Menu

NBC Olympics coverage rant!

It's a highlights show though. They cannot possibly show everything in the evening. As far as I know you can go online and select individual events and watch them.

Unfortunately you can't really search for video without spoilers on their website.

If I look at a listing of video's they have little medals next to the listings.

Unfortunately you can't really search for video without spoilers on their website.

If I look at a listing of video's they have little medals next to the listings.

Also, NBC's video streaming is only available to pay TV customers. They also distribute most of the TV coverage across cable channels. We don't have cable or satellite. We use our own dish connected to a media center PC with a TV card.

Considering that NBC is owned by Comcast, I'm not surprised.

Okay, here in Canada Olympic coverage has always consumed the channel that carried it for 2 weeks. It was all the channel showed except for news breaks. We also got to see a LOT of sports where Canadians weren't factors (We just aren't huge players in the summer olympics) and so got to see a lot of great stories and performances from athletes from different nations.

It shocked me when I learned that's not the kind of coverage Americans get.

OK, I agree with a great many comments in this thread but I am also a little perplexed. I have NBC on all day and I have seen a wide variety of sports. They go to the Olympics at 9 am here, after the Today show. Then they only interrupt coverage for the midday and evening news. It is also my understanding that there is coverage on other channels but I have not gone in search of them.

Now, that said, I am also disappointed in their focus on only a handful of sports in prime time and their apparent belief that we are not interested in any but American athletes. I remember watching gymnastics as a girl and seeing so many athletes from different countries. And personally, I love the personal profiles but I like to hear them about a wide variety of athletes, representing different sports and different countries.

I agree that the commentary stinks. They think we are nitwits, apparently, and gave up trying to educate us about sports and scores. I will look into BBC coverage. Thanks for the info about how to access that!

Do we really need to see every one of Kerry Walsh and Misty May's matches? Really? I am glad that it is cold in London so we don't need to see so much "cheek" hanging out:).

Stepping off my soapbox for a while.

Regarding the attire of the beach volleyball team, someone told me that they changed the official dress code. They had to cover more.

Bad enough that NBC has rotten coverage, double bad that no other station can carry the Olympics. This should be looked at carefully before the next winter Ompics in Russia.

BTW, we watch it over certain channels online. Dh rigs up some cable so we can see it on the TV monitor but it streams from the internet.

I think justinTV is one of them. Also, someone mentioned a software called "Tunnel Bear" that lets you watch the original BBC coverage.

I agree. I'm not at all thrilled with the Olympic coverage. My 5 year old waited all day to watch gymnastics and it came on after 10 pm. Why do they keep showing men's pommel horse? It is not one of the most exciting men's events. What about the thousands of other sports that are happening? Maybe they could use some of the time they use talking about pinkeye and making fun of the parents to show and teach us about some of the more unusual sports. I'm sick of swimming already.

How are you watching it online? With Tunnelbear and BBC?

If you have one of the cable/satellite services that carries NBC, you can log on and watch all the sports, both live and in replays, at nbcolympics.com. We have DISH Network, so I had a password that I could use to log in and watch.

I think it stinks that NBC isn't required to provide a free-to-everyone way to do this — especially for the sports that they choose not to cover. Most people would still watch the main TV programming anyway, NBC could still reap teh megabucks from advertising, etc. It seems like the "rights to broadcast the Olympics" really = the right to exclude most of the country from watching anything but what NBC chooses to package. :glare:

Jackie

I've been very frustrated with the coverage the past couple of go-arounds. It's not just the focus on Americans; it's the focus on two or three people in the event, period. There's no real drama. It's "Here are the people who won, and here are the last five minutes of their doing it." I had to look up the story on the internet to find out how dramatic the men's gymnastics individual finals actually were. Maybe I have rose-colored glasses, but it seems like they did a better job even back in the olden days when they only had one channel and no internet.

I really wanted to see that "old" Bulgarian guy compete in gymnastics.

I've been very frustrated with the coverage the past couple of go-arounds. It's not just the focus on Americans; it's the focus on two or three people in the event, period. There's no real drama. It's "Here are the people who won, and here are the last five minutes of their doing it." I had to look up the story on the internet to find out how dramatic the men's gymnastics individual finals actually were. Maybe I have rose-colored glasses, but it seems like they did a better job even back in the olden days when they only had one channel and no internet.

I really wanted to see that "old" Bulgarian guy compete in gymnastics.

:iagree: 100% and have been voicing my opinion (which my family calls complaining) every chance I get!

I will say I find the CTV coverage a little more cheesy then CBC (who will get the next two games) but I'll still take that over NBC coverage.

They will? Did not know that! That will make many people in the northern US very happy, I think.

Our local news people have done a really good job following regional athletes. There's one guy in particular who has covered local hopefuls through their training and the trials, and he's in London now, talking to the athletes (even if they don't win lots of medals...go figure). It's still more about personal stories than the specifics of the athletics, but at least they're acknowledging the accomplishments of people from less well known sports.

They don't even bother to talk about most of the non-American athletes, and they never show the medal ceremonies.

My favorites are when they actually show a medal ceremony without telling you what event and who the athletes are. I too am disgusted with this horrible coverage.

we finally found a way to download the bbc coverage, thanks to ibbygirl, and it is wonderful. they do interview the british team members, but also other athletes. we are several days behind, so we watched the first day of diving yesterday, and they showed every dive for all of the competitors. and were excited for the american divers and how well they did.

all of which is to say that it doesn't need to be the way NBC makes it. at all.

fwiw,

ann

If you have one of the cable/satellite services that carries NBC, you can log on and watch all the sports, both live and in replays, at nbcolympics.com. We have DISH Network, so I had a password that I could use to log in and watch.

Jackie

DO you have to have internet through satellite to do this?

They will? Did not know that! That will make many people in the northern US very happy, I think.

It was just announced in the last few days. It made me happy too - I MUCH prefer CBC coverage. Nothing like Ron MacLean and Don Cherry covering Olympic hockey. :D

I just got tunnelbear! I watched some women's archery with dd. She was thrilled.

We were watching individuals as Mexico was up against Italy, and I asked dd who she wanted to win. She thought about it for a minute and decided that she wanted Mexico to take it because she likes their food better.:lol: Well now, there's a way to pick your favorites.

ETA: Thank you all for the tunnelbear info! Dh is always amazed about the stuff I pick up here ;)

DO you have to have internet through satellite to do this?

No, we just have a regular DSL line through the phone company. The internet provider doesn't matter, as long as you have a cable or satellite provider than carries NBC. If so, then you can go to nbcolympics.com and there should be a banner or button for watching it live. If you click it, the first step is selecting your provider, then if you don't already have an account with them, it will walk you through the steps of setting up an account & password. Once you have your password, you can log in and watch all the events live or on replay.

Jackie

Question for those who use tunnelbear — does this let you watch all BBC programming? E.g., if we got this, then we could watch BBC1, BBC2, etc., anytime we want? :bigear: If that's true, my British DH will be thrilled beyond words!

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

Question for those who use tunnelbear — does this let you watch all BBC programming? E.g., if we got this, then we could watch BBC1, BBC2, etc., anytime we want? :bigear: If that's true, my British DS will be thrilled beyond words!

Jackie

Older dd said she checked to see if she can watch Dr. Who when it starts back up, and claims it's going to work. Well, except for the part where I was only planning to pay for 1 month for the Olympics, and the new season starts next month. Also, this confirmation is coming from a 16yo who really really really wants this to be true, whether it is or not.

Well, my rant is this: Aren't there ANY OTHER SPORTS in the Olympics besides swimming, volleyball and gymnastics? If so, I'd like to see them!

Basketball. They have played basketball for HOURS during their daytime coverage.

If you have a Roku, you could try some of the private channels. I've just added Mummybox and BBC World News. I do see that the BBC channel is providing coverage right now, but I don't know how good it is yet. This page gives the codes to enter at the Roku site.

This is awesome! Thank you. I just added it and we'll see what the coverage is like.

Also, NBC's video streaming is only available to pay TV customers. They also distribute most of the TV coverage across cable channels. We don't have cable or satellite. We use our own dish connected to a media center PC with a TV card.

Considering that NBC is owned by Comcast, I'm not surprised.

I think it stinks that NBC isn't required to provide a free-to-everyone way to do this — especially for the sports that they choose not to cover. Most people would still watch the main TV programming anyway, NBC could still reap teh megabucks from advertising, etc. It seems like the "rights to broadcast the Olympics" really = the right to exclude most of the country from watching anything but what NBC chooses to package. :glare:

Jackie

:iagree:

I agree that it makes no sense to not provide for free what they are showing for free.

I hate comcast anyway!! Hate, hate them but can't quite cancel yet because they won't let me just have basic cable and keep my DVR. I really like the DVR especially so we can skip commercials with the kids.

We've been watching the BBC after downloading UnblockUS on Tues pm. Sheer bliss. Every shot of the archery! And the trap shooting! Every competitor in the swimming. No fake drama/tragedy/mindlessly ignorant commentary/personal commments/baby pictures. No ads. Lovely.

I agree with so many comments I won't bother to gather them all, just imagine I quoted most of you with a little agree sign!

We wondered if rings got dropped out somehow, but finally saw a bit of rings in the background. I promised to find some video so the kids could watch some rings.

Also, while they at least mentioned it, couldn't you have shown 10 seconds of the first ever American to win an Olympic gold in judo? A minute or two would have been even better, but really, find a nice throw and show us 10 seconds, how hard can it be? It's not like she wasn't expected to place, so they have no excuse.

Edited by ElizabethB

I've been on vacation in the US for the past 5 days and having to suffer with NBC's coverage of the Olympics. I agree with everything said. It totally stinks! You poor, poor people. Now I'm back in Canada and can watch some really fun and interesting coverage of the games! Come on up north y'all!! :001_smile: Or see if you can somehow link into CTV Olympic coverage on-line. They know athletes' names, training programs from other countries, and they show lots of different sports.

It was just announced in the last few days. It made me happy too - I MUCH prefer CBC coverage. Nothing like Ron MacLean and Don Cherry covering Olympic hockey. :D

You're confusing me altogether. CBC doesn't cover the Olympic games - CTV does and has done for years and years. They hire announcers from other stations for specific sports, such as ice hockey.

Preach it woman!!!!!!!

I told dh that since the winter games are more important to me than the summer games, that we are taking a vacation out of the country during that time so I can do nothing but sit in a hotel and watch the games from a Canadien, GB, or other perspective. I'm DONE with NBC.

ETA: This is free, BTW:

You don't have to leave the country:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407823,00.asp

Only drawback we've found is that our netflix account now thinks we're in the UK. We lost our instant queue and some movies are not available. OTOH, there are some movies available that we couldn't get before, and they're better movies than the ones we lost.

Oh, and you might want to put Adblocker on your computer if you do Expat. Even if you tell Expat to can the ads, they still show up and they're really annoying. Adblocker seems to get rid of them. And has the added benefit of blocking all ads on Pandora. At least, I think that's why I'm suddenly not getting ads on Pandora.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

We just have plain old internet. We have to watch on our computer (although I suspect there are ways to hook up a computer to a TV, but our TVs are seriously too old for that kind of thing). We have no cable.

We can watch the BBC Olympics coverage live. We can watch what we missed. We can back up. They have nice labels on the stream so we know where to skip to in the 6 hours of coverage that many events have. We can get up at 4 AM and watch whatever's on. It's rather dangerous.

And, yes, we can watch BBC TV as well. The only thing we can't watch is what's showing live right now (other than the Olympics). Something pops up and tells us we need a TV license for that, which I assume we don't have. They put a lot of the shows into iPlayer after they're broadcast and we can watch those.

I have so had it with US TV. Even PBS is mostly not worth watching these days. The only thing I watch on TV anymore is reruns of the original Batman (which are so much better than the movies that it's not even funny).

Edited by flyingiguana

You're confusing me altogether. CBC doesn't cover the Olympic games - CTV does and has done for years and years. They hire announcers from other stations for specific sports, such as ice hockey.

When I lived in BC the Olympic coverage was broadcast on CBC. That was 1999-2007.

When I lived in BC the Olympic coverage was broadcast on CBC. That was 1999-2007.

Pretty sure it's been CTV since 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary at least. Now, CBC may be showing some highlights of certain events, but the major coverage has always been CTV. CBC does Hockey Night in Canada, but not the Olympics.

Checking good ol' Wiki, Radio Canada (CBC French language) does offer some coverage of the games. CTV has 80% of the 200+ hours of coverage of the 2012 games.

Edited by wintermom

Pretty sure it's been CTV since 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary at least. Now, CBC may be showing some highlights of certain events, but the major coverage has always been CTV. CBC does Hockey Night in Canada, but not the Olympics.

Checking good ol' Wiki, Radio Canada (CBC French language) does offer some coverage of the games. CTV has 80% of the 200+ hours of coverage of the 2012 games.

From this site - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada's_Olympic_Broadcast_Media_Consortium:

CTV has previously broadcast the Summer Games in 1976 (along with CBC) 1992 and the Winter Games in 1964, 1968, 1972, 1976, 1980, 1988, and 1994

CBC covered (exclusively) all other Olympic games.

Edited by WishboneDawn

Yes, I was pretty sure because we got terrible CBC reception and I always found it annoying.

You're right. For some strange reason I just hadn't noticed I was watching CBC Olympic coverage in the early 2000s. Perhaps I was distracted by lots of little kids? :001_smile: In the 90s I was either living in Norway or in Canada but without a TV. Very strange - I was so sure I'd been watching CTV the entire time.

You're right. For some strange reason I just hadn't noticed I was watching CBC Olympic coverage in the early 2000s. Perhaps I was distracted by lots of little kids? :001_smile: In the 90s I was either living in Norway or in Canada but without a TV. Very strange - I was so sure I'd been watching CTV the entire time.

I completely understand! My kids are around your kid's ages and the only reason I remembered was the reception.:001_smile:

I've watched a grand total of maybe 45 minutes of the Olymics, mostly at the gym. We don't have cable, and my DH has been working overtime and hasn't been able to help me patch through to BBC.

We use our own dish connected to a media center PC with a TV card.

Wait, do you mind explaining that sentence a bit more? We still have our Dish from when we had Dish Network, still hanging out on the side of our house. Could we do something with that??

I had to look up the story on the internet to find out how dramatic the men's gymnastics individual finals actually were.

There were dramatics? Linkie? Or keywords to search for?

I've seen a few minutes of kayaking or canoing slaloms at the gym and Midas, and a couple gymnastics routines on Youtube. That's it. I like the gymnastics, diving, synchronized swimming... you know, the artsy-fartsy sports! :lol: But I guess not enough to do the legwork to see them...

My son is very upset he hasn't seen any men's gymnastics.

And all the good stuff is on at like 11:30 at night. What kid is watching that??

That's what upsets me the most. How are the kids suppose to be inspired if so much goes until 12? I am letting mine stay up a little later but if they stay up late every night we will not be a happy house! They are really upset about missing the gymnastics.

And, yes, we can watch BBC TV as well. The only thing we can't watch is what's showing live right now (other than the Olympics). Something pops up and tells us we need a TV license for that, which I assume we don't have.

It supports the BBC, which runs without advertisements. It costs £145 per year.

Laura

It supports the BBC, which runs without advertisements. It costs £145 per year.

Laura

I figured as much.

Here in the US, people are willing to pay more than that for cable, but I'm not convinced the quality of programming is as good. Except maybe for the BBC America channel.

I have seen some folks on the web in the US talking about how they ought to take up a collection for the BBC, because there are so many people in the US watching the Olympics on their site. And appreciating it so much. It's too bad the BBC can't put a little donate button on their site, but I imagine NBC would see that as encroaching on their monopoly. If they could do it, though, I imagine they'd actually get a fair number of donations.

The last couple Olympics, I knew a number of people who signed up for cable for a month, just to get the coverage. I'm hearing of no one IRL who is doing that now. Mostly I'm just hearing complaints about the coverage, cable or broadcast.

Just seeing this thread. Thank you, OP! It's the worst coverage I've ever seen. Spoilers (the Today show spot telling Missy Franklin won gold that aired right before the race), only showing a few gymnasts yet showing that sport more than others (the women's have their own theme song), not showing scores, the list goes on.

Awful!

We've been flipping back and forth between NBC and CTV (Canadian station), and I was SHOCKED and delighted to see NBC show an event that didn't have a single American in it! The announcer even talked about the athletes competing in the event. I was so amazed I forget which event it was.

Way to go NBC! You CAN be more international focused and show more obscure events.

I was delighted to see a profile of Shelly Ann Fraser Price, the sprinter from Jamaica, and an interview after the run with Oscar Pistorius, the S. African sprinter, but the talk and camera work before the race that kept going on and on about his prosthetic legs was, I think, way over the top and got to be offensive.