Menu

Do any of you feel like you HAVEN'T wasted money?

Aspasia

We haven't even officially started kindergarten yet and I'm feeling like I've wasted money. We have been doing reading, handwriting, and math. I bought StartWrite software--totally unnecessary for us. I bought Happy Phonics--overkill.

We're beginning Adventures in America and Elemental Science soon. I started looking through those and realized that it would have been just as easy to just buy a spine (which i had to do for Elemental Science anyway) and do it myself. AND I would have picked topics that dd and I thought were interesting rather than doing the ones someone else picked. Luckily, those two programs were super cheap. I just wish I had spent the money on the Betsy Maestro American history books instead--same effect but with fun illustrations and a broader span.

So, already feeling regret before I've really begun, I wonder if anyone gets through this thing without wasting money. Any wise words to help me minimize wasted money in the future?

Scouring local used-curriculum sales and homeschooling conventions as a way to get some hands-on time with resources before a purchase really have helped minimize my wasteful (and impulsive) purchases. I also wrote up this helpful post to throw some more suggestions out there for people.

I have bought stuff that has gone unused, but I don't usually look at those purchases as wasted money. I see it more as a learning experience. Maybe I need to take off the rose colored glasses.:tongue_smilie:

A few things I am learning on the way:

1) Set goals before purchasing curricula. This is a biggie for me. For example, say one goal is to have dd writing a report by the end of the year. I don't just buy XYZ writing program just because, I look for a program that teaches report writing.

2) I read reviews and this board critically. This board is a huge help to me in researching curricula, but you really have to read carefully. 'nuff said.

3) After that I don't beat myself up about making the wrong decision. I knew what I wanted, and I researched it well. If it was still a bust, oh well. I learned something more about what works for me (most importantly) and also about what works for each kid.

I have been feeling that way this year too. With our MFW ECC curriculum I feel like I could have done just as well to pick out library books for a specific country and do some fun projects with it (same with the science). We tried PAL reading- completely unnecessary and too slow for ds. I think MFW was the last boxed curricula for us to try- I have learned my lesson and we are moving on! Next year I will have a spine for history (probably MOH) and I will put the rest together. We will be doing science by watching and notebooking (with a few experiments added in) the DVD from Magic School Bus. There are so many resources online now that there is no reason you can't pick exactly what will fit your family:)

You may find it useful later. Startwrite really wasn't helpful to me until my DD got beyond writing basics, but I'm using it quite a bit this year. We started Athenaze last year and have dropped it as formal curriculum this year simply because DD wants to focus on the Exploratory Latin Exam and Latin (and even though SHE'D gladly do a ton of languages, I was having a really hard time keeping Greek straight since I was learning it along with her), and I can see her going back to it later-I've found her reading the book a few times.

But yes, about half of what I bought for her 5 yr old year ended up being wasted because it took her what seemed like about 35 seconds to whip through the books-I had to find the right level before a book actually took a reasonable amount of time. I'm starting to get that feeling about Key to Algebra this year. On one hand, it's a good number of problems for her, and she's feeling successful-OTOH, I'm pretty sure each workbook is supposed to last more than a week!

I've probably only purchased 2-3 books that we didn't finish and they were a) inexpensive and b) not core curriculum.

So, to answer your question, I don't feel as though I've wasted money when it comes to curriculum. This has been achieved mainly by sticking to SWB's recommendations the first 1-2 years of homeschooling before exploring other options to address perceived holes. I had to be a homeschooler for a year or two before I really started to know what I wanted in various curriculums and what was overkill. SWB's recommendations in the WTM were invaluable in giving me a stress-free, strong start to homeschooling. I think we tend to want to overdo things when we homeschool ... not sure if it's because of the pressure to do well or to counter the notion that we don't know what we're doing ... but falling into the curriculum trap is very easy, particularly if you rely on forums more than the WTM book.

ETA: Here's an example: After a year of using science spines (the DK Publishing books SWB recommends), I realized we needed more structure, so I did some research and ended up using Apologia science. It worked for several years until I decided I wasn't in love with it beyond the elementary years and wanted to make a change when my oldest started middle school. I'm still using Apologia for my youngest, but we've totally abandoned the DK Publishing stuff she recommends.

Edited by mrsanniep

There have been a few really bad purchases, but a lot of stuff gets delegated to resources rather than core. I can't tell you how many times I pull a page or idea from a book I stopped using as a core. Textbooks make good reference books. They have great table of contents and indexes.

And how much would we be willing to pay for a teacher training course? Many books have taught me SO much just by ME reading them. Bits and pieces get spoon fed to students at the appropriate high interest moments that come up in daily life.

The people I've seen waste the least money, are people who use ACE, Calvert and American School. For some of them, the curriculum is "school" and they buy enrichment activities just like any PS family does. Their houses are cleaner, they have a life, they are calm. Some Robinson families, especially in years past, wasted very little they didn't use.

I definitely had way more flops my first year than I did this year (our third year).

Part of it is figuring out where your child is, how they learn, etc. Even if you homeschool from the beginning, it's going to take a while for that child's learning style to be apparent. I've had some a-ha moments with DS2's learning style this year that I couldn't tell early on. Also, how they learn at age 3 or 4 is not necessarily going to be the same way they learn at 5, 6, or 7. Definitely saw that in DS1 (who resisted anything resembling "school" at age 4, and now he's a dream to teach).

When I first started with DS1, halfway through 1st grade... I went through 3 spelling programs in the first 3 weeks of school. :lol: And I've used at least 4 more since then! :tongue_smilie: I've finally figured out what works for DS1 AND me in spelling, and we're trying to stick with it now. :D

Some subjects, I've bought ahead, thinking we would stick with them, and then I ended up not sticking with them. :glare: AAS was one. I had bought through level 4, but we bailed halfway through level 3. I also bought multiple notebooking journals for Apologia, and then I discovered that they're basically the same thing every lesson, which gets kind of boring. We've used part of the Astronomy journal, and I have the Zoo1-3 ones sitting on the shelf, going unused. I probably need to sell them, as I doubt we'll ever use them. I also bought ETC 1-3 and only used part of ETC1, though we *may* use them again at some point, and I do have another child coming up who likes to "do school". ;)

This year, I feel pretty comfortable with everything I purchased and don't think I've wasted money. :party: Some big ticket items I purchased from the company, as they had a very good return policy. Another item I bought an older version used for dirt cheap so I could try it out - no harm if it didn't work.

Sometimes I buy something, end up not liking it, put it away, then later decide to use it afterall and I end up liking it. R&S Spelling was definitely one of those! I actually bought and sold one level, then a year later, got the next level up and used it for a bit, then switched to something else, then switched back and have been using it for several months now.

As you find your student's learning style, your teaching style, and figure out what pace your child goes, you'll get better about picking curricula that fit your family well, or learning how to tweak things to make them fit better.

I don't feel like I have. There are some things I have bought that we didn't get to, or that I only used sporadically, or only as a guide or a supplement. Rarely not at all.

But I learn from each thing. I consider that important too. I have never spent big $ and not used something. That I would consider a waste and try to sell it to make up some of the loss.

I generally try to research before I buy, buy used or on sale when I can, and use what I buy.

Mostly my wasting comes in the form of lots of books from used books sales (real books, living books, etc) that we could have done fine checking out from the library, or that I have 12 that cover the same thing. But I don't think books are a waste really. At some point it may be a use to us. If not, sometimes I pass them on or sell in another used sale.

Spending a little extra is par for the course.

Yes I bought Road Trip and could have done it on our own. We are actually using a different state report (a free online one) than what she provided. We already were intrested in reading the books she recommended and had seen them and flipped through them at Barnes & Noble. The only thing we are getting from it really is the jeopardy cards (which I don't know if we'll use) and ideas for crafts (which in some ways I wish the kids would have had this opportunity to decide how they want to explore a state versus being told how to do it).

I definitely had way more flops my first year than I did this year (our third year).

Part of it is figuring out where your child is, how they learn, etc. Even if you homeschool from the beginning, it's going to take a while for that child's learning style to be apparent. I've had some a-ha moments with DS2's learning style this year that I couldn't tell early on. Also, how they learn at age 3 or 4 is not necessarily going to be the same way they learn at 5, 6, or 7. Definitely saw that in DS1 (who resisted anything resembling "school" at age 4, and now he's a dream to teach).

When I first started with DS1, halfway through 1st grade... I went through 3 spelling programs in the first 3 weeks of school. :lol: And I've used at least 4 more since then! :tongue_smilie: I've finally figured out what works for DS1 AND me in spelling, and we're trying to stick with it now. :D

Some subjects, I've bought ahead, thinking we would stick with them, and then I ended up not sticking with them. :glare: AAS was one. I had bought through level 4, but we bailed halfway through level 3. I also bought multiple notebooking journals for Apologia, and then I discovered that they're basically the same thing every lesson, which gets kind of boring. We've used part of the Astronomy journal, and I have the Zoo1-3 ones sitting on the shelf, going unused. I probably need to sell them, as I doubt we'll ever use them. I also bought ETC 1-3 and only used part of ETC1, though we *may* use them again at some point, and I do have another child coming up who likes to "do school". ;)

This year, I feel pretty comfortable with everything I purchased and don't think I've wasted money. :party: Some big ticket items I purchased from the company, as they had a very good return policy. Another item I bought an older version used for dirt cheap so I could try it out - no harm if it didn't work.

Sometimes I buy something, end up not liking it, put it away, then later decide to use it afterall and I end up liking it. R&S Spelling was definitely one of those! I actually bought and sold one level, then a year later, got the next level up and used it for a bit, then switched to something else, then switched back and have been using it for several months now.

As you find your student's learning style, your teaching style, and figure out what pace your child goes, you'll get better about picking curricula that fit your family well, or learning how to tweak things to make them fit better.

This is why I have learned to not give away or sell things until they are way past the level. I bought AAS sold it and bought it again, but I'm not jinxing it again LOL. I just packed it up for now.

I spent a lot of money the first year on things we did not use. However, I did not waste money.

Here is how I know.

One of my more obscure and random purchases, one that I would definitely not have made if I had been being extremely careful in my purchasing, turned out to be the single most valuable thing in helping DD learn to read. It was a set of phonics readers from Scholastic that I bought randomly from ebay. They were what enabled me to pick up after the 100 EZ Lessons plateau and move her toward fluency. I'm glad I bought a bunch of other stuff, even though I didn't use it, that put in the mindset and in the vicinity of this set of books.

Kumon 2nd grade and 3rd grade reading workbooks arrived and I realized immediately they were a complete waste of money but the even bigger waste of money was the Magic School Bus science kids. We opened 1 and did 4 experiments and only half worked. Very disappointed with that. On the other hand the snap circuit kit has been an AMAZING!!! hit.

It's hard to know if something will work sometimes until you actually have it in your hands. I try to reduce loss of money by buying used, taking very good care of it, and then re-selling. I've re-couped almost all of the money (anywhere from 100%-90%) we've spent on products we didn't use or started with and ended up not liking.

Yeah, I guess I can see myself using StartWrite later, if only for cursive. I wish I could return or sell these science and history programs, but they're PDF's.

I did research the heck out of these choices, and even thought it over for a few weeks. I kept going back and forth between saving the money and doing my own thing and just spending a little so I could do less work. With the new baby, I ultimately ended up going with the spending choice. I'm just bummed to realize how very simply I could have done this myself.

Maybe I do need to look at it a little more positively. Even if I end up ditching the history program for the Maestro books, I still plan on using a lot of her craft ideas, so I guess that's worth $15. As for the science, I guess it helped me realize just how simple it would be to plan my own curriculum--I'm definitely glad I learned that lesson for $15 instead of $100!

Edited by infomom

This is my first official HS year (without the aid of a cyber school) though I've been teaching my kids on my own here and there for years I suppose...and I definitely got several things we won't use this year. I love the idea of LLATL but my kids weren't digging the reading selections. So I sold it. We also have a few other books that I won't use, but I figure it's a learning experience and I know a few things that won't work for us now. :)

This is only our 2nd year homeschooling, but I'm sure we've already wasted money on some stuff. Spelling workout being one thing. I took one look and knew it was WAY too easy for my son, and just not what I wanted. Fortunately it wasn't expensive. I also ditched Veritas Phonics in the middle of last year. Thank God someone gave that to me instead of me buying it!

i try not to feel too bad about "wasted" money on curriculum. I figure that sending my kids to private school would cost much, MUCH more than anything I am spending on books.

You're going to waste some money at the beginning (and some years after that...) and it's okay. You're not born knowing how to homeschool, it's something you have to learn as you go. And part of the learning process and is telling what curriculum is going to be a good fit. Sometimes it's impossible to tell until you're using it. AND, lots of curriculum varies by year. Something might be great in 3rd grade, and for whatever reason is horrible in 4th grade.

Definitely keep stuff that seems to "not work" until it's past the age your kids are. A couple of times I have hated something, only to love it a year later ;).

The one piece of wisdom I have picked up over the years is, stick with what works. Something new and shiny comes along, but if what you are using works, just keep using it. No matter how boring it is!

Teacher Education. That's what these purchases are. No one gets by without teacher education dollars spent. Look at all the things you have learned from these materials about how you do and don't teach, how your kids do and don't learn. And likely you'll be able to pick and choose something from them, even if you don't use them as written or as intended. Next year will be better. You'll still likely have some money spent on Teacher Education. But it will be less :).

Merry :-)

Teacher Education. That's what these purchases are. No one gets by without teacher education dollars spent. Look at all the things you have learned from these materials about how you do and don't teach, how your kids do and don't learn. And likely you'll be able to pick and choose something from them, even if you don't use them as written or as intended. Next year will be better. You'll still likely have some money spent on Teacher Education. But it will be less :).

Merry :-)

:iagree:I love this. I do not like *wasting money* but if I learn something about a teaching style or learning style it adds to, confirms my/our style. And I do love new curriculum and ideas.

The only thing I really feel like I wasted money on was The Rainbow Book of American History. It was impossible to preview or find it anywhere, several people loved it, so I wanted to see it. At the time, the cheapest I could find the book was $40.00. Once I got it and looked through it, almost every page I read seemed to be anti-native American. Ouch! I don't have a Disney's Pocahontaesque view of native Americans, but this was just painful. No, thank you, to that curriculum.

I have bought other things to look them over, and decided not to use them. None of them have been terribly expensive in the first place, and none have made me angry I spent the money like that Rainbow Book did, though.

I also bought the Create-A-Story game to try to help my son get more into writing. We've only played it once, but it's one of those I'm going to wait for my kids to outgrow before I call it a waste of money. (Plus, I can see some of my adult friends playing this for fun, although we might adapt the rules a little.)

On the other hand, I know I shell out a lot for Math-U-See and All About Spelling when there are cheaper resources out there. But I love them. My son is doing well with MUS without requiring a lot of direct instruction from me (yay!) and I personally like the bright letter tiles and the way review is structured into AAS. It makes me look forward to the spelling lessons, and my son certainly hasn't seemed to mind them.

Is this your first year? I wasted a ton of money my first year. I spent that whole year thoroughly researching programs, and we have stuck with all the new stuff for 2 years now, going on our 3rd. I am not so sure it will be as easy with my next one.

