Menu

NYC Mayor's Interpreter - Just a vent!

Since I ofter require a sign language interpreter and I am my girls all have hearing loss, any time something related to ASL or deafness is in the news my interest is piqued.

However, the coverage regarding Lydia Callis, the sign language interpreter that covered Mayor Bloomberg's press conferences has me totally steaming!! Please understand this is not directed at Ms. Callis at all; from the clips I watched, she is an excellent interpreter and did an outstanding job of conveying critical information in an emergency situation. She was completely professional; it's the media comments regarding her signing that I am not happy about.

What her interpretation is NOT:

"a performance"

"dramatic gesticulations"

"facial contortions"

"stylized"

"acting out"

and all the other idiotic things said by columnists, reports, and bloggers who have no concept of what makes ASL the beautiful language that it is.

Those "facial expressions"? In ASL, they are called "non-manual markers" and they are actually part of the grammar of the language. Watch any competent signer and you will see the same things that Ms. Callis did. The fact that this was a press conference regarding a serious and emotional event allowed for more use of those non-manual markers needed to convey the seriousness of the subject matter.

"Acting out"? ASL signs are not "acting out"; some signs resemble the thing they represent so a non-signer may recognize some of those easily. Also, another part of ASL is the use of "classifiers" - a legitimate part of the language with form and structure; it's not a game of charades!

Oh, and the code of ethics for interpreters calls for them to always and only facilitate communication. They must never become a party to the situation. Saying she "stole the show" and upstaged the mayor is actually an insult to her professionalism - which I don't think happened, but is the way it is being described by some.

I am very glad that NYC was cognizant of its population with hearing loss that uses ASL and that Ms. Callis was given such a prominent place in the press conference, assuring she was seen by TV viewers. She did an excellent job. I am sad that those writing about her are letting their stupidity about sign language and the interpreting profession hang out when their intent is to praise her, they are actually insulting the beautiful language that is her lively hood.

I don't think we would tolerate the same types of comments being made about someone interpreting into another language, such as Spanish.

I'm with Karen. She looks like a regular ASL interpreter. Are there people who have never seen ASL before? It seems weird and uninformed to call that dramatic or a performance. It was someone communicating information, just like the mayor was.

Odd.

Wendi

Edited by Wendi

You need to copy your post, OP, and send it to the NY Times Op/Ed page. I'm sure they'd print it as a letter to the editor.

:iagree:

I'm just returning from an event where no one was sympathetic to seating for the hearing impaired and wishing I just stayed home. :( So I'm in a mood. After all the headlines I finally saw her interpret for the mayor and was even more surprised at the bad press she got.

Tamara- Thank you for your professional explanation....we did smile at her facial expressions but now, I understand it much better. :)

What I really objected to was Mr. Bloomberg's butchering of the Spanish. Oh goodness. They should NOT allow that man to speak it in public. Horrid. And my 1st language is English but have lived long enough in Latin America to recognize an awful accent- he 'gringo-ized' it horribly! :tongue_smilie:

Tamara- Thank you for your professional explanation....
Yes, Thank you.

We have enjoyed the mayor's press conferences with the sole purpose of watching the interpreter. We have found it very fascinating. We knew that much of interpreting successfully was in the finer details, but your explanations were wonderful.

It's funny, I never notice most ASL interpreters, but I couldn't take my eyes off her the other day. I think she played up the facial expressions more than most, but I didn't see it negatively at all. Just like some people are very animated when they speak.

Since I ofter require a sign language interpreter and I am my girls all have hearing loss, any time something related to ASL or deafness is in the news my interest is piqued.

However, the coverage regarding Lydia Callis, the sign language interpreter that covered Mayor Bloomberg's press conferences has me totally steaming!! Please understand this is not directed at Ms. Callis at all; from the clips I watched, she is an excellent interpreter and did an outstanding job of conveying critical information in an emergency situation. She was completely professional; it's the media comments regarding her signing that I am not happy about.

What her interpretation is NOT:

"a performance"

"dramatic gesticulations"

"facial contortions"

"stylized"

"acting out"

and all the other idiotic things said by columnists, reports, and bloggers who have no concept of what makes ASL the beautiful language that it is.

Those "facial expressions"? In ASL, they are called "non-manual markers" and they are actually part of the grammar of the language. Watch any competent signer and you will see the same things that Ms. Callis did. The fact that this was a press conference regarding a serious and emotional event allowed for more use of those non-manual markers needed to convey the seriousness of the subject matter.

"Acting out"? ASL signs are not "acting out"; some signs resemble the thing they represent so a non-signer may recognize some of those easily. Also, another part of ASL is the use of "classifiers" - a legitimate part of the language with form and structure; it's not a game of charades!

Oh, and the code of ethics for interpreters calls for them to always and only facilitate communication. They must never become a party to the situation. Saying she "stole the show" and upstaged the mayor is actually an insult to her professionalism - which I don't think happened, but is the way it is being described by some.

I am very glad that NYC was cognizant of its population with hearing loss that uses ASL and that Ms. Callis was given such a prominent place in the press conference, assuring she was seen by TV viewers. She did an excellent job. I am sad that those writing about her are letting their stupidity about sign language and the interpreting profession hang out when their intent is to praise her, they are actually insulting the beautiful language that is her lively hood.

I don't think we would tolerate the same types of comments being made about someone interpreting into another language, such as Spanish.

I know nothing of ASL but I understand your post. I think I might have a seen that lady during one of Bloomberg's press conferences. The interpretation seemed to involved a lot more of the body that I am used to seeing in interpretations but your quotes about the media made is seem like they thought they were witnessing a mime or something :glare: .

I saw clips from the press conference, and I agree with everyone, I don't know what on earth the media was on about. They way they talk, she was supplementing her translation with some kind of interpretive dance or something. At the college I went to, there were ASL translators in quite a few of the classes, and this lady didn't seem to do it any differently than they did. *shrug*

What I really objected to was Mr. Bloomberg's butchering of the Spanish. Oh goodness. They should NOT allow that man to speak it in public. Horrid. And my 1st language is English but have lived long enough in Latin America to recognize an awful accent- he 'gringo-ized' it horribly! :tongue_smilie:

Check out El Bloombito on Twitter here:

http://twitter.com/ElBloombito

His Spanish has become legendary (and lightens up the darkest electrical outages).

I haven't seen any of the coverage, so I looked her up on YouTube.

. She's doing a fine job. Only idiots...'scuse me...ignorant people would make the comments they have about her interpreting.

FTR, I interpreted at my church for five or six years. :-)

I thought I'd pass along this article about the interpreter.

That was fascinating -- thanks for sharing it. I knew ASL used facial expressions, but that article did a great job of explaining parts of the youtube clip. She does seem very good, and I'm glad they thought to have her there. Tamara, I'm sorry that the media doesn't seem to get it; I also think you should send your post to someone.

Deaf people can't hear the tone of the speaker's voice so they depend heavily on facial expressions.

Also, they read lips along with signs so this interpretor did an excellent job of enunciating the words while signing which is hard to do. She was more animated than average but I'm sure it's because of the nature of the message about the storm which is certainly quite dramatic in itself.

I agree with the OP. My daughter's godmother is an interpreter and my daughter has seriously considered a career in that field. I've seen Godmother in action and she is very much like Lydia Callis. I thought the media slathering on about her was rather condescending to the deaf community.

Agreeing with others that Tamara should send her post into the NYTimes.