Menu

If you live on the East Coast

I am in MD just north of DC in Silver Spring. It has been raining all.day.long with steady winds right around 40 miles per hour with gusts up towards 60 every now and again. Some of my neighbors have some water coming in, but so far we are doing okay. The rain and wind is very steady, though, and don't have any signs of letting up anytime soon!

hey - we're neighbors! Yes, the rain has been non-stop. We live at the top of a hill and the way our house is situated I think we're pretty safe from the worst of the winds that may come.

I'm in Columbia. THIS SUCKS! I'm convinced that each gust will bring a tree through my hose. I can handle anything else. We're sleeping downstairs tonight. I seem to be the only one who is nervous. The rest of these punks are just happy we have power. All hail buried power lines.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not on the East Coast, but we just talked to everyone in NJ. My parents, as well as my brother and his family, are in Union County and they lost power earlier this afternoon. Parents have a power line down in the street and brother had a tree come down in his yard. My ILs in Passaic County are also without power.

KungFuPanda, my dad said the same thing -- all he cares about is that a tree doesn't fall on the house.

I'm in a wooded neighborhood on the north side of Baltimore. I am astounded that we still have power. Lights have been flickering all evening but always recover.

The gusts of wind sound like we're next to an expressway. I can occasionally hear thumps and bangs outside that make me wonder if our neighbors didn't secure everything before the storm started.

We put my 3.5-year-old down in his own bed, but are planning to move him downstairs once he's good and asleep. We have a one-story house and a lot of tall trees. They're healthy, but...

Weather reports seem inconsistent right now. Weather.com says we'll be over the worst of the wind by 10pm or so, other sources say expect a much slower tapering off.

I'm in a wooded neighborhood on the north side of Baltimore. I am astounded that we still have power. Lights have been flickering all evening but always recover.

The gusts of wind sound like we're next to an expressway. I can occasionally hear thumps and bangs outside that make me wonder if our neighbors didn't secure everything before the storm started.

We put my 3.5-year-old down in his own bed, but are planning to move him downstairs once he's good and asleep. We have a one-story house and a lot of tall trees. They're healthy, but...

Weather reports seem inconsistent right now. Weather.com says we'll be over the worst of the wind by 10pm or so, other sources say expect a much slower tapering off.

So does anyone know what IS the best source for local storm coverage? I've hopped around all day and still don't know where to get the most current, accurate information. I'd love to hear something that helps me sleep tonight.

I'm in Columbia. THIS SUCKS! I'm convinced that each gust will bring a tree through my hose. I can handle anything else. We're sleeping downstairs tonight. I seem to be the only one who is nervous. The rest of these punks are just happy we have power. All hail buried power lines.

I totally agree. My son's at UMBC. Didn't want to come home - says everything is fine there (ie. he can still go out to the cafeteria and get food :001_huh:). Other son lives off campus. I'm sure he's fine too, but he lives in a very old part of town.

So does anyone know what IS the best source for local storm coverage? I've hopped around all day and still don't know where to get the most current, accurate information. I'd love to hear something that helps me sleep tonight.

I like the Capital Weather Gang blog on washingtonpost.com . My normal source for weather, http://www.wunderground.com, keeps insisting that I'm experiencing 6mph winds. Not 60mph, 6.

We keep hopping between DC (which gets a little dicey), Baltimore and the Salisbury stations. They're all pretty much saying the same thing. (And none of them seem to realize there's a whole lot more to the eastern shore than OC, though Salisbury does report on the islands)

Eta: Channel 2 has a decent current update, and the 7 weather channel (7-2 with our antenna) is updating continuously. 2 is saying they're expecting it to park over central PA tomorrow. Wow, you're thrashing us in rainfall by 2"! We've had about 6.5, and have sandy, quick draining soil over here. (Hence all the corn)

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Our lights keep flickering but we haven't lost power yet.

Our house is set up with cages. If we lose power, the exotic roosters will have to come inside as their heat lamps will be out.:glare: lovely.:glare:

When I was at the grocery store, chicken diapers were completely sold out. :lol:

When I was at the grocery store, chicken diapers were completely sold out. :lol:

It is our second winter with these things. I want them to live, But I need them to stay out of my house! I guess if they only have to come in durin g a power outage......

I wish someone in a warm climate would take pity on me.;)

We still have power--I can't believe it. (Now watch, I probably jinx it...)

Fed Gov't is closed tomorrow, so I only have one walk. :D

Same here. I thought for sure power would be gone by now. It's been flickering all night and we have some pretty scary wind outside.

It is our second winter with these things. I want them to live, But I need them to stay out of my house! I guess if they only have to come in durin g a power outage......

I wish someone in a warm climate would take pity on me.;)

Sometimes I forget about your chicken diaper saga for months at a time. Then, just when I need it, I remember that you have a diapered, indoor chicken and my day is better. Thank you for helping me through Frankenstorm. :)

Dd is in college in the mountains in southern Vermont. Can I tell you how much I hate that she doesn't have power and I don't know what's going on. It's crazy. I know she's fine unless a tree comes down on her but I'm a little crazed anyway. Boo.

Yay, she found some power and is text skyping!

Edited by Starr

We made it through the night without losing power. Local news tells us there are several closed roads in the area and thousands in the county and more in the neighboring counties without power. I feel fortunate.

In another hour I'll be walking around outside to see if there's damage. It's still windy and quite rainy, but much colder than yesterday.

I feel for all of those with major damage and without power...

Well, that wasn't terrible at all for us. We lost power about 9:30pm and it was back on two hours later. When my big girl came into our bedroom at 4:30am, it was calm outside. I did a walk around our house and everything seems in place, nothing blew away. There is some flooding in the back but that is normal with heavy rains.

I thought it was going to be a lot worse because we were right in the hurricane's path in NY.

We haven't lost power and the winds have significantly died down now. Still forbidden to get on the roads. Work is closed. It's still raining steadily. Apparently western Maryland has two feet of snow.

I think the major damage from this storm is going to come from flooding, not wind. Remember that with Irene and Katrina, most of the damage came after the storm, not during.

Tuesday afternoon --

We had super-strong winds last night, the worst I've ever heard in any hurricane in 45 years. It sounded like a freight train coming through for at least two hours. I'm so glad we made it through.

Lots of huge trees are down, and on our street a few trees landed on the houses. Our house is without any damage, no flooding, no power. We lost power around 9 pm on Monday, and it looks like we'll be without it for a week. :confused: We do have water, though, so that's a blessing.

We're over at my parents' house in the same town. They do have power. Most of the county (Mercer) is without power last night and today. The schools are closed.

The storm didn't last as long as we thought it would, and there wasn't as much rain as we expected. Overall, I'd say that we made it through without any hardship, other than loss of power.

Oh, and I didn't sleep last night... :tongue_smilie: My husband SNORES without his C-PAP, to the point where the walls shake (and not from the storm). HE had no trouble sleeping through the worst of it. :lol: :toetap05: I think I'll leave him here tonight, and take the girls back home. :D

Tuesday afternoon --

We had super-strong winds last night, the worst I've ever heard in any hurricane in 45 years. It sounded like a freight train coming through for at least two hours. I'm so glad we made it through.

Lots of huge trees are down, and on our street a few trees landed on the houses. Our house is without any damage, no flooding, no power. We lost power around 9 pm on Monday, and it looks like we'll be without it for a week. :confused: We do have water, though, so that's a blessing.

We're over at my parents' house in the same town. They do have power. Most of the county (Mercer) is without power last night and today. The schools are closed.

The storm didn't last as long as we thought it would, and there wasn't as much rain as we expected. Overall, I'd say that we made it through without any hardship, other than loss of power.

Oh, and I didn't sleep last night... :tongue_smilie: My husband SNORES without his C-PAP, to the point where the walls shake (and not from the storm). HE had no trouble sleeping through the worst of it. :lol: :toetap05: I think I'll leave him here tonight, and take the girls back home. :D

They told us a week, but our power is now back on. I hope yours comes on soon, too. Keep warm! Lots of cuddling!

Tuesday afternoon --

Glad to see you made it through okay.

Too many threads, not enough consistent internet time. If I didn't check in on this one, my apologies. Still here. We got 11.91" of rain yesterday in the storm. (We're #1, Yea!) :001_huh:

So where I live did very well, as expected. Middle of the island and north end of the island had a lot of flooding, which we didn't think we would be able to dodge this time, but we did. I so hope all the affected areas will be able to pull out quickly from the mess. :grouphug:

They told us a week, but our power is now back on. I hope yours comes on soon, too. Keep warm! Lots of cuddling!

Thursday afternoon --

No power yet. We are at my parents' house. For some reason, they have power (thank God). Same town. Our house is 53 degrees F. And very, very dark.

P.S.E.&G. trucks are all over the place, though. The linemen are working like beavers. When you think of what they have to do, it's remarkable that they are making such good progress. All the traffic lights were out, now they are back on. The shopping centers are back on, but had to throw out all their dairy and eggs (and a bunch of other stuff). What a disaster this has been.

We are warm and dry, though. Not one bit of damage to our house, not so much as a stick or twig. Amazing. We had HUGE trees that came down on houses just down the street.

I don't sleep so well at my parents' house. My dad has this habit of saying, "Beth? Are you asleep? Beth? Are you asleep? Okay, I just wanted to be sure you could sleep up here." :lol:

The other one is knocking on the bathroom door, "Beth? Are you okay in there? There's toilet paper in the cabinet if you need any." :001_huh:

I drank an entire can of prune juice this morning to counteract my father's hospitality. :leaving:

I want to read further, to see if Nono is okay. I was prayin' for ya, Nono!

Edited by Sahamamama

Too many threads, not enough consistent internet time. If I didn't check in on this one, my apologies. Still here. We got 11.91" of rain yesterday in the storm. (We're #1, Yea!) :001_huh:

So where I live did very well, as expected. Middle of the island and north end of the island had a lot of flooding, which we didn't think we would be able to dodge this time, but we did. I so hope all the affected areas will be able to pull out quickly from the mess. :grouphug:

Very, very glad to hear you are okay, Nono. When the wind was whipping through our street and tearing up huge 100 year old trees, I was praying for you, believe it or not. Just thinking about the people at the coast is enough to make me :crying:.

:grouphug: To all the shore people.

Beth? Beth? are you sleeping?

:tongue_smilie:

:auto:

:lol:

Yes. Just like that. What a twerp, Justamouse. :D Must be an East Coast thing. :lol:

When we call to ask my mother a question at, say, 8:35 pm, she might be upstairs "reading." ;)

He calls up, "Honey!? Honey!? Are you asleep? Are you asleep? Beth is on the phone, are you ASLEEP?"

No amount of pleading will make this cease. He's 80. He's not gonna change, KWIM? If I say, "Don't ask Mom if she's asleep," he will instead call up, "Honey, are you AWAKE?"

Edited by Sahamamama

Very, very glad to hear you are okay, Nono. When the wind was whipping through our street and tearing up huge 100 year old trees, I was praying for you, believe it or not. Just thinking about the people at the coast is enough to make me :crying:.

:grouphug: To all the shore people.

Oh, you are so lovely to think of us and pray for us. Thank you! We were thinking of and praying for everyone else inland, because we were more scared for you.

Luckily, we don't have 100 year old trees. Ours are only 4 yrs old, so they are puny. :) One was mostly dead (didn't take well) and it went down in the wind. We've already dug it out and cut it up, and the town will be picking it up.

I saw some friends from central Jersey last night. It's very bad for them. No power, no water, can't even flush toilets. And the weather got very, very cold last night. Please keep them in your prayers.

Our township got permission from the governor to do Halloween today since it was announced before the state announcement that Halloween will be celebrated on Monday. But, honestly, I'm a bit worried. There is still a lot of debris from downed trees and branches. Even the stuff that's been cleaned up is still awaiting pick up on the side of the street where little ones could trip on it in the dark. I'd hate to see someone trip and go face down into a bundle of it. A minor problem, yes, but no one needs a little accident right now.

I saw some friends from central Jersey last night. It's very bad for them. No power, no water, can't even flush toilets. And the weather got very, very cold last night. Please keep them in your prayers.

Kelli, tell your friends we are indeed keeping the rest of NJ in our prayers. I believe AC Electric is already sending crews inland and north to help out. :grouphug:

We got our power back last night (Thursday) around 10 pm. Hubby and I went over to put on the heat, fridge, freezer, and situate things a bit without stumbling around in the dark.

We are moving back today! Yeah! Here's to a good night's sleep, LOL.

And my dad goes to the doctor today, to find out how his PET scan turned out. Cancer or no cancer? We find out today. :001_unsure: