Menu

Costco - what do you buy there?

Heatherwith4

garbage bags, dog food (sometimes), kitty litter, laundry detergent, frozen fruit, cereal, and sometimes we pick up books there but those are the consistent things. We've gotten dresses a few times, and odds and end kitchen type things. I bought my living room rug there as well.

We do most of our shopping there. I like the flexibility of one stop shopping, their prices are comparable (although I admit not always cheaper) and we get the 2% back which gives us a nice rebate at the end of each year. I think the shorter list would be what don't we buy at Costco. :D In fact, just last week I found GF bread there and it is delicious!

Some of the things we DON'T get at costco: margarine (yes, we eat margarine because we are dairy free :( ), coconut milk, garlic and onions, most fresh fruit (grapes, melons, apples, oranges and bananas we get at Costco), and most fresh produce (we do get their bags of lettuce, broccoli, celery, snap peas, spinach there). Everything else? We pretty much get at Costco. I love browsing their books and I stock up on their school supplies when their stock is dwindling and they drop their prices.

We've bought furniture there, (small) appliances, bikes, scooters, gardening supplies, camping gear, clothes, phones, electronics. I love Costco's return policy and their customer service is awesome.

Items that we buy a lot from Costco

Produce - Apples, Bananas, Oranges, Berries and Grapes (only in the summer when the prices drop), asparagus, broccoli, spring mix, Bell Peppers, Onions, Potatoes

Frozen - Fruits and Veggies, Almond Milk, Orange Juice, Milk, Butter, Bacon

Meats - We used to buy a lot of meat from there until we purchased a side of beef this year so now we don't need to. I still pick up rotisserie chicken and sliced turkey

Other things - Chocolate chips (on sale around Christmas and I throw them into the freezer) Coconut Oil, Spices, Dog food, vitamins, diapers, cleaning supplies, cereal, a few canned goods.

We've also picked up our fair share of books and movies and other odds and ends. They actually get a nice assortment of toys around Christmas.

RXs, contacts, cheese, boneless leg of lamb, clementines, olive oil, canned salmon, coffee, big tubs of organic salad (although my current store can't regulate their cooler temps well and the bottom of the salad is always gross, so we no longer buy). The nitrate and nitrite free sausage, frozen organic Coleman chicken breasts, whole chickens and chicken thighs (Coleman), bathing suits for DD (rash guard sets), fake uggs to use as house slippers, the yoga pants are great. Tomatoes, Wholly Guacamole. Wild Salmon fillets (although my store rarely carries this anymore).

Electrosol tablets, vitamin d3, trashbags, eco friendly liquid dishsoap. The boxes of greeting cards are generally a pretty good deal.

They double the manufacturer's warranty on a lot of big electronics like TVs.

eta: wrapping paper is the best for the price. I gave up on buying cheap, discounted paper at stores like Target a long time ago. The Costco stuff is not super cheap, but is sturdy, and usually reversible. We buy Christmas and bday paper there.

My BFF has a membership and occasionally she'll let me tag along with my Costco list:

Socks

Cheese - same fancy cheese my store carries but half the price

Lasagna - best I've ever had

Birthday cakes

With eight children, we buy what we can. I buy my meats there, lettuce, mushrooms, while grain bread, condiments, spices, basmati rice, pancake mix, nutella, preserves, and various spreads when they have what I want. They have Raskas cheese (hormone free), less expensive milk, and butter.

Memory cards (for cameras) and jump drives

Paper

Tortillas

Bread

Cakes for DH's office events

Rotisserie chicken

Organic ground beef

Organic chicken

Prime steaks (not all stores carry prime beef cuts)

Pork tenderloins

Frozen chicken breasts (Coleman? brand)

Chicken ravioli

Sabra hummus

Dubliner cheese

Avocados

Grape tomatoes

Bananas

Cucumbers

Brussels Sprouts

Fresh berries

Apples

Kiwis (great for dehydrating!)

Grapes

Cut pineapple

Dried fruit

Nuts

Mexican Cokes (glass bottles, real sugar)

Multi-surface cleaning wipes

Dishwasher detergent

Oxyclean

Parchment paper

Glad Press & Seal

Garbage bags

Dunkin Donuts ground coffee (for iced coffee)

Eggs

Butter

Frozen organic berries (check country of origin for frozen, organic green beans and broccoli--they switched to veggies from China where no regs on organic stuff)

Powdered sugar

Organic cane sugar

Sugar in the Raw

Maple syrup (I swear we're not elves)

Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate Brownie Mix

Kirkland chocolate chips

Boxes of chicken broth

Freeze dried apple snacks

Gum

Stacey's Pita Chips

Kirkland brand Claritin-D (only $6.xx for 15!)

Other meds--ibuprofen, children's meds, vitamins, acid reducers

Prescriptions are MUCH cheaper

Seasonal things:

Wool socks

Contigo coffee mugs

Kirkland organic cotton kids PJs

Kirkland yoga pants (supposedly Lululemon)

Hanna Andersson PJs, dresses

Gift certificates

Stamps

Gift wrap, ribbon, tissue

Oh, tires! Great prices and service.

Gas

Vodka (huge, huge bottle for $13ish for homemade vanilla, liqueurs for holiday gifts. And drinking.)

Other liquor, wine, beer...

What don't we buy at Costco? :)

We have an Amex through Costco. No annual fee, same Amex great service, and cashback. There's also 2% cashback from the Costco executive (may have changed the name?) membership. If you pay for it, they guarantee your cashback will be at least the difference in price of the membership. These come in checks, but you don't have to use them up at Costco. You can cash them at customer service or get the difference back in cash at checkout.

Everything? Lol!

The freakier stuff we eat I get at the heath food co op. (I don't buy flour there, I only use King Arthur, say)

Seriously, before I started shopping there regularly, for my weekly needs, I could NOT stay within my budget. There was just no way, groceries were doing the creep up and I was walking out of the grocery store with less and less. Now? We eat fantastically, the pantry is stocked and I have $ left over for the fun stuff.

Plus, their kirkland brand starbucks roasted coffee is awesome and 10 bucks for 2.5 pounds....that's enough of a reason. :D

We have the amex, too, and I love that check at the end of the year.

What don't I buy there! Seriously, we have been living in India for the last two years and will be returning to the US to live in just over two months. I'm already dreaming of my costco trip! We bought our bed frame and mattress there a few years ago. We priced a very similar frame at an upscale furniture store and the Costco one was a great deal. We're going to be buying the kids' beds there when we return.

Cheese

Wine

more cheese

more wine

bread

salad

soy milk

all the things everyone else mentioned!

In our area we have several regular big chain grocery stores, Aldi, an big ethnic type store, and Costco. Between Aldi, the ethnic store, and Costco I rarely would go to the regular stores because the other three were so much cheaper and covered all our needs. The ethnic store produce is a better deal for me than Costco's and I don't like how over-packaged Costco's apples are, but that is one of my few areas of complaint.

I mainly shop Costco and Trader Joe's.

Bread, milk, Chicken, diaper(not anymore), juice, hot dogs, coffee, strawberries, blueberries, melon, fresh apples (off season. I have 8 trees), cheese, Amy's organic burritos, tortilla, lettuce, cucumbers, ground turkey, rice, flour, sugar, eggs, organic tomato sauce/paste/pasta sauce, organic pasta, organic mac & cheese, cereal, vitamins, syrup, waffles, bacon, water, peppers, potatoes, hummus, meatballs, butter, greek yogurt.

I am sure there is much more I cannot think of

milk

cheese,

cream cheese

romaine lettuce

muffins

candy

jeans

shirts

dress-pants & shirts

rotisserie chicken

Rx

shampoo & conditioner

seasonal items - plants, christmas paper, present tags, & ribbon

electronics

suitcases

mascara

cold medicine

tires

car batteries

GAS

etc.

etc.

etc.

you know, it would probably be easier to list what we don't buy at costco.

eta: dh calls is our favorite store. we spend more there than any other store. (we have an exec membership, so at least we get 2% back)

Toss us in with pps - it's more of a "What don't we buy there?" question.

When I redid the house a month or so ago, all the new furniture (Dining room table and chairs, breakfront, entertainment unit, living room tables and bookshelves, organizer, bed, dresser, nightstand), decor (frames, prints, rugs, wall organizer), and electronics (New TV, Blu-ray player, gaming console, DS new computer.) primarily came from Costco. Our new bookshelves came from Costco, too.

We buy most of our meat there, it's better quality than our groceries, and cheaper to boot.

Almond milk

cheese

canned vegetables/fruits

juice boxes

snack foods (granola bars, yogurt, dried fruit, etc.)

most produce

some clothes

seasonal items

gifts

movie tickets

attraction tickets

yeast

flour

water

paper items

cleaning supplies

frozen items

bread...

Everything? I go about twice a month.

I love Costco...I get all my dairy, cheeses, meats and cleaning supplies there. Along with fruits and veggies, frozen stuff and coffee. Baby formula is a great buy there as well. Going on Friday and I've just inventoried the house....it's gonna be a big trip. :D

We have the Costco Amex card and this year we got $230 to spend at Costco. :)

I buy less now that we try to eat grass fed meats and organic produce, but I last week I bought:

Speedo Swim suits ($12)

Naked Juice

Cantelope

Pirate's Booty

Toilet paper

Dishwasher detergent

Trash bags

Lotion

Shampoo/conditioner

My list is small but I go once a month.

toilet paper

paper towels

batteries

kleenex

cleaning wipes

laundry soap

some medicines like kid zyrtec but the kirkland brand

napkins

organic ground beef

organic chicken...they have whole chickens, thighs, breasts

canned fruits/veggies. A lot of these

butter

creamer

frozen broccoli and corn

yogurts

cheese

lunch meat--had a bad container once so haven't lately

rice

sugar

spices

syrup

peanut butter

jelly when they have grape

honey

olive oil

kcups for coffee maker

that is what I can think of right now. I have a master list on the fridge of items I get there. We don't do a lot of processed food so there isn't much in the freezer area we use. It's the basics I get.

I did buy tires from Costco a few years ago too. Had a decent deal. Ours is over 30 min away so the once a month thing works for me.

We go about every 6 weeks.

Almost always on my list:

goldfish crackers

cheese sticks-both string cheese and the cheddar/cheddar jack sticks

Tortilla land uncooked tortillas

Chobani yogurt

Jimmy Dean turkey sausage

Chicken breasts (Foster Farms--6 packs of 2 breasts)

meat: flank steak, tritip steak, or pork tenderloin (don't need all three every trip)

Aidell's teriyaki chicken meatballs

take and bake pizza for dinner that night (now a tradition)

fill up the car with gas (usually on the way in)

Stuff that's often on the list, but not every trip:

Vitamins

allergy meds

contact lens supplies

shampoo/conditioner

lotion

big jar of smokehouse almonds

large can of crushed tomatoes (for less than $3 I make marinara for 3 dinners and pizza sauce for 6 or 7 dinners!)

fruit cups

package of 4 big jars of applesauce

yeast, cinnamon, vanilla, taco seasoning

brown sugar

GoLean Crunch

skinny cows or other popsicle type products

other frozen convenience foods--taquitos last month

turkey bacon with no nitrates/nitrites

kleenex (whenever there's a coupon)

ziploc bags (once a year with coupon)

gatorade during summer sports season

sometimes granola bars or other convenient snack foods

Occasional non-food purchases:

swimsuits for kids

historically other kid clothes, but only youngest is in kid clothes anymore

underwear and exercise clothes for dh

books/dvds

Christmas lights, Christmas stamps

Christmas gifts--cameras for dds, watch for dh

big items very occasionally--printer, t.v.

We get:

paper products (TP, Diapers, kleenex, feminine products etc)

vitamins

contact solution

bandaids

25lb bag pinto beans

vanilla

spices

brown sugar

rice milk

chips

dried fruit

cheese

butter

frozen kirkland pizza

grape juice

detergent laundry and dishwasher

cat food

garbage bags

hummus

frozen fruit and veggies

adells sausages

avocado

pineapples

school supplies

copy paper

small kitchen appliances (vitamix, griddle, coffee pot etc)

office supplies (laminator, laser printer)

towels and sheets

books and movies

socks, t-shirts, yoga pants and sweatshirts for me

boxers, t-shirts, button down shirts, shorts for DH

baby and toddler clothing for kids

coats for the family

swim suits

sometimes shoes

storage shelves

outside stuff-picnic table, water hoses, work gloves, fertilizer

folding table and chairs

gifts

christmas supplies

...a lot!

I go about once a month. I honestly don't buy a ton there, because most things I can get cheaper elsewhere. Sometimes they have good deals with their coupon booklets. Here is my list of items I commonly buy at Costco: gas, cheese (big bags of shredded), eggs (sometimes depending on pricing there and elsewhere), batteries, Speedo swimsuit, spices, vitamins, soy sauce, soy milk (if I don't have a coupon for cheaper elsewhere and we are out), flax seed, Scott's toilet paper (if I don't find a better deal elsewhere and we are low), lunchmeat, Christmas cards, photos, their big bag of generic tortilla chips, Halloween candy, frozen fruit.

on the more exotic side, I love the hemp hearts and the dried sprouted three bean mix. I couldn't find it when I ran out my three pound bag, finally gave up and ordered it off Amazon at $16, and now Costco has it again for $9. Gaaaah! I'll probably buy three bags and throw them in the freezer.

Skip the American Express offer. The sales rep wanted us to sent them copies of our bank statements. No way, never, ever, ever...

Really? That didn't happen with us at all, I filled it out, brought it to the front, they ran it and poof, done, 10 minutes. I would re ask--I think they did that wrong.

Skip the American Express offer. The sales rep wanted us to sent them copies of our bank statements. No way, never, ever, ever...

We also went for this offer and did not have to submit bank statements. Just your typical credit check. We just signed up at the beginning of February.

Really? That didn't happen with us at all, I filled it out, brought it to the front, they ran it and poof, done, 10 minutes. I would re ask--I think they did that wrong.

Agreed.

We love the Am Ex card. Besides the bonuses, there are many perks. I need to look them up again, but one of them (IIRC) is free roadside assistance.

frozen strawberries

frozen meatballs

Polish hot dogs & buns

take & bake pizza (love their margherita but haven't seen it lately)

Sabra hummus

Cucumber yogurt dip

tortellini

cereal

coffee beans & k-cups

Kirkland trail mix in the individual servings

dried Philippine mangoes

Food Should Taste Good multigrain chips

Stacy's pita chips

Instant Breakfast packets

pesto

olive oil

dry pasta

printer paper

dog food

toilet paper

garbage bags

Ziplock bags

Detergent for dishwasher and clothes washer

Our local grocery stores are quite expensive (we live in AK) so we stock up when we can get to Costco in Anchorage.

i just signed up a few weeks ago. We recently moved, had an increase in income, and do not have very good credit at the moment (will be fixed in the near future). It got flagged as incomplete and need to speak to a rep on the phone. We called while in the store and theyinsisted on copies of our bank statements. I told my husband to hang up, that there was no way in hades I would give such a thing out, especially not to a place like American Express.

I buy food-safe, reuseable, 1 quart, black, plastic containers with clear lids. I use them for freezing meals and refrigerating leftovers. They come in packages of 25. I don't recall what they cost, but it is wonderful to have plenty of containers for a change.

How have I missed these. Note to self, "look for reusable containers RoughCollie mentioned on WTM"

• 2 weeks later...

I got organic strawberries and apples at ours last week. We often buy the big frankenberries that are not organic, but they honestly taste like vague memories of strawberries.

Cashews

Key lime pies

Cuties

We have STOPPED buying the grapes because they taste like pine mixed with deodorant

Organic milk

Eggs, butter, greek yogurt

Sun clothes for the boys (especially love the long sleeved hoodie swimsuits for my pale freckly offspring

They are by far the cheapest for our printer ink.

We got the complete BOB books set there. (And within a month outgrew them after ages working on 'em...)

Garbanzo bean/spinach falafel-type patties, veggie breakfast sausage, black bean burgers, morningstar patties.

Turkey sausage

Brown rice

Birthday cakes the size of Mt. Hood... and spanx!

Particular stand-outs in quality, to me: their own brand of toilet paper, stew beef, croissant, supplements, trash bags and really excellent Kirkland coffee. I have, of course, bought a large quantity of something I just wanted to try, and had to use if forever, but I think everyone does that. I have some things I prefer from Sam's, and both are close together, so I can hit them at the same time. Tires, I compare tire brands at both to get what I want.