Menu

is it crazy to only have two bathrooms...

not quoting right now due to time constraints' date=' but someone mentioned toileting while someone else is showering. no go for me. kids prob wouldn't mind but my husband has never seen me pee and i don't plan on starting now. yes, he was present for all three births. peeing? no way. more than peeing? i'd rather die. [/quote']

Buuuuttttt, you said you were going to grow old with him in that house...he may see you doing your business sooner or later; in fact, he may have to help you!....:lol:

Seriously now, though, what you mentioned is why I mentioned having a non-see-through shower curtain.

Really, I'm not trying to convince you of anything - just demonstrating ways people can get along with less.

Have fun deciding and planning!! :D

but the downstairs being a full is a must for me. so the question is upstairs: one bath for everyone to share or one for the kids and one for the master.

Given this' date=' I'd just go for the everyone-sharing-one-bathroom-upstairs option. Again, cheaper, less cleaning to do. But that's how I think.

I was posting just to be funny!

I know, and I thought it was hilarious!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up in a house with 6 people and 1 bathroom.

I currently live in a house with 6 people, 1-3/4 bath (full bath minus shower), and a basement with a block shower and a toilet. Kids are generally not allowed to use the basement toilet because they don't hold the handle down long enough.

Every bedroom had a mirror and we often did showers the night before, so its never been much of a problem (even with 2 teenage girls). People survive and adapt. ;)

ok' date=' here's the deal:

downstairs will be a full bath. the school room is downstairs but could *someday* be a bedroom if our old selves don't wanna go upstairs. they are not connected as in a "suite". it's just a full size downstairs hall bath that's actually just a half-bath on the plans - we're increasing it's size to make it a full bath for our elderly future :001_smile:.

upstairs is four bedrooms. the plans call for a master suite and a hall bath to be shared by other bedroom inhabitants.

to me, it feels like wasted space to have that many bathrooms. the downstairs bath is not negotiable. i want it to be a full bath. it's the upstairs that's in question. i don't feel a need to have a separate bathroom from my children. but moreso, i want to increase the size of my master bedroom. i'd rather share a bathroom than bump my toes on my bedroom furniture.

we're trying to be as minimal with our space requirement as possible - enough to be comfortable and hold our stuff but not wasted rooms that are only used on occasion.

any other advice would be greatly appreciated (as in "i wouldn't eliminate a bathroom, i'd ________")[/quote']

Frankly, if you're building, if *that* is what we're talking about, then it's a different ball of wax. ;)

Yes, I'd make a full bathroom upstairs and a full down. *But* I wouldn't connect it to the master. I'd use it as a full bath. Just my .02. (And if I were building I'd put the laundry room upstairs next to the bathroom too since plumbing will be upstairs, but that's just me. I've had a laundry in the basement, in the upstairs, and on the main. I prefer it upstairs. It's SO pleasant! (Unless you live in a place where you regularly hang out laundry. Then veto that.)

I have a family of four, with a teen and a pre-teen, and it would be crazy for us to have more than *one* bathroom. We wouldn't want the extra work of cleaning and maintaining another one. It's easy for us to share the one bathroom.

:iagree:

We have three. One never gets used and I often wish we only had one. The only time two or three comes in handy is with a house full of visitors.

No, I think 2 sounds fine.

I grew up in a house with 3 people and 3 bathrooms. :D :lol: Two of them, the shower/tub was never used.

I plan on having 2 bathrooms. Right now we have 1.5 and I think that's fine, though it would be nice to have another tub or shower. And there are 5 of us, too!

ETA: It just occurred to me that I wouldn't mind 2.5 bathrooms. One master bath (I would really, really love to have one when we buy a house! :lol: ), one kids bath, and then a half bath like in the hallway or something, for visitors or whatever. If I really wanted to spend money, I would do 3 full ones - us, kids, guests. But I don't think it's necessary.

Edited by PeacefulChaos

Haven't read other replies, but we're a family of 10 (eldest is gone now tho) and have 2.5 bathrooms, but one of them has "issues" and has only been functional off and on. And when it is, it's actually the laundry room, so while there's a toilet in there, there is no mirror, no storage for toiletries or anything. So that one is just a potty :).

Is it a bit irritating on Sunday mornings? Meh . . . only a tiny bit.

ok' date=' i know it's off-topic but i REALLY need to know what teA stands for, as mentioned in a pp re: the need to have a bath adjoining the master bedroom. someone please tell me. :)[/quote']

It's not an acronym, just a euphemism. There was a very long thread on the general topic quite awhile ago. I can't find it; maybe someone else will be able to link it.

teA stands for s3x. We type it as teA or brewing teA or making teA or flavours of teA, etc to prevent undesirables on the internet from picking it up in web searches. Also makes for interesting conversation when it's phrased that way.

BooKs and BooK SheLves are breasts and bras (just because you will find plenty on that as well).

My dad was one of 11, and they had one bathroom and the outdoors for boys who couldn't hold it!

We are a family of five with 1 bathroom and manage just fine. Sometimes someone has to hold it a few minutes, but it's not a big deal. We did put in a double sink so we could wash more than one set of hands at a time, though.

You know, you could have a jack and jill, like I mentioned, upstairs. You have a door in your bedroom to the vanity/potty area, then there's a door beside the potty/vanity that opens to the tub/shower. Then there's another door in the "room" where the bathtub is, and that goes to another potty/vanity, and there's a 4th door to either the hall or to another bedroom (I'd go to the hall).

So, you have your own, private potty/vanity (you can take care of needs after teA privately...:001_smile:), you share the shower/tub, and there's another potty/vanity for the public and/or the kids.

For resale, it still counts as a master bathroom, but with hall access--not everyone likes that, but it's some consolation for people to have a private toileting/vanity area rather than sharing the whole thing.

So 2 bathrooms, but 3 toilets/vanities.

Would that work?

teA stands for s3x. We type it as teA or brewing teA or making teA or flavours of teA, etc to prevent undesirables on the internet from picking it up in web searches. Also makes for interesting conversation when it's phrased that way.

BooKs and BooