Menu

For those of you who live where the rest of us vacation

The beach and the mountains come to mind.

Is life really better - slower, more relaxed? Or is it just a better view while doing it? Do you get to a point that you take the great view for granted?

There is a saying that everything is better at the beach. Well, people here say it anyway. But is it better at the beach cause I'm on vacation? So is it vacation or is it the beach?

Or is it just too early in the morning to be worried about these things? :)

It is most assuredly slower. It is something that has taken me a long time to get used to. I still don't like it. The views are good when I get high enough (elevation) to see them. Currently I'm in town and only see my neighbors' houses out my windows.

I'd rather be in the big city. Plop me in Manhattan and I'd be on Cloud 9. Right now I go to Boston every chance I get, and am in heaven for a week. Dh on the other hand is content here. I suppose it is more personality than anything.

Here in FL, not slow or relaxing at all. 10 miles from the beach, so no views without going there. Tourists add to traffic every where and snowbirds in the winter. It's nice to actually get to the beach, but that doesn't happen often. I love the ocean view, but out my windows I see the neighbors :(

It depends on how long season is and how dense the population is without the tourist-trade.

I've never taken the view for granted. Sometimes, it does get one weary to have to watch the beautiful sunset across the bay while seeing yet another visitor pull an illegal u-turn* and practically run over a family biking to the bay to watch the coming sunset.

*For goodness sakes people, we're on a grid. Three lefts and a right, or three rights and a left, and you'll be going in the opposite direction!

I have lived about 5 or 6 blocks from the beach (on an island) for 19 years and yes it is much slower (in the off season). Crazy crowded in the summer. We do not like the tourists (shoobies) they drive like crazy, are loud and think they own the town, just too crowded. But the off season is wonderful. I have not gone to sit at the beach in the summer for years, but I do like to take walks in the winter and the sunrises over the ocean are beautiful.

The off season is so slow, only about 1/3 of the houses on my street have year round people and they have been here for a long time, like us and we are friends with them. The rest of the houses are owned as second homes /vacation homes and when the people come down, they are not here to be friends with neighbors but to have a good vacation time . We are sometimes irritated by them and can not wait until the summer is over.

Here in FL, not slow or relaxing at all. 10 miles from the beach, so no views without going there. Tourists add to traffic every where and snowbirds in the winter. It's nice to actually get to the beach, but that doesn't happen often. I love the ocean view, but out my windows I see the neighbors :(

We're in FL too. This is spot on. Sometimes I think I take being so close to the beach for granted and try to get out but we still have work, school etc. so it isn't like being on vacation. :)

One place that I noticed a big difference was Anchorage, AK. The job that I had was stressful, but the town was friendly, there were lots of things to do outside, skiing, biking, walking, places to picnic. Lots of people spent their free time enjoying the great outdoors. There is also lots of fishing and hunting outside of the city, lots of hiking trails in the mountains, it really was a different life than most of the other places I have been. We made good money while working there and were able to do more things like take flight seeing tours, the train ride to denali, a sightseeing tour to see the whales and other wildlife, snow machining, etc. We went there with an attitude of this is a big adventure and we are going to make the most of it. We really enjoyed our time up there and if the work returns we will try to spend another year up there especially after dd gets a little older and can remember living there.

Well when I grew up in the mountains we were busy people doing all the things other people do. But we hiked and camped and rafted most weekends. We spent a lot of free time outdoors enjoying what was around us.

When we lived blocks from the beach when the kids were babies we did go to the beach a lot in the off season and we did really enjoy it. We also walked down for the touristy summer events. I liked it a lot. It was nice to get to the beach to just enjoy it. The tourist season wasn't fun. Louder, more crowded. Grocery stores were annoying with people unable to find things. But overall I loved living by the beach and miss not being so close( I am 40 min away now).

I wouldn't say life is slower. But we have kids. I would suspect if you were retired, living by the beach, your life could be slower. Or living in the mountains in a small community...life could be slower. But with kids doing activities, being active in a church, and just life makes it busy.

