Menu

S/o of reusable bag thread: Would you sign a petition?

Brilliant

I almost always bring my reusable Trader Joe's bags to the grocery store. The disposable ones have their uses (love the Target bags for lining bathroom wastebaskets). But my main issue with them is that they are the number 1 litter problem around here - some sections of the freeway are horribly littered with plastic grocery sacks.

My city has a petition to ban single-use sacks, which I plan to sign. My dh thinks I've gone communist on him - that we shouldn't *force* people to bring their own bags. But I can't think of another way to get folks to be responsible for their bags unless they've paid for them. And maybe use the bag fee to help pay for litter patrol.

What say you - communist or common sense? ;)

I'm trying to wrap my head around what it must be like to be married to someone who clearly doesn't know the definition of words he uses. If my DH called this "communism," I'd wrap a plastic bag around his head.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same. The weird look when I checked out with a bag of kaiser rolls, a few cans of beans, a carton of soy milk, and a 5 lb bag of organic red potatoes and I said that I didn't need bags. There were five of us there... DH, myself, and three kids. All capable of carrying something. The girl just stared at me and said "you don't want ANY bags?". I said, "No, let's save a plastic tree." Bagger boy snorted and walked off, we all grabbed a little something and walked off. Honestly, though, I probably could have managed myself if I had to. People don't seem to give themselves enough credit sometimes.

Same here on that, too. One instance. Where are these reports on how reusable bags are causing rising incidents of illness??

Conversely, my MIL nearly blew a gasket when a checker dared to ask her if she needed a bag for her one item. OF COURSE she wants a bag! WHY would the checker try to cheat her like that?! Heh. :D

Fabric bags work better for my family and here's why:

I only buy milk from our local dairy. They put it in glass bottles. Those plastic bags (and even the brown paper ones) cannot handle a half gallon of milk. I've had at least three break in the past five years when I forgot my fabric bags. A half gallon of milk and shattered glass makes a huge mess!

You can get so much MORE into a fabric bag and they are much less likely to break, This means less tromping back and forth from my garage to my kitchen counters.

I buy my chicken from a local farmer twice a year and buffalo comes overnight so I don't have meat "germs" in my bag. On the rare occasion when I have had something yucky in the fabric bags, I just washed them on the gentle cycle in my washing machine. Voila! On those times, I've also had the meat double bagged in the clear plastic bags the grocery stores keep by meat. Who doesn't do that? Yuck!

We live near a garbage dump. I hate that it is so near and they do a decent job of keeping the area cleaned up but there are literally hundreds of those plastic bags in the trees that line the streets. I presume they blow out of the dump when the wind blows. It's disgusting.

When I forget my fabric bags, I try for the brown paper bags but we finally now recyle both types so I'm happy with that. I have been to Europe in the past 10 years and I noticed that NO ONE used plastic bags there ever. They all had very cute fabric or net bags. I cannot help buy wonder why Europe doesn't have major problems with germy fabric bags. It feels like just another reason Europe trumps us, just like they have a much better grip on the GMO issue. Americans settle for crap so easily.

I think it goes against the constitution to ban them. It takes away our freedom of choice.

To me it is the same as Massachusetts putting a ban in some towns on selling bottled water.

Um... what? How in the world is a local ordinance banning something "against the constitution"? :confused1: The constitution regulates the FEDERAL government. Last I checked, Congress wasn't planning on legislating plastic bag usage.

Oh you mean like the big WARNING your hot coffee might really be hot label on the McDonald's cups??? People are lazy and ridiculous a lot of the time and want everything for nothing. We need a nanny state to babysit all the irresponsible people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

It's actually a pretty interesting lawsuit, if you have time to read about it!

Guest inoubliable

Um... what? How in the world is a local ordinance banning something "against the constitution"? :confused1: The constitution regulates the FEDERAL government. Last I checked, Congress wasn't planning on legislating plastic bag usage.

There seems to be this bizarre idea that a ban on giving out plastic bags at the supermarket means that the gubmint would be forcing you to use just. one. thing. instead.

How people are making this connection is beyond me. How is your "freedom of choice" taken away?? I guess for some people bare hands aren't an option? Totes made out of any other material? Plastic egg crates from the Walmart? Pockets??

Common sense. In South Africa we paid for bags - this was introduced to tackle the littering problem. Sometimes I bought plastic bags, as they were still cheaper than small bin lininig bags - I reused them for that purpose. Mostly I used my fabric reusable bags though. Here in Australia it is encouraged, but voluntary (although I think Target charges for bags) - I would say uptake rates are lower than in South Africa, but then, people are generally more environmentally responsible here, and there is not an extensive littering problem.

I need to reread the constitution. Honestly, when I took a Constitutional Law, I don't remember anything about a right to any type of bag at the store. Granted, I took the course over 20 years ago, the Constitution could have changed since then or maybe my memory has been wiped.

I do remember that Shopper's Food Warehouse charged for bags over 25 years ago. They also had no baggers. They weren't environmentally conscious. They were cheap. No one complained about the bag policy then. I did not like their produce though.

I think I need to clarify what I mean. If a store chooses not to use plastic bags that is their choice and I am fine with that. Some stores around where I live do and like I said no problem. My issue is with making an ordinance that states stores can't use or supply plastic bags. The op is planning to sign a petition to ban single use bags. I think it is wrong for the city to be allowed to put a ban on bags. Ifthe stores want to use them or not use them it is their right and the city should not be allowed to stop them.

I would be in favor of a charge for the plastic bags.

I am ashamed to say that I own reusable bags but forget to bring them to the store a majority of the time. A charge would encourage me to remember. I would probably still use plastic bags on occasion for meat and other messy things, but I would have no problem paying for that.

Even if they were banned, however, that would not in any way infringe on my constitutional rights to life, liberty and happiness. A plastic bag that also causes harm is not a constitutional right.

Also, just to reiterate what others have said, the problem with plastic bags is not just behavioral because littering is not the only issue. The plastic bags not degrading is a bigger problem than littering. The fact of them being a single or even limited use item that does not degrade is the issue.

I am also against over-packaging, but do line my bathroom trashcan as I am grossed out by boogers getting attached to the sides.

(Did I hit all the points? :)

I almost always bring my reusable Trader Joe's bags to the grocery store. The disposable ones have their uses (love the Target bags for lining bathroom wastebaskets). But my main issue with them is that they are the number 1 litter problem around here - some sections of the freeway are horribly littered with plastic grocery sacks.

My city has a petition to ban single-use sacks, which I plan to sign. My dh thinks I've gone communist on him - that we shouldn't *force* people to bring their own bags. But I can't think of another way to get folks to be responsible for their bags unless they've paid for them. And maybe use the bag fee to help pay for litter patrol.

What say you - communist or common sense? ;)

I wouldn't sign and I hate the trash bags blown up into the trees, too. But I also hate the BYOBags, which harbor bacteria.

I think I need to clarify what I mean. If a store chooses not to use plastic bags that is their choice and I am fine with that. Some stores around where I live do and like I said no problem. My issue is with making an ordinance that states stores can't use or supply plastic bags. The op is planning to sign a petition to ban single use bags. I think it is wrong for the city to be allowed to put a ban on bags. Ifthe stores want to use them or not use them it is their right and the city should not be allowed to stop them.

I get what you are saying, but such laws still don't infringe on your constitutional rights. Municipalities have the authority to pass laws that the leaders think are best for the community, unless those laws are unconstitutional. No one has a right to be able to use plastic bags. There is nothing unconstitutional about local plastic bag bans.

How would you feel if someone demanded you use single use bags when you wanted to use reusable ones? That's how I feel about people trying to force me to use reusable ones instead of single use ones. I think if you sign a petition forcing people then you're not a lover of freedom or someone who respects the rights of others-sorry. I won't demand the government force you to bag groceries my way and I expect you, or anyone else claiming to care about freedom, not to demand government force me to do it your way. That's true of what I buy, how I bag it, how I choose to school my kids, who or how I worship, what medical treatments I choose for myself and my dependent children, what I read, what I say, what I eat, what I think, etc. etc. etc.

I agree that people throwing their trash anywhere other than a trash can when they're not on their own property should be fined and those funds can be used to hire people to take care of trash. There's no excuse for that. I also routinely take a plastic bag when I go for walks and pick up any trash I see because trash doesn't pick itself up and I don't want to look at it. Instead of tut tut tutting about others, I just do it myself because I know in the real world if you want something done you have to do it yourself.

I noticed a few years ago that when the trash or recycling trucks come on windy days, the wind can blow trash falling from the bins into the back of the truck into the street. That wasn't anyone's fault. You can't fight the weather. So I just stopped complaining and started taking the bag with me for walks after windy weather.

The other view on constitutionality is that the only things you're NOT allowed to do is what the Constitution specifically grants to government-everything else the people are free to choose or decline themselves-even if they choose badly. I only need to mother my children-not the rest of the citizens. I feel no compulsion to manage the lives of others. That's the price of living in a free society-it's better than the alternative. The role of government is to stop people from violating the rights of citizens and to stop the government from violating the rights of citizens. It's not the role of government to force people to make what someone decides is a better or the best decision.

Yes, I'm a card carrying registered Libertarian.

In my opinion, signing this petition is neither communist nor common sense.

I think the most common sense solution is generally the simplest solution. Government bans and regulations are rarely the simplest solution. They come at an extra cost, with extra bureaucracy, and they usually bring about unintended consequences. In addition, they quite frequently fail to meet their intended objectives. Just for fun, do some googling on the unintended consequences of the plastic bag bans in San Francisco and Los Angeles. Those bans have done nothing to reduce waste (in fact, an audit done in San Francisco showed that plastic bag waste increased a year after the ban went into effect) and they have also led to a drop in business and job losses in Los Angeles. In L.A. the ban was only partial, so shoppers just started going to other stores where the bans are not in effect, and the stores that banned plastic bags lost business and had to lay off employees.

Having said that, I'm completely in favor of encouraging the use of reusable bags and reducing waste. Great strides have been made in this space through consumer awareness and the initiatives of environmentally conscious consumers and businesses. Vote with your dollars, shop at stores that encourage the use of reusable bags, and join grassroots efforts to drive positive change. That's what I do - and yes, I use reusable bags and I do care deeply about the environment. But let's stop looking to the government, whether local or federal, to solve all of our problems. Private citizens and businesses can achieve way more through creative solutions.

Just my two cents. :)

Did someone address this question and I missed it? Here's my question:

If you don't line your bathroom trashcan and you dump the trash out...aren't you dumping the contents into another plastic bag--only it's a kitchen sized platic bag? Isn't it the same amount of plastic? In one case it's a couple of small bags and in the other case it's a big bag. But aren't they still all plastic? Or are you dumping the little trashcans into something else that I'm not familiar with? Do you dump it all free into your outside garbage cans? Do the garbage collectors take stuff unbagged?

I line my small trashcans, but I don't tie them up and take them outside until they're brimming full. So each little grocery bag is stuffed full so I'm not wasting the plastic space.

I would not sign the petition unless the stores were willing to give reusable bags to their customers. The canvas bags that I have from Publix are $ .99/each. I own ten of them. To ME, it's not a lot of money, but to MANY, even one dollar out of their budget can hurt. So for that reason, I would not agree to banning them. I prefer the reusable bags because they hold more (which means fewer trips bringing the groceries in).

That said, there have been times when I forgot my bags. Especially after I've just washed them. We use the plastic bags for small trashcans and dog cleanup.

We have plenty of the Whole Foods green reusable bags and most of them has holes in them now. Library books somehow managed to create holes in them.

Does your TJ's use plastic bags?! Mine uses brown bags. I think they already have a private campaign to get people to bring bags... the fill those darn brown bags so full that the handles rip off and you throw out your back. I am not even kidding!

I rebag at Trader Joes sometimes. The packer sometimes put raw meat with bread, frozen food with cereal boxes, and other interesting combinations. Also the handles rip off because they load the bags too heavy. I just take a few extra and rebag them so that I can carry them from my complex's car park to my home without the handles breaking while in the elevator or before I can reach the elevator.

That's interesting.

ETA: I wonder how Target's 5 cents per reusable bag has worked out. I haven't found any information on whether or not they've seen an increase in customers bringing their own bags since they started the policy.

Here people just dump their stuff into the shopping cart and than just dump their stuff from the shopping cart into their car's trunks. We just shop at the Target that is still supplying bags since we use the bags for garbage.

My issue is with making an ordinance that states stores can't use or supply plastic bags. The op is planning to sign a petition to ban single use bags. I think it is wrong for the city to be allowed to put a ban on bags.

We have cities and counties that ban the use of plastic bags. Below are a few examples.

"Alameda County Waste Management Authority Passes Landmark Legislation To Ban Single-Use Bags Countywide

Marin County

The Board of Supervisors passed an ordinance on January 25, 2011 that bans plastic bags and requires stores to charge 5 cents for recycled content paper bags.

The City of San Jose implemented a plastic bag ban and a ten cent charge on paper bags for all retail establishments on January, 1st, 2012Fairfax

Residents of the Town of Fairfax passed a ban on plastic bags through a voter initiative in November 2008

Millbrae adopted a plastic bag ban and a ten cent paper bag charge for all retail establishments on February 14, 2012. The ordinance will go into effect on September 1, 2012"

Not trying to derail this thread and if someone already answered this earlier, please forgive....

But why in the world did we ever stop using brown paper bags? My dh and I were talking about this just the other day. With the big push to go green, why did stores stop carrying paper bags and move to plastic? I"m assuming cost, but I really miss the days of brown paper sacks. Those things were sturdy! It's probably what I like most about shopping at Whole Foods.

Guest inoubliable

Not trying to derail this thread and if someone already answered this earlier, please forgive....

But why in the world did we ever stop using brown paper bags? My dh and I were talking about this just the other day. With the big push to go green, why did stores stop carrying paper bags and move to plastic? I"m assuming cost, but I really miss the days of brown paper sacks. Those things were sturdy! It's probably what I like most about shopping at Whole Foods.

To save the trees.

I"m assuming cost, but I really miss the days of brown paper sacks. Those things were sturdy! It's probably what I like most about shopping at Whole Foods.

I like the brown paper bags, too. I generally use the "paper in plastic" option, which is the brown paper bag inside a plastic bag.

Clearly, I am a menace to society.

Handles. Convenience. Plastic is waterproof. Cost. I rather like the paper bags with handles that Whole Foods and other stores use now. They don't cut into my hands the way plastic bags do.

How would you feel if someone demanded you use single use bags when you wanted to use reusable ones? That's how I feel about people trying to force me to use reusable ones instead of single use ones. I think if you sign a petition forcing people then you're not a lover of freedom or someone who respects the rights of others-sorry. I won't demand the government force you to bag groceries my way and I expect you, or anyone else claiming to care about freedom, not to demand government force me to do it your way. That's true of what I buy, how I bag it, how I choose to school my kids, who or how I worship, what medical treatments I choose for myself and my dependent children, what I read, what I say, what I eat, what I think, etc. etc. etc.

I agree that people throwing their trash anywhere other than a trash can when they're not on their own property should be fined and those funds can be used to hire people to take care of trash. There's no excuse for that. I also routinely take a plastic bag when I go for walks and pick up any trash I see because trash doesn't pick itself up and I don't want to look at it. Instead of tut tut tutting about others, I just do it myself because I know in the real world if you want something done you have to do it yourself.

I noticed a few years ago that when the trash or recycling trucks come on windy days, the wind can blow trash falling from the bins into the back of the truck into the street. That wasn't anyone's fault. You can't fight the weather. So I just stopped complaining and started taking the bag with me for walks after windy weather.

The other view on constitutionality is that the only things you're NOT allowed to do is what the Constitution specifically grants to government-everything else the people are free to choose or decline themselves-even if they choose badly. I only need to mother my children-not the rest of the citizens. I feel no compulsion to manage the lives of others. That's the price of living in a free society-it's better than the alternative. The role of government is to stop people from violating the rights of citizens and to stop the government from violating the rights of citizens. It's not the role of government to force people to make what someone decides is a better or the best decision.

ITA. I have no problem picking up trash when out and about, either.

I live near Seattle. Several cities nearby have the plastic bag ban/paper bag charge. Until now it hasn't relly affected me because the cities are not in my regular shopping areas. As of March first one of my cities has begun this ban. I will just pay for the bag. If a reusable bag is $1 and they charge me .05 cents, I have to use the bag 20 times to break even. For me it's not worth the hassle of remembering the bags, Washing the bags ( which theoretically will increase my break even point) etc.

What I wonder is how do they charge for the bags? Do the guess how many you will probably use? Do they wait until all your items are bagged before finishing the transaction, thus slowing down the line?

Here's a really far-out libertarian concept: Since when are we owed grocery stores in the first place? Forget about being owed a certain type of bag with our purchases. Who owes us a grocery store? Life, liberty, and a Piggly Wiggly within 5 miles of home?

And, really, we're already paying for the bags. All of them. They're not some charity funded by the local grocery.

The difference is that some stores include them in their overhead so customers don't see the exact price, and other stores (like Aldi) don't include them in their overhead and allow the customers to make the "bagging choice" for themselves. :)

I'm on a mission to make good reusable bags. I think reusable bags should be able to be thrown into the washer on a regular cycle and survive. I don't want to hand wash bags. The way my house is, that would be a total pain in the neck.

Maybe I could start a business. LOL

I carry a couple of Chico bags in my purse (I carry a large purse). They fold up small, wash well (toss in washer, let air dry), and they can carry a good amount.

The right to be given (not to purchase, but to be given) a product or service is not a Libertarian concept.

Guest inoubliable

Here's a really far-out libertarian concept: Since when are we owed grocery stores in the first place? Forget about being owed a certain type of bag with our purchases. Who owes us a grocery store? Life, liberty, and a Piggly Wiggly within 5 miles of home?

Quoting and responding only to say that I really wish we had a Piggly Wiggly nearby. I miss those from summers in NC as a child. I'd be thrilled to carry Piggly Wiggle reusable totes to the supermarket. Too bad the shipping to order them from their website is so much.

That sounds about right to me :tongue_smilie: .

Well, except for the Piggly Wiggly part. We don't have those stores here.

I guess I'd have to change it to Life, Liberty, and the A&P.

And while I'm at it, I think I'd change the distance to around 2 miles for the sake of convenience. ;)

And, really, we're already paying for the bags. All of them. They're not some charity funded by the local grocery.

The difference is that some stores include them in their overhead so customers don't see the exact price, and other stores (like Aldi) don't include them in their overhead and allow the customers to make the "bagging choice" for themselves. :)

I just want them to give me the stupid bags. I know I'm paying for them somewhere along the line, but I don't care. Just have someone pack the groceries in the bags and send me on my way.

I'm a simple person with simple needs.

And FWIW, I wouldn't mind in the slightest if BJ's, Costco, and Sam's charged me a few cents extra here and there so I could get my groceries bagged at those stores, too.

Assuming I'm following you correctly....it isn't really given though. It's part of the purchase price.

Theoretically, then, the price would come down a bit if the bags were gone. (I say theoretically because my local grocery store only ever raises prices, at least lately, so it's really hard to believe the prices would come down.)

If a person wanted disposable shopping bags she could purchase them herself. She would still be able to choose how to bag her groceries. Paper Grocery Sacks for Sale (cheapest option is 500 for $20) I think most people would choose reusable bags, but if somebody really wanted to throw away her grocery sack she still could do so even if the store didn't give her a sack.

Theoretically, then, the price would come down a bit if the bags were gone. (I say theoretically because my local grocery store only ever raises prices, at least lately, so it's really hard to believe the prices would come down.)

Yeah, I don't see it happening at my local stores, either. :glare:

Apparently some folks don't know the definition of either communism or totalitarianism. Sorry folks, they are not pejoratives for anything you don't like.

We use reusable bags by and large. In Seattle, plastic bags are banned and stores have to charge 5 cents for paper. The best I can tell, Seattle doesn't look or feel like a totalitarian society. To say that vastly minimizes the plight faced by people living in actual totalitarian regimes. Seriously? Totalitarianism? What's next, calling a job you don't like feudalism? A poster you don't like Hitler? Oh wait.

Not sure how that's communism, but I don't bring my own bags, and I reuse or recycle all the ones I bring home.1.jpg28.jpg3.jpg5.jpg4.jpg29.jpg

Reported. :glare:

Here we go again. The same troll is back under a new name, copying and pasting direct quotes from other posts as her own. This was originally part of Amy in NH's post.

Doesn't this person have anything better to do with her time? Her posts aren't even original, for crying out loud!

Reported. :glare:

Here we go again. The same troll is back under a new name, copying and pasting direct quotes from other posts as her own. This was originally part of Amy in NH's post.

Doesn't this person have anything better to do with her time? Her posts aren't even original, for crying out loud!

Is it possible a program does that? Some spambot thingie? Or is there an actual person on the other side of every post like that?

Is it possible a program does that? Some spambot thingie? Or is there an actual person on the other side of every post like that?

I don't know. I suspect it's a person, though, because someone has to keep registering under all those new names, and each of the new users only participates in a few discussions, so it's not like they're bombarding the board with hundreds of posts... although one night, two of them were talking to each other. :rolleyes:

I think it's funny that people are getting so emotional about this.

I never knew the paper vs plastic vs reusable bag debate would go the way of the crockpot and the shopping cart, but we're well on our way.... :w00t:

That's 'cuz we're so kewl. :laugh:

Guest inoubliable

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And it will be known for all eternity as The Great Shopping Bag Debacle of 2013.

We'll have tshirts this time, right? "I Survived The Great Shopping Bag Debacle of 2013"? Or... reusable totebags? :leaving:

We'll have tshirts this time, right? "I Survived The Great Shopping Bag Debacle of 2013"? Or... reusable totebags? :leaving:

Reusable tote bags made from tshirts made from recycled plastic bottles.