Menu

I'd Like To Go On Record Stating That I HATE....

astrid

Mannheim Steamroller. I think I"m the only one on the planet. I just hate it. HaTe it. HATE IT.

I know I"m in the minority, so I don't expect a JAWM party. But if anyone feels similarly, I won't fee quite so alone on my Mannheim-free island. :seeya:

astrid

Preach it sister. In fact I started a Christmas music thread yesterday where I mentioned my hatred of them too!

My husband LOVES them and I just want to drive needles into my eardrums any time I hear their music. I have a real dislike for fake/synthesized musical instruments and he's a child of the '80s. 'Nuff said.

I can't stand them either. They were VERY popular back when I was in jazz choir in high school. Hated their hokey crap then, still hate it now. Sure, they can actually sing (sans autotuning), but for heck's sake, sing something good!

ETA: I just realized that I was thinking of Manhattan Transfer, which I also hate. Still hate Mannheim Steamroller, though. I hate them all. ALL, I say!!

Mannheim Steamroller. I think I"m the only one on the planet. I just hate it. HaTe it. HATE IT.

I know I"m in the minority, so I don't expect a JAWM party. But if anyone feels similarly, I won't fee quite so alone on my Mannheim-free island. :seeya:

astrid

Looks like we're in this together! :seeya:

Me, too! Me, too!

And I detest Charlotte Church and her 4 note range. And I am overcome with a mad urge to slap Josh Groban whenever he appears. I don't know why.

Oh yes! Josh Groban keeps doing opera pieces. He doesn't sing opera. He sings popera. It's not the same thing at all. Just move over and shut up already. Let the professionals handle that, please. PLEASE!!!

The one my parents repeatedly played that drove me nuts was Barbra Streisand's Christmas album, but I might not have been so peeved had they not made me sit through Yentl. Twice.

They are horrid. I'm with you.

And if I have to listen to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra one more time....my kids' current favorite, I may slam my head in a door.

Give me Christmas Pops on XM Radio anytime.

Or even Johnny Cash Christmas.

Oh, I *love* Christmas Pops. Of course I listen to the Pops station regularly anyway. I also like the Holiday Traditions station that is on the '40's channel this season (XM4).

The one my parents repeatedly played that drove me nuts was Barbra Streisand's Christmas album, but I might not have been so peeved had they not made me sit through Yentl. Twice.

I figure if we listen to Johnny Mathis doing Kol Nidre on Yom Kippur, then Barbra Streisand is perfect for Christmas.

Mannheim Steamroller is perfect, never :D

Can't stand 'em.

Bill

I can't stand it, either. Funny story: I got married right around Christmas and we invited my inlaws who were from across the country to join our "yankee swap" style gift exchange. She apparently didn't get what we were doing so she brought 7 copies of the same Manheim Steamroller CD. It completely ruined the exchange because we figured out immediately what was in those packages and nobody wanted them.

Well, I have never heard of them, so I don't know what they sound like. I'd check it out, but I am suspicious from what others say that I wouldn't like it either.

Highly synthesized techno Christmas music with a lot of unusual instruments (like toy piano) thrown in.

You'd probably recognize some of it. It often makes the Muzak playlist in retail stores this time of year.

I can't stand it, either. Funny story: I got married right around Christmas and we invited my inlaws who were from across the country to join our "yankee swap" style gift exchange. She apparently didn't get what we were doing so she brought 7 copies of the same Manheim Steamroller CD. It completely ruined the exchange because we figured out immediately what was in those packages and nobody wanted them.

:rofl: What a horrible exchange!

OP, I don't like them, either. Not really fair since I didn't give them much of a chance but you are so not alone.

I thought they were the same thing. I grant that it makes no sense, as they have completely different names, but I've always conflated them.

I was just thinking the same... Wait! Aren't they the same? Obviously not, what with the different names.. Duh. :tongue_smilie:

I figure if we listen to Johnny Mathis doing Kol Nidre on Yom Kippur, then Barbra Streisand is perfect for Christmas.

I reserve the right to avoid both. :)

OK, I'm with you on Mannheim, but I just love TSO. We've seen them in concert several times as a family -- they put on the most incredible show! Seriously, we've been to a LOT of concerts, and this just blew us away. We have all their CDs!

But Mannheim is just blech!

Bill

Hey now, I posted some quality stuff. Fahey's are always the first Christmas albums we put on (on December 18, and not a minute earlier).

astrid

Nope... I don't like them either. I'd heard of them for years and then a friend gave me a CD a few years ago and I was aghast. Yuck.

They are horrid. I'm with you.

And if I have to listen to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra one more time....my kids' current favorite, I may slam my head in a door.

Give me Christmas Pops on XM Radio anytime.

Or even Johnny Cash Christmas.

My dd decided she wanted to learn their Canon in D Christmas Song this year. :banghead: I get to listen to it 4 times each day. :banghead: Or at least the first half. :banghead: Each and Every Day. :banghead:

I actually like them the first few days of the Christmas Season, but they get WAY OVERPLAYED on the radio and Christmas stations, so by 12/5, 12/10 at the latest, I hate them. And well, with DD playing their music and the early Thanksgiving, I didn't even make it to December 1st!