Having a slower life requires effort to not be active in things but choosing to do little and be home with family or out doing activities as a family. We have years we did no activities and just did things together. It was wonderful. But we also enjoy the years they are doing activities. Gotta find your balance.

I will say that I lived in a remote community(island) many years ago. It did have a quiet feel about it. But I wouldn't say it was slower. People worked. Kids had things to do. My friends and I went to the big city often. We weren't any slower than where I am now in life....

I live close to WDW. It is NOT slow here. Traffic and more traffic. All the time. Every single day.

I'm moving in with Negin.

:grouphug:

I had no idea you live close to WDW. If my dc knew, they'd want to move in with you. :lol:

Yes, please move here. :grouphug:

Life is slower here, for sure. Too slow in many regards. We've gotten used to it. These days, the loneliness and isolation - the lack of like-minded friends - makes it difficult.

But the island is gorgeous and peaceful for the most part.

I'd say it's better because you're on vacation. Think about living in one of those areas. You may be there surround by a vacation area, but how often will you actually partake of the vacation atmosphere? Imagine living your daily life. Work still needs to get done. I can certainly get too used to a view, or at least ignore it while I am busy.

Vacation spots are also not all created equal. Some may be slower paced, some may not.

Can a change of location be beneficial? I think it can in the right circumstances. If it is enough of a change to significantly affect a person's attitude and outlook. If a current location has nothing to offer, but activities in the new location are something that would be enjoyed on a regular basis. I still do not believe it makes life feel like a vacation all the time. I have lived both in the mountains and near the beach at different times.

We've vacationed a lot in Florida with the mindset of wanting to move there. We loved Destin, but I could never live there. The traffic was horrific, I can't imagine trying to get to work. At the time my dh was a self-employed carpenter. He loves Florida, but after a week of that he'd probably been ready to pull his hair out.

ha nono, I was wondering if you were going to post on this thread and we were posting at the same time. My dod just got her license to drive by herself (first week of Aug) and she is experiencing all the crazy drivers around her and the bikers which don't pay any attention to cars at all.

Hey Jeannie in some other thread last week, I gave you a shout out of "What's the count?? How many days left??!!" :D

You know, it's actually magic how everything works in our towns. Because no one is actually here the rest of the year doing anything at all, like upkeep and such. ;)

We lived in VA Beach and it was definitely slower paced. People are more laid back and dress super casual even at church. I really like it there but hated the traffic and lack of jobs due to so many military retirees.

We came back to DC area and the pace is super fast and aggressive. Hate it but born and raised and have extended family here so here we stay for now.

I found it to be the exact opposite. I found VA Beach hectic and crazy. I am so happy we are a little further away from the beach now. Maybe it's because I grew up in the midwest, but anywhere I've lived on the east coast seems like people are in too much of a hurry all the time.

We lived on an island in the middle of the ocean for a while and it tended to be a British vacation getaway.

Life was so great we're itching to go back. Slower pace, fresher food, a general appreciation for all that life has to offer. It really was great.

I've lived in the Monterey area, and loved it. There's something to be said about being able to walk and have a delicious view in any direction.

I've lived in Virginia Beach and hated it - the pace, the annoying freeways (really, you can't go East/West on two different highways at a crossroads), the frustrating traffic, the terrible restaurants, the ploy of being coastal without a thing except high prices to set it apart.

I now live near Venice, Italy and we're dreading leaving. I'm trying not to take for granted all the things that make this so wonderful: wineries and sausage shops at every turn, amazing food made from ingredients produced here, public transportation, gelato, the afternoon rest period, the little festivals every weekend...

Yes, it is just as good living here.:)

One place that I noticed a big difference was Anchorage, AK. The job that I had was stressful, but the town was friendly, there were lots of things to do outside, skiing, biking, walking, places to picnic. Lots of people spent their free time enjoying the great outdoors. There is also lots of fishing and hunting outside of the city, lots of hiking trails in the mountains, it really was a different life than most of the other places I have been. We made good money while working there and were able to do more things like take flight seeing tours, the train ride to denali, a sightseeing tour to see the whales and other wildlife, snow machining, etc. We went there with an attitude of this is a big adventure and we are going to make the most of it. We really enjoyed our time up there and if the work returns we will try to spend another year up there especially after dd gets a little older and can remember living there.

That sounds lovely! I'd love love to spend a year (or longer) there.

:grouphug:

I had no idea you live close to WDW. If my dc knew, they'd want to move in with you. :lol:

Yes, please move here. :grouphug:

Life is slower here, for sure. Too slow in many regards. We've gotten used to it. These days, the loneliness and isolation - the lack of like-minded friends - makes it difficult.

But the island is gorgeous and peaceful for the most part.

We'll swap. Your kids can come here while I go there. :D

I have lived about 5 or 6 blocks from the beach (on an island) for 19 years and yes it is much slower (in the off season). Crazy crowded in the summer. We do not like the tourists (shoobies) they drive like crazy, are loud and think they own the town, just too crowded. But the off season is wonderful. I have not gone to sit at the beach in the summer for years, but I do like to take walks in the winter and the sunrises over the ocean are beautiful.

The off season is so slow, only about 1/3 of the houses on my street have year round people and they have been here for a long time, like us and we are friends with them. The rest of the houses are owned as second homes /vacation homes and when the people come down, they are not here to be friends with neighbors but to have a good vacation time . We are sometimes irritated by them and can not wait until the summer is over.

:iagree:

The tourists to the Carolina beaches often seem to leave manners at home. And why oh why do people associate the beach with fireworks? Drives me nuts, especially when they leave their trash for the locals to pick up. Ugh.

That said, some of the tourists return annually and love the beach as much as I. To these folks I say "Welcome back!" They contribute mightily to the tax base. ;)

We avoid driving on change over days whenever possible.

I live at the beach. We lived 1st row for several years, which was perfect in some ways - (coffee on the deck looking at the ocean, 80 footsteps the sand, etc.) - but SO not worth it in others - (fireworks & partying vacationers for neighbors nearly year-round). We moved just under a mile away from the ocean into an actual neighborhood a couple years ago, and it's pretty nice to have a yard and permanent neighbors, yet still be able to be on the beach in 2 minutes.

I have mixed feelings about living here. On the one hand, our little town is very big on festivals, parades, concerts in the park (which is situated just 2 blocks off the ocean), etc. There's nearly always something fun and family-oriented to do - especially in the summer. Truth be told though, I have stepped on the beach exactly TWICE this summer because I just don't love the crowds. In another month I'll be on it more often.

My teenage daughters love hanging out "on the blvd." with all their friends, in the arcades, at the amusement park, on the beach meeting all the vacationing boys (eyeroll). Pool-hopping at the resorts is big here with the local kids and the hoteliers are pretty lenient about it since it's a "small town" in the off-season and pretty tightly knit - they know who to call if they have trouble with any of "our" kids, and the kids know there are "local eyeballs" everywhere.

On the OTHER hand, there IS such a transient population here during the summer that produces its own set of concerns. I am the mom who requires picture texts with virtually every move they make - (leaving the park, going to the arcade, etc.) - and they know that sometimes when I text a "where are you?", that I already know the answer because I am stealthily in close proximity ;) They just never know when or where I'll pop up. I trust them, but I'm not naive.

ALL that being said, I, personally, wish we had raised them on top of a mountain somewhere in East Tennessee. Far away from constant string bikinis and the vulgarity that is blasted from every corner beach store window. Far away from the party atmosphere that kind of clouds the family atmosphere. My husband and I have seriously considered relocating our business to the mountains and a simpler way of life, but it has taken years to build our reputation and client base. We have no savings to speak of, so it would be a huge gamble financially, AND, all our family is HERE. The girls are horrified at the mere mention of moving, although they love vacationing there. I find that area to have a much more wholesome feel to it than does the beach, and would pack up and head there TODAY if it were possible.

Not really.

I'm still pretty awed by the view as I drive down the mountain, but my trees need some serious topping to buy back the view from my house, lol.

Everything is a trade off, imo. Vacationers can be a pain, but my property offers plenty of privacy. Traffic "in town" can stink, but the drive there on country roads can be relaxing.

I don't live in a particularly touristy spot now, but I do remember it being a LOT slower paced when I lived in in San Juan Island. Bainbridge Island was pretty normal.

Right now, my mom lives in the mountains and I am strongly considering moving in for part of the year. :)

I live about 15 minutes from Destin. It's actually a very boring area (IMO). It's not relaxing, it's stressful driving around in the peak of the summer. There aren't a lot of events on the weekend and not much culture (again, IMO).

BUT, drive 30 minutes down the road and you hit 30A/St.George/Apalachicola, which are such beautiful areas, so calm and relaxing. Small, quaint little shops, slow lifestyle, off the major highway. I love going there. So I think it depends on what beach you go to and what community you visit. This area has a large military population, so that doesn't slow down life.

And, I'm not a beach person. I think as a family vacation it can be fun. But not living here year-round where all you have is the beach.

It's a beautiful natural area, but I do take the view for granted sometimes. But then there are the beautiful sunsets and the emerald water that wakes you up. Just this weekend, we drove into Destin. It was this beautiful teal blue. So pretty.

Yes, for the most part it's much slower paced here off-season. In season though, with the tourists clogging up roads and restaurants and beaches etc, it's crazy. I LOVE September when they all go home. Fortunately we know the back roads and secret beaches or I would go insane.

I love it here. I've lived the city life for many years and enjoyed it at the time, but I am in a different place now. At this point, cities are fun to visit, but I am so happy to live the quiet life!

Well, I LOVE living at the beach. We are about 1/2 mile from the sand. Yes, it can be crazy -- esp. during spring break. Also, life is hectic, and we are busy. However, it is so easy to slow down and take a breather and just enjoy. I love seeing the kids on their bikes and skateboards with their surf boards under their arms headed towards the beach or headed home after surfing. I love seeing the ocean everyday -- even if I may go weeks without actually going to the beach.

We are on a barrier island, and can often watch dolphin in the river (ICW) that runs between the mainland and the island. We enjoy watching the manatee that swim up into the canals. Things like that.

There are some minuses, too. Everything rusts/erodes faster here on the island. Traffic can be heavier during the season, etc. The rest doesn't really bother me. Of course, I could do w/o seeing some of the teeny bikinis on the not-so-teeny bodies. If it doesn't bother them, though, I try not to let it bother me.

Now, that said, I also loved living in Manhattan, and I think I would enjoy a mountain retreat as well. I think most places have plusses and minuses. If we were to move, I would hope that I could enjoy the things our new home had to offer.

:) Beachy

That sounds lovely! I'd love love to spend a year (or longer) there.

It is incredible up there, but I wouldn't want to be poor there. You have to be able to afford good transportation (4 wheel drive) if you want to travel outside of the city while you live there, good clothing (like poly long underwear, wool, good winter jackets, etc), we lived in a condo that had a snow removal service so we didn't shovel, food is more expensive (fresh but old things like fruit and veggies you paid more b/c they had to be shipped in). We had lots of things that add up that made our lives much more enjoyable while there.

Is life really better - slower, more relaxed? Or is it just a better view while doing it? Do you get to a point that you take the great view for granted?

There is a saying that everything is better at the beach. Well, people here say it anyway. But is it better at the beach cause I'm on vacation? So is it vacation or is it the beach?

We live on an island off the coast of Florida. The population triples during season when the snowbirds come down. It is definitely a resort.

Yes, life is better. After living in the midsouth my entire life, I can say that I love it here and would never want to move back. I am now outside at least 3 or 4 hours every day of my life. And at a resort town there is so much to do. Life isn't slower, but it's not more stressed either. It's just alive.

Is there someplace you are thinking of moving?

:)

I live near the mountains and life is just normal here. We have a lot of tourists (not in my town, per se, but very nearby) in both summer and winter, but more so in winter. I only notice them if I'm skiing. I do feel sorry for them....ski passes are RIDICULOUSLY expensive for tourists. They're relatively cheap for us locals, plus we usually don't have to rent equipment.

The view from my house is stunning and it never fails to take my breath away every single day, but especially in the winter. Hopefully this photo isn't HUGE, like all of mine seem to turn out on here. :D This is the view from my front porch.

ILoveUtah.jpg

Well I live on an island in the tropics that also has mountains so I get both and yes, it definitely IS amazing and no, I do NOT get sick of it or take it for granted. But my life is not slower here either. However, that could be just me because I have a high-stress job. If I didn't work things would be much slower as the culture here is a lot more relaxed.

The saying is true about everything being better at the beach. Even though my job is crazy busy, all I have to do is step outside my office, breathe the tropical ocean air, stare at the blue sky, feel the heat on my skin... And everything is wonderful again.

Seriously. Can you tell I love it here? :D

I live like many vacation getaways and I absolutely LOVE it. It is a slower lifestyle for sure filled with tranquility. My most peaceful moments are spent in my yard, walking the trails around my home or in my barn.

I grew up in a highly populated, traffic filled, neighbor so close you could hear them speak in their bedroom area. When dh and I first married, we lived in a highly populated, traffic filled neighborhood. Sirens blasted by my window practically daily, sometimes numerous times per day, waking up napping babies. I hated to spend time outside where I was surrounded by neighbors who watched me, then later told me they saw me do such and such.:glare:

I absolutely LOVE the lifestyle of living in small town NH, in a rural location with seasonal mountain views, and I feel like my lifestyle is similar to resort style living. I hated the hustle and bustle of my previous lifestyle.

I wouldn't imagine beach living would be so peaceful and relaxing with all the crowds and traffic!

We were just talking about this with some friends last night. :) At least once a week, i think about the fact that we live where people vacation and how even after 14 years, it never gets old.

We live at the base of mountains that are simply stunning and surrounded by lakes. Two ski slopes within minutes. ( We are also just a couple hours' drive from the ocean.) We have tourists all year round because of this.

It is very slow here but that's because we live in a very small town...no traffic lights, one grocery store...and because we have a purposefully laid back, old west town environment. All stores have to have an old west look to them, there are huge hanging flower baskets that line the main street, coffee shops and restaurants have outdoor seating, everything is rustic. I think that lends to a relaxed, back in time feeling, even for those of us who live here full time.

The tourists in the summer are ridiculous but our economy here is completely supported by them so we tolerate it. But we never get tired of the view. As a matter of fact, we hosted 3 soccer players last summer , two from the UK and one from Austria. They would comment all summer about how they never got tired of the view ( our house sits across from a stunning mountain view).

Edited by Debbie in OR

We live in a rural, mountain recreation/vacation destination on the West Coast. The pace is much slower here, and I never get tired of the views.

Our home is an organic farm/homestead and so we are very busy. However, I don't at all feel part of the rat race. I think this has to do with two things. One is that we are far from major centers of commerce, and thus there is little traffic and less urge towards consumerism.

And second, we rarely feel the need to leave. We live in the "vacation" spot. Snow sports in the winter, unlimited rivers, lakes, hiking, biking, climbing, rafting, in the summer. We see people here "on vacation", and we often think that their vacation is kind of our life. Of course, we work. But even our work on the farm is what some people like to do for vacation. :)

Jane in NC, I get what you are saying about not driving on change over days. That is Sats here, check out 11 am, check in 2 pm. We try not to drive during those hours especially not to try and get off the island. This past Sat, dd had to take her working papers to the local off shore mall. We waited until 3 pm to leave the island and saw that incoming traffic on both parkway and expressway was stopped so we knew not to come back home that way. We took a back way (that tourists do not know about ) and made it home with no problems.

Nono, about 2 weeks till Labor Day. I hate that we wish the summer away but summers can be a pain here.

Even tho we do live in a vacation resort town, we go to Disney every winter.

Great views, but very expensive to live here. Most folks here work in the hospitality trade (restaurant/bar/hotel) which is notorious for low wages, forcing most folks to have multiple jobs. Other wise, folks work for the government (city/county/military) or are contractors (my dh.)

Only the gvmt workers would qualify as having it "slower" since they have more regular hours. Everyone else is too busy working. Granted, when you do have time off you can fish, dive, sail in an enviable location while you dodge the tourist. :glare:

We get a lot of Snowbirds in the winter that slow us down. ;)

I remember how strange it felt when I first moved here from another climate for grad school at ASU. I was stuck practicing for five hours a day while staring out the window at palm trees everywhere as though I should be on a tropical vacation. But life goes on no matter where you live!

I grew up in a mountain town close to skiing and hiking. Of course I took it granted until I moved away.

I wouldn't do it again though because the medical care was minimal, and I saw how much my parents suffered in their declining years from lack of attention and the inability to get to specialists. The reality in a medically underserved area is that you get young primary doctors serving to get their loans paid off. As soon as they do that, they leave the area. So there was very little continuity and experience. And only a handful of specialists rotated through.

I've lived at the beach and in the mountains. For the locals, the tourist season is always a lot busier -- not at all like the vacation experience our guests have. But in the off season, we could relax some, and things were slower and nice, and still with a great view, even if not in the season the tourists were used to seeing it.

I live near the mountains and life is just normal here. We have a lot of tourists (not in my town, per se, but very nearby) in both summer and winter, but more so in winter. I only notice them if I'm skiing. I do feel sorry for them....ski passes are RIDICULOUSLY expensive for tourists. They're relatively cheap for us locals, plus we usually don't have to rent equipment.

The view from my house is stunning and it never fails to take my breath away every single day, but especially in the winter. Hopefully this photo isn't HUGE, like all of mine seem to turn out on here. :D This is the view from my front porch.

ILoveUtah.jpg

BEAUTIFUL!!!

I grew up in a mountain town close to skiing and hiking. Of course I took it granted until I moved away.

I wouldn't do it again though because the medical care was minimal, and I saw how much my parents suffered in their declining years from lack of attention and the inability to get to specialists. The reality in a medically underserved area is that you get young primary doctors serving to get their loans paid off. As soon as they do that, they leave the area. So there was very little continuity and experience. And only a handful of specialists rotated through.

That must be VERY rural. I couldn't live like that!

We vacationed in Va years back. We had a nice house on a beautiful, large river, in the mountains. While I really loved it, it took FOREVER to get to the local grocery store. I was shocked at the miniscule amount of fresh produce, and horrified at the lose romaine lettuce leaves sitting on ice covered with flies.

I love rural living, but I also need to be close enough to convenience. I cqn't drive an hour to get to a store, and I refuse to ever again live in a densely populated area with tons of traffic.

That must be VERY rural. I couldn't live like that!

We vacationed in Va years back. We had a nice house on a beautiful, large river, in the mountains. While I really loved it, it took FOREVER to get to the local grocery store. I was shocked at the miniscule amount of fresh produce, and horrified at the lose romaine lettuce leaves sitting on ice covered with flies.

I love rural living, but I also need to be close enough to convenience. I cqn't drive an hour to get to a store, and I refuse to ever again live in a densely populated area with tons of traffic.

I've lived in a remote mountain town, an urban college town, a rural college town, an urban area in a high-rise, suburbs, and a semi-rural area close to conveniences. The latter is my preference. I don't want to go any further out or any closer in.

I'm just a few minutes from Disney World.

It's a mixed bag....

I was afraid to live here b/c I thought the vibe would be weird raising the kids in a "resort town".... turns out, it's pretty normal. For many our neighbors, this is their 2nd home- so it can get a little quiet on our end of the neighborhood when they are all at their other homes up north.

