Menu

Um, does anyone here NOT shop at Aldis or Walmart for groceries?

Guest inoubliable

I've had it, and it's not particularly gamey IF it's cooked right. The recipe I had called for it to be slow cooked, very slowly low temp cooked for several hours with onion and garlic. It was then pulled apart and placed in a crockpot with some homemade barbecue sauce. We ate it over mashed potatoes with several veggies on the side. It was not gamey. But, I was told that it can be very strong if cooked at higher temps over a shorter period of time without some strong herbs or onion.

I used to can venison. It was chunked, browned in olive oil, placed in the jars with drippings and a large slice of onion, and then pressure canned. This took the game flavor right out of it. I am not fond of venison any other way.

The bear I ate came from an unfortunate, stubborn black bear that absolutely refused to stay out of my dear cousin's back yard, despite numerous attempts by the DNR to move it back to some deep range country. It eventually decided to get really obnoxious by staying up too close for safety to the house and then sealed it's demise by attempting to, well, get too close and personal with her five year old grand daughter. It met it's end on the wrong end of her husband's hunting rifle. We were all sad about it, but it was really becoming very unsafe and just would.not.stay.away. despite their best efforts to make their yard unappealing for bear. They think that possibly it was a cub that had gotten separated from it's mother or maybe the mom was killed and people in the area were unwise and fed it which made it lose it's fear of people and when the twinkies, ho-ho's, and granola bars stopped being available, became intrusive in it's search for people food. Either way, she couldn't let it continue. We still have pictures of him. He was a very cute bear! :crying:

Faith

My understanding is that bear meat is highly dependent on what that bear has been ingesting. If you ate a bear that filled up on sweets and human food it makes sense it was less gamey then a bear who has been eating a more traditional bear diet.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't shop at either Aldi or WalMart. We also don't shop at Trader Joe's - we don't get the attraction to that store at all! We have a Whole Foods and maybe go in there a couple of times a year.

Regular shopping is at Lowe's Foods or Harris Teeter. During the summer we shop at two different farm stands and at local farmer's markets. For farmer's markets, we are within 20 minutes of three different small markets and within 30 minutes of the state farmer's market.

We don't have Aldi's here and I haven't shopped in a Wal-Mart in several years. We used to get most of our fruit and veggies from a CSA but it's so expensive and is quite a drive for us every week. We now just shop at the Publix that is 1.5 miles down the road. When I'm just picking up a few things, which is most days, I just walk so it makes no sense for me to drive the half hour to the closest farmer's market (which is rather expensive anyway). I used to try to go to Whole Foods for chicken and beef but, again, the drive (hour round trip) just makes it ridiculous.

My understanding is that bear meat is highly dependent on what that bear has been ingesting. If you ate a bear that filled up on sweets and human food it makes sense it was less gamey then a bear who has been eating a more traditional bear diet.

Bears eating Twinkies taste better? That's got to be a FIRST! :D

Being new to the area I'm shopping at major retailers because they are easy to find, and close to home. I will expand on that when farmers markets start opening up and I find new things out about the area. I do hit SAMs club once a month for bulk items because we currently have two families in one home to the tune of 15 people.

I don't like Aldi's, it has always seemed to me to have low-quality meat and produce, though I've sometimes bought dry goods there. I don't grocery shop at Walmart either.

I go to a local butcher when I can, but they only get each type of meat once a week, so I supplement with meat and fish from a local, employee-owned grocery chain. Usually I get my produce there too, but in the warmer months I also go to the farmer's market.

Bears eating Twinkies taste better? That's got to be a FIRST! :D

My twinkies comment was tongue in cheek. We don't actually know what it had been eating. We were only guessing as to why it had become so unafraid of humans and well, frankly, we've seen tourists toss junk food to wild animals before so it seemed plausible that it was on the hunt for some. However, we do not really know exactly what it's situation was.

Twinkie fed bear, corn fed deer....I would call this typical Michigan "wild" food! :biggrinjester: From the size of the possums around here, I'd guess they have been hopped up on pop tarts, milky way bars, and Big Gulp Coca Colas from 7-11!!!

Faith

Tongue and cheek...we don't really know what it had been eating, just guessing possibly people had fed it. I've seen tourists toss chewing gum to squirrels before in the state parks so......just a bit of comic relief.

Faith

And incidentally, my local Kroger pays cashiers and stock people minimum wage (less than $8 /hr) and make them have totally irregular, unpredictable hours, according to a neighbor of mine who recently stopped working there. Another local big box store pays $2 more an hour. The mother of a friend of my kids, works there. The local fancy, schmancy, expensive store (local chain) offered someone I know an asst manager job for $8/hr. The last time I was at Aldi's, I saw a sign that they were hiring and paid cashiers about $10.50/hr. I know someone else who works at Trader Joe's and earns a nice living. I don't know anyone who works at Walmart or Target but there appear to be a lot of employees in my local Target who have various health conditions or handicaps (for lack of a better word), both physical and intellectual, and I have been pleased to see that.

I factor employee treatment into my equation about where to shop. It's not always the case that "fancy" stores pay well or that discount shops are exploitative.

We don't have an Aldi's or a Walmart Supercenter and I don't shop at the low-cost markets here (Grocery Outlet and FoodMaxx) except when my DH was unemployed. They have a terrible selection and are super-crowded with a mostly immigrant crowd.

I mostly shop at Trader Joe's, Safeway, and Target. I go to Whole Foods only for stuff I can't find at one of the others.

I don't shop at Walmart. Period.

The closest Aldi's is 45+ minutes away.

I shop at chain grocery stores (ShopRite, Pathmark, SuperFresh, Acme), at Costco, at the local natural foods store (TJ and Whole Foods are 30 minutes away), and at the organic farmers' market held in the parking lot of the natural foods store Sundays from the beginning of May to the end of November.

We actually do have a butcher in our town, third generation, but I don't shop there now. Once we're down to one kid at home next year I will start shopping there!

No Aldi's near here and Walmart is too far away. We buy meat locally, produce from co-op, bulk foods from co-op or Mennonite store when we are in Pa. Trader Joe's for raw cheese and some healthier alternative frozen pizza and other snacks like nuts.

TJs has some things we like, such as nut butters, certain cheeses, nitrite/nitrate free hotdogs are a little cheaper. My local TJs seem to have issues with fresh meats; when I was in a different state, no problem, but here here they have been iffy more than a few times! Organic dairy is also a bit more affordable at TJs, and they have a lot of hormone free, non organic dairy for reasonable prices. It is not a place we shop weekly, but we do swing in. It is really close to our local WFs, so that helps.

We shop at WFs, Costco (coleman organics), our local farm sells raw, tested dairy and pastured meat and eggs. We also hit Giant and Shoprite. There are certain things that are cheaper at each store, so we do a mix, but not every store every week!

I shop at walmart about 1x a year. I like Aldi's hummus; that's about the only thing I've really liked from there.

Guest inoubliable

We don't have an Aldi's or a Walmart Supercenter and I don't shop at the low-cost markets here (Grocery Outlet and FoodMaxx) except when my DH was unemployed. They have a terrible selection and are super-crowded with a mostly immigrant crowd.

I mostly shop at Trader Joe's, Safeway, and Target. I go to Whole Foods only for stuff I can't find at one of the others.

I like our FoodMaxx! Well. I mean, where else am I going to find jackfruit?? LOL. It's the only thing I get there, though. Ours seems to be nice.

I shop anywhere and everywhere, LOL. I love love love when I can shop at local farms, dairies, and markets, and we have a fantastic variety here (it's one of my favorite things about our area); it is very important to me to support our local small businesses when possible. Unfortunately, between the economic downturn which hit my DH's industry very, very hard, and the increase in prices, I am just not able to pay the extra to get the best very often. I normally shop at a large chain grocery store, buying things on sale, and I supplement with smaller trips to local businesses occasionally. I've also recently discovered the joys of Aldi. I do occasionally shop at WalMart, but the ones near us are either the small, not-much-food ones or they're right next to the big chain grocery store that I like (and which gives me gas discount points; I'm good at only buying what I actually need, not stuff I don't need, just for the gas discount points, so it works out well for me). And then, tbh, there's also the time and gas cost issues -- I don't live near to much at all, so going to several places in a day is tiring, because we combine errands. And when I have to be in one town once a week, I can't always justify the gas cost to go down to the Aldi/SuperWalMart/cute little local shop with good meat just to save a couple of dollars. (And WM doesn't seem to beat the big chain store's sale prices, and it's never the pleasant experience that the big chain store is, for some reason.)

Now, produce season is coming, and we'll buy a lot of fresh seasonal produce from the local farm stand that is around the corner. I am looking forward to that!

ETA: We do not have a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods near here at all. We do have a few independent health food stores, and I shop at them occasionally, but their prices generally make WF look like Aldi's. ;)

ETA also: DH hasn't had time to hunt since we moved here, but people have given us many pounds of venison a few times. One friend gave us a large portion of a hog he raised. We were so grateful for all of that! We love buying in bulk, but it's not always possible, and it made our day to receive such gifts. (Someone also trapped some muskrats and gave a bunch to DH. He cooked it up for himself and the kids; it smelled good, but I couldn't bring myself to try it, even for free.)

See, I said I shop anywhere and everywhere. I do have preferences, but most often, cost and convenience win out.

Guest inoubliable

Anyone use Amazon for some groceries?

We get our demerara sugar there in bulk. Also our basmati rice, veggie pasta, vegan bouillian cubes, a few other things. We just can't find that stuff here and the bulk price is nice. We usually do the subscribe and save option.

I have to confess that I don't understand the cult following for Trader Joe'ss, either.

Does anyone else shop primarily through a local butcher or farmer? Given the recent threads here on food, and how many here took the time to watch any of the food documentaries recommended, I'm wondering if anyone stopped shopping at Walmart or Aldis and is now looking into local food.

Sadly, not everyone has a local butcher or farmer. We have neither. My Walmart and Publix both sell local produce. Walmart, Aldi, and Publix all sell organic too.

I shop at Shop Rite mostly.

Me too! :001_smile:

I have within 15/30 minutes - two Walmarts, a Target, 4 different ShopRites, a Stop and Shop, a PathMark, two different A&P SuperFresh markets, and an Aldi's.

I've never shopped at Aldi's and I don't buy food at Walmart. I'll only get food at Target if I'm there for other things and I just need one or two items.

We don't have the storage to buy 1/2 a cow, and there's only Farmer's Markets selling actual food from June through October. We started doing a pretty big garden last year that gave us quite a bit of tomatoes, squash, zucchini, cucumbers. I"m hoping this year we can can enough to get through December at least.

There is a Trader Joes about 30 minutes away that I've been to once, and a Whole Foods about 30 minutes the opposite way that I've been to once.

Guest inoubliable

Sadly, not everyone has a local butcher or farmer. We have neither. My Walmart and Publix both sell local produce. Walmart, Aldi, and Publix all sell organic too.

I'm just now realizing this. This makes me sad. My area has slim pickings but to have nothing at all? :(

I buy milk, beef, and pork sausage from local farms. I buy Newmans, packaged bread, and other select items at Walmart. I buy a bunch of stuff at a monthly whole/organic food co-op, including the bulk of our produce. Some items I purchase at the grocery store (Shaws or Hannafords are our regional groceries).

We grow a good sized garden in the summer and freeze a lot. We also can our own jellies, pickles, and relish. This fall we'll have our own lamb in the freezer, too.

What local butcher?

Yes, I could buy meat from a farmer - if I take half a cow. I don't need half a cow, and I have nowhere to store it.

I live in Missouri. It snowed this week. No local farmer has any crop before May.

This is our situation as well.

We have no Aldi, one Walmart and one over-priced local store with a poor selection. I shop Walmart because I'd have to go there anyway.

I prefer Price Chopper or Hy-Vee (regional maybe?) but there are none in our area.

Walmart is cheaper and as I've told dh before, you want to eat one good meal that has to last you 3 days or eat 3 meals a day.

I buy a few specialty items through amazon -- coconut oil, coconut and almond flours, and stevia -- because they have the best prices on smaller portions (and because free shipping means I don't have to drive to one of the expensive health food stores).

I buy organic sugar, beans, rice, and flours there for the same reasons.

Guest inoubliable

I buy organic sugar, beans, rice, and flours there for the same reasons.

I just started looking there for beans. Any links? I've never tried dried beans in a bag - but I want to! I HATE having to find room for cans and I can't stand how the beans in cans taste now that I've tried "real" beans at a friend's house. I wish I'd thought to check their prices on Bob's Red Mill flours before I bought some at our local grocery store.

I have to confess that I don't understand the cult following for Trader Joe'ss, either.

Does anyone else shop primarily through a local butcher or farmer? Given the recent threads here on food, and how many here took the time to watch any of the food documentaries recommended, I'm wondering if anyone stopped shopping at Walmart or Aldis and is now looking into local food.

We shop TJ's sometimes (when we are near, which is not often) but mostly at a normal grocery store. We don't shop at WM or Aldi much at all (maybe a couple of times a year). I don't know of any local butchers. We do shop a local farm stand for fruit and veggies, but it is only open seasonally.

I shop at our local Food Basket (locally owned) for the main groceries, HEB for things FB doesn't have, and Trader Joe's for fun stuff and my Uncle Sam's cereal. Frequency and order of visits in that order. FB is 1/2 mile from our house. HEB is on a very frequently traveled errand loop. TJ's is out of the way for me, so I only go when I or DDs absolutely MUST have their olive baguette, or some other yummy treat is deserved. If I go any more often I eat too many of their goodies and my dietary choices are all shot to heck.

And you don't know what a diet-buster is until you try a spoonful of Cookie Butter.... Or chocolate mochi. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm...........................

No Walmart groceries for me. FB has better meats/poultry for a better price, HEB has better fish/seafood, and Walmart is as far away as TJ's.

We kind of did the opposite. I used to shop local meat, produce via a local CSA (and still do when it is available for produce!) but our budget changed drastically. When I left my job to have my son, we lost half of our income. We have since shopped at Harris Teeter for most things, got eggs from my in-laws (they raise chickens) and sometimes got local meats when they were cheap.

Once I re-discovered ALDI, and realized that our budget went much, much further (Even with organic fruits/veggies!), I am a convert. I am in and out of the store with my toddler in 15 minutes with a week of groceries for $40. I definitely couldn't do that at Harris Teeter or via local fresh meats alone.

ETA: In the Summer, we grow most of our own produce now, too. Even better than buying locally, IMO :)

We also LOVE Trader Joe's. The products are amazing, there are no preservatives in any of them- and they are FUN.

I just started looking there for beans. Any links? I've never tried dried beans in a bag - but I want to! I HATE having to find room for cans and I can't stand how the beans in cans taste now that I've tried "real" beans at a friend's house. I wish I'd thought to check their prices on Bob's Red Mill flours before I bought some at our local grocery store.

Rancho Gordo beans are delish! They may be cheaper elsewhere, but here is a link on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Rancho-Gordo-Heirloom-Bean-Sampler/dp/B005KDJEJK

here you go maybe if you are in florida...

http://www.eatwild.c...ts/florida.html Yes. I've checked here before. Nothing near me. We also don't eat a lot of beef so there's no way I'm going to buy half a cow even if they were close by.

http://homegrowncoop.org/ This is Orlando. I don't live in Orlando.

http://www.pickyouro...eastcentral.htm Many of these aren't even in business anymore. Also, most of the Pick Your Own places around here are limited to one item. Pick your own blueberries, strawberries, etc. Not pick your own whatever-you-need.

http://www.coopdirec...ory.htm#Florida None of these are close to me except the store in Cape Canaveral. It's been there for years and is nothing to write home about. The aisles are mostly full of "natural" remedies for what ails you. There's some food, but nothing great.

some places to start :)

our csa has several drops all over our state, some times even if a farm is not in your county can can still get it locally.

I have looked many times over the years, for something close to me. There is no CSA here. There are several organic co-ops, but the OP mentioned local food. Most of the food from the co-ops comes from all over the world. I've used a few, then decided if I want to buy organic grapes from Chile, I can get them at Publix.

Guest inoubliable

I never considered shopping at Wal-Mart to be a cult following.

Me neither. I said that about Trader Joe's. I guess I could have thrown Whole Foods in there, too.

Guest inoubliable

What is Aldi's like? Trader Joes type of store?

Uh, not any that I've ever seen. They're more like... the produce that Walmart couldn't sell and the boxed stuff that the Dollar General couldn't sell. IME, anyway.

Absolutely no to Walmart for me

We are able to purchase local foods for much of the year. I have a CSA with one farmer that runs from April to July; another in the fall. One of my area farmers has a hoop house so I can buy local lettuce in the winter as well as a variety of cool weather crops like kale and roots. We also eat seafood from Carolina waters which I purchase from two local fishmongers. And I have a butcher from whom I buy chicken. (I don't eat mammal.)

I buy some staples from a food co-op; a few things from a traditional grocer. I also have access to an Asian market.

I rarely buy fruits or vegetables out of season. We have recently had a few winter strawberries, but will indulge ourselves when local berries are available. I pick gallons of them. I buy a bushel of sweet potatoes in the fall. My eggs are from a local farm.

Guest inoubliable

I have looked many times over the years, for something close to me. There is no CSA here. There are several organic co-ops, but the OP mentioned local food. Most of the food from the co-ops comes from all over the world. I've used a few, then decided if I want to buy organic grapes from Chile, I can get them at Publix.

I wish we had a CSA here. :(

Organic grapes from Chile. *snort* Isn't that just the funniest? Last year here, there were organic cucumbers available. From Mexico. Pass.

I do my best shopping price wise at Kroger

Our Kroger store here is called King Soopers and the majority of their stuff is higher prices (some quite a bit higher priced) than Wal-Mart. We don't have an Aldi's. I've never even seen one.

We also eat seafood from Carolina waters which I purchase from two local fishmongers.

We do have a local fishmonger and I love to buy from them. They actually own a fishing fleet, a restaurant, and a few stores. It's one of the few fresh, local, foods I can get.

We have recently had a few winter strawberries,

LOL! Strawberries are a winter fruit here. In fact, they are just about at the tail end of peak now. If we want strawberries in the summer we have to buy California strawberries (that seems to be the only place our local stores get them from).

I refuse to step foot in Wal-Mart. One came to my small town where I lived through middle/high school and LOTS of people I knew got jobs there. It's standard practice to hire lots of people and work them jusssssst short of full time, so they don't have to give them benefits and pay them rock bottom wages. Then they work them like dogs and don't give a rats arse about their scheduling needs. Add to that that most everything they sell was made using the worst kinds of slave labor. ADD TO THAT, that it wasn't long after they came to town that many family owned businesses had to close b/c people would rather shop at Wal-mart because it's cheap.

I've seen documentaries and news articles that mirrror my experiences.

IMO, that cheapness comes with a price that is paid by other people and I refuse to support that. If we hit hard times, I would eat organic/local beans and rice every day before I would ever consider shopping at Wal-mart.

We have farmers markets, and I shop at Trader Joes, Wegmans, MOMS organic market and Whole Foods. The employees at these stores are always happy b/c they make decent wages and treated like valued employees. Whole Foods is consistently voted as one of the better companies to work for. They pay well and give nice benefits, not to mention the food is high quality, free trade, etc. I'm willing to pay a bit more for that and make sacrifices elsewhere.

I wish we had a CSA here. :(

There was a woman who tried to get one going a few years ago but it never got off the ground. I don't think she got enough people to buy shares. :(

Organic grapes from Chile. *snort* Isn't that just the funniest? Last year here, there were organic cucumbers available. From Mexico. Pass.

Yep.

LOL! Strawberries are a winter fruit here. In fact, they are just about at the tail end of peak now. If we want strawberries in the summer we have to buy California strawberries (that seems to be the only place our local stores get them from).

I'm sure that there are lovely California strawberries but the ones shipped to the East coast have no scent. They may be pretty but they don't smell like strawberries!

And incidentally, my local Kroger pays cashiers and stock people minimum wage (less than $8 /hr) and make them have totally irregular, unpredictable hours, according to a neighbor of mine who recently stopped working there. Another local big box store pays $2 more an hour. The mother of a friend of my kids, works there. The local fancy, schmancy, expensive store (local chain) offered someone I know an asst manager job for $8/hr. The last time I was at Aldi's, I saw a sign that they were hiring and paid cashiers about $10.50/hr. I know someone else who works at Trader Joe's and earns a nice living. I don't know anyone who works at Walmart or Target but there appear to be a lot of employees in my local Target who have various health conditions or handicaps (for lack of a better word), both physical and intellectual, and I have been pleased to see that.

I factor employee treatment into my equation about where to shop. It's not always the case that "fancy" stores pay well or that discount shops are exploitative.

My daughter works at Wal-Mart. She worked one month at King Soopers (Kroger) and they didn't treat any of their employees well at all. They also pay less than Wal-Mart does. She just started at Wal-Mart at the end of January and she is already working with 2-3 people who were at King Soopers when she was there. They left due to bad treatment and low wages. King Soopers also runs down Wal-Mart during their orientation. It really turned my daughter off to KS.