Menu

Honey Boo Boo Review

A very thoughtful review, to my surprise. He finds them witty and lyrical and seems to really like the family. Interesting view point.

:iagree: I won't be watching it. Ever. But an interesting read.

The comments are cracking me up. Remember when TLC was the learning channel, A&E was arts and entertainment, MTV was music, the Weather Channel was weather, History Channel was history...

A very thoughtful review, to my surprise. He finds them witty and lyrical and seems to really like the family. Interesting view point.

Thoughtful is such a good word for this review. I particularly like this comment:

But you can also see something kind of remarkable in it: a little country girl, whatever confusion and misinformation she has in her mind, fervently arguing a teacup pig’s right to determine its own sexual identity

Full episodes are online! Hive forgive me for what I'm about to do . . .

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/here-comes-honey-boo-boo/videos/this-is-my-crazy-family.htm

Oh my word. I think I might have to watch the first episode. The thing that intrigues me is how they are just happy with their life and really don't care what anyone thinks.

But wow. :001_huh:

My daughter and I watched it. I actually thought the family was endearing. Sure, they aren't refined, but they aren't dysfunctional in my book. They appear to be decent parents and aren't angry, bitter people. Pageants and redneck games aren't my lifestyle at all, but I can't knock them because they seem genuinely happy with their life and really not bothered by how others may judge them.

I'm more bothered that some people are so hateful towards these people. You may not agree with their decisions or their choice of entertainment, but all the hate is unnecessary. A lot of the negative comments I read were from people who live in GA or the south, and are worried that the show enforces stereotypes.

I just moved from a tiny village that had its own non-mainstream culture, so maybe I've had more practice at a live-and-let-live philosophy. These people are at least loving and caring for their kids, and they'll be fine.

Seriously, they seem like good natured people from the clips I've seen. They aren't yelling at each other, stabbing each other in the back, or making a bunch of drama out of nothing. Honestly, I'd rather see this than The Hills or Jersey Shore. :p

:iagree: I won't be watching it. Ever. But an interesting read.

The comments are cracking me up. Remember when TLC was the learning channel, A&E was arts and entertainment, MTV was music, the Weather Channel was weather, History Channel was history...

Ahhh, the good ol' days....

Well, I watched it.

I understand what you all are saying about the family being close-knit, self-confident, and supportive of each other. I agree, that's a very good thing.

But...

but...

but...

throwing my hands up. Too many butts. I guess I just want to check in as having watched the first episode. LOL

You missed a 't' there, but I fixed it for ya. :D You're welcome.

Honestly? I couldn't even stand to hear the previews of that show. I would mute it if I was watching What Not to Wear or whatever other brainless show. I didn't even know they were from Georgia, but I said, "I cannot stand to see that Georgia redneck stereotype being held up for public ridicule." If I was from Georgia, I would be very annoyed that they put up shows like this.

(is it terrible that I thought the mom would be more fun to hang out with than most women I know? :blink::blushing:)

I did find myself really liking June! The way she held Glitzy was sweet. Never saw that before. And did Boo Boo say he was a gay pig because she was going to dress him like a girl? lol A lot of straight pigs cross-dress. Someone should tell her. ;)

I won't click the link.

I won't click the link.

I won't click the link.

I won't click the link.

I won't click the link.

It's not so bad. That family gets it...all the way to the bank.

The one girl they call "Chubby" or "Cubby"? She looks like she is their challenging child. lol

Oh, and they are not hsers. In the 1st episode she says it's summer so they are not in school. They all like to sleep in. Larks will be offended. ;)

Alright, I have to admit I laughed when she introduced her sisters as "___ the craziest, ____ the pregnantiest"... :leaving:

LOL Yes! Thatt's it! I knew it was funnier than what I wrote.

I know, I know, a pregnant 17 year old. But that's not the first time in history such things have happened. :tongue_smilie:

Thoughtful is such a good word for this review. I particularly like this comment:

But you can also see something kind of remarkable in it: a little country girl, whatever confusion and misinformation she has in her mind, fervently arguing a teacup pig’s right to determine its own sexual identity.

:iagree::iagree:

But you can also see something kind of remarkable in it: a little country girl, whatever confusion and misinformation she has in her mind, fervently arguing a teacup pig’s right to determine its own sexual identity.

:iagree::iagree:

LOL We don't know that Glitzy is Gay. We only know she want him to be gay. He could be a perfectly straight cross-dresser.

Edited by LibraryLover

Okay. I jsut watched it with my husband and a couple of my kids and their friends. We all liked it!!! They are hilarious. And, real. I think the way they've edited it makes them look so much worse than they actually are. But, they certainly seem to love each other.

Yeah, I didn't get the point of the sneezing, for instance. My sneezes cause fault line tremors, no matter how hard I try to be quiet. Thankfully, I don't have allergies. ;)

I wish my dad had brought me home a teacup pig when I lost a glitz pagent.

Oh, that's right, I never did a glitz pagent. Pity, as I am sure my dad would have thought a pig just the thing to set my world right again.

(Glitzy in the pack & play. That could get messy, no? That had me a little worried.)

Edited by LibraryLover

Honestly? I couldn't even stand to hear the previews of that show. I would mute it if I was watching What Not to Wear or whatever other brainless show. I didn't even know they were from Georgia, but I said, "I cannot stand to see that Georgia redneck stereotype being held up for public ridicule." If I was from Georgia, I would be very annoyed that they put up shows like this.

My dh is from Georgia! :D

I actually recorded it on my DVR, but could not bring myself to watch it. Like it was stated above, I skipped the commercials about it. Maybe it was just the title that got me....

I watched the little girl on toddler and tiaras, and she kinda drove me crazy. Just my opinion, not that it matters ;)

Edited by mommyof4AZ

My review:

1. It's NOT as horrifying as The Wild Wonderful Whites of West Virginia.

2. They are definitely uncouth, but they weren't nearly as annoying as the incessant repeating of scenes (and that's not on them). I HATE when film makers keep recycling 20 minutes of footage to fill a 40 minute program.

3. I like that they care about each other and aren't criminals, but I'm not sure I'll watch it again unless you guys tell me I have to. :D

They crack me up. It's really a train wreck.

I'm embarrassed about how much I like reality tv.

My soul sister.

I like reality TV too!

Yes, it is a total train wreck. I just caught it late tonight for the first time, while doing laundry. The Mom is only 32???? I guessed her at about 50. How old is the pregnant daughter?

I think it is really sad that even the little one is overweight. I hope they are able to lose the weight so they get healthier.

ondreeuh: My daughter and I watched it. I actually thought the family was endearing. Sure, they aren't refined, but they aren't dysfunctional in my book. They appear to be decent parents and aren't angry, bitter people.

I agree! They will always be there for each other, and they laugh a lot.

• 2 weeks later...