Menu

FOX news...

Ok... today's baseball's trading deadline. So I'm looking all over the TV for info on the deals that went down. ESPN has basketball and the xgames and some other nonsense... so I jump to the news channels. I stop on FOX because the crawl at the bottom said something about Ken Griffey Jr. and I'm treated to Sean Hannity.

Oh. My. God.

Does anyone really listen to this channel and think they're the least bit unbiased? He was ripping into Obama and pretty much making it up as he went along. Cutting off the Obama supporter and letting former Sen. Rick Santorum say whatever he wanted.

I'm locking this channel out on the parental controls. There's just no point in watching this nonsense even by mistake.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my brief time on this earth, I've found that anyone/anything that needs to tell me that it/he/she is fair and balanced probably isn't.

I'm so disgusted with the incivility of public discourse in this country--and it's on both sides. (How sad--that I can even describe public discourse in terms of "sides," and that there are essentially only TWO that make all the noise.)

Raise a glass to a little more civility and empathy all around! Cheers! :001_smile:

Leila

I knew I couldn't be the only sane person in America! ;)

We had cable for 6 weeks before I thought I would have to take blood pressure meds for trying to watch dinner time news on Fox.

Two nights in a row they had strippers fuzzed out while gyrating on a pole at 5:15 in the evening.

Are you kidding me?

We're at war, people are dying, starving and Lord knows what else, yet all they can talk about is some strippers or Britney Spears??????

Biased?

I assume you are being fecicious.......

Suffice it to say, we had our cable shut off and the world is a much happier place.

For us, at least~

Dawanna

If I'm ever up for torture, just put me in a room with diarrhea-of-the-mouth Sean Hannity or Bill O'Reilly.

I'll gladly kill myself!

In my brief time on this earth, I've found that anyone/anything that needs to tell me that it/he/she is fair and balanced probably isn't.

I'm so disgusted with the incivility of public discourse in this country--and it's on both sides. (How sad--that I can even describe public discourse in terms of "sides," and that there are essentially only TWO that make all the noise.)

Raise a glass to a little more civility and empathy all around! Cheers! :001_smile:

Leila

:iagree:Unfortunately my dh lives and breathes this rhetoric and is mad our dish network doesnt get more channels.

That is why I am on the boards in the evening. Sweet escape.

Jet

Does anyone really listen to this channel and think they're the least bit unbiased?

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I watch their show sometimes and I like the fact that they're at least open about their biases and not trying to pretend that they don't have any.

I'm not a sports fan at all, so I'd be just as happy to block the sports channels. :p

I don't think Hannity tries to be unbiased. He is very much a conservative and you will know that when you listen to him. Colmes on the other hand is liberal.

I love that show!

Well said, and pretty dang brave to admit given the posts that went before. :001_smile:

Now, my question is, Can we all just get along and have a nice little DEBATE and still be friends in the morning? That's all I ask. Is it too much?? What happened to "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"?

Why the name calling? Why must we view each other as evil? Why must pro-lifers (of which I most definitely am one, by the way) refer to pro-choicers as "pro-death"? Do you honestly believe that the pro-choice camp is pro-DEATH? Is anyone?? Why must pro-choicers refer to pro-lifers as anti-choice? Do you honestly think that people oppose abortion because they oppose CHOICES?

C'mon, people: If you really care about what you believe and want to convince others of the veracity of that belief, then treat others as intelligent, thoughtful life forms.

OK. Whew. I'm all better now. Thank you so much for letting me spew! I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.... ;)

Yikes! I just read my own post. Please understand that I was using the generic "you understood," as in "you humans." Not anyone in particular, and certainly no one who has responded to this thread. YKWIM? I guess I really mean WE! :001_smile: In fact, I'm constantly amazed at the civility on these boards. It gives me hope, people.

Cheers! :001_smile:

C'mon, people: If you really care about what you believe and want to convince others of the veracity of that belief, then treat others as intelligent, thoughtful life forms.

Well said!

Isn't that why we're raising kids who can debate intelligently?

I hope you can see the sarcasm in my post above~

Dawanna;)

Ok... today's baseball's trading deadline. So I'm looking all over the TV for info on the deals that went down. ESPN has basketball and the xgames and some other nonsense... so I jump to the news channels. I stop on FOX because the crawl at the bottom said something about Ken Griffey Jr. and I'm treated to Sean Hannity.

