Menu

What is a good tea?

Lara in Colo

I like plain tea. --- (For my daily usage)

I used to drink Lipton, but lately I find it has no flavor.

I steep it longer and I still cannot get any taste.

I don't have a lot of money for a super special tea.

Is there a decently priced tea that tastes like tea (not berries or spices) and isn't "super" gourmet?

My husband, the tea guy (I'm a coffee girl) likes Bigelow brand because the bags are wrapped in foil packets. He says that they stay fresh longer. His favorite is English Breakfast, but he also likes Oolong and Darjeeling. I like Prince of Wales, but it's a bit less tannic than most black teas.

We found the same thing with Lipton not being as good as regularly. FWIW, my dh also feels that Walmart tea in all brands is sub-par quality. He theorizes that they buy older tea more cheaply from the various producers.

You might like a basic strong black tea, like English or Irish Breakfast Tea by Twining's. Darjeeling also good.

I like the English and Irish Breakfast teas, but I don't like Darjeeling. And don't even get me started on Earl Grey. :ack2: (Almost everyone I know loves both Darjeeling and Earl Grey but they're definitely not for me! :))

I like Irish Breakfast. English breakfast is almost the same but a tad weaker. I add milk and sugar, so I need to taste the tea through that.

I like Trader Joe's, Twinings, and PG tips for everyday, non-gourmet, tea-in-a-bag drinking. Trader Joe's is cheaper by a LOT and just as good. I don't require foil packets because I go through it quickly.

The best tea is loose tea, steeped in a brew basket/diffuser, either in a teapot or a mug. Tea bags come in second, although they're a *closer* second if they are brewed in a teapot instead of in a mug.

I was disappointed in PG Tips. :-(

I was surprised to find out that Lipton makes a loose tea, and that it is quite good (not to mention much less expensive than my favorite high-end teas). Alas, not all stores carry it.

FTR, I always add cream to my tea. :-)

I LOVE TEA!!!!!!!! I am a total addict, but I am the same as you; I love black tea and I don't want it to be frou-frou. This is a link to my new favorite. http://www.amazon.com/Stash-Premium-Christmas-Tea-100-Count/dp/B003D4J0KG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361395829&sr=8-1&keywords=stash+christmas+morning+tea You don't need to get such a big box. I started with a small one, but I loved it so much I threatened my husband with bodily harm if he touched my precious tea. Not very becoming. So, now I get the big box and am generous with sharing it. Except if they dicontinue it. Then I will rue the day that I did not hoard this tea. :sneaky2: I may need to seek out therapy for this addiction. But, I doubt I will. I don't want to be cured. :D

I am leaning towards trying the PG tips----where does one purchase it?

I don't drink much black tea, so I get PG Tips in an 80ct box at Whole Foods whenever I happen to run out. The price of a bundle of two 240ct boxes on Amazon seems good... Just over $28.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001EQ5JLE

I like the English and Irish Breakfast teas, but I don't like Darjeeling. And don't even get me started on Earl Grey. :ack2: (Almost everyone I know loves both Darjeeling and Earl Grey but they're definitely not for me! :))

My mum sings the praises of Earl Grey and tea with milk, I tried it and decided I'd rather be an uncultured heathen than drink that. I think my body developed lactose intolerance as a direct result of that debacle.

:lol: I'm disappointed in this thread.

She did ask for recommendations for *plain* tea. Now, if she'd wanted anything more, ummm, exotic.... we could have had some fun. :D

The best tea is loose tea, steeped in a brew basket/diffuser, either in a teapot or a mug. Tea bags come in second, although they're a *closer* second if they are brewed in a teapot instead of in a mug.

Yep, try a pot, because tea, like tEa, is better for brewing a bit first and when it's good, you might want another. ;)

Darjeeling I like, but Earl Grey....OMG. That bergamon (sp?) stuff is nasty!

Darjeeling I like, but Earl Grey....OMG. That bergamon (sp?) stuff is nasty!

I quite like a Blueberry Tea on a cold, rainy afternoon, but only when out and about, because I don't keep liqueurs at home. It is made with Earl Grey tea, Amaretto, and Grand Marnier.

PG Tips is much better than Lipton and all its tea is Rainforest Alliance certified.

Another vote for PG Tips. I once asked a British woman in an English shop to recommend a decent black tea and she suggested PG Tips. My grocery store carries it.

I can't stand Earl Grey. Dh was drinking it for a while because Picard drinks it, but he gave up. :)

I quite like a Blueberry Tea on a cold, rainy afternoon, but only when out and about, because I don't keep liqueurs at home. It is made with Earl Grey tea, Amaretto, and Grand Marnier.

Hmm...... now I am craving booze (it is snowing here and I am making chili and soup)

I am such a snuggle by the fire type.

I'll bet it would be even better if it wasn't watered down with all that Earl Grey Tea.

Just saying... ;)

I'll bet it would be even better if it wasn't watered down with all that Earl Grey Tea.

Just saying... ;)

But it would be less an afternoon tipple, and more a postprandial.

ETA: I will allow that there are few good Earl Greys out there.

I find that tea bags that are individually wrapped tend to have better taste. So Twinnings and Bigelow are two brands I are carried in my grocery store. My favorites are Earl Grey and Constant Comment (I think this is exclusively Bigelow).

Are you finding your taste has changed with other foods or drinks?

If you want something inexpensive, try Red Rose Tea because it's stronger than Lipton, but not bitter. (It's a regular supermarket brand. I get it at Walmart for around $3.50 for a box of 100 tea bags.)

I was going to suggest this as well. A couple of years ago, I gave up Starbucks iced tea and bought a bunch of plain ol' black teas from my grocery store. I sampled them all (probably 8 or 10 teas) over the course of a week, making them in different strengths, and Red Rose Tea was the clear winner. I brew my tea ridiculously strong, and RRT is, as Cat says, strong without being bitter. My only other suggestion, though it is hard to find, is Royal Cup tea. I actually like it slightly better than RRT, but Royal Cup sells almost exclusively to restaurants and break rooms. I can buy it in huge quantities, but that is probably more of an investment than you would be willing to make for a first try. If you come across it in a restaurant or hotel, though, please give it a try.

Terri

I am leaning towards trying the PG tips----where does one purchase it?

Good choice. I used to have to go to a British import store to find PG tips, but a few years ago I started finding it at grocery stores. It's better than Lipton but not quite as strong as Twining. I really like Twining but it sometimes leaves these annoying oil marks behind on cups and teapots that need to be washed out by hand.

(And, ladies, no snickering about the above remarks. We're talking about real tea here!)

I'm a total fanatic when it comes to tea. That is pretty much all I drink. I prefer black tea. I've tried a lot of varieties and a lot of flavors. My favorite for mornings is Twinings Irish breakfast, early afternoon I switch to Harney's Paris flavor. Then early evening I like Harney's holiday tea, and in the late evenings Harney's Indian Spice or Good Earth Chai.

I'm a total fanatic when it comes to tea. That is pretty much all I drink. I prefer black tea. I've tried a lot of varieties and a lot of flavors. My favorite for mornings is Twinings Irish breakfast, early afternoon I switch to Harney's Paris flavor. Then early evening I like Harney's holiday tea, and in the late evenings Harney's Indian Spice or Good Earth Chai.

This is a new and revealing look at you.!!

I am not sure if I am impressed or sort of frightened.