Menu

What are you getting your kids for Christmas?

I need to start thinking about this as we have 4 birthdays right around Christmas, also. Please list the ages and what you are getting, if you know.

Anyone think Wal-Mart will have a deal on Black Friday for legos again? I heard they had a great deal last year. Any other ideas for gifts your kids love and play with all the time?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Dd (10) is getting a very inexpensive iPod for her classical music. Last year we got Ds (14) a kindle and that was a big hit and has been useful for school too. This year I don't have a good idea about what to get him.

Both Dc may need ice skates by then, so that might be a consideration. They have both had their eyes on some shirts we saw at the National Dog Show last year. Other than that, I really don't know at this point. Dh and I agree that we are not buying toys this year.

Dh and I are just beginning to think about Christmas, but so far we are focusing on how to convince grandparents not to buy junk.

Seriously people, do we have to have Christmas yet again this year?????

(Full whine.)

Maybe coal. I don't know. I can't even contemplate it. I wonder how the boys would feel about this in a Christmas Card, "Merry Christmas! Your gift this year is your sister's wedding. Enjoy!"

Probably wouldn't exactly get me the mother-of-the-year award.

Faith

(Full whine.)

Maybe coal. I don't know. I can't even contemplate it. I wonder how the boys would feel about this in a Christmas Card, "Merry Christmas! Your gift this year is your sister's wedding. Enjoy!"

Faith

:lol:

I dunno. I was hoping to find some ideas in this thread. Thanks for that . . . :glare:

:)

Our family gift is a vacation in January. We thought of adding a couple of things to our trip as gifts. But, there is the threat of a pay cut at dh's work. (After YEARS (don't ask how many) of no increase.) So, we're holding off on that until we know for sure.

I have no clue. Every year I say I will not spend much, but I have too much fun making my kids squeal over their presents, so it will probably be something I have to order from Etsy like last year along with some Legos and maybe a telescope for their 'big gift'. They have been asking for that for a long time.

My dd, age 13, wants a bow and arrow set. Wooden one. I have researched some but not found the one yet.

We always buy some family games from our local game store. Probably a music CD for each of the kids. A few books. Then one present for each of them from "Santa". Bow and arrow would be from Santa to the middle one.

Like which bow? :bigear:

We got my ds a compound bow for his birthday. He just got it out. It's a Mission By Matthews. That's the name on it. I don't recognize it, but I hope it helps you!

Take him to the range and let him try some out before you decide. We took ds for his birthday and had him try them all out. Ds is saying to get a scope with a peek hole (he says he might have that name wrong!!!). The one ds ended up with is one he got after trying out all the bows and decided this one was the best.

DD6.5 - some scrapbooking type things. She loves making cards and art.

Probably some art supplies

Something for her AG doll.

Clothes of some kind

I am making her a quilt with fabric we both looked at

DS 8 - DH is doing something for his computer, like overloading it with storage and graphics abilities. I don't know what that stuff means.

Legos, I'm not sure what. There's an R2D2 model he wants but it's $$$

He has me stumped. He's like 8 going on 80. He doesn't like kids stuff. I kid you not he asked me for a coffee maker, a microwave, and a mini fridge emphasis on mini fridge for his room

(Full whine.)

Faith

This is how I really feel, Faith, though apparently, I can contemplate it. I posted the feeble ideas I came up with to fulfill the obligation. Sigh.

I love Christmas. :D

My oldest is getting a new lens for his camera, my middle three are getting Kindles, and my toddler is getting a wooden play kitchen and food; he goes crazy for the play kitchens at the store. They will have some smaller things and some books too, but that's their main thing.

We do Hanukkah and Christmas.

DS5:

Hanukkah:

2 outfits

2 books probably 3 to 6 books really, but split into 2 nights.

some playsilks (ours are getting worn)

Small Lego Set (Ninjago, Knights, or City)

a few Skylanders (probably both giants, but maybe one giant one regular)

Big Gift: Skylander video game for XBox360

Christmas:

Big Gift (probably a Big Lego Set)

Board Game (not sure what yet)

Puzzles

Small Lego set

Something Knight related either playmobile or Schleich

Stocking: Candy, Skylander or 2, some squinkies, maybe a tiny lego set

DD3:

Hanukkah:

2 outfits

playsilks

2 books (well could be more books, but 2 book nights)

My Little Ponies/Squinkies/Zoobles/My Little Pet Shop toys of some sort here (2 nights)

Big Gift (Probably an American Girl Doll or the Twins, remote chance of iPad mini if they release it)

Christmas:

Big Gift (no clue, if she got an American Girl Doll or the Twins, probably accessories)

Puzzles

Board Game

Lego or Duplo Set

Bead necklace/jewelry making set

Stocking: Candy, zoobles, squinkies, my little pony, my little pet shop type toys, maybe tiny lego set

DS1:

Hanukkah:

I have this car ramp thing saved that he'll get as his big gift

2 outfits

2 book nights

playsilks

2 nights of small things maybe imaginex toys or cars

Christmas:

Big Gift (something, maybe Imaginex, there is a cool castle that he and DS1 and DD would love)

Puzzles

Board Game

Duplo Set

Another Imaginex toy

Stocking: Candy, cars, small balls, other small age appropriate things (he is my hard one, I already have a ton of age appropriate toys for him, but his siblings would notice if he didn't get the same number of gifts as they do).

That being said I've never bought to script before, so there is the possibility that the number of gifts could go up, though hopefully not we're trying to be somewhat frugal this year.

I'm wondering if I can get away with giving next year's curriculum, or maybe an online AP class? How 'bout an SAT prep class?

Sorry OP, I just couldn't resist. School maxed out our budget this year.

My 13 yr old will be getting a netbook/laptop. She is in ps middle school and they do a lot of work online, and we would like our computer back. :001_smile: She asked for one last year but didn't get it, so I think she'll be excited.

Younger dd, 10, wants a few little things. A Furreal pet, a DVD, and a Lego set with Thor.

My 13 yr old will be getting a netbook/laptop. She is in ps middle school and they do a lot of work online, and we would like our computer back. :001_smile: She asked for one last year but didn't get it, so I think she'll be excited.

Younger dd, 10, wants a few little things. A Furreal pet, a DVD, and a Lego set with Thor.

What is wrong with me? I read this as 'A Funeral Pet'! :001_huh:

Glad I looked closer. Whew!

I was considering some sort of a netbook/laptop for Ds if we can swing it, but I'm not convinced I'm ready for him to have one of his own. He's got some online classes, though, and that would free up our computer some.

For DS3, I think we decided on an outdoor work bench, with a hammer and some type of thing where he can use a screwdriver and maybe wrenches and such. The details aren't worked out, just a general idea.

And a bike or dh wants to get him a motorized Power Wheels 4-wheeler for the back yard.

What is wrong with me? I read this as 'A Funeral Pet'! :001_huh:

Glad I looked closer. Whew!

:lol::lol:

I was considering some sort of a netbook/laptop for Ds if we can swing it, but I'm not convinced I'm ready for him to have one of his own. He's got some online classes, though, and that would free up our computer some.

We're looking at the Acer Aspire One netbooks. I've seen them for under $300, and some around $220. I think they would suit her fine. She's knows if she gets it that it stays in our common areas, though.

ETA: I don't know what happened when I quoted.

Edited by Horton

My girls are 8 and 6 and I bought them spooner boards for their birthdays. They have been a huge hit and would make great Christmas gifts.

I am seriously considering plasma cars for Christmas (we have too many toys).

Get them. We got them 2 or 3 years ago, when I thought the kids were too old, and they STILL ride them. Totally worth it. It's a favorite toy for any kid, or adult :001_smile:, that comes over.

Santa is giving us a family pass for a museum we want to take the kids to visit. Yay!

Everyone will receive a $10 Starbucks GiftCard & itunes gift card.... though I'm also recommending the itunes gift cards to grandparents too.

The plan is to just do stockings and only spend $75 a kid. I have no idea what to get for them.

The girls might like earrings, fuzzy socks, doll clothes...

My 8 year old girls love lalaloopsy so I could get them some dolls or furniture. They also love horses so miniatures are a hit.

DD11 will probably end up with jewelry, lotions, perfume... she is hard to buy for.

Ds 11 loves legos... I could take them out of the box and fit that in the stocking. Little army men are a hit too for him.

DD9 loves art supplies so I could just do that for her. But I hope to find something else special.

This year my girls are each getting a HUGE gift, one little gift and stocking stuffers.

They each want a pillow pet, so that's going to be the little gift (Zulilly has their pillow pets on sale for $9.99 each right now!).

I have Justin Bieber tickets for my two youngest (9 and almost 7). The concert is January 22. Their stockings are going to be filled with JB stuff (tshirt, JB toothbrush, keychains, etc).

My oldest (12) is getting a trip to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal sometime in February. She's been wanting to go for a long time. I'm so excited!!! She's going to get a couple of HP things in her stocking (tshirt, candy, etc).

We've never done anything like this before (given trips/experiences). It's going to be awesome!! And actually it's going to be less money than we usually spend. The best part? I get to take them. ;)

Get them. We got them 2 or 3 years ago, when I thought the kids were too old, and they STILL ride them. Totally worth it. It's a favorite toy for any kid, or adult :001_smile:, that comes over.

What is the youngest age you think could ride one? I was thinking about these for my older kids, but my toddler would want one too. (He is 22 months right now.)

DS, age 3, is getting:

Cars Geotrax sets (purchased months ago on 30-40% off sales)

Christmas pjs (to open Christmas Eve)

a stocking of his favorite edibles (olives, gummies, jerky bites, etc.)

some homemade furniture for his "mouse house" (dollhouse with Calico Critters)

What is the youngest age you think could ride one? I was thinking about these for my older kids, but my toddler would want one too. (He is 22 months right now.)

The official website says "3 years +". I don't see how it's any more dangerous than a Fischer Price you-name-it that a toddler sits on and pushes.

Oh poor you with 4 birthdays around christmas :001_huh:

DD6 - lalaloopsy dolls, littlest pet shop toys, books, skateboard

DS5 - basketball hoop, skateboard, leappad games, playmobile

DS3 - Duplo, wooden car garage, wheelbarrow for outside to cart his rocks :D

Shared present - swimming pool (just a splash pool really, not a big one)

I don't know -Im sick of toys but we live in a boring, rural area and there isn't much going in the way of experience gifts.

Their grandparents are coming from Canada for Christmas this year - it will be the first time they have met my kids. MIL has a terrible spending habit so I'm sure they will be showered with stuff they don't need (or want but that's another thread).:lol:

All kids want to ride this! My DD got one last year when she was five. My son is 2 now and can zoom all over on it. He was 22 months last Christmas and was just a bit young and it was hard for him to steer. A few months later he was good to go. :001_smile: I'd get it now, and he can grow into it.

(or have the kids share...we only have one but all three kids use it)

One of our best gifts so far, it has been played with daily.

Ds9

Fishing decor for his room

City Lego Set

Pokemon cards

book (not sure which one yet, but he always gets one)

And.... and ipod touch IF I sell enough ebay this season.

Ds12

Shogi chess set (Japanese chess)

Ninjago set

pokemon cards

book (see above)

And.... an ipod touch (see above)

The ipod touches were an idea because ds9 has an MP3 that's not compatible with the itunes. Ds12 got a shuffle last year but he can't pick what songs he wants to listen to.

If it works out they will be getting the 8gb. One in black, one in white. This is completely contingent on a good selling season for me though. Looking at what I have going up I should be okay.

DD 14 -most likely a kindle with a gift card, a few handmade items and her stocking with fun little things

DS 13 -Legos or fencing gear, some homemade items as well. Oh and satsumas (a type of Mandarin Orange we grow here). he LOVES them and it's all he's actually asked for so far :tongue_smilie:, a box of his very own. His stocking will have some fun stuff too. He likes keys. This year I'm going to try and find him some antique keys.

DS5:

Big Gift: Bean Bag and Reading Nook made for his room/Homemade Fort Kit of some sort

Cartridges/Games for Leappad

Number Balance or Abaconundrums

Imaginext or <P.....>?

Game: Set? Qwirkle? Math Dice Jr?

Outside game -- Kiddie Croquet? Boochie? That Ogodisk thing mentioned earlier?

kid-sized broom

Stocking: toothbrush and toothpaste,kaleidoscope, Sid DVDs, jellybeans

DD1:

Big Gift: Little People House (found this weekend and purchased)

push and ride scooter

DS's old Wedgits set

DS's old playsilks and container

small purse

kid-sized broom

Stocking: toothbrush and toothpaste, Kidsongs DVDs

Edited by vonfirmath

Most of mine are just ideas. I still haven't decided 100%.

DD10: (My tough one to buy for)

~Scrapbooking supplies, and photos printed - I'm SO bad about actually printing our photos out because I'm so behind on my own scrapbooking that I don't want to add more until I'm ready for them, so she doesn't really have much for photos to choose from that she'd like to scrapbook. :D

~Possibly Snap Circuits

~Possibly her own tool set (idea from another recent thread here at the Hive)

~Window Art set (from that same thread)

~maybe some Legos

Stocking: Probably a couple magazines and Itunes and Starbucks gift cards. Yes, my 10 year old loves the frappe thingies at Starbucks. I'm not even sure what they're called because *I* don't drink at Starbucks - it's a Daddy-Daughter thing. LOL

DS6:

~Legos

~Possibly a new bike

~Possibly SkyLanders Giants video game

~Spy gear of some sort - night vision goggles, maybe

~Whatever else I happen to think of or see for him. He's easy to please. :tongue_smilie:

Just ordered the set of Ty Beanie babies of Alvin and the Chipmunks and the Chippettes. We watched all three movies for the first time this summer (got them one at a time from the library) and the girls just love them. They're particularly in love with sweet snuggly Theodore, though I've claimed him for me. I think my girls are more like Alvin and Simon anyway. I know they are going to just love this set and will play with them all the time. I may have family members get them the movies (they always ask what they can get for dds and I often have them get movies). There will be other gifts too, but this is the only one so far.

http://www.amazon.com/TY-Beanie-Babies-Chipmunks-Complete/dp/B0042ZBIRI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349756529&sr=8-2&keywords=alvin+and+the+chipmunks+toys

Just ordered the set of Ty Beanie babies of Alvin and the Chipmunks and the Chippettes. We watched all three movies for the first time this summer (got them one at a time from the library) and the girls just love them. They're particularly in love with sweet snuggly Theodore, though I've claimed him for me. I think my girls are more like Alvin and Simon anyway. I know they are going to just love this set and will play with them all the time. I may have family members get them the movies (they always ask what they can get for dds and I often have them get movies). There will be other gifts too, but this is the only one so far.

http://www.amazon.com/TY-Beanie-Babies-Chipmunks-Complete/dp/B0042ZBIRI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349756529&sr=8-2&keywords=alvin+and+the+chipmunks+toys

DD got all of those last year. Big hit! Well, she had Alvin & the Chipmunks from her birthday, so she got the Chippettes for Christmas. :D

Most of mine are just ideas. I still haven't decided 100%.

DD10: (My tough one to buy for)

~Scrapbooking supplies, and photos printed - I'm SO bad about actually printing our photos out because I'm so behind on my own scrapbooking that I don't want to add more until I'm ready for them, so she doesn't really have much for photos to choose from that she'd like to scrapbook. :D

~Possibly Snap Circuits

~Possibly her own tool set (idea from another recent thread here at the Hive)

~Window Art set (from that same thread)

~maybe some Legos

Stocking: Probably a couple magazines and Itunes and Starbucks gift cards. Yes, my 10 year old loves the frappe thingies at Starbucks. I'm not even sure what they're called because *I* don't drink at Starbucks - it's a Daddy-Daughter thing. LOL

DS6:

~Legos

~Possibly a new bike

~Possibly SkyLanders Giants video game

~Spy gear of some sort - night vision goggles, maybe

~Whatever else I happen to think of or see for him. He's easy to please. :tongue_smilie:

We have quite a bit of Spy Gear if you want any reviews.

I would love to have someone to buy scrapbooking for.