I have bought stuff that has gone unused, but I don't usually look at those purchases as wasted money. I see it more as a learning experience.

Yep. School teachers get a professional development budget, so I get one too. I don't feel bad. I look at what I didn't spend on a teaching degree and I'm spending far less than that. :p

:)

Rosie

Mostly my wasting comes in the form of lots of books from used books sales (real books, living books, etc) that we could have done fine checking out from the library, or that I have 12 that cover the same thing. But I don't think books are a waste really. At some point it may be a use to us. If not, sometimes I pass them on or sell in another used sale.

This! This is where I blow my budget!!!!!

I have shifted and changed a few things the past two years. This is our 3rd year homeschooling.

I feel like I am finally hitting my stride and figuring things out based on my childrens learning style and even my teaching style.

I have told my DH that next year I want to go to a curriculum fair. I like to thumb through things. While that may be overwhelming for some, I think I will be very happy spending a day there! :) No kids though....that was the deal with DH! LOL

So, already feeling regret before I've really begun, I wonder if anyone gets through this thing without wasting money. Any wise words to help me minimize wasted money in the future?

It's a learning experience. Be patient with yourself. :)

Wouldn't it be nice if many of the homeschool curricula providers provided a one-year money back guarantee. ;)

I try very hard not to, but I still end up doing it. The other day, I bought a handwriting workbook from Five Below. I stood there and thought about it for a long time, as it's nice and the style is good. Got it home. REALLY thought about it, put it on the shelf. Grr! I'd take it back, but you can't return to Five Below.

My most costly boo-boo lately is REAL Science Odyssey: Life. I really like History Odyssey: Ancients, but I'm not feeling RSO. Kind of like you, I feel as though I could have done a better job putting it all together.

It's hard to know if something will work sometimes until you actually have it in your hands. I try to reduce loss of money by buying used, taking very good care of it, and then re-selling. I've re-couped almost all of the money (anywhere from 100%-90%) we've spent on products we didn't use or started with and ended up not liking.

:iagree: We've been homeschooling for 8 years and I still buy something look over it, attempt to use and realize it won't work and either put it away or sell it. I agree it's teacher education and I'm still learning! ;)

Yes, this! I need to stay away from Goodwill or at least only buy absolutely what is needed. I have a slew of books that I regret buying. The library has versions I like better. Thinking about trying to sell them to free up shelf space, but I feel guilty.

I don't feel like I have. There are some things I have bought that we didn't get to, or that I only used sporadically, or only as a guide or a supplement. Rarely not at all.

But I learn from each thing. I consider that important too. I have never spent big $ and not used something. That I would consider a waste and try to sell it to make up some of the loss.

I generally try to research before I buy, buy used or on sale when I can, and use what I buy.

Spending a little extra is par for the course.

is my nemesis....We spend so much on late fees. It is ridiculous. Almost better for our family to buy the books used of course and keep it on shelves to be looked at for years ( I have many kids).

I am so bad at getting on line and renewing.

Terrible!

I use everything I buy somehow eventually. Summer time, holiday time, supplement---I keep the kids very very busy. If it is not one child, another child would benefit.

It's a learning experience. Be patient with yourself. :)

:iagree:

And I'm LOL because I've been reading Switch (highly recommend, btw) and I'm reminded of how some homeschoolers consider money spent on unused curriculum part of the educational learning curve of homeschooling. An excerpt from p. 173:

In the 1960s, an executive at IBM made a decision that ended up losing the company $10 million (about $70 million in 2009 dollars). The CEO of IBM, Tom Watson, summoned the offending executive to his office at corporate headquarters. The journalist Paul B. Carroll described what happened next: As the executive cowered, Watson asked, "Do you know why I've asked you here?" The man replied, "I assume I'm here so you can fire me." Watson looked surprised. "Fire you?" he asked. "Of course not. I just spent $10 million educating you."

:lol::lol::lol: