guess they do. But should they? [foot stomp] It's not fair!

I shouldn't have to fold my own laundry! Where are my hired minions?!?!

It tells me we are established middle class, which is where I would consider myself in American terms as well. We're not wealthy (well below six figure income) but we own a home, have college/advanced degrees, are building up retirement savings, are interested in literature, arts, education in general. We socialize with a wide variety of people, but definitely don't swim in the top circles.

This is our family, as well.

(Stay Classy, Hive)

Did the "visit stately homes" mean as a guest or like just touring them as a member of the paying public?

I'd like to know if it includes breaking and entering into stately homes... :laugh:

Can I become more elite if I break into some of those houses on Lake Michigane tomorrow? The Chicagoans won't be back for 2 more months anyways.