Menu

Update on my son in prison

We had our first visit today. It went very well. There was a tense moment at the gate when his visitors list could not be found. I'm not sure why but they waived the rules and let us in anyway. It was not as scary as I had imagined. My husband and I were searched, but they waived our 7 year old in with no problems. We stayed a little over the 2 hour limit and he seemed in very good spirits. He said that he is staying with other guys sentenced to bootcamp in a dorm situation. He had been in solitary after the events of the first night, but he has now been transferred to a prison farther downstate and he feels safe now.

He said most of the guys that are his age can't read very well or at all. He finds himself being sought out anytime there is a math question or sometimes reading mail for guys. He has also loaned out a bunch of the books that we've sent. He still has about 2 months of waiting time before he even starts the 4 month long bootcamp. I am proud of him for making the most of his time.

Thanks again to all of you. I was feeling down/just weird about today and all of you saying you wondered about how he was doing was uplifting.

I came on tonight specifically to check on you and on him. :grouphug:

I went to your profile to see if you had started a new thread that I had not seen. I was amazed that you had written one, only about an hour earlier. :001_smile:

I am glad that your visit went well. I am keeping you both in my prayers. I hope you sleep well tonight.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I didn't have the guts to post in your ealier thread but I have a close relative that's just been incarcerated. It's such a worry. My relative isn't doing as well as your son is though. I'll keep your son and family in my prayers.

Thanks for letting us know how he is doing. Bet you feel some relief after seeing him and his surroundings. :grouphug:

I wonder how those boys got to their age without learning how to read. That's unimaginable to me. :confused:

You know I asked about that too. He said most had dropped out of school early after being promoted in grade along with their class regardless of their grades.

I didn't have the guts to post in your ealier thread but I have a close relative that's just been incarcerated. It's such a worry. My relative isn't doing as well as your son is though. I'll keep your son and family in my prayers.

Amy,

I will pray for your relative as well. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. It's not an easy road....

In fact half the time I feel as though part of my heart has been ripped out.

I am one those people who is good to have in a crisis. I can make the best of things but that doesn't mean that I like being in that situation. I would love to rage about the unfairness of the system. But, my son broke the law voluntarily and now our whole family is changed.

I think it would be unimaginably hard to be in prison. PM me if you want.

Jen

He said most of the guys that are his age can't read very well or at all. He finds himself being sought out anytime there is a math question or sometimes reading mail for guys. He has also loaned out a bunch of the books that we've sent.

It sounds like he is being a nice blessing to others and maybe that will be life altering.

:grouphug: May you experience God's grace in the midst of all this. I'm glad your son is doing well.

The young people who can't read.....So sad! It makes me think about how things might have turned out differently if someone had come alongside them earlier in life. I'm not "blaming the system", but it sounds like they've had a hard row to hoe.

Elaine

I have been thinking about your son a lot lately. I saw a snippet of a show about prison at one of my dog walking homes the other day, and just cried. I have been around the juvenile system for years, but not the adult--Pls know your son and you are SO very much in my prayers. PM me if there is anything I can do for you, even just "listen." I had to visit my son in jail on Mother's Day, so I know it's tough.

Can we still send him books and stuff like that? Could you PM me his address?

Glad you were able to visit. I don't know what happened the first night, but sorry he had to go through it.

He doesnt remember much of the first night. He woke up at the hospital with 14 staples holding his scalp together. I did check under his hair and he has a giant scar.

Thanks again to all of you.

Oh my word! Do they know who did it?

Dawn

He doesnt remember much of the first night. He woke up at the hospital with 14 staples holding his scalp together. I did check under his hair and he has a giant scar.

Thanks again to all of you.

:grouphug: I wasn't around much this summer, so I had to go back to read your original posts re: your son. I will keep him (and you) in my prayers. Very thankful you were able to see him & that the visit went well. :grouphug:

Me too. I just went back and read the whole thread. I'm so sorry you all are having to go through this and he's had to endure such an injury. I will keep you all in my prayers.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: