Menu

Decluttering....I am ON A ROLLL......

Anyone else?

I am the tossing Queen! I will not feel guilty....I will not feel bad....I will just toss....tosss...toooosssssss....

Just tossed out 4,000,000 CLE used light units and 10 years worth of workbooks,outlines, coloring pages, all sorts of stuff.

Phew.....next closet to be attacked in 15 minutes!

My dd just said the same thing about the basement!

We filled 6 lawn and leaf bags in the past hour and are on a break for the next 7 minutes, then back to work.

I have been at it for 2 weeks. It's like a spend hours a day and it doesn't even look like it.

I threw out one of my very favorite ever tshirts yesterday. I think I'm down to about 2 dark tees now, the rest I raid out of darling's closet.

I kept thinking, "Oh, I should keep this for when I color my hair...when I know I'm going to clean with chemicals and soap...blah blah."

It was really a favorite though, had 30K miles on it minimum.

The husband and I are working on that right now! Okay, I might not be, but I was thinking about it :lol:

I think I got the suggestion from here to read "Organizing From the Inside Out" and I'm finding it very useful so far to help me put things in good places for us instead of just tossing and boxing stuff so we can't see it.

I also started Habit Hacker emails last week to help me build routines for keeping up with my house.

I made a great deal of progress in August, but did nothing last week. :glare: I need to get back on it.

I'm trying to muster the courage to toss old workbooks that I'm unlikely to use with the littles. It's a big hurdle to clear!

It would help if I could get someone to convince me to :::gulp::: throw away a big box of books I keep staring at. They're worthless online, and my library isn't taking donations right now. We don't have a goodwill. And they're not in the greatest condition. But the thought of chucking them...

I just found my older kids lesson plan books.....oh my, I was really a good teacher before I fizzed out. Hopefully dejunking will help me regain a bit of my brain......

I tossed tons today...and am being totally merciless. It is hard to live sparse when you have8 pack rats living with you...they don't know what hittem'.

I just found my older kids lesson plan books.....oh my, I was really a good teacher before I fizzed out. Hopefully dejunking will help me regain a bit of my brain......

I tossed tons today...and am being totally merciless. It is hard to live sparse when you have8 pack rats living with you...they don't know what hittem'.

:lol: I'm loving this thread. You go, girl!

I hope you have something to left to wear, and coats for the kids when the weather turns cold.;)

Hubby and I have been working through the house for the past few weeks. Today, I am just not very motivated. I SHOULD be working right now. Instead, I am on The Hive taking a break, because I was just "phoning it in" and not accomplishing much, except making more of a mess. I'm supposed to be rearranging the kids' bedrooms. They were sleeping in one and had the other as their play room, but I'm separating them again.

The play room had little futon type couch thingy that somehow got broken, so I took it apart, kept the base and foam and am going to build a bench out of it.

Hubby, on the other hand, is on a roll. He's cleaning right now. He got out the magic eraser and is cleaning scuffs on walls, cupboards, etc. This morning he dropped off the accumulation of stuff to the donation center that I've managed to do over the past couple weeks. He figured out what was wrong with his car and fixed that, took the kids to the store so DD could spend her birthday money, put the new registration stickers on both the vehicles. I asked him to share some energy, but so far it hasn't worked.

Oh, and we sold our couch and love seat this morning. We probably could have got a better price, but it's GONE. Happy dancing about that. We moved it out to the garage a couple days ago, then this morning DH pushed it out to the driveway and put a for sale sign on it. It sold in probably 1/2 an hour or so - to the neighbours across the street. Now we just have four Corda-Roys for furniture in the LR, and it's so nice that I can stack them wherever and move them easily for vacuuming, etc. At this point in time, we don't plan to replace the furniture. I am on a modified "tiny house" plan. I don't want to go that small, but I do want to go smaller, and multi-purpose and keep stuff for 3 purposes only Need it, Use it, or Love it.

I am tired of our stuff owning us, instead of the other way around.

Hubby and I have been working through the house for the past few weeks. Today, I am just not very motivated. I SHOULD be working right now. Instead, I am on The Hive taking a break, because I was just "phoning it in" and not accomplishing much, except making more of a mess. I'm supposed to be rearranging the kids' bedrooms. They were sleeping in one and had the other as their play room, but I'm separating them again.

The play room had little futon type couch thingy that somehow got broken, so I took it apart, kept the base and foam and am going to build a bench out of it.

Hubby, on the other hand, is on a roll. He's cleaning right now. He got out the magic eraser and is cleaning scuffs on walls, cupboards, etc. This morning he dropped off the accumulation of stuff to the donation center that I've managed to do over the past couple weeks. He figured out what was wrong with his car and fixed that, took the kids to the store so DD could spend her birthday money, put the new registration stickers on both the vehicles. I asked him to share some energy, but so far it hasn't worked.

Oh, and we sold our couch and love seat this morning. We probably could have got a better price, but it's GONE. Happy dancing about that. We moved it out to the garage a couple days ago, then this morning DH pushed it out to the driveway and put a for sale sign on it. It sold in probably 1/2 an hour or so - to the neighbours across the street. Now we just have four Corda-Roys for furniture in the LR, and it's so nice that I can stack them wherever and move them easily for vacuuming, etc. At this point in time, we don't plan to replace the furniture. I am on a modified "tiny house" plan. I don't want to go that small, but I do want to go smaller, and multi-purpose and keep stuff for 3 purposes only Need it, Use it, or Love it.

I am tired of our stuff owning us, instead of the other way around.

Cool beans!!! Go hubby, go!

:D

I have been at it for 2 weeks. It's like a spend hours a day and it doesn't even look like it.

:grouphug:

Keep going! It will start to look different soon.

We did a HUGE declutter challenge in August and got rid of a bunch of stuff. We had a yard sale at my moms and got rid of 5 items. :lol: It was SO sad. So it is all going to second hand tomorrow. Yay!

Now after reading this thread...I am looking at my sunroom at the piles of books that have been waiting patiently to be donated to the library. I have such a hard time with books. But I have no more room for another bookshelf. So out they go tomorrow.

I threw out one of my very favorite ever tshirts yesterday. I think I'm down to about 2 dark tees now, the rest I raid out of darling's closet.

I kept thinking, "Oh, I should keep this for when I color my hair...when I know I'm going to clean with chemicals and soap...blah blah."

It was really a favorite though, had 30K miles on it minimum.

I can totally relate. I just tossed a favorite comfy pair of Levi's as the hole in the crotch finally got a little too big for pretty much even the grungiest of activities. :tongue_smilie:

I've been decluttering, too. We moved to a smaller house finally this spring, then went away for a month, so now I'm working to get rid of all the stuff that just doesn't fit.

I'm working through a book and following orders. I whipped through the entire house and got rid of everything that obviously has to go. Now I'll go through room by room and really plan each room's use and how to best accomodate that.

I'm so ready for an emptier, roomier space!

You and me both. Today I got rid of four trash bags of things, 6 games for the closet at church for a future family game night, some items for a friend, and a huge box of books to donate to the library!

I wanted to declutter in prep for the work that is going into repainting my cabinets the next couple of weeks! I need to get it done before the weather turns too cool.

Edited by CountryGirl2

I have been working on the school room. Should have that done this week (need to finish going through about 100 books to either put away nicely or give away). I should go through their K and 1st grade work and pull out a few pieces from each subject to keep and toss the rest. For now though, it is put away neatly on a shelf and I will get to it hopefully next summer.

Then I will work on the arts and craft area in the unfinished basement. Arts and crafts are something I don't much like doing, but the boys love them. So...this will be a nice area when I get it done. Hopefully next week.

After that, I have 2 boxes of toiletry type supplies to either toss or put away from our move last year.

Next, the BIG project. My DH put together a lovely craft room full of Ikea furniture for me. I moved everything out of that room and into our bedroom so we could set up the furniture and put shelves in the closet. It has been this way for about 4 months. It is making me nuts. Tackling this project will require me to sort through all the boys artwork that has been accumlating for years (they are 7) and either scan and toss, save, or just toss. This is emotionally hard for me. Then I need to get rid of all the stuff I know I won't get to and just keep my scrapbooking supplies and cross-stitch stuff. I also need to sort through wrapping paper and holiday decorations (except for Christmas stuff -- that is already organized). I'm hoping to have this done by the end of October, but the end of December is more realistic :tongue_smilie:. I walk into this room, look at the mess, start hyper-ventilating, and walk back out.

Once all that is done, DH and I have to finish cleaning out the house we moved from a year ago. That is mostly stuff we don't want anymore so that shouldn't be too hard. Just have to make the time to do it. We also have a basement full of boxes at my in-laws house. We will bring over a van load of boxes at a time. Once we have gone through them and either donated, tossed, or put away, we will bring over another load. We have lived without this stuff for about 10 years so I'm thinking a lot of it will be donated.

My goal is to get all of this mess organized by the end of next summer. Then, I plan on being less stressed and spend time doing the things I enjoy. Just tired of having this monkey on my back. You guys are inspiring me to get moving...

P.S. Sorry for the long post. It felt good to put it out there to be accountable a little bit :D!

Charity truck is coming today - out goes (among other things) a bag of clothes, a huge multi-volume Handyman Encyclopedia, some toys, a 40 year old blender (that still works!), scrapbooking supplies (I don't scrapbook!) a stack of empty binders, and even the storage bins that are now empty due to intense decluttering. Not sure why, but I'm having the hardest time giving away the empty binders and empty bins! I see so much potential... (admittedly I kept a few, although I should just get rid of them all):tongue_smilie:

I'm usually pretty good about letting things go, but this time it huuuuurrrt. :001_unsure:

I think I'm getting more and more angry/sad/frustrated that we are staying in this house, and the angst against decluttering is a symptom of that - hey, if we could just MOVE (which I want to do for oh so many reasons) then I could keep a few of these things. :banghead:

I know, I just need to get over myself. :001_rolleyes:

Charity truck is coming today - out goes (among other things) a bag of clothes, a huge multi-volume Handyman Encyclopedia, some toys, a 40 year old blender (that still works!), a stack of empty binders, and even the storage bins that are now empty due to intense decluttering. Not sure why, but I'm having the hardest time giving away the empty binders and empty bins! I see so much potential... (admittedly I kept a few, although I should just get rid of them all):tongue_smilie:

I'm usually pretty good about letting things go, but this time it huuuuurrrt. :001_unsure:

I think I'm getting more and more angry/sad/frustrated that we are staying in this house, and the angst against decluttering is a symptom of that - hey, if we could just MOVE (which I want to do for oh so many reasons) then I could keep a few of these things. :banghead:

I know, I just need to get over myself. :001_rolleyes:

I would keep the bins if they are the good ones. We have some empty ones stored in the corner so when we move, I use them to move the stuff in. Binders can also be donated to local homeless shelters for school supplies. They really seemed to love the donation of those.

I had a great incentive to declutter last night. I was opening a dresser drawer and the entire dresser feel apart. Surprise. The drawers all collapsed down on each other and the sides of the dresser slipped outward on an angle. You could see through that the back of it had split in two. I used it for storing things I couldn't think of a better place for and always piled stuff on top, so I got rid of a lot and had to find a home for the rest that was worth keeping. :001_smile:

8 bags left today!!!

8 bags yesterday!

Attic clean, closets done....working on the LEGO nightmare.....tomorrow for that.

Next...another sweep through the entire house and I am doing it AGAIN.

I am going for minimalism as much as I can. I am a major declutterer anyway, so I was really surprised at how much we accumulated over the summer...GAH!

I don't even want to think about my office!

8 bags left today!!!

8 bags yesterday!

Attic clean, closets done....working on the LEGO nightmare.....tomorrow for that.

Next...another sweep through the entire house and I am doing it AGAIN.

I am going for minimalism as much as I can. I am a major declutterer anyway, so I was really surprised at how much we accumulated over the summer...GAH!

I don't even want to think about my office!

You GO girl!!!

I tackled the kitchen counter where everyone puts things that they don't know what to do with.

This is our raised kitchen counter. Everyone puts stuff here. Today there were dirty socks on it! No one claimed them.

Also, Dh piles up all his stuff here. And he carries a ton of junk with him everyday. He really needs a giant purse.

Good job all on the decluttering!!

:party::party::party:

I have been reorganizing some rooms and it has been sobering to see how much we have collected. I did buy a few shelves for the basement and they are already filled, mostly with robotics club stuff.

I am new here, but I LOVE this thread. I recently just too every single thing out of my office. We got some Expedit shelves from IKEA so I am currently going through everything as I load it on to the new shelves. It really has me tossing a lot of things! I want to do the rest of the house as soon as I am finished with the office. I was not feeling so motivated to get started today, but now I am! Thanks!

we just had our kitchen and bathrooms remodeled. I knew before they were going to do the kitchen so I was able to dejunk it as I was removing everything into bins for the remodeling. However one day right before they left they said to me "We are now removing your vanity and medicine cabinets from bathrooms so bring us some boxes to put everything in. I had no time to dejunk so EVERYTHING was put in boxes by the workers so today since my bathrooms are now finished I am going thru the boxes and toss hopefully most of it and only put back into the bathrooms what we actually NEED.

A few weeks ago, the girls and I did the main declutter of their room. Today, it "only" took two hours to clean it and get a little more purged. (They cleaned, I played drill sergeant.)

2 hours still sounds ridiculous to me, but I'll call it a huge improvement over the 13 hour job we did in there over the summer!