Menu

Who wants to join me in a November Clean Up and Declutter Month?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I went out of town for the week, and the cleaning lady was apparently bored because she cleaned out my basement. Most of it anyway. I'm in a little bit of shock. 90% of my list still needs doing but that was sure a nice surprise!

I need this kind of cleaning lady!!!

October 31. This is my last chance to get a jump on the November cleaning project.

Today I commit to getting the whole house straightened up, scrubbing both bathrooms, getting caught up on laundry, and vaccuuming top to bottom.

It is still raining here from the hurricane so I am stuck indoors. This would be a great time to clean!

is there anything I need to know posted here to get started?

We are actually having plans to do a bunch this month, but something printed out that I can check off would be good for me, a natural listmaker.

TODAY, already dh is taking an old couch and some boxes to church for a garage sale out of a room that has become a junk room that we want to make into a bedroom. So that was already planned. Plus there is a consignment sale next week that I signed up for in an attempt to cull out some extra clothes and books and toys from my girls' over full room.

BUT there are so many areas around the house after 12 years of living here that need attention. Dh has slowly been working on the garage. It is halfway done, but he doesn't have a lot of time.

So any plans posted yet in this long thread??? Or is it going to be another post?

okay ladies! I am still stuck in nyc due to the hurricane :glare: and looks like I wont get home until Saturday at the earliest.

My plan for the first week was to focus on the kitchen, so do you think it would be okay if we started on Monday instead of tomorrow? I really want to do this WITH everybody, and would hate to feel behind on the very first week.

What says the participants? of course, you can feel free to do any decluttering you want before then!!!

Ate some chocolate and now can't sleep. Here's my clean-up and decluttering list so far:

clean out/scrub refrigerator

clean out/scrub freezer

get summer clothes bins put away

straighten storage closets

help dds organize their clothes and closets

sort/straighten book shelves

clean under beds

wash baseboards, window and door frames

straighten pantry

sweep/dust laundry area

convince dh to throw 1/2 of the contents of the garage :)

Only 20 more days 'til MIL arrives!

okay ladies! I am still stuck in nyc due to the hurricane :glare: and looks like I wont get home until Saturday at the earliest.

My plan for the first week was to focus on the kitchen, so do you think it would be okay if we started on Monday instead of tomorrow? I really want to do this WITH everybody, and would hate to feel behind on the very first week.

What says the participants? of course, you can feel free to do any decluttering you want before then!!!

We can't start without you!!! I mean, the official list stuff. :) hope you get home safely!

I am counting in your plan so I am happy to wait for you. :001_smile:

Absolutely! I'm still putting away the mess we made during the storm (blankets, coolers, candles, etc) and still have to find the time and energy to pick up allof the shingles around my house. :glare:

THEN I get to start on the regular mess. :tongue_smilie:

Sounds good to me :). I've been working on clearing out paper clutter. I'll keep cruising along with that until you get back.

YAHOOOOO we don't start until Monday! Uh, I mean *cough*, of course I will wait. :D

Monday sounds great to me too!! :)

Today though, I got two kitchen cupboards and the counter beneath them and the floor under that all cleaned out and scrubbed. I relaized today that I hadn't moved the chairs and SCRUBBED the floor since the end of the 400 jars of canned tomatoes in the middle of September. I vacuumed around everything of course but I hadn't steamed the floors spotless in that long. That's pretty gross.

Now whenever I get overwhelmed, I just look over there and rest my eyes. I'm also burning a beautiful scented candle there. Good juju!!

Halcyon, I am sending you much love as you get through the mess of Sandy.

Monday will be great! I'll have a basically clean house (due to birthday party in a couple days) and be ready to spend time decluttering cabinets and such. :D

I cleaned the guest bathroom today - down to washing the walls and baseboards. It is beautiful! I even cleaned out the medicine cabinet!

I also got rid of Halloween leftovers in a kitchen cabinet that are a year or two old. :tongue_smilie:

Well, Hurricane Sandy helped me get the fridge and freezer emptied. It will be interesting to start fresh with all new condiments etc.

The hurricane also prompted us to finally defrost and clear the ancient downstairs fridge (hoping to convince DH to get it the heck out of here), and I'll be biting the bullet and throwing out anything in the chest freezer that is questionable or that I suspect we'll never eat.

How's that for a silver lining? :D

post-57635-13535087803093_thumb.jpg

Monday's the new start date? Works for me!

...In the meantime, I organized our studio bookshelves - a minor feat in itself - and sorted more kid clothing. I've also found someone who needs our glider rocker, and I am so happy we can give it to her. :) Oh, and I finally hung our AAS whiteboard - woo hoo!

I cleaned out my bathroom junk drawer and under my bathroom cabinet, wiped both out, and reorganized them. Now I just need to get DH to go through the medicine cabinet (mostly his stuff). Cleaned out the chest freezer of all questionable food just in time for the garbage collection this morning. School room is next.

:willy_nilly:

Anyone have a solution for a thousand ponytail holders? :bigear:

I cleaned out my bathroom junk drawer and under my bathroom cabinet, wiped both out, and reorganized them. Now I just need to get DH to go through the medicine cabinet (mostly his stuff). Cleaned out the chest freezer of all questionable food just in time for the garbage collection this morning. School room is next.

We have a mini chest of drawers from IKEA, which holds the girls' hair bands and clips - it's from the Moppe range, and there are two options, one with 6 drawers and one with 4.

Well, I did do something today--the surface of my desk is now all lovely and clean. It was piled high with stuff, much of which left in a garbage bag. Please do not ask about the shelves of the desk; that stuff belongs to my husband.

There are a lot of cables that don't appear to actually be hooked up to anything on one end. I hid them with a family photo.

I couldn't wait till Monday. :blush:

I cleaned out our main coat closet, and freecycled all the outgrown warm stuff to people who will make sure it gets to the homeless. Everything that is not related to coats or outerwear is *out* of the closet and in its proper home! The floor is even washed - yay!

Now I'll do that surface clean, that's a great idea.

Well I was going to start today but I have a nasty stomach thing and can barely get out of bed, which also means I'm severely behind on laundry... So yeah. Monday's good.

DD, the twins, and I all use ponytail holders, we have zillions of them. My favorite solution is one of those big caribiner (sp?) clips (or four, as the case may be.) You can clip them somewhere or just put them in a basket but it keeps the ponytail holders together.

I know the readers of this thread will give me the empathy I seek...

We are tackling part of the garage today.

Monumental.

We park one car in there, the rest is stacked and packed. Starting by the area closest to the door of the house...trash, donations, and things that need a new place to live in our house. It's tough work!

Monumental.

We park one car in there, the rest is stacked and packed. Starting by the area closest to the door of the house...trash, donations, and things that need a new place to live in our house. It's tough work!

You can do it! :001_smile:

As I put away our Halloween stuff, I got two bags of stuff together to donate. (We decorate a lot & have a big Halloween party, but I've weeded out my stuff quite a bit over the past couple of years.)

Monumental.

My thoughts are with you today!:tongue_smilie:

I did 20 minutes in the garage yesterday. Was able to get rid of two small bags of trash, fill one give-away box, organize some of my buckets of food. And the biggest accomplishment---convince my husband we can donate all the outgrown bikes! He had been holding out selling them---for three years! Now I will be able to walk in there!

Edited by missmoe