Oh. My. God.

Does anyone really listen to this channel and think they're the least bit unbiased? He was ripping into Obama and pretty much making it up as he went along. Cutting off the Obama supporter and letting former Sen. Rick Santorum say whatever he wanted.

I'm locking this channel out on the parental controls. There's just no point in watching this nonsense even by mistake.

The channel doesn't claim that their opinion guys (i.e. Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, etc.) are unbiased. They are very open about their position and biases. When the channel says "fair and balanced," they are referring to the reporters and anchors, who report news. That doesn't necessarily mean that a bias doesn't sometimes come through the reporting sometimes, though. It's sort of like The New York Times-- they are open about their positions and biases in the opinion section, but their bias is also (more subtly) evident in some of the stories they run. To me, Fox News is a conservative counterpoint to most other news sources that are decidedly liberal. Just as the liberal media claims to be objective and conservatives dispute that, Fox News does the same, and liberals dispute that.

Erica

I was just reading a book last week that was talking about newspapers in England in the late 1600s (it was fiction, but I thought this very appropriate).

It says that the "lulls people into thinking they understand Matters of State. And a more foolish notion can scarcely be imagined, it being obvious that the reader is only informed of what the writer wishes him to know, and is thus seduced into believing almost anything. Such liberties do nothing but convert the grubby hacksters who produce these tracts into men of influence, so that they strut around as though they were gentlemen of quality. "

If we only relied on any of the news channels to actually tell us facts, without any slant at all, I think we'd all be in big trouble.

ETA: The book was An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears. Great book!

Oh. My. God.

Does anyone really listen to this channel and think they're the least bit unbiased?

Is it the bias that bothers you, or the fact that it's conservative bias? Would you be okay with a news channel that's biased to the left?

Are you wanting to practice censorship? I'm assuming since you were offended, that you are liberal. I thought liberals were very tolerant of others.

As one other said, I don't know anyone who isn't biased (I'm not sure how to do 2 quotes, sorry!). I believe it's called having an opinion and freedom of speech. It's great we live in a country where we can turn on the TV and find all kinds of opinions.

Is it the bias that bothers you, or the fact that it's conservative bias? Would you be okay with a news channel that's biased to the left?

Are you wanting to practice censorship? I'm assuming since you were offended, that you are liberal. I thought liberals were very tolerant of others.

As one other said, I don't know anyone who isn't biased (I'm not sure how to do 2 quotes, sorry!). I believe it's called having an opinion and freedom of speech. It's great we live in a country where we can turn on the TV and find all kinds of opinions.

Oh, I am HORRIBLY offended when liberals act like Sean Hannity. And yep, I'm sure glad I can turn them of immediately. It just makes me sad that drivel-spouting idiots from either side own the day in this country.

Tim Russert, we hardly knew ye.

ETA: "Offended" was the wrong word. I'm not offended that people act like idiots, only saddened and angered. I don't even remember the last time that I was offended, actually.

Well said, and pretty dang brave to admit given the posts that went before. :001_smile:

Now, my question is, Can we all just get along and have a nice little DEBATE and still be friends in the morning? That's all I ask. Is it too much?? What happened to "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"?

Why the name calling? Why must we view each other as evil? Why must pro-lifers (of which I most definitely am one, by the way) refer to pro-choicers as "pro-death"? Do you honestly believe that the pro-choice camp is pro-DEATH? Is anyone?? Why must pro-choicers refer to pro-lifers as anti-choice? Do you honestly think that people oppose abortion because they oppose CHOICES?

OK. Whew. I'm all better now. Thank you so much for letting me spew! I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.... ;)

Since you quoted me.. was the rest of this past the first sentence to me also? lol I'm a little confused.

I look at it this way... everyone has an opinion and it does NOT offend me in the least what side you are on. I really like Hannity and Colmes because you hear both sides of the fence. I listen to both sides then come to my own conclusion on politics. :) (FWIW, never seen the strippers on Hannity and Colmes so don't know what she is referring to. I'm just saying I like the show in general.)

I'm conservative and don't like FOX.

Can't STAND Hannity --blech.

I'm more of a Walter Williams kinda gal. ;)

and I think i almost cried

the day... Tony Snow died.

we were singing, bye, bye ......

wait --wrong forum! sorry.....:tongue_smilie:

I kinda like going to the liberal-biased news sites and see what they are railing against. It's much more fun to pick it apart myself than let some other wacko do it ;)

But yeah, I coulda written Phred's post about any number of liberal sites/stations --cutting off callers, spouting hate-drivel based on outrageous nonsense, reporting nothing but opinion.....

it happens on both sides.

Oh. My. God.

Coming in to say that I do like this show. I think the "Fair and Balanced" means they are representing two views. They openly call themselves the Liberal and the Conservative. I learn something new when I have the time to watch, which isn't too often lately. However, the talking on top of one another gets me like nails on a chalkboard. Can't stand it, never will.:tongue_smilie:

Oh you're so right. Hardball with Chris Matthews or the show that Dan Abrams does -- now THEY are unbiased. Yep. And Keith Olberman??? Well, I guess you'd never know where he stands politically since he bends over backwards to be fair...

Gimme a break.

Hannity, while admittedly obnoxious, is one half of a show that is supposed to represent both sides. He doesn't claim to be unbiased; he is paid to be the conservative side of the show. Alan Colmes (who is out this week; Kirsten Powers was in for him last night) is the liberal side. That's what makes it balanced; both sides are represented. Just like MSNBC.....yeah, right.

Oh you're so right. Hardball with Chris Matthews or the show that Dan Abrams does -- now THEY are unbiased. Yep. And Keith Olberman??? Well, I guess you'd never know where he stands politically since he bends over backwards to be fair...

Gimme a break.

Hannity, while admittedly obnoxious, is one half of a show that is supposed to represent both sides. He doesn't claim to be unbiased; he is paid to be the conservative side of the show. Alan Colmes (who is out this week; Kirsten Powers was in for him last night) is the liberal side. That's what makes it balanced; both sides are represented. Just like MSNBC.....yeah, right.

:iagree:

TV's come with a handy little device called an "OFF" button, or a channel changer.

:iagree:

TV's come with a handy little device called an "OFF" button, or a channel changer.

True, and Phred said that he was going to block Fox News because he didn't think Hannity was fair and balanced.

My point is that Hannity & Colmes isn't a news show; it's a political debate show. To watch it and expect either Hannity or Colmes to be anything other than they are (biased) would be like going to a pancake house and complaining about their lousy omelettes. :glare: If you want news and not political debate, H&C is not the show to watch. That is all.

Oh. My. God.

You were watching a News analysis program which will in course include opinions. As for fair and balanced, let's just say that we conservatives have been dealing with mainstream media left leaning news for 30 years and it's finally nice that we now have an alternative. Still, I'm not so closeminded to insert parental controls for MSNbc or CNN.

My point is that Hannity & Colmes isn't a news show; it's a political debate show. To watch it and expect either Hannity or Colmes to be anything other than they are (biased) would be like going to a pancake house and complaining about their lousy omelettes. :glare: If you want news and not political debate, H&C is not the show to watch. That is all.

I understood that. And, I apologize for being snarky. H&C is intended for political debate. My husband loves those kinds of shows, no matter what station they're on. He watches H&C, and he used to watch Crossfire on CNN (although I'm not sure if that's on anymore). He watches all of the news stations---MSNBC, Fox, CNN, etc. We've never found a need to block any of those channels. He enjoys the challenge, even if it comes from a different perspective than his own.

Me---I tend to get tired of the constant political debates on TV; the friction gets to me after a while. But, what doesn't work for some works for others.

I understood that. And, I apologize for being snarky. H&C is intended for political debate. My husband loves those kinds of shows, no matter what station they're on. He watches H&C, and he used to watch Crossfire on CNN (although I'm not sure if that's on anymore). He watches all of the news stations---MSNBC, Fox, CNN, etc. We've never found a need to block any of those channels. He enjoys the challenge, even if it comes from a different perspective than his own.

Me---I tend to get tired of the constant political debates on TV; the friction gets to me after a while. But, what doesn't work for some works for others.

Oh I don't think you were snarky at all! No worries.

I'm with your dh; I watch FOX, CNN, and MSNBC. I like getting my news from all 3 of them; and I really like hearing the different political sides (I'm a political junkie, just like your dh from the sounds of it!) :D I wouldn't dream of blocking MSNBC, even though I disagree with Keith Olberman more than anybody else on planet earth. ;)

I don't think Hannity tries to be unbiased. He is very much a conservative and you will know that when you listen to him. Colmes on the other hand is liberal.

I love that show!

What I like about Fox News is that it is informative. I can hear (on XM rsdio as we don't have cable TV) the different guest and their opinions thus I can decide based on what they said about the issues being discussed. I also like the interaction between the hosts such as Hanitty & Colmes and Fox & Friends just to name a few.

By the way, if it gets to be too much focused on one topic and beating a dead horse (which all the stations do from time to time), I can just, "Turn it off!"

Gimme a break.

:iagree:, but I like a little dose of Hannity once in a while. His Freedom Concerts that he puts on in support of The Freedom Alliance are wonderful. The Freedom Alliance is an organization that helps children of our fallen soldiers go to college.

True, and Phred said that he was going to block Fox News because he didn't think Hannity was fair and balanced.

:iagree:Fox news makes it very clear that Hannity & Colmes is a political debate show and not a news show.

Then, there is always CNN. Their fair and balanced political debate pannel is comprised of 3 liberals and 1 moderate conservative.

Oh I don't think you were snarky at all! No worries.

I'm with your dh; I watch FOX, CNN, and MSNBC. I like getting my news from all 3 of them; and I really like hearing the different political sides (I'm a political junkie, just like your dh from the sounds of it!) :D I wouldn't dream of blocking MSNBC, even though I disagree with Keith Olberman more than anybody else on planet earth. ;)

a political junkie. He reads just about any news magazine he can get his hands on, watches all the stations, etc. He's very well-informed, but of course he has his own political opinion, too! He loves the debate. I like it sometimes, but then my head starts to hurt from the arguing. He's able to just brush it off much more easily than I can! He's an exceptionally easy-going person, so someone has to just about punch him in the face for him to get upset. He just rolls with everything.

My apologies were for my general tone of snarkiness to you or Phred or anyone. We haven't felt a need to block any of these channels, but of course someone else can, if it bothers them. To me, it's just as easy to turn it off or change the channel. :)

I wrote that opening post in haste. It's not the bias that bothers me. I know who and what Hannity is. It's how he presents half-baked opinion as fact. It's how he cuts off discourse with the opposing side. It's basically the intolerance of the existence of another opinion. Once again last night I was treated to the misleading statement that "we're at war because of 9/11." The war we're in because of 9/11 isn't in Iraq. The conflation of the two is still being put forth by the conservative media in this country and it sickens me.

Because we're sick to death of him! :D

Maybe someone out there can get him to cut his hair!

Astrid (Red Sox Fan)

They can have him... although you guys are gonna miss him. I'm a lifelong Cubs fan. Go Cubbies!

I missed this thread yesterday because I was caught up in baseball trading deadline news too! I knew I liked ya, Phred.... how do you think Torre will deal with "Manny being Manny"? :001_huh:

It's gonna be interesting... but he's got Nomar out there too so maybe there's a calming influence.

Oh. My. God.

The whole point of Hannity & Colmes is that one represents the conservative point of view (Hannity) and one represents the liberal p.o.v. (Colmes). THAT is how Fox is "fair and balanced." It is an opinion piece. As far as the journalism - the reporting of news stories - NOT a particular op ed piece, but the news, that is the "fair and balanced" part.

[sorry if I'm repeating what someone else previously posted.]

I think very few people actually think that FOX is "fair and balanced". I think that particular tag line is meant as an in your FACE kinda thang. Watching MSNBC or CNN or PBS or NBC or CBS or ABC leaves me with some of the same feelings you have when you watch FOX.

Do these people even recognize their own bias or are they just being funny?

Can't STAND Hannity --blech.

I'm more of a Walter Williams kinda gal. ;)

and I think i almost cried

the day... Tony Snow died.

we were singing, bye, bye ......

wait --wrong forum! sorry.....:tongue_smilie:

I kinda like going to the liberal-biased news sites and see what they are railing against. It's much more fun to pick it apart myself than let some other wacko do it ;)

But yeah, I coulda written Phred's post about any number of liberal sites/stations --cutting off callers, spouting hate-drivel based on outrageous nonsense, reporting nothing but opinion.....

it happens on both sides.

I'm a sorta conservative. I cannot stand Sean Hannity. I loved Tony Snow. He was a real sweety. All I can say is, Thank God for National Review and the Claremont Review.

I wrote that opening post in haste. It's not the bias that bothers me. I know who and what Hannity is. It's how he presents half-baked opinion as fact. It's how he cuts off discourse with the opposing side. It's basically the intolerance of the existence of another opinion. Once again last night I was treated to the misleading statement that "we're at war because of 9/11." The war we're in because of 9/11 isn't in Iraq. The conflation of the two is still being put forth by the conservative media in this country and it sickens me.

except the obvious flaw in calling Hannity "intolerant" is that he is the only one who regularly appears w/ a liberal for a discussion, lol. ;)

i still hate his style and opinion tho.

i do agree that too often one side conflates an issue, and it happens on BOTH sides -- Bush would rather spend money on his war than to help sick kids? common..... there's PLENTY of misleading statements and half-baked opinion as fact put forth by the liberal side as well.

Same here. I don't watch it myself, but Sweetie loves it and when he's home I get to listen to all kinds of things that I avoid when I'm here by myself. It's a lot of work to get past the method of delivery to get to the message itself.

I don't watch H&C and the like because I get tired of everyone talking at the same time. It's exhausting.

The biggest thing that irritates me about FOX, though -- and all the "news" channels, really -- is how they handle "breaking news."

"They think it might be -- "

"There's a possibility of -- "

"We don't know for sure, but someone mentioned -- "

Speculation and guessing -- I don't call that news. I wish they would get the *facts* before they start talking. In an attempt to claim an exclusive, they'll grab anyone off the street -- whether they have any useful information or not -- and broadcast the interview. Within thirty minutes of the latest disaster, they'll get an "expert" on the phone who is on the other side of the country and may or may not know what actually happened, expressing an "opinion."

The earthquake during the World Series and the bridge collapse a couple of years ago come immediately to mind.

The channel doesn't claim that their opinion guys (i.e. Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, etc.) are unbiased. They are very open about their position and biases. When the channel says "fair and balanced," they are referring to the reporters and anchors, who report news. That doesn't necessarily mean that a bias doesn't sometimes come through the reporting sometimes, though. It's sort of like The New York Times-- they are open about their positions and biases in the opinion section, but their bias is also (more subtly) evident in some of the stories they run. To me, Fox News is a conservative counterpoint to most other news sources that are decidedly liberal. Just as the liberal media claims to be objective and conservatives dispute that, Fox News does the same, and liberals dispute that.

Erica

SOMETIMES?????

Umm...rude. But to answer your question....the fact that they try and present themselves as a "fair and balanced" news source when they so clearly are not is what bothers me. I, being a liberal, would rather listen to a liberal bias than a conservative....to be sure. However, what I REALLY crave is a news source that doesn't pander....doesn't exploit....and presents the FACTS in a clear and impartial manner.... *sigh* a girl can dream...

Lets be honest here, just because Colmes is incapable of holding his own in the partisan and political debates that are part of the show is not a reason to block the channel. If the argument is that FOX's reporting is biased then fine, but if the argument is against Hannity what you should really be doing is examining liberal arguments and finding why they do not stand up to his points. Colmes is neither weak nor unintelligent so he can stand up to Hannity, where he frequently falls down is in the strength of his argument.

I do not always like Hannity but I accept him for what he is and do not rile against his show any more than I do against Larry King who represents the other extreme. Indeed, at least Hannity does allow opposing opinions, which makes him more balanced than Larry King.

Lets be honest here, just because Colmes is incapable of holding his own in the partisan and political debates that are part of the show is not a reason to block the channel. If the argument is that FOX's reporting is biased then fine, but if the argument is against Hannity what you should really be doing is examining liberal arguments and finding why they do not stand up to his points. Colmes is neither weak nor unintelligent so he can stand up to Hannity, where he frequently falls down is in the strength of his argument.

I do not always like Hannity but I accept him for what he is and do not rile against his show any more than I do against Larry King who represents the other extreme. Indeed, at least Hannity does allow opposing opinions, which makes him more balanced than Larry King.

Oh BROTHER! Colmes is not the problem...the problem is that liberals don't have good arguments....yeah, that's what it is....:glare:

Could you please explain this statement? (bolded)

asta