Is squalid an 8th grade word?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Squalid

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know.
    • Who cares?
    • Monkeys

My 6 year old spelled. Sqoalid. She knew that a certain letter went with Q, but couldn't remember if it was O or U. She guessed (the wrong one, clearly! )

(Edited to add- She didn't know what the word was. She told me that it wasn't a real word. She's still not convinced I'm not just putting her on, because why else would I ask her to spell a random word at 11pm? :lol: )

My 6th grader spelled it correctly, but my 8th grader spelled it squaled. Not that it proves anything, but I find it curious that my younger dd learned how to read and spell using ABeka, and she is a great speller. My older daughter was in public school using various phonics/whole word methods, and she has a little bit tougher time with spelling.

My dd9 spelled it correctly. As she was going out the door she said, "Guess not." I told her she spelled it right, and she said no, the word must not be an eighth grade word because she could spell it. LOL She had read the OP over my shoulder before she left.

My god daughter was in a spelling bee tonight and she did not think this was an 8th grade level word. I did not tell her my kids could spell it, because they memorized The Pear Tree by Edna St. Vincent Millay, and that's one of the first words in it.

So, is squalid an 8th grade level word?

No idea what level it is but my 6th grader just spelled it correctly. For whatever that's worth.

My kindegartner spelled it, but he had to think a long time about the "a" (he talked to himself for awhile--I thought he was going to write "o"). Of course, as a kindergartner, he's right in the midst of learning all that phonics stuff. When you say it slowly you can hear the different parts pretty well, and I did say it slowly for him a few times. Of course he had no idea what it meant (I'd probably have fallen off my chair if he did...lol). I wouId think it's fair as an 8th grade word.