Menu

"You call this a happy family? Why did we have to have all these kids?"

I understand that feeling. I don't use the quote from the movie on those days. I usually in a loud, barking kind of voice yell (not screaming, more drill sergeant kind of yell). "We are a happy family dammit! And we are having fun and loving each other! Can't you tell? This is fun! This is us happy!"

Kids and adults alike can not do anything but laugh when someone starts saying that.

I have only 2 kids, yet it's one of my favorite quotes to throw around on crazy days. The 3 dogs probably add to the chaos and sometimes I change it to "Why do we have to have all these dogs?"

A friend of mine thinks of me every year when she watches the movie and hears the quote b/c I told her that when I was a kid it really upset me whenever that part of the movie came on. Of course, now I totally get it.

My kids say it doesn't bother them. I'm not sure if that's bad or good.

I say that too but I get confused with the line from the Cosby show that is so similar... One of them asks, "why did we have four kids?" The other resonds,"because we did not want five." And then a few episodes later a fifth Child comes home from college.

Am I the only person in the world who has not seen that movie?

Nope. I haven't either.

No.

We should shun them until they watch it! ::skips off to write test questions:

I say that too but I get confused with the line from the Cosby show that is so similar... One of them asks, "why did we have four kids?" The other resonds,"because we did not want five." And then a few episodes later a fifth Child comes home from college.

I think they made a few changes after the first season? Episode? They just never acknowledged them. I don't think Claire even started off as a lawyer.

GASP!!! I didn't know it was possible to have not seen that movie! :D

Definitely one of our favorite Christmas movies that we watch every year, along with Miracle on 34th Street, Elf, The Santa Claus, A Christmas Story (the Red-Rider BB Gun movie), Rudolph, Charlie Brown, and The Grinch.

Only a few more weeks and it's time to begin! :lol:

I understand that feeling. I don't use the quote from the movie on those days. I usually in a loud, barking kind of voice yell (not screaming, more drill sergeant kind of yell). "We are a happy family dammit! And we are having fun and loving each other! Can't you tell? This is fun! This is us happy!"

Kids and adults alike can not do anything but laugh when someone starts saying that.

Now that reminds me of Clark Griswold. :D

I love the movie "Its a wonderful life." I probably have it memorized.

Am I the only one who uses this quote tongue in cheek on those crazy, chaotic, insane days?

I have another friend with 4 kids and they use it too.

I haven't seen that movie in a long time. Love that quote.

That quote reminds me of an episode of "The Middle" when the dad is talking to his brother and says something about "the kids" and the brother says, "the kids? You still have them?" To which the dad responds, " yeah, the law says we have to keep them till they're 18."

Edited by KrissiK

I don't use it, but I should :)

I say, "this is a _______, not a circus" from Les Mis a lot. Like, "this is a minivan, not a circus!" to shut kids up.

When we went to Egypt we had a tour guide who gave a speech when everyone got on the bus: "no smoking, no drinking, this is BUS, not disco!" I use that all the time. :D