Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week one

Robin M

I was off and on with this in 2012, but I plan to commit in 2013!! :) I'm starting off with "Vintage Ladybug Farm" by Donna Ball... this is a fun series!

As for Margaret Atwood, I have been planning to re-read "The Handmaid's Tale" at some point. It was disturbing but still an engrossing story. I have tried a couple other books of hers but couldn't get into them.

I have boatloads of books to be read between my Kindle and my shelves, so we'll see how many I get through!! :)

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, I'm loving Wolf Hall. It is such intricately-wrought historical fiction -- I see its beauty, but I'm not sure all would (esp. if you're not a fan of historical fiction).

What do you think of 1Q84? It's one I said I would read last year, but I never did. :cool: So, it is a must read for me this year.

I loved The Night Circus too. Such lovely descriptions....

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m really liking 1Q84 so far but I havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t read that much. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m really not sure where it is going which is interesting in itself.

The Night Circus is great. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s funny though as I just finished listening to all the Harry Potter books on audiobook. I listened to them because I had heard that the narrator, Jim Dale, was great. He was fantastic and made them really fun. He is the narrator for The Night Circus also and is just as wonderful, but itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s funny because itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a similar enough topic that I keep getting a little confused when listening. Some of his voices sound similar so IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll think Ă¢â‚¬Å“Wait a second, what is Draco doing in this book?Ă¢â‚¬ :)

I am starting the year with a re-read of Northanger Abby. What better way is there to start a new reading year than with a re-read of Austen? :001_smile:

That sounds lovely!

I am starting the year with a re-read of Northanger Abby. What better way is there to start a new reading year than with a re-read of Austen? :001_smile:

It's one of my favorites, if not my very favorite Jane Austen book. I love how her sense of humor really comes out in that one.

Officially last year (according to Goodreads at least :lol:) I read 150 books :party: I know I read a LOT more than that as I didn't track any nonfiction until I downloaded the Goodreads app sometime during the fall.

I read very quickly :D I also read a mix of lighter fiction (romance and suspense), classics, botany textbooks, cookbooks, nonfiction for dd's education, and other nonfiction (travel, science, food/cooking/baking/nutrition, etc).

I've read three books so far this year but two were started in December. I don't know if I can make fancy links on this iPad, so I'll just list for now:

1. A Cowboy for Christmas by Lori Wilde, gakky title but well-written and surprisingly angsty. I needed something really light to read New Year's Eve/Day and this showed up on the library ebook site.

2. Wallbanger by Alice Clayton, 5 stars. Funny, sweet story about adversaries becoming friends in a larger friend group, then falling in love. Adult content. It's available in paperback and Kindle.

3. The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion, a Christmas gift from dh :) I really enjoyed all the science-of-baking information and techniques/tips/tricks sprinkled throughout the recipes. The chapters on ingredients and tools are great additions to a strong baking cookbook. I want to make at least one recipe from the book every week---this week I made dd's birthday cake using the Devil's Food Cake and Chocolate Buttercream recipes!

This week:

The Deception at Lyme by Carrie Bebris (a Mr. and Mrs. Darcy mystery) Rating 7/10

This series is a pretty decent riff off Jane Austen, but now I find I am missing the real thing and want to go back to her.

A Heart Made New by Kelly Irvin (Bliss Creek Amish, book 2) Rating 6/10

A little more complex than a lot of the Amish fiction. I will keep reading the series.

I am new to the 52 books. I want to get back to reading more. :)

Next up:

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Thomas Cromwell by Robert Hutchinson (since Wolf Hall inspired me to go deeper)

And finally finishing Climbing Parnassus

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m new this year (though I lurked some in last yearsĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ threads). I only read 36 books last year but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m hoping to make it to 52 this year. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m also hoping to do several of the mini challenges. Since IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve already read all of the Anne of Green Gables books I am planning to read MontgomeryĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Emily books for the Canada challenge. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m also considering adding on the Penelopiad by Atwood after I (hopefully) read The Odyssey for the WEM challenge.

Currently reading:

Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll (Audiobook; Continental Challenge - Europe)

The One Year Devotions for Women: Becoming a Woman at Peace by Ann Spangler (Inspiration Project)

The One Year Chronological Bible NLT (Inspiration Project)

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton (Book club selection; Continental Challenge - Australia)

The Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Park (Read-aloud)

When Dad Hurts Mom: Helping Your Child Heal the Wounds of Witnessing Abuse by Lundy Bancroft

The Self-Esteem Workbook by Glenn R. Schiraldi

Finished:

1 - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll **** (Continental Challenge Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Europe)

Another newbie here! I'd like to give 52 books a whirl this year.

I just finished Switch and Getting Things Done, but I won't be counting them for this year's total.

I decided to start off by rereading Pride and Prejudice. The only problem is that now I think I'm going to have to work a movie day in to my schedule. :)

I read voraciously but don't keep track of titles or number of books read -- much of what I read has little literary merit, but I enjoy it all. ** Readers of drivel, rejoice! **

Due to favorable mentions over time in the Book a Week thread, I (well, Santa) put a copy of Kevin Hearne's Hounded in my college daughter's stocking. She finished it in short order and has since bought and read books two and three in the series. I suspect book four will be purchased soon.

Regards,

Kareni

** Readers of drivel, rejoice! **

Hear, hear!

I am trying to reform my ways and actually keep track and comment this year, we'll see if it lasts past January this year. ;)

I finished Grave Dancer: An Alex Craft Novel while DS had his MRI at Children's Hospital today. I'm going to move on to the third book, Grave Memory next. In book two the paranormal seemed to shift from witches to more fae in nature so it will be interesting to see what the emphasis is in the next book. Then I'll have to move on because the 4th book isn't out yet.

Do I need a lit guide for Handmaiden's Tale?

My first book is a YA read-aloud< Pharaoh's Daughter by Julius Lester. A unique story about Moses, written by the son of a Methodist minister who converted to Judaism. Great reading and a totally unique perspective.

I've started 11/22/63 by King and I LOVE how he writes with the exception of the swearing (because I fall back into guttermouthdom) and why, why, WHY does he have to have BLOOD people are coughing up in almost every story. It creeps me out- is that the point? Is this book gonna be a creeper?

I read voraciously but don't keep track of titles or number of books read -- much of what I read has little literary merit, but I enjoy it all. ** Readers of drivel, rejoice! **

Regards,

Kareni

Hear, hear!

I <3 you guys :)

Tomorrow I'm going to tackle the mountain of YA World War 2 fiction and nonfiction to decide what dd should read this month...

I am in a couple other challenges besides reading 52 in 52 so I have 4 books on the go this week, they will likely take me all month to read all 4. I am reading Les Miserables by Victor Hugo(different edition than the linked one), Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, The Handmaid's Tale by margaret Atwood(different edition than the one linked) and Made to Crave by Lysa Terkeurst

Last year I finished the challenge by by the end of Feb had stopped posting what I was reading etc. Hoping this year to post more on the weekly threads with what I am reading and review the books

To those of you who hate Wuthering Heights: :iagree: My thoughts are stolen from a YA book I am horrified to be quoting: "It's not a love story. It's a hate story." That sums it up for me.

Great quote. My thoughts exactly.

You two rock! Thanks for all the suggestions. I definitely want to read One Hundred Years of Solitude this year. I've only read one book by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and that was way back in college - barely remember it. Same thing with Isabel Allende. Murakami is an author I have yet to read and am intrigued by. I think I'll try to match some of these up with the continent challenge. I just put in a request for my library to get Hopscotch; I'd love to join in on that one.

:hurray:

I really enjoyed a lot of those mentioned. I intend to read IQ84 this year after loving The Wind Up Bird Chronicles last. I guess I should look not Hopscotch as well. Like Water for Chocolate is another one n the magical realism category that I enjoyed.

Nice to see another fan of magical realism/surrealism on the thread! :seeya:

Note to Stacia: Gillespie & I is a library copy, otherwise I'd pass it along to you after I finish it.

That's sweet, Jane! No worries. I wish my library had it, but at least I requested it over a year ago on PBS, so now I'm near the 'front' of the line to get a copy. (Not like my shelves are empty in the meantime, lol...!)

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m really liking 1Q84 so far but I havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t read that much. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m really not sure where it is going which is interesting in itself. The Night Circus is great. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s funny though as I just finished listening to all the Harry Potter books on audiobook. I listened to them because I had heard that the narrator, Jim Dale, was great. He was fantastic and made them really fun. He is the narrator for The Night Circus also and is just as wonderful, but itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s funny because itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a similar enough topic that I keep getting a little confused when listening. Some of his voices sound similar so IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll think Ă¢â‚¬Å“Wait a second, what is Draco doing in this book?Ă¢â‚¬ :)

I'm really looking forward to reading 1Q84. I wonder if reading Orwell's 1984 again would be helpful for any references?

I had forgotten that Jim Dale is the reader of The Night Circus. :lol: about Draco invading the book.

I am going to try The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. It was mentioned on a thread here a couple of weeks ago.

That whole series of books is really fun, imo.

Due to favorable mentions over time in the Book a Week thread, I (well, Santa) put a copy of Kevin Hearne's Hounded in my college daughter's stocking. She finished it in short order and has since bought and read books two and three in the series. I suspect book four will be purchased soon.

:thumbup1:

I've started 11/22/63 by King and I LOVE how he writes with the exception of the swearing (because I fall back into guttermouthdom) and why, why, WHY does he have to have BLOOD people are coughing up in almost every story. It creeps me out- is that the point? Is this book gonna be a creeper?

I've never read King because I always felt his books would creep me out too badly. But, last year, I thought I'd try 11/22/63 because the premise seemed pretty interesting. And, then, in the first hundred pages or so, he mentioned the guy coughing up blood. And mentioned it again. And again. And pointed out the maxi pad that he has to cough into because it's so bad. And again. Ad nauseum. I mean, really? I think I got it by the 15th mention or so. By the 95th mention, I was just done. Period. (No pun intended. ;) ) Beating the same (gross) point over & over is not my idea of a fun or an interesting book.

I read that last year and it is not creepy at all in my opinion. I thought the whole time travel aspect was really interesting. There are moments of violence but it is Stephen King after all.

The blogging thing is what I have to work around. I'm just not that dependable at it.

So far this week I've read The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbs. I've started reading The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbs to night.

I'm also working on The Six Sacred Stones by Matthew Riley

Page 4 already! Wow!

I'm also a newbie joining in. i started following you all late last year and am excited to try and read 52 books!

Right now I'm reading Herodotus' Histories, History of the Medieval World, and will start The Handmaid's Tale. I also have a couple/three others on the back burner, but want to read a little more Ancients and Medieval before I progress too further.

I'm doing a 5/5/5 challenge, of a sort, I guess:

5 Ancients

5 Medieval

5 Dusty Books

5 Chunksters

5 Continents (Doing the Continental)

We'll see how I do.....

I finished my first book of the year, which I hoped would be the last one of 2012 but didn't get done in time, Did Jesus Exist? by Bart D. Ehrman. I found this one fascinating and will read more. I actually have Misquoting Jesus sitting on the shelf already. I bought it a couple of years ago after hearing Ehrman interviewed in NPR but never actually got around to reading. I've bumped it up on the mental list for after I finish the stack of other religion-themed books I have checked out from the library.

Fortuitiously, my husband gave me a new Charles de Lint book for Christmas, The Painted Boy, which I'm going through in small chunks and will serve nicely for the Canadian challenge.

I'm also listening to the audio version of In the Land of Believers: An Outsider's Extraordinary Journey into the Heart of the Evangelical Church, by Gina Welch. It's not grabbing and holding my attention as well as some other, similar books I've read, but I'm enjoying it during morning walks and while doing household chore stuff.

I just wanted to say this seems to be a really fun challenge so thank you for organizing it! I have really enjoyed the thread and gotten several great ideas for future reads. I never looked at a single thread last year because I hadn't joined at the start of the year.

I just did my research on Hounded and the library has a copy. I can't wait!

I'm a huge Stephen King fan. I read this book last year and could not put it down. It's not creepy at all. It's one of his more mind-bending stories. I must be immune to all the gore because I don't remember that much about the coughing blood!

I signed up and restarted my blog - began 6-7 years ago at the beginning of my hsing journey, but didn't use it after 2007!!! I'm trying to do better this time!

And, I'm starting the year out with Stuart McLean's Revenge of the Vinyl Cafe. He is a wonderful writer. I love listening to him on podcasts or audiobooks - just don't drink while listening - you're liable to spew!

Next is Ruins by Orson Scott Card. It's the second in a YA series. I've just about finished Pathfinder. These fall into the Chunky category!

I plan on reading more Canadian literature this year. I discovered I love Pierre Burton's books too. Being Canadian makes me more interested in Canadian history.

I love most, if not all historical fiction (Rutherford's books, Galbadon, Gregory) I think I'd like to get into more historical non-fiction too (like Berton)

I had a lot of fun doing this last year, even though I started forgetting to check in around September. :)

This week's reads are: Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger, Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeannette Winterson, and The Woman Who Married a Cloud by Jonathan Carroll. I'm still slowly plodding through the latter. Carroll's writing is wonderful, as always, but I've discovered I have a hard time being engaged by short stories for very long, and this is a truly chunky book.

I've also started the second book in The Incorrible Children of Ashton Place series (The Hidden Gallery) as a read-aloud with DS 11; we enjoyed the first one very much, and so far this one is just as silly and enjoyable. DS loves the author's asides to the reader, as well as her use of vocabulary.

Not sure yet if I'll join in on any of the reading challenges, although I do have a goal of whittling down my huge TBR pile and getting done with some of the dusty books there. Reading this thread isn't helping much with that though, as I always end up adding more books to my wishlists. I'm trying to resist buying Wolf Hall, as I seem to have the second book on my Kindle. I do know I'll be skipping the Canadian authors challenge. Growing up in Canada, I've read enough Farley Mowat and Margaret Laurence to last a lifetime! (I do enjoy most of Margaret Atwood's books, but I'm not in the mood to reread. :) ).

Wow! I am bowled-over by all the entries already and the great books everyone is reading! I have started Cotillion, by Georgette Heyer. This is shaping up to be a busy week; I hope I can find reading time!

Cotillion was one of my 5 star books from 2012!! I laughed out loud more than once!

Regarding Shakespeare: I used to love Branagh but now am eh. The most recent / best movie performances I've seen both have Patrick Stewart: Hamlet (w David Tennant as Hamlet -- swoon!!) and Macbeth (OMG now my most favorite Shakespeare ever; Disclaimer: it is extremely violent and bloody though so I would preview for under 17's. Those witches are flippin' scary :eek:)

My goodness were they scary!! My Shakespeare group last year watched this version. And definitely swooning for David Tennant's portrayal of Hamlet! Dd18 LOVES this version!

I was going to join, but it looks like you all read actual, quality books, not the drivel I read. ;-).

I love drivel and happily admit to loving Twilight :laugh: I have learned just as much, or sometimes more, from my drivel reads than from some of the books some people call quality literature.

Me too. I'm reading on my Kindle and I'm only at 10%. Not far enough to be so hooked that I'm willing to give up copious amounts of sleep to finish the book. That's normally how my chunksters get finished. :) Keep me updated on your progress because I'm chugging right along with you. Eye of the World (Wheel of Time 1)by Robert Jordan

I'm on page 388.

I am going to try The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. It was mentioned on a thread here a couple of weeks ago.

I love this series! Flavia has got to be the most incorrigible, eccentric 11 year old ever!

This week: The Deception at Lyme by Carrie Bebris (a Mr. and Mrs. Darcy mystery) Rating 7/10 This series is a pretty decent riff off Jane Austen, but now I find I am missing the real thing and want to go back to her.

Next up: The Host by Stephenie Meyer

I discovered the Mr. & Mrs. Darcy mystery series last year. Thoroughly enjoyed them all. The Deception at Lyme and The Intrigue at Highbury were my favorites.

I read The Host a couple years ago. I actually couldn't put it down and have no clue what the kids were doing in the three days it took me to read it. :rofl: I was hoping to find time to reread it before the movie came out but I'm not sure I will. It was a book out of my comfort zone but what a ride.

I'll give this challenge another try. I've only made it a few weeks in previous years and never remember to post. I'm going to start out with Ken Follett's Fall of Giants. I decided to read a sample yesterday on a whim and was hooked. I read Pillars of the Earth and liked it but lost interest in the next book, so hopefully this won't happen with this trilogy. And hopefully the second book will go down in price. $19.99 for the kindle version!?!?!?

Okay, so I finally figured out my 5/5/5 challenge reads. This is in addition to the Continental, Inspirational, and WEM challenges I'm also doing.

5 Chunksters

5 Vintage Mysteries (thanks, Paisley Hedgehog for sharing this phrase!)

5 Plays

5 Non-Fictions

5 books out of my comfort zone

I was going to join, but it looks like you all read actual, quality books, not the drivel I read. ;-).

I have a question. How do you all utilize audio books? I love the idea of them but it seems as soon as I put headphones on all the kids suddenly want to talk to me. I can't get into them while I'm running. I need the beat of he music. Am I just hopeless?

I read a lot (37 books on my kindle alone last year), but I feel I could read so much more if I could utilize audio books!

I use audiobooks for the times I need to use my hands but have ears available. IE, driving in the car (30 minutes to and from my part time job), when I am painting something (which I do fairly often), when I am folding laundry (I wash and dry several loads, toss 'em on my bed as they come from the dryer, then settle in later for a longer listen as I fold session).

Here's what I've discovered: the profanity is shocking (to me, anyway, at first). I started listening to audiobooks of children's literature and nonfiction works. As I ventured into adult literature, I was surprised to hear hear those words spoken aloud. It's just different than reading them! I have learned to be aware of what younger ears might be listening at the same time, and be careful with that.

Glad to see Handmaid's Tale get such chatter, I will keep it in my stack and hopefully finish it before the end of January.

I began doing this back in 2009 as well, but remember having some blog issue I couldn't resolve so I never really participated, but I've still been reading. I want to participate because everyone I talk to thinks I am insane for feeling like I should read 52 books a year!!

I loved Vanity Fair when I read it about 10 years ago, and I'll post some Wuthering Heights comments in a bit.

Thinking I should read Anne of green Gables because I never have.

I've already read Betrayal by Danielle Steel, which was not as good as hers can be. It is from last year so maybe she is slowing down or running out of ideas. I read a lot of hers last year because I was trying to stay away from weighty non-fiction. Echoes was so beautiful I may read it again.

I gave up on Alias Grace at about 15% on my Kindle. It just wasn't grabbing me and there are too many good books available to waste my time on the ones I'm not enjoying. I've moved on to Shoeless Joe, still Canadian, also dusty. It grabbed me quickly, although I don't know how much of that is due to having seen Field of Dreams. I think I would be enjoying the book even if I didn't see the movie.

I'm also still reading Democracy in America, but I only read it in the mornings while having my coffee (and after I shake the morning cobwebs out of my head). By evening, I can only read fluff because my brain just doesn't want to work hard, even though I *need* to read before going to sleep.

I have several books going in relation to my studies of Ancient Greece:

Classical Mythology (text) by Morford and Lenardon

The Library of Greek Mythology by Apollodorus

Works and Days, Theogony by Hesiod

The Oxford Illustrated History of the Hellenistic World

The Nature of Greek Myths by G.S. Kirk

These are being read in conjunction with a couple of the Teaching Company courses:

Classical Mythology with Elizabeth Vandiver

Masterpieces of Ancient Greek Literature

Since these books are ongoing and will cover several weeks of studying, I am also continuing with the lecture series, A Day's Read. This week's selection is Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges.

I am finally attempting to start a blog to go along with this project, but am finding it much easier to do the reading than the blogging.

I'm jumping in again this year, I think I only read a dozen or so books last year. Some were big and hefty though! I'll be blogging.

First up I'm reading Classics in the Classroom from MCT. It's short and will hopefully give me some motivation to read more classics. I'm not sure of my 5/5/5 challenge yet, but one of those 5's will be Classics for sure. Hmm, actually I think another 5 will be music/piano themed.

As for the Canadian theme, I've had Alias Grace by Atwood on my list for ages, I might give it a go. I just downloaded the sample onto my kindle, if I like it I'll get it from the library I think...

I never looked at a single thread last year because I hadn't joined at the start of the year.

I had been lurking for more than a year, and finally decided to jump in last year. I did it somewhere in the middle of the year, though I don't remember quite when. I'm so glad I did, as it's now my favorite thread on these boards.

It's far, far too easy to buy Kindle books at the drop of a hat!! But then again, that's part of the appeal!

I do my best to always check the library first. I also check several of the blogs and websites that list free or discounted Kindle books. If I really really want to read a book on my Kindle I go ahead and buy it, but I try all of the free or cheap options first.

I saw that one of his books is on the Continental Challenge. Should I plan on reading his books in a series order or do they stand alone?

It's best to start with Seven Deadly Wonders, then the Stones then the Warriors.

I wish he would finish the 4th in this series.

If you are interested in his Scarcrow series, those are also best read in order.

ETA: I just went to Riley's website to see if there is any word on the next jack west series. Seems Riley's wife died a year ago around the first of December. I guess that is why things have been on hold.

ETAA: I forgot about Contest and Temple. Both of those are stand alone novels.

My first book is The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth. So far I really like it! The book is different and better than the PBS series, which I expected. I do wish I had read the book before watching the show, because now I can only see and hear the characters as they were on TV.

I am also slowly working through How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber, withholding an opinion on this until I can get a little further into it.

Yes, it's been here for a while and I hope you enjoy it. I have a hold on the next one in the series which is being released this month.

Colin Firth......swoon..... :wub:

David Rintoul was a much better D'arcy, IMO, and I think much better looking as well :) david-rintoul-02.jpg

It's far, far too easy to buy Kindle books at the drop of a hat!! But then again, that's part of the appeal! :) Ugh... 11/22/63 is on my list and already downloaded. I'll make sure to not be snacking while I read or anything.

I was thinking of buing an Kindle, but when I was checking them out at a local store, they gave me the same feeling I get from the cell phone, so I'd be up all night if I read on those. Not too happy about that, either.

I signed up and restarted my blog - began 6-7 years ago at the beginning of my hsing journey, but didn't use it after 2007!!! I'm trying to do better this time! And, I'm starting the year out with Stuart McLean's Revenge of the Vinyl Cafe. He is a wonderful writer. I love listening to him on podcasts or audiobooks - just don't drink while listening - you're liable to spew! Next is Ruins by Orson Scott Card. It's the second in a YA series. I've just about finished Pathfinder. These fall into the Chunky category! I plan on reading more Canadian literature this year. I discovered I love Pierre Burton's books too. Being Canadian makes me more interested in Canadian history. I love most, if not all historical fiction (Rutherford's books, Galbadon, Gregory) I think I'd like to get into more historical non-fiction too (like Berton)

The first time I ever heard of the Vinyl Cafe I was visiting my family, and the first story I ever heard (while driving) was the one where Dave decides to add an outlet for the toaster, and yes, we laughed so hard, we'd have spewed. However, some of his stories are poignant rather than hilarious :).

I'll give this challenge another try. I've only made it a few weeks in previous years and never remember to post. I'm going to start out with Ken Follett's Fall of Giants. I decided to read a sample yesterday on a whim and was hooked. I read Pillars of the Earth and liked it but lost interest in the next book, so hopefully this won't happen with this trilogy. And hopefully the second book will go down in price. $19.99 for the kindle version!?!?!?

FWIW, I liked the second one better than the first, and I liked Pillars of the Earth far better than the sequel, which is the only Follett book I just couldn't get through. I did like Fall of Giants better than the sequel to Pillars, as well. What ruined the sequel of Pillars isn't likely to happen in this series, at least I that's what I'm hoping.

It's best to start with Seven Deadly Wonders, then the Stones then the Warriors.

I wish he would finish the 4th in this series.

If you are interested in his Scarcrow series, those are also best read in order.

ETA: I just went to Riley's website to see if there is any word on the next jack west series. Seems Riley's wife died a year ago around the first of December. I guess that is why things have been on hold.

ETAA: I forgot about Contest and Temple. Both of those are stand alone novels.

Thanks! I'll check for a webste.

Someone just had to mention Jennifer Estep so now I'm off to try the Elemental Assasin series.

Can you tell I'm putting off a The Handmaid's Tale? All this talk about Fundamentalists has me worried. Maybe I can delay it until next week!

Does anyone have a recommendation from the prime lending library for this month?