Our community events are usually bombarded by tourists- not a huge deal but not ideal either.

Traffic is CONSTANT - not a traditional "rush hour" but I guess has more to do with park openings/closings.

Being at DisneyWorld in 10-15 minutes or SeaWorld in 20 is pretty cool....

Grocery shopping with tourists is downright annoying. Imagine rushing through the grocery store with a store full of people bumbling around b/c they have no clue where anything is at and are in no particular rush b/c they are on VACATION..... :glare:

All in all, this is an awesome experience, but I don't know that I want to live here FOREVER!

P.S. I do find the "pace" to be slower than up North - but the congestion can be crazy at times.

I live in a small mountain town (16000 population) in Colorado that is a serious tourist hotspot. It is very laid back but I wouldn't say slow. It actually frustrates me because people don't care about normal things (like wearing shorts and a tshirt to a wedding.) It is too darn expensive to live here for sure! But you can't beat the view. I do get fairly jaded though and take it for granted. I'm sick of dodging all the deer and elk. I'm also sick of having only one store to shop (Wal-Mart.) I'm only here because I grew up here. In addition to the view, one big positive is a very low crime rate.

We live on Oahu in Hawaii. I love the beach and the views. The weather pretty much never changes and I think I have become a bit complacent. Not in a good way. I think there is part of my soul that needs to feel a crispness in the air and chop firewood. I can't imagine retiring here.

So, I'm thinking after reading these posts, we need to organize a homeschool family house-swap. Mountains for beach anyone? Rural farm for big city? West for East? We'd love to take our family to the East Coast sometime....Boston, New York, DC, Philedelphia....

:)

Well, if anyone is in the mood to see SE Asia and experience life on a tropical island, I am in! :D

I grew up in FL on the beach and went to college in Orange County, CA. Life was crazy and fast and the tourists made it hectic and things felt so...crass, maybe? I loved the beauty and peace of the beach, which is still my favorite place, but I rarely got to experience it without all the madness.

Now I live in rural KY which is decidedly not a tourist destination, but it is so much slower. I love it. People talk. No one freaks out. People know people and generally accept them - my neighbors are my best friends, evangelical, Christian conservative homeschoolers; a water tower repair man who thinks he knows everything; a drug dealer who repairs cars; and a horse farm hobby owner who teaches public school. They all have livestock and most grow tobacco. They help each other out and even tolerate us - the homeschooling, hippie-ish, liberal, evangelical homesteaders who do what? Grow things without chemicals? How insane!

:lol: Anyway. I think relaxed has more to do with rural than vacation spot. I think an on-season vacation spot would be stressful to live in.

Well, I don't live by the beach or in the mountains, but I do live in the bright lights and big city of fabulous LAS VEGAS!

Growing up, people from other places thought we lived in hotels and all our parents were dealers. My momma's a nurse. My dad's a minister. :)

I never, ever go to the strip. Well, we go the back way to Mandalay Bay to go to the aquarium, but that doesn't count.

I've seen one show in 10 years. I don't gamble. I don't have fake body parts or work in a club. I've never even been to a fancy downtown club. I'm not pay $350 minimum for table service. Ugh.

Life is slow and quiet in our part of town.

I do like that everything is open 24 hours. It's very convienent.

If I had to choose to live in a destination city, this is a good one. It's spread out enough to accomodate everyone. And it's nice to play tourist when friends come to town.

Yes, it's better, slower and more relaxed. :001_smile:

But when our kids were young we left to a more conservative town. I have no regrets about it but I look forward to when we can go home. Our families are still there and it's very close to us, so it's fine.

It's where I plan to get old (I mean old old :001_smile:).

For now it's too expensive to own a big house there and my kids would have grown up like wild hippies (more like how I was raised), and to be honest, I want more for them. I'm a free spirit to a fault. While the town produces lots of successful people, there's also an element of... so cozy in a small isolated nook, it can be hard to stay highly motivated.

Edited by helena