Menu

Year-round team sports -- fill me in

msjones

Most of the folks around here (the ones I know, anyway) have their kids in year-round team sports. The kids do 4 sports per year, every year, starting when they are about 5. I'm talking about most of the kids -- not just those who truly have a passion for athletics.

The most common combo is soccer in the fall, basketball in winter, baseball in spring, and swim team in the summer. Some folks also add in another -- one family we know had kids doing soccer concurrently with ultimate frisbee, and one did soccer and flag football.

These sports practices and games/meets take up a lot of their time outside of school. Many (most?) of the moms I know who keep this sporting schedule are quite unhappy with the pace of it all. They openly admit that they are usually stressed and that their schedules are constantly maxed out.

I would not criticize them IRL, (I just listen and nod) but here I am online furtively asking, "what the heck?!"

I kept thinking it would subside a bit once their kids got older and have given the sports a try, but it continues. This is the week some families have the end of basketball and the beginning of baseball, and my poor friends are at the end of their ropes.

What is driving this? Of course, they are free to do what they wish, and not everyone shares my views on things, but I'm baffled.

Why not just drop a sport (or two)?

I might get some flames here, and that's okay. But along with the flames, could you fill me in on the motivation for team sports in perpetuity?

The motivation for sports every day is peace in the house. A lot of kids, especially boys hitting the teen years, have a ton of extra energy that has to go somewhere. If they don't spend it on sports, they use it on mom, dad and the little sister.

Some kids stay with the same sport all year and some play all the town sports in season. The town sports are usually cheaper, but year round sports are more reliable for just dropping the kid off and carpooling.

Some families here do that because they are driven by the prospect of sports scholarship, particularly in swimming and gymnastics. Some do that for college application because they are honestly afraid their kids would not be able to get into the local universities if their kids don't do sports.

My dd has been diagnosed with a condition that necessitates continually engaging in physical activity to protect her joints and protect her ability to move around without pain. She will be doing this for life. Before her recent knee injury, that meant three dive team practices a week, one tennis lesson a week, and for a while, a PE class twice a week. Plus Venture Scouts many weekends doing physical activity. I am happy that she developed this after the older children were out of hte house so it is easier. But it is something we have to do.

My dd has been diagnosed with a condition that necessitates continually engaging in physical activity to protect her joints and protect her ability to move around without pain. She will be doing this for life. Before her recent knee injury, that meant three dive team practices a week, one tennis lesson a week, and for a while, a PE class twice a week. Plus Venture Scouts many weekends doing physical activity. I am happy that she developed this after the older children were out of hte house so it is easier. But it is something we have to do.

Your situation is easy to understand. I'm glad your daughter has a way to keep her pain at bay.

My boys play ice hockey year-round. Summers are usually specialized clinics or conditioning, and ice hockey has two seasons: Winter (from September to December) and Spring (February to April). We moved the first of the year, so they haven't been on the ice consistently for two months. They hate it. I hate it. My boys NEED that physical outlet or they are bouncing off the walls.

Our travel tryouts are this Friday, and they've been counting it down like it's Christmas. They are really excited to be able to join a new team and get back on the ice.

If you have a kid that's passionate about sports, you do what you can to feed that passion, just as you would music or art or anything else that a kid is interested in. My oldest was/is passionate about sports and we spent many hours at games and practices and traveling too and from. He is not playing sports at the college level but will probably coach at some time (at least I'll be surprised if he doesn't). He was a three-sport a year player for many years.

DS doesn't do year 'round sports, but he does do several throughout the year. I kind of insist on it because he's homeschooled. He needs to do something with his time besides sit around and play video games. For us, it's exercise and time with other kids. DS just plays for our town, but he does soccer in the fall (his favorite), basketball in the winter (his second favorite) and he's trying track for the first time this spring. He didn't like baseball or swim team.

I think for my oldest team sports are a way to have some of the social time he doesn’t otherwise get as a homeschooler. I’m trying to avoid the dreaded socialization word and it’s not really that. We do a co-op and he has other social outlets that are more meaningful. It’s not even that he makes lasting friends on the teams. It’s more that I think hanging out with a bunch of boys his age is fun and not something he gets to do otherwise. They are silly, they enjoy the same stupid jokes, it’s just fun and he enjoys being part of a team and everything that means.

We also do it for exercise but he could exercise in non-team sports ways if that was all it was. My middle son is more athletic and physical but has no desire to do any team sports. He’s still little and may change his mind. But for now he’s happy doing his own thing.

I actually feel like an advantage of homeschooling is I don’t mind doing all the other activities so much. I don’t see how people can keep up with a school all day, run to one sport, than another class every day kind of schedule. But we’re still home most of the time even during a sports season that might have several practices and games a week.

Most of the folks around here (the ones I know, anyway) have their kids in year-round team sports. The kids do 4 sports per year, every year, starting when they are about 5. I'm talking about most of the kids -- not just those who truly have a passion for athletics.

The most common combo is soccer in the fall, basketball in winter, baseball in spring, and swim team in the summer. Some folks also add in another -- one family we know had kids doing soccer concurrently with ultimate frisbee, and one did soccer and flag football.

Just fyi, this is doing sports year round. Year round sports are those that literally practice the full year, like certain types of swimming and gymnastics.

And we do year round sports (and sports year round :001_smile:) because mine need the physical outlet, the social outlet and the challenge. And all of the sports and other physical activities mine have tried over the years have been fun!

Georgia

Kids need lots of exercise. They don't get it at school (no recess at many) and they don't get it playing with neighborhood kids (who are mostly at daycare), so their parents bring them to sports instead. If Tigger went to school, all the sports he does would be ridiculous, but since we homeschool, I consider it manageable.

We play lacrosse 6 days a week in spring. That gets crazy. And I often wonder how the kids who go to school handle getting off the bus at 4:30 only to go to practice from 5-7:30 or 8... When do they eat? Do homework? It's nutty enough for us, and I reschedule our school and eating schedules so we have that time open.

My daughter plays lax year round, but the boys aren't up tournament level play yet. The other seasons are a little easier, not only because only one is playing; it's just more relaxed.

Many (most?) of the moms I know who keep this sporting schedule are quite unhappy with the pace of it all. They openly admit that they are usually stressed and that their schedules are constantly maxed out.

Are these mostly working moms? I bet that makes a difference. Also, I bet some leagues are better than others at scheduling things in a way that reduces stress for parents. For example, we signed up for our town's soccer program not knowing whether it started in March or April, what day of the week practice would be, or even how long the season would be. At the parent meeting last night, they said they still haven't decided if there will be 8 or 10 games!

I considered signing up for a private league that posted the schedule ahead of time, rather than hoping Tigger wouldn't be assigned to a team that practiced on a night that conflicted with TKD. In the end, though, the other leagues cost 150% more and were 20 minutes away rather than 7, so I took my chances.

If many parents are stressed out, they need to work together to approach the leagues with suggestions about how to make it easier on families, such as: siblings practice on the same nights, post schedules before signups, have a week off in the middle of the season so parents can de-stress, etc.

There is no off season in gymnastics. I don't think I could drag Rebecca out of the gym even if I wanted to. If I could find a class for Sylvia, she'd stay in dance year round too. As it is, it looks like she'll have the summer off.

I think sports are good for kids in many ways. If it works for them, why not? Could I run myself ragged? No. But other people might think we're already doing too much running around for Rebecca's gymnastics.

I have at times complained about the time, money, and energy drain. But while it can be hard on me, my boys have loved sports. One in particular gets pretty crabby if he doesn't exercise daily.

I am not sporty and at times I find it hard. Today we did no sports because it rained and we didn't have indoor court time. I loved it:). But I do what I do for them. Someday they will be grown and fine, and there will be plenty of time to relax.

I will also say that while I am not a sports fan, it is incredibly fun to see your son become really good at something he loves.

Two sports for DD11 - softball in summer, skiing in winter.

Since winter lasts 8 months here, she ends up with only August/September with nothing going on.

Honestly, it's so dark here in the winter that we really have to do something active or go stir-crazy.

We have short breaks but my swim about seven months our of the year and my son plays football. We did hop around when they were younger and tried soccer and gymnastics. But now that they are older they are starting to figure our what they love. I want my kids to stay active. During our months off from sports I take them to the indoor pool at least twice a week and take them the kids fitness classes at the YMCA.

Ds swims year round and he also plays an additional sport during one season (last fall it was flag football, this fall he wants to try soccer). He really loves swim and I love the exercise he's getting!

Dd just takes one ballet class per week during the school year. I would like to find something else (maybe an additional class) as I don't feel that one hour per week is enough.

We live in a bad area for bike riding. My kids attend school and have gym class once per week. Playing sports is a good way to ensure they are getting the physical activity that they need. Plus they like it!!!

(Although I will admit that as a working, sometimes single mom - when dh is out of town - I don't exactly love all of the running around that we do. But I do try to plan as much 'at home' time as I can. It was much easier when we homeschooled!)

My older two are in sports every season. We do it because they want to do it. We are the only homeschoolers in our tiny town, and sports are the easiest way for them to socialize and "belong" to something other than our family. My second oldest is passionate about any and every contact sport available.

Here is our current exhausting sports schedule:

10yo dd ---> dance = Sep-Apr volleyball = Oct-Nov basketball = Dec-Mar volleyball = Mar-Apr

8yo ds------> football = Oct-Nov wrestling = Nov-Apr baseball = Jun-Aug

6yo ds------> wrestling = Nov-Apr

4yo dd------> dance = Sep-Apr

The winter season is a killer. We usually have 1 or 2 tournaments every weekend. I'm very thankful for snow days that slow down our schedule.

Mine play lots of sports throughout the year. Currently the main ones are baseball and flag football, with some tennis, track, and gymnastics thrown in. We just finished up basketball, and this summer will be swim team and one wants to try fencing. I do it for many reasons. its a way to meet kids and moms in the neighborhood or other homeschoolers. I want them to learn how to play various sports; most leagues are teaching leagues at this age. They might not even be able to play some sports when they get older because it's too competitive by then. This way, they are introduced to a variety to see what they really like. It's great exercise and discipline for them. They gain confidence. They get another teacher besides me. They have fun. :). I do not like the running around and the hectic meal schedule, but it's a season in my life. I don't particularly like cooking even when I don't feel rushed for time :)

Personally, I love swim team the best. I had the nicest, sweetest kids last year who never seemed to fight or argue. I think they were so spent physically that there was no extra energy for it. I'm looking forward to that again! I have one that desperately needs tons of exercise to keep him calmer.

Most people where we are do the four sport thing (rec soccer, basketball, baseball or another spring sport, pool club swim team) from about K to 5th grade. We did that and it was actually very easy, as everything was local, in our small town. Beginning about 3rd or 4th grade, some kids move into travel teams -- in our town travel must also play on rec teams, so that is a bigger commitment. Most people seem to like the camaraderie among not only the kids, but also the adults. Personally, I enjoy watching games and talking with other parents.

We are also involved in 'Challenger' (special needs) sports - soccer, basketball, baseball are the main ones. The parents there are the complete opposite of the competitive parents you hear about. It's a wonderful experience.

The travel people do extra off-season clinics and camps. Some of the most serious/talented move into club sports. The swimmers (and divers) join teams and swim competitively year round.

Around middle school, activity starts to taper off for the non travel people, but kids also move into specialized sports, like tennis or ice skating or fencing or cross country/track. The non sporty types get more seriously involved in theater, dance, orchestra.

Overall, I am incredibly impressed by the skill levels and commitment of these kids. When I was young we sort of dithered from activity to activity. I had very few friends who were really good at anything, lol. Now I see so many kids who are talented and hard working.

Some sports are worse than others for scheduling. I hope T never, ever wants to play softball again. I hate having such a variable schedule that you can't do anything else in the evening during the season. OTOH, volleyball is great for us. One practice a week, one game Saturday. I can work TKD around the volleyball schedule with no problem. I don't mind doing activities everyday since I have to drive GW anyway, but I don't want to have to stress out about redoing our schedule every week around games.

Both of our children are year-round competitive swimmers and water polo players and we drive from pool to pool on most nights - but they absolutely LOVE their sports. My daughter plays on a high school water polo team, so twice a week we go from pool to pool to pool (3 pools in 6 hours), but somehow it works.

I was talking with another swim parent tonight that has 3 children that do year round sports, but only one swims. She drives non-stop from place to place almost every day of the week (3 children, 3 different directions - ages 7-13). That would drive me insane with worry about leaving them , so I am thrilled with our schedule, plus my daughter will take over the sports driving probably by summer.

My oldest had motor skills issues when he was young, so he did swimming year round ( I believe this is an essential skill) and one other sport each season. As he aged, he moved into tae kwon do several days a week. Later he worked with a personal trainer and played drums (very physical).

Middle just liked to try stuff A LOT. We did all kinds of stuff until she discovered dance. Her classes are 6 days a week. She loves it, so it is what she does.

Youngest goes to two special Olympics sports a season, plus adaptive skating and a movement class. Special Olympics meets once a week. He needs to work on motor skill development, he needs to work on social skills, and he's overweight and does not choose exercise onhisown.

For the child without special needs, trying many sports can be very rewarding. It can help you find a lifelong activity that you are passionate about. Spending time on such an activity can have physical benefits, but it also teaches the child self discipline, helps develop the chils's personal drive and helps develop time management skills.

Echoing "they love it." My boys have tried soccer, basketball, and swimming. Didn't click on basketball, had some good years on soccer (the enjoyment being very coach dependent). Now they are very focused on swimming, a year-round sport in itself. If DS12 misses 2 days of practice in a row, he gets antsy and grumpy - after a long practice, he is like a new boy-man. I sometimes feel like a chauffeur, but the mental and physical positives are worth it.

I've always been curious too. I've always assumed its because the kids are cooped up all day and need exercise. Monday DS rode his bike 15 miles with me to the beach and back. It took all day including lunch and play. We do this at least once a week and do another day of mountain biking as well. That's not the kind of thing you can do if you are in school, so I think if we weren't homeschooling we might do more sports. My kid NEEDS exercise beyond a 20 min recess.

BTW, I don't think I would have noticed, except like you said there seems to be a lot of parental grumbling about it.

I agree that kids need exercise, and, heck, my husband is a football coach, so I'm not anti-sport. I work out every day and make my kids do the same and would ski or hike every day of my life if I could.

I get it that some kids are super physical and seriously passionate about competitive sports. If I had one of those kids I'm sure I'd be more committed to team sports.

I just can't believe the pace some people keep if they don't have to. They seem completely overwhelmed and fed up. I listen and nod and bit my tongue to stop myself from saying, "take a season off."