Menu

Talk to me about hyperemesis gravidarum & phenergan please!

I went in for my OB history appt today (just supposed to talk to the nurse), but she took one look at me and decided the dr needed to see me. OB had them hook me up to an IV right in the office (I didn't know they did that). I got 1L of fluid and some Zofran. That's the 2nd time I've needed IV rehydration this week.

So, I'm pretty sure I have HG. I wasn't convinced before, because I didn't feel like I was throwing up "enough". But, after reading more, I thi I my debilitating nausea and then bouts of 24-48hr of constant vomiting "qualify" me. I'm about 11-12 weeks and have lost 2lbs so far despite taking Zofran, Reglan, and Prilosec OTC in combination with all the other recommendations (b6/Unisom, small meals, ginger, don't let yourself get hungry, etc).

So, today the OB gave me a prescription for Phenergan suppositories. I tried to take one this afternoon, but um......it caused intestinal cramping and was expelled within about 5 min. I tried to keep it in and just go to sleep, but I couldn't. Is there a trick I'm missing?

I have an ultrasound scheduled for Monday afternoon. Dr wants to rule out twins. They don't run in my family at all, so I find it highly unlikely, but I've never experienced anything like this in previous pregnancies either.

Anyway, anybody who has BTDT, I'd love to hear from you. This is uncharted territory for me & it is taking an enormous emotional toll on me. I can barely even complete the most basic of daily functions.

Oh my gosh- I had hyperemesis when I was pregnant with my now 15 year old daughter. They tested me for twins also, but she was a singleton. I ended up losing 9 pounds before it eased up. I worked full-time when I got pregnant, then had to take a leave of absence until month 5. I ended up working 2-3 days a week after that because the nausea would flare up some days and not others. By my last trimester I was feeling much better. ( I know, it's a long time- sorry)

I visited the ER a few times as well, then had a home health nurse set up an IV at home, which was wonderful. I remember for a while feeling well enough at 2 a.m. to eat a ramen noodles soup bowl, which helped because of the high sodium content. I also had anti-nausea pills that I threw up, and I tried the suppositories and they didn't work for me either.

The only thing I can offer you is support, a feeling of camaraderie (you're not alone!) and the best thing of all- hope! My daughter is a beautiful, smart young lady who wants to be an aeronautical engineer. Wishing the best for you in your journey- and I will put you in my prayers!

Yes, home health care was a life saver for me for about 4 weeks. Zofran and IV therapy made it possible for me to stay out of the hospital. I was to able switch over to zofran by mouth after 4 weeks of home IVs. Phergan did not work for me. I was basically a vomiting zombie on it!

I had HG with my son. I think for a true HG diagnosis you have to lose 10% or more of your pre-pregnancy body weight. (I weighed 122 when I became pregnant and by the end of the first trimester was 105.) You usually also have it for all pregnancies. Since it sounds like you have not had this with your other children, you definately want that ultrasound ASAP! (I also had an ultrasound early to check for twins.) I agree with the vomitting zombie thing. I never found a medication that actually stopped the nausea/vomit. If I was awake, I was sick....for 9 long months. IVs were the only thing that seemed to help. I lost track of how many IVs I had. If you are diagnosed with HG, make sure your dr. is well-educated in this. It often leads to pre-eclampsia and other unpleasantries.

Praying for you and your little one(s). Twins might be fun :D . Keep us posted.

I had it with all 4 of my pregnacies - it was HORRIBLE!!! I had the pump that went in your leg to give you a continuous dosage of zofran and also an iv at home (with several overnight hospital stays as well). It was not fun. The only good thing I can tell you is mine went away each time around 16 weeks...so there may be hope at the end of the tunnel. :grouphug:

You've had IV rehydration several times. I think it's safe to say you are having HG at this point.

The saving grace is that that hyperemesis _often_ gets better later on in the pregnancy, and you're only 12 weeks along. So you might not be in for that much more. I know, cold comfort, right?

I have an ultrasound scheduled for Monday afternoon. Dr wants to rule out twins. They don't run in my family at all, so I find it highly unlikely, .

identicals are NOT hereditary. so, good to rule out. I've a friend who had hypermesis with her singles.

No suggestions, just hugs. with my last pregnancy, I noticed I was much sicker when visiting my mil in a rocky mt state than in western wa. we drove, but I literally could feel a difference in how I felt, much better, as I descended the pass. just the difference in climate. could the difference in weather this summer in iowa be part of it?

I had HG *only* with my 5th baby. Phenergan didn't do much for me, but Zofran was a God send. I lost a LOT of weight in the first 18 weeks, even on Zofran. (I think I lost about 20 lbs. It was horrible. I lived on lemon drops and hot tea. Everything else came right up. Showering, brushing my teeth, almost anything would make me sick.)

I am so very sorry you are suffering with this. It is horrific and depressing and I found no one understood. I would hear, "Oh, I had morning sickness when I was pg, too." Uh, no. This isn't morning sickness. *I* had morning sickness with my 4 previous pregnancies. Number 5 was just a nightmare and having everyone act like they knew how I felt and "advise" me made me want to punch folks.... "You just need to eat XYZ." "Just exercise every day. It'll clear right up." "Oh, with my morning sickness, I drank Tang and felt better immediately." Grrrrrr.....

:grouphug:

(I think I am still hostile and it is 7+ years later! :001_huh: )

I had it with all three pgs. I hate to say this but all the meds and supplements I was taking didn't make it stop. It reduced the severity, but the vomiting and feel-sick-every-hour-of-the-day never stopped. I even woke up during the night because I had to vomit. It slowed down once I hit seven months, but again didn't completely end. During the first trimester my caregivers freaked out a bit because of the weight I lost. I don't weigh a lot to begin with so when I went from 96 lbs to around 87 lbs they didn't like it. But I had three healthy normal size babies. So it all turned out wonderfully.

I'm sorry I wish I had more helpful suggestions.

Edited by Kleine Hexe

It is horrific and depressing and I found no one understood. I would hear, "Oh, I had morning sickness when I was pg, too." Uh, no. This isn't morning sickness. *I* had morning sickness with my 4 previous pregnancies. Number 5 was just a nightmare and having everyone act like they knew how I felt and "advise" me made me want to punch folks.... "You just need to eat XYZ." "Just exercise every day. It'll clear right up." "Oh, with my morning sickness, I drank Tang and felt better immediately." Grrrrrr.....

:iagree: I especially wanted to punch the woman who said she didn't have any sickness during pg because she focused on deep breathing and positive healthy thoughts, and suggested I really give it a try. :glare:

identicals are NOT hereditary. so, good to rule out. I've a friend who had hypermesis with her singles.

Do you know how many people don't know that? My mom always told me I might have twins because my grandmother had identical twins. At my first OB appointment with my first pg the doctor told me that identical twins are not hereditary and I was not at any higher risk (if one should use the word risk) of having twins.

A couple years ago I told my bil this because he wants twins and said there is a good chance my sister will have twins. His reasoning is because her grandmother had twins (remember they were identical) and his aunt had fraternal twins. I told him neither of those cases increase my sister's chances of having twins. I explained about identical twins and also explained that the genetics in *his* family didn't play a role on my sister's body. He didn't believe me. He seemed to think that *he* had increased chances of producing twins. I laughed and asked him if he had a magical power to cause my sister to ovulate two eggs at a time. :lol: He still doesn't believe me. Cause he's one of those "I know everything" people.

I went in for my OB history appt today (just supposed to talk to the nurse), but she took one look at me and decided the dr needed to see me. OB had them hook me up to an IV right in the office (I didn't know they did that). I got 1L of fluid and some Zofran. That's the 2nd time I've needed IV rehydration this week.

So, I'm pretty sure I have HG. I wasn't convinced before, because I didn't feel like I was throwing up "enough". But, after reading more, I thi I my debilitating nausea and then bouts of 24-48hr of constant vomiting "qualify" me. I'm about 11-12 weeks and have lost 2lbs so far despite taking Zofran, Reglan, and Prilosec OTC in combination with all the other recommendations (b6/Unisom, small meals, ginger, don't let yourself get hungry, etc).

So, today the OB gave me a prescription for Phenergan suppositories. I tried to take one this afternoon, but um......it caused intestinal cramping and was expelled within about 5 min. I tried to keep it in and just go to sleep, but I couldn't. Is there a trick I'm missing?

I have an ultrasound scheduled for Monday afternoon. Dr wants to rule out twins. They don't run in my family at all, so I find it highly unlikely, but I've never experienced anything like this in previous pregnancies either.

Anyway, anybody who has BTDT, I'd love to hear from you. This is uncharted territory for me & it is taking an enormous emotional toll on me. I can barely even complete the most basic of daily functions.

Phenergan always made me cramp and feel sicker. It would eventually knock me out. Though, yes, I would expel most of it. UGH!

See if they will give you a script for Zofran. It works wonders and doesn't knock you out (Phenergan only works by knocking you out so that you aren't throwing up...because you won't gag while sleeping). Zofran actually has something to do with the gag trigger in your brain.

I've been down that road three times.

Edited by mommaduck

I'm *just* starting to feel human again at 15 weeks. I am on Zofran. It is really helping now, but the Sickness peaked at around 10 weeks and was really bad until 13 weeks.

I only lost 10 lbs this pregnancy and I still had pregnancy weight to lose from my last because I am breast feeding and I always hang on to 10-15 lbs until I am done.

My 2nd pregnancy was the worst I went from 117 lbs to 98. IV's were so helpful.

I have a sil who told me to think good thoughts and be positive. She thought I brought this on myself!!! "Just eat something", "Drink water..." If I could, I would! Does anyone think someone would WANT to feel this way??????

I had it with all three pgs. I hate to say this but all the meds and supplements I was taking didn't make it stop. It reduced the severity, but the vomiting and feel-sick-every-hour-of-the-day never stopped. I even woke up during the night because I had to vomit. It slowed down once I hit seven months, but again didn't completely end.

:iagree: Taking the unisom/zofran combo made me slightly more human, but didn't cure me. I was still sick 3-4 times a day which was better than 5+. I lived on slurpees, fruit loops and bagels. I remember sitting at the bottom of the stairs, crying to my DH that I was so hungry but that I just threw up anything I ate.

It is horrific and depressing and I found no one understood. I would hear, "Oh, I had morning sickness when I was pg, too." Uh, no. This isn't morning sickness. *I* had morning sickness with my 4 previous pregnancies. Number 5 was just a nightmare and having everyone act like they knew how I felt and "advise" me made me want to punch folks.... "You just need to eat XYZ." "Just exercise every day. It'll clear right up." "Oh, with my morning sickness, I drank Tang and felt better immediately." Grrrrrr.....

:lol: So true! I would have friends complain to me about their m/s. How they felt a little nauseated in the morning and it was horrible. I sure wish I had their brand of m/s. And then they all wondered why DH and I decided to stop after #3. I just can not go through 9 more months of HE again. Every time the baby lust even hints at hitting me, all I have to do is think about 9 months of puking and the desire goes right away.:lol:

Maybe cut it in half? I spent both pregnancies on Phenergan, and it helped me. Of course, my goal at the time was not quality, but just to keep working, and eat something, anything... I could only eat what I had cravings for in the beginning. As long as it is food, try to eat what you are specifically craving. Dh would call me at work and fetch whatever I was hungry for, just so I could eat one thing that day.

I took the Phenergan as soon as I woke up, waited about 30min, ate if I thought I could, went back to sleep until time to get up to work 3-11 shift. As the pregnancy progressed, I was able to eat decently with med.

With Rebecca, I was so sick that I lost 10 lbs in 10 weeks. I was given oral Phenergan, but still threw it up from time to time. Luckily, I didn't get dehydrated though. And of course everyone around me was like, "Gee, I never had morning sickness!" SHUT UP!!! It finally subsided shortly after my first u/s.

I wasn't quite as sick with Sylvia, but it was more nagging than severe and lasted until about 15 weeks.

Hugs.

Every case of HG is different. Even if you're "only" experiencing really bad morning sickness and haven't yet "earned" an HG diagnosis (not sure why I always feel I have to earn it before saying I REALLY have it, it's not exactly a badge of honor), anti-emetics can be very helpful.

Another thing to consider is that perhaps whatever causes HG (not yet determined) has now impacted you. For example, if it does turn out to be an allergy to HCG, then maybe you have developed an allergy to HCG since your previous pregnancies.

I will pray for you and very strongly hope the anti-emetics work for you.

ETA: The Babycenter board for HG is very supportive.

Edited by arghmatey

I had HG with my son. I think for a true HG diagnosis you have to lose 10% or more of your pre-pregnancy body weight. (I weighed 122 when I became pregnant and by the end of the first trimester was 105.) You usually also have it for all pregnancies. Since it sounds like you have not had this with your other children, you definately want that ultrasound ASAP! (I also had an ultrasound early to check for twins.) I agree with the vomitting zombie thing. I never found a medication that actually stopped the nausea/vomit. If I was awake, I was sick....for 9 long months. IVs were the only thing that seemed to help. I lost track of how many IVs I had. If you are diagnosed with HG, make sure your dr. is well-educated in this. It often leads to pre-eclampsia and other unpleasantries.

Praying for you and your little one(s). Twins might be fun. Keep us posted.

Maybe I don't "officially" count then. I'm actually not 100% sure how much weight I've lost. I do know I'm down 2lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight, but I think I put on a few pounds in the first few weeks when I was eating constantly to try to squelch the nausea, so I could be down even 5ish or more?!? The nausea has been debilitating the entire time, but the vomiting multiple times a day and keeping NOTHING (including sips of water, meds, etc) down didn't really start until about a week and a half ago. Honestly, at this point, I don't care what you call it at this point!!

I had it with all 4 of my pregnacies - it was HORRIBLE!!! I had the pump that went in your leg to give you a continuous dosage of zofran and also an iv at home (with several overnight hospital stays as well). It was not fun. The only good thing I can tell you is mine went away each time around 16 weeks...so there may be hope at the end of the tunnel.

Please let 16wk (or sooner) be the ticket. Everyday that goes by, I swear I can't do another day.

I would find out if or when you would qualify for a pump, just like with insulin but with OB's drug of choice for nausea. :grouphug:

I will ask when I go back on the 15th (if I don't end up there sooner).

No suggestions, just hugs. with my last pregnancy, I noticed I was much sicker when visiting my mil in a rocky mt state than in western wa. we drove, but I literally could feel a difference in how I felt, much better, as I descended the pass. just the difference in climate. could the difference in weather this summer in iowa be part of it?

I did know that identicals were not hereditary, but it still just feels so unlikely. I think my husband might have a meltdown if does happen to be twins.

Weather? Hmm....I'm not sure.

I had HG *only* with my 5th baby. Phenergan didn't do much for me, but Zofran was a God send. I lost a LOT of weight in the first 18 weeks, even on Zofran. (I think I lost about 20 lbs. It was horrible. I lived on lemon drops and hot tea. Everything else came right up. Showering, brushing my teeth, almost anything would make me sick.)

I am so very sorry you are suffering with this. It is horrific and depressing and I found no one understood. I would hear, "Oh, I had morning sickness when I was pg, too." Uh, no. This isn't morning sickness. *I* had morning sickness with my 4 previous pregnancies. Number 5 was just a nightmare and having everyone act like they knew how I felt and "advise" me made me want to punch folks.... "You just need to eat XYZ." "Just exercise every day. It'll clear right up." "Oh, with my morning sickness, I drank Tang and felt better immediately." Grrrrrr.....

I think nobody understanding is a huge part of the emotional toll I'm feeling. Even poor DH.....he's gone a lot and is trying to understand, but still. I feel so isolated. I can't go anywhere, do anything. Even a shower seems impossible most days. My house is a DISASTER, my dishes piled and stinky and I can barely get off the couch to go to the bathroom. I feel like a terrible mom....my kids have been plugged in front of the TV with snacks for 6 weeks. They've had cereal for lunch/dinner more times than I can count. DH is trying hard to be understanding, but I know he's tired of looking at the mess and it's starting to show.

I had it with all three pgs. I hate to say this but all the meds and supplements I was taking didn't make it stop. It reduced the severity, but the vomiting and feel-sick-every-hour-of-the-day never stopped. I even woke up during the night because I had to vomit. It slowed down once I hit seven months, but again didn't completely end. During the first trimester my caregivers freaked out a bit because of the weight I lost. I don't weigh a lot to begin with so when I went from 96 lbs to around 87 lbs they didn't like it. But I had three healthy normal size babies. So it all turned out wonderfully.

I'm sorry I wish I had more helpful suggestions.

I wake up multiple times a night too. It's so hard to fall back asleep when your stomach is just rolling. This is, by far, the most miserable thing I've ever experienced.

Phenergan always made me cramp and feel sicker. It would eventually knock me out. Though, yes, I would expel most of it. UGH!

See if they will give you a script for Zofran. It works wonders and doesn't knock you out (Phenergan only works by knocking you out so that you aren't throwing up...because you won't gag while sleeping). Zofran actually has something to do with the gag trigger in your brain.

I've been down that road three times.

I have the dissolving Zofran already. It doesn't seem to be doing anything except making me TERRIBLY constipated, which results in more tummy discomfort, cramping, and pain. Ironically, the IV Zofran does seem to help....or maybe it's because it's in combination with fluids?

I'm *just* starting to feel human again at 15 weeks. I am on Zofran. It is really helping now, but the Sickness peaked at around 10 weeks and was really bad until 13 weeks.

I only lost 10 lbs this pregnancy and I still had pregnancy weight to lose from my last because I am breast feeding and I always hang on to 10-15 lbs until I am done.

My 2nd pregnancy was the worst I went from 117 lbs to 98. IV's were so helpful.

I have a sil who told me to think good thoughts and be positive. She thought I brought this on myself!!! "Just eat something", "Drink water..." If I could, I would! Does anyone think someone would WANT to feel this way??????

This hit me at about 10wk too! Like I said earlier, the nausea prior to that was certainly 24/7 and debilitating, but then add in the vomiting up everything at 10wk and I just don't know how much more I can handle.

If I only had $1 for every time somebody told me to just keep drinking sips. Um....I would if I could! Believe me, I'm trying.

:iagree: Taking the unisom/zofran combo made me slightly more human, but didn't cure me. I was still sick 3-4 times a day which was better than 5+. I lived on slurpees, fruit loops and bagels. I remember sitting at the bottom of the stairs, crying to my DH that I was so hungry but that I just threw up anything I ate.

:lol: So true! I would have friends complain to me about their m/s. How they felt a little nauseated in the morning and it was horrible. I sure wish I had their brand of m/s. And then they all wondered why DH and I decided to stop after #3. I just can not go through 9 more months of HE again. Every time the baby lust even hints at hitting me, all I have to do is think about 9 months of puking and the desire goes right away.:lol:

Um...if this wasn't our last anyway, it would be now. There is no way I could do this again.

Check out the HelpHer forums. There are women over there that have BTDT and have vast amounts of knowledge. :grouphug:

I glanced at that website the other day. It was what made me consider that maybe I might "count" as having HG afterall. I'll have to go check into it a little deeper.

Maybe cut it in half? I spent both pregnancies on Phenergan, and it helped me. Of course, my goal at the time was not quality, but just to keep working, and eat something, anything... I could only eat what I had cravings for in the beginning. As long as it is food, try to eat what you are specifically craving. Dh would call me at work and fetch whatever I was hungry for, just so I could eat one thing that day.

I took the Phenergan as soon as I woke up, waited about 30min, ate if I thought I could, went back to sleep until time to get up to work 3-11 shift. As the pregnancy progressed, I was able to eat decently with med.

I can't cut them in half. I have suppositories. :( I've only tried them once, but the intestinal cramping they caused was NOT pleasant at all. Maybe it was just a fluke.

I would say this is about how I'm functioning right now anyway. I might welcome sleeping through it all. I lay on the couch/bed MISERABLE all day long - unable to get up to do anything other than go to the bathroom, which often results in vomiting anyway. I often say that I wish I could just sleep through it all.

I suffered from hyperemesis all three pg's I had. It got significantly worse with each one. My second one I was only hospitalized once (altho I should've been more than that)....my third.....they thought I was going to die. My medical group called out their former head perionatologist out of retirement to treat me. I had iv infusions at least three times a week to re-hydrate me, I was on phenergen orally and I think b12 as well. I was given zofran in my iv every time I went it........

My dr set me up to go in to the chemo lab to do my iv because the nurses clinic was not nice to me (huge understatement), which was very sad, and I felt guilty that everyone thought I had cancer. When the patients found out I was pg, they got really happy, and liked to rub my belly. :)

The phenergen made me twitchy and knocked my arse out...I spent most of my time during treatment going pee. I lived in cami's with a built in bra and pj bottoms. As I had two older children, it was hard to do anything. I had to go to my dd's classroom everyday to pick her up because she was in kindergarten, and it was brutal. I would go out with a tea bag to hold to my nose because smells set me off, and all I drank was bubble water...the burps helped it stay down. I lost weight every pg instead of gaining which wasn't so bad with the last two because I was overweight to begin with.

When there was a huge fire coming over the hill behind our street, we had to evacuate, and the neighbors teased that the only way to get me outside was a fire. Jackxxx.

I had numerous paper grocery sacks lined with newspaper and a trash bag to puke in....the clean up was quick and easy, just throw it in the outside trashcan. Things I discovered : jello tastes just as good coming back up, bread made me feel as if i was sufficating, root beer is very painful, and apples are hurty.

saltwater taffy saved my life. It was the only thing I could keep down.

I slept. A lot. My family had clean clothes "piles", and lots of frozen meals for dinner.

In the end of my pg, it was worse than the beginning .......I also had gd, so they did an amino to see if my baby's lungs were mature so they could take him. My dr was very worried (gd baby lungs mature slowly), my bff started a huge prayer chain, and I was literally doing nothing but puking and sleeping. In the end, babys lungs were matured, I was induced, and we're ok.

I was just reading on helpher.org:

1. now the typical triggers with HG and create an environment free of them if possible.
    Mothers with HG often are unable to tolerate the following:
    • Blinking/bright lights
    • Sight/thought/smell food (e.g. TV, others eating) - YES!! - I look away from the TV all the time for just that reason.
    • Noise (e.g. TV, kids) - Oh, yes....this.
    • Toothpaste
    • Motion - Yep.
    • Standing or sitting upright - This one is HUGE for me.
    • Empty stomach - Another sure trigger.
    • Any smells (scented deodorant, shampoo, etc.)
      Understand she may need to sleep alone as her sense of smell is heightened and she can likely smell food on your skin and breath. Don't be offended by this. It is a hormonal reaction. She also may be unable to tolerate the extra motion, and may even be unable to shower daily. - Yep!
    • Pressure on her stomach - This one is TERRIBLE for me. I can't even rest my hand on my stomach.
    • Stimulation of gag reflex (e.g. swallowing pills) - I don't even need to stimulate it....I feel like I'm on the verge of gagging constantly.
    • Riding in the car (See Homeopathic Remedies.)
    • Vitamins (esp. with iron)

[*]Be aware of what may make her feel depressed, guilty, anxious and/or frustrated and try to proactively resolve or minimize their influence:

• Lack of understanding & support from others - Yep.
  • Inability to take vitamins, or eat healthy - Yep.
  • Taking medications perceived as risky
  • Missing out on the "fun" of being pregnant - Yep.
  • Loss of a "normal" pregnancy
  • Lost work days or quitting work
  • Putting life "on hold" for many months - Yep.
  • Longing to eat and drink normally - Yep.
  • Money expended on care and support
  • Lack of energy and severe fatigue - Yep.
  • Irritability and lack of enjoyment in life - Yep.
  • Memory loss or inability to think clearly
  • Burden of care and time on others - This is a big one!
  • Lack of socialization (i.e. isolation) - Yep.
  • Inability to prepare for birth/arrival of baby
  • Inability to care for family and home - This one really eats at me.
  • Wanting to terminate the pregnancy to end the misery - I would never do it, but I've often said that I've changed my mind. I want to give up.
  • Other's perception that HG is only in her mind - Yes.
  • Loss of hope that nausea will cease before birth - I'm getting there.
  • Fear of painful treatments or being force fed
  • Reluctance of doctors to treat due to cost or liability
  • Weight loss or inadequate gain for gestational age of baby
  • Fluctuating emotions due to hormones and illness
  • Sense of inadequacy and failure at being unable to cope or function - This one is HUGE for me too.
  • Fear of harming baby or more difficult birth
  • Fear of morbidity or death
  • Difficulty bonding with baby
  • Lack of energy and socialization for kids - Yes.
  • Lack of excitement about baby's arrival
  • Dreading the prolonged recovery time

I just keep reading and thinking...."that's me", "that's me".

Hi~

I am so sorry you are going through this. No one can possibly know what it is like until you have been there. I have had it every time.

My dds preschool teacher even called because she was concerned about my dd putting babies under her shirt and going into the bathroom and "coughing into the potty"

Try the home health care route and have in home IV therapy. The IVs were the main thing that worked for me. I never had them at home, but I actually looked forward to being in the hospital because it was the only relief that I ever felt. Not to discourage you but mine lasted the whole time. I puked in labor and with one baby it lasted a week or so afterward. The Dr said that was because of all the hormones still in my body.

Sheri

"I can't cut them in half. I have suppositories. :( I've only tried them once, but the intestinal cramping they caused was NOT pleasant at all. Maybe it was just a fluke."

Actually, you can cut the suppositories in half, out of the packaging. I used them for months, however, I don't remember any cramping, etc.

Praying you get some relief...

I hate to say but many OB's just aren't up to date on tx. If you are having as much trouble as stated here you need to write it all out or take the check sheet and take it with you to an appointment to sit down with your OB and discuss this now, not in two weeks. If your OB isn't comfortable with diagnosis and tx then ask for a referral to a specialist. To many OB's sweep it under the rug, because things like nausea are subjective. Pumps can be wonderful.

So sorry you are so miserable! Hopefully your doctor will be able to find something to give you some relief SOON. I know it just adds to the misery to think about all the tasks that you usually do to care for your home and family that you unable to care for right now. But you are certainly not a bad mom for not being able to do those things. Your job right now is to be as healthy as you can be and to try to provide a healthy enviroment for you growing little one. Accept all the outside help you can get and don't feel guilty about it. Sleep all you can (you won't be vomiting at least). Stay hydrated (even if it means an IV port). Remind yourself often that, while this is absolutely horrible, it won't last forever and your family will be blessed with this new little one (who is of course totally worth the trouble it's causing right now).

Praying for better days, your health, and a beautiful new baby :grouphug:

I was very sick with both pregnancies, that is why there are only 2 dc in my signature! I have never heard of HG, but I wonder.... I was sick until 6th month with my first, until 7th month with my second. No way could I have worked. I never went to the hospital.... with my first, I started to feel like I could eat mid afternoon, so I ate and drank like crazy until I went to bed, then started over, ate, threw it up, went to bed until mid afternoon, eat like crazy, bed, repeat. With my second, I was sick until dinnertime... but ate like crazy until bedtime. I look at pregnant women and wonder why they aren't in bed.... And you are right, NO ONE understands, you are very alone. I saw about the low blood pressure, I had one visit where it was 70/40.... and all they said was "are you alive?" Is HG a new diagnosis?

:grouphug::grouphug: Hang in there, at least it doesn't last forever..... I had a melt down every two weeks or so, and told dh "no more after this even if I beg!!!"

I did read that magnesium deficiency might be a cause..... so if you are up to it, take an Epson salt bath, it couldn't hurt!!

I was sick as a dog when I was pregnant. With my first, I had to take tons of meds, lost over 20 lbs in the first trimester, and ended up getting lots of IV fluids. It was really horrible. Like you, I tried all the other options before going to meds, but I was so sick and miserable and unhealthy I had to take the meds. With my next pregnancies, I started the meds early and managed to *only* lose 10-12 lbs each time. :tongue_smilie:

BTW, Phenergan supp were a bust. I felt like my bum was on fire. TMI, I know. You can get the oral dissolving Zofran, which I think works well. I used to take one of those before I even got out of bed. Then I'd take Phenergan for breakthrough nausea. Phenergan makes most people sleepy, but after you build up a little, it's not so bad.

Take the meds, rest, be easy on yourself, eat a bland diet. It will pass eventually.

I'm so sorry. I wouldn't wish that on anyone! :grouphug:

I had HG with two of my four pregnancies. Since I have 4 singleton girls it definitely wasn't a singleton/multiple or gender issue for me. With my oldest my doc (this was 1995 into 1996) didn't want me taking phenegran and Zofran wasn't available, or I didn't know about it. I was hospitalized several times and lost 14lbs during the first trimester. I did better during the second trimester but the sickness came back around week 32.

With my second they would give me Tigan (sp) when hospitalized, but not at home. I was only hospitalized twice and only lost 8-10 lbs.

I was TERRIFIED when I conceived number 3, but the sickness wasn't nearly as bad. By that time my doc, a different one, recommended dramamine and/or phenergan. Again, this was some years ago. I'm not sure if the dram. is still recommended.

I did take Zofran some with number 4, though I don't think I truly had HG. Several of my friends have as well. I did wear the leg injection pump for a bit that is sometimes used with Zofran. But I terbutiline in my pump, which is nasty stuff.

For me weeks 6-14 and 32+ were the worst. I think the sickness I had at the end may have been related to a uterine issue I had though which caused all my babies to be stuck high breech, right under my stomach. They all came early at between 34-37 weeks as a result.

The only other factor in my case was stress/emotional distress. I was honestly much more emotionally stable during preg. 3 and 4. While I don't believe the stress caused the HG, it certainly didn't help.

((HUGS)) I know it seems endless and is a HUGE issue now, but it will pass.

Edited by hsbeth
typos

:iagree: Taking the unisom/zofran combo made me slightly more human, but didn't cure me. I was still sick 3-4 times a day which was better than 5+. I lived on slurpees, fruit loops and bagels. I remember sitting at the bottom of the stairs, crying to my DH that I was so hungry but that I just threw up ...:

I'm so sorry you feel so bad. I was the lucky winner who managed drugs for all my pregnancies and was hospitalized with five. I standardly lost 20-25 lbs.It is NOT just ms. Demand treatment. If you physically can't have dh or a friend go with and demand it for you. I found vomiting in their office was especially effective :001_huh: Seriously, I'll be praying for you. It is misery.

I don't know if it's been posted earlier in this thread, or I might have missed it, but have you had your thyroid checked? I had HG for one of my pregnancies, and I thought I was losing my mind! My OB finally took the advice of another OB and tested my thyroid function. It was waaay out of whack, and once it was corrected with anti-thyroid medication, I began to feel much better. I was on a med to slow my heart rate for a while too, and that helped. But I could never really eat and keep anything down until the thyroid problem was treated.

Editing.....I also had a wild reaction to Phenergan, which only made me feel worse. At one time, I was taking enough Thorazine or Compazine to knock out a horse, but it had almost no affect on me. This kind of diagnosis seems to take forever to make, and life is so miserable in the meantime.

Edited by Poke Salad Annie

I suffered for 9 months with all 7 of my kids. I was given phenergan and could not function on it plus I ended up in the hospital anyway. I lost one twin with baby #5/6 because I could not sustain both of them. I also could not swallow my spit or drink water. I weighed less when I delivered my kids then when I got pregnant. I have had a study based on my case because it was so severe. I spent most of the 9 mo with baby 1,2,5 and 7 in and out of the hospital. Doing IV therapy in dr office never was enough for me.

I would think with the suppository you either are not placing it far enough inside or you just cannot handle it. There are some natural things I did but none ever kept me out of the hospital.

Thank you for all the responses!

I was in the ER again last night for fluids. That makes 3x in a week now. I lost 2 additional pounds since Friday bringing my total to 7-8lbs now (in about 2.5 weeks). I wasn't going to go until I found that my urine ketones were over 160mg/dL (the highest the strip measures).

ER doctor took blood and gave me 2L of fluid and IV Zofran (which seems to work so much better than the oral version). My magnesium was a little low again, but they didn't give me any like they did last time. I wasn't overly pleased with the ER docs apparent lack of concern, but she did make sure to tell me that I needed to get with my OB this week and come up with a plan.

When I got fluids at the OB office on Friday, it took them 3 sticks and 2 nurses to get a very fragile IV started (with a pediatric needle/catheter). Last night it took 3 (very painful) sticks and 2 nurses (the second being the life flight nurse) to get my IV started (pediatric needle/catheter again). If this every 3 days stuff continues, I'm not sure how they will find IV sites anymore. I currently have 10 "poke" sites from the last week.

The good news? I heard the heartbeat for the first time last night :) U/S is scheduled for this afternoon. I'll call the office and hopefully get something set up with my OB for this week (she's gone today).

I also contacted beyondmorningsickness.com, and it seems that they may be a wonderful resource. They found me a volunteer who lives close to me. I'm hoping that, if nothing else, she will be a good source of support.

I wasn't overly pleased with the ER docs apparent lack of concern, but she did make sure to tell me that I needed to get with my OB this week and come up with a plan.

I would ask if thyroid testing has been done, and at least ask your OB if it could be looked into as a possibility. Do you have any family history of thyroid problems?

I pray that you reach an end to this soon. It is so miserable. HG is why I only have two children. The thought of ever being pregnant again just makes me want to cry.

For the hospital, when I needed to go for IV fluids, my OB always sent me to labor and delivery at our local hospital. I never went through the actual ER. The nurses were much better at helping me and they knew just want to do for me. Maybe talk to your OB about something like this.

I had hyperemesis gravidarum while pregnant with all three of my kids. With my first child, I didn't have any responsibilities so I just lay on the couch for several months. With my second pregnancy, my doctor prescribed me phenergan, which didn't stop the vomiting...it just put me on a sleep/wake to vomit/sleep/wake to vomit cycle that made me miserable and unable to care for my first baby, so I just tossed my prescription and suffered through it. With my youngest child, it was even more severe. After losing 6 lbs in 48 hours I was given an IV of zofran, and a prescription for it to start taking the next day. I experienced one of the rarer side effects (extreme jitters, to the point where I literally couldn't sleep and was moving about because I was shaking so hard) until the zofran wore off, so my OB told me not to fill the prescription and gave me a prescription for a sea sickness patch, which WORKED! No side effects, I only vomited once or twice a day, and I could eat again! I just kept reapplying the sea sickness patch behind my ear (it works for 3 days) until I was a couple weeks into the second trimester and I had gone for days without vomiting.

I have never met anyone else who has used that sea sickness patch for morning sickness, and I am surprised because it worked really, really well. I would think it would be the first thing that an OB would try, because there were no side effects, there is no pill to swallow, and it didn't ever wear off - I didn't have to wait for it to take effect every morning.

(Ok, I just googled it and apparently there just haven't been any studies on its use during pregancy, so until studies have been done OB's are recommended to prescribe what is known to be safe.)

Edited by Clear Creek

I am so sorry that you are so sick, that sounds AWFUL. I hope you get relief soon. My MS usually ends around 16-17 weeks. I think it's amazing that even in the midst of so much suffering, you were so excited to hear your little one's heartbeat. :grouphug: The love of a mother is truly amazing.

I was in the ER again last night for fluids. That makes 3x in a week now. I lost 2 additional pounds since Friday bringing my total to 7-8lbs now (in about 2.5 weeks). I wasn't going to go until I found that my urine ketones were over 160mg/dL (the highest the strip measures).

ER doctor took blood and gave me 2L of fluid and IV Zofran (which seems to work so much better than the oral version). My magnesium was a little low again, but they didn't give me any like they did last time. I wasn't overly pleased with the ER docs apparent lack of concern, but she did make sure to tell me that I needed to get with my OB this week and come up with a plan.

When I got fluids at the OB office on Friday, it took them 3 sticks and 2 nurses to get a very fragile IV started (with a pediatric needle/catheter). Last night it took 3 (very painful) sticks and 2 nurses (the second being the life flight nurse) to get my IV started (pediatric needle/catheter again). If this every 3 days stuff continues, I'm not sure how they will find IV sites anymore. I currently have 10 "poke" sites from the last week.

The good news? I heard the heartbeat for the first time last night :) U/S is scheduled for this afternoon. I'll call the office and hopefully get something set up with my OB for this week (she's gone today).

I also contacted beyondmorningsickness.com, and it seems that they may be a wonderful resource. They found me a volunteer who lives close to me. I'm hoping that, if nothing else, she will be a good source of support.

With the trouble finding patent sites they can insert a catheter through your upper arm into the vena cava. It's called a PICC line. It stays in, so they don't have to keep poking you. They can also draw blood through it as well as give meds.

I was terrified to get it, but once it was in I could go iv Zofran and fluids at home. You can also get a rx for iv vitamins to mix into the fluids.

Yes, BTDT and it is miserable. At one point, I was on both an infustion pump and an IV, and oral meds. I was at home though after the 2nd overnight stay at the hospital. I lost 23lbs with my first dd and 20lb with my 2nd dd by 12 weeks.

I was given a combination of meds that did include phenergan at one point. Zofran was a huge help. But, I was given several meds in combination to try and control the HG.

IF I recall, there are some newer studies (my youngest is almost 13 years) that suggest tyroid might be part of the problem. My thyroid labs were fine throughout the pregnancy, but I had some big thyroid short-term problems postpartum.

I did not require a PIC line, but I know 3 IRL ladies who did. We talked about it with me, but never got to that point. With my first dd, around 20 weeks, the nausea just went away. It was like someone flipped a switch and it was gone. With my 2nd dd, it was not that dramatic, but it did eventually stop until about 36 weeks. I had go back on zofran the last 2 weeks until delivery.

Hope you get some relief soon!!!!