Menu

We're on vacation in the Florida keys, and I have 2 questions about food/shopping.

First, in general, is it cheaper to shop at Winn Dixie or Publix? We don't have those back home, but here they are my only options.

Second, and more importantly :D...

We will be here on my birthday. It's me, dh, Zee, and Moose. We're in Marathon. I'd love restaurant recs. Major bonus points if the place has an AWESOME chocolate dessert, since I'm on a major diet but I'm splurging on my birthday. :001_smile:

Edited by bethanyniez
a chocolate deSert is a whole other thing, now isn't it.

Winn Dixie has better deals on meat usually, but Publix has better BOGOs. If you aren't shopping sales, they are about the same.

Sorry, I can't help with the restaurant. Happy birthday though!

Just know that in Florida, due to state law, you have to buy both of the BOGO items. One is paid for in full, one free. In many states, like mine, you can buy one for half off.

Winn Dixie might be cheaper, but it's generally an old, nasty, from the 70's grocery store (unless it's a rare new one). Publix is almost always nice, clean, super friendly...just a "feels better to shop here" place.

:iagree: My in-laws are in Plantation, the clientel that shops at that Winn Dixie tend to be a bit more on the sketchy side. Publix is a very nice store.

Publix has a great bakery! You can land your chocolate something there and have leftovers!!

:iagree: You can also choose their Publix Premium Chocolate Trinity ice cream (a true half gallon worth!) to top it off with!

Don't bother with Winn Dixie. Go to Publix, don't even cook - just get food from the deli and bakery - it's all delicious!!

Nothing compares to Publix (not even Harris Teeter).

Shopping at Publix means I'm in Florida on vacation! Shopping at Food Lion means I'm on the Outer Banks and shopping at Piggly Wiggly means I'm in South Carolina. If you're Florida-head to Publix :001_smile:.

:iagree: shopping at Publix means vacation in Florida. :001_smile:

We love that store!

Enjoy your vacation!!

It has been a long long time since I have had a publix cake since dh is gluten free, but they make great cakes.

The New York Style Cheesecake is technically gf, however celiacs should probably not eat it due to cross contamination. So if cross contamination is not an issue that cheesecake is so darn good. I used to eat it all the time before my diagnosis. You can even get it with a layer of chocolate on top.

I concur with everyone else.....Publix.

Ditto what others said about Winn Dixie vs. Publix. There are some nice new WD stores, but most are old and nasty. Publix is more expensive on nearly everything (and I have a lot of choices here to compare it to) but it's clean and everything is fresh. Employees are usually friendly and super helpful.

Winn Dixie might be cheaper, but it's generally an old, nasty, from the 70's grocery store (unless it's a rare new one). Publix is almost always nice, clean, super friendly...just a "feels better to shop here" place.

:iagree: It's worth the extra few pennies to shop at Publix.

We had our wedding cake done by Publix, and it was both beautiful AND delicious.

Edited by Amy in NH

I beg to differ :tongue_smilie:. Ours here in town are nice and they aren't new, but oh how I wish we had Publix :D. I would go because they are generally bigger and have a better selection.

Ditto what others said about Winn Dixie vs. Publix. There are some nice new WD stores, but most are old and nasty. Publix is more expensive on nearly everything (and I have a lot of choices here to compare it to) but it's clean and everything is fresh. Employees are usually friendly and super helpful.

The WD here is old and yet just as or even more expensive than the Publix.