Menu

We're so excited ...

... we're off to see the athletics tomorrow at the Olympic games. We have to be up at 4.30 am to catch a train from York at 6 am. The games are 10 am to 2 pm, then we'll 'do' a bit of London. The boys are besides themselves with excitement. I would usually rather watch paint dry than watch athletics, but even I'm excited. We won't get back here until midnight; DH keeps going on about how exhausted we're going to be next week, you'd think he was competing, not watching :D.

I went to Olympic soccer when the Games were in Atlanta in 1996. I think it was Germany and South Korea; anyway, teams I wasn't interested in. But I LOVED being part of the Olympic crowd! It was a lot of fun.

Your post brings me to another point, one that I've wondered for days now. What exactly is athletics, in the Olympic sense? I saw that listed as the sport of many flag bearers last Friday. I'm guessing something in the track and field venue, but that is only a guess.

Have a great time!

That sounds exciting! :001_smile:

DH keeps going on about how exhausted we're going to be next week, you'd think he was competing, not watching :D.

:lol::lol::lol:

The only thing I'm worried about is one of the children getting lost (especially my flaky 11 yo) :tongue_smilie:.

I have a friend who homeschools 5 children. She has matching loud color t-shirts that she dresses them in when they go out to large venues. They have loud orange, loud green, and loud yellow. If you pick a particularly unpopular color and they are all wearing it, they are easy to spot if they wander off!

... we're off to see the athletics tomorrow at the Olympic games. We have to be up at 4.30 am to catch a train from York at 6 am. The games are 10 am to 2 pm, then we'll 'do' a bit of London. The boys are besides themselves with excitement. I would usually rather watch paint dry than watch athletics, but even I'm excited. We won't get back here until midnight; DH keeps going on about how exhausted we're going to be next week, you'd think he was competing, not watching :D.

Wow! That is exciting! Have a wonderful time and post some pics if you can. I know I'd love to see them. :)

We went to track and field in 1996 in Atlanta. There was a mistake with the seat numbers and there was not seat with one of our seat numbers so funny! The Olympics are amazing and am so happy we went to every event we could. My favorite was water polo that started at 10:30pm. We sat right in front of friends from college (small world)

You will make amazing memories!!

Many thanks for all the well wishes. We had a wonderful day! Four hours were a long time to sit in the Olympic Stadium, and at first both DH and I commented on how it was like being at a school's sports day, but in no time at all we were completely carried along by the enthusiasm of the crowd and loved every minute. DS5 struggled a bit as he didn't always appreciate what was going on.

The Olympic Stadium was amazing, with 70,000 people there, and yet it felt quite intimate and friendly. The whole event was very well organised, with lots and lots of very friendly, helpful staff, many of whom were volunteers. London itself had a real party atmosphere, with everyone unbelievably friendly and in a mood for fun.

We saw quite a few Americans, including one family who were all dressed in different outfits all representing stars and stripes. We didn't manage to get ourselves organised enough to wear matching tops, and no-one got lost, although I did seem to spend a lot of the day saying "T hold Daddy's hand, L hold my hand, A stay with us, C don't run off ..." :lol:, which was a bit boring. We did see an Irish family all wearing the biggest, brightest emerald green T-shirts, with big shamrocks on the front, I wished we'd been able to do something similar.

Here are some photos of us approaching the Stadium, and again inside:

Thanks for posting the pics. Glad you had a great time.

What events did you get to see?

We saw part of the ladies heptathlon, with our own, much adored, Jessica Ennis, which was fabulous. Also, the ladies pole vault, steeple chase, mens 100m (the boys were thrilled to see Usain Bolt) and mens 400m (we were very impressed by the American runners). I think that was it, there was so much going on, and I wasn't sure which events were included in the heptathlon (I'm not a sports fan, at all) - I think it was just the long jump and javelin. The evening events were more exciting from the point of view of the heptathlon, but we only saw the morning events.

We saw part of the ladies heptathlon, with our own, much adored, Jessica Ennis, which was fabulous. Also, the ladies pole vault, steeple chase, mens 100m (the boys were thrilled to see Usain Bolt) and mens 400m (we were very impressed by the American runners). I think that was it, there was so much going on, and I wasn't sure which events were included in the heptathlon (I'm not a sports fan, at all) - I think it was just the long jump and javelin. The evening events were more exciting from the point of view of the heptathlon, but we only saw the morning events.

I was so happy to see your Jessica Ennis win the heptathlon for GB!

Thanks for sharing the pictures. It all sounds so exciting and you'll have memories to last a lifetime!

Many thanks for all the well wishes. We had a wonderful day! Four hours were a long time to sit in the Olympic Stadium, and at first both DH and I commented on how it was like being at a school's sports day, but in no time at all we were completely carried along by the enthusiasm of the crowd and loved every minute. DS5 struggled a bit as he didn't always appreciate what was going on.

The Olympic Stadium was amazing, with 70,000 people there, and yet it felt quite intimate and friendly. The whole event was very well organised, with lots and lots of very friendly, helpful staff, many of whom were volunteers. London itself had a real party atmosphere, with everyone unbelievably friendly and in a mood for fun.

We saw quite a few Americans, including one family who were all dressed in different outfits all representing stars and stripes. We didn't manage to get ourselves organised enough to wear matching tops, and no-one got lost, although I did seem to spend a lot of the day saying "T hold Daddy's hand, L hold my hand, A stay with us, C don't run off ..." :lol:, which was a bit boring. We did see an Irish family all wearing the biggest, brightest emerald green T-shirts, with big shamrocks on the front, I wished we'd been able to do something similar.

Here are some photos of us approaching the Stadium, and again inside:

[ATTACH]9785[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9786[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9787[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9788[/ATTACH]

Yay!!! :hurray: It looks like you had a wonderful time. I'm so happy for you that you were able to be a part of this experience! :) I was thinking of you yesterday when I was watching the track and field and have been stalking this thread for an update! Thanks for posting up the pics. You have a beautiful family. I'm so glad you all were able to take part in it. What braggin rights your kids are going to have! :D hehe