Menu

British class structure

Laura Corin

Nope, "artisan" farming is very fashionable in certain circles these days. There are lots of yuppies dabbling in keeping chickens, bees, even goats.

*ahem* Um, yes. "Artisan" farming -- that's what we'll call it. A la Green Acres. It was very classy mud we had, after all....

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An Australian dialect word equivalent to the British 'chav' and the American 'white trash,' but without being synonymous.

Ah, thanks, sug! We'uns were afeelin' a bit uncertain thar. Your expeditious erudition has done enlightened the darkness of our igerance. I thankee.

:biggrinjester:

*ahem* Um, yes. "Artisan" farming -- that's what we'll call it. A la Green Acres. It was very classy mud we had, after all....

I thought about this thread today when I ran across a mention of the new Modern Farmer magazine that is being started by a former editor of the New York Times style magazine. $7.99 per issue and they'll be selling it, natch, at Whole Foods. :tongue_smilie:

"Rural" 12 miles from a city center is a HUGE difference from *actually* rural. We are an hour from anything bigger than Walmart and we don't get commuters to big cities. The nearest city to us has ~100k people, at most, and that's 1.5 hours away. And i have friends living elsewhwre that are 4-8 hours away from the nearest place you can consider a small city. You're talking about different worlds.

and your rural would not even be considered rural hear. I am 100 km form the nearest large town (over 10K) and where the closest decent shopping centre is. I live about 3 km from a village that has around 200 people the nearest town is 20 minutes drive and has 2000 people. and I am only on the edge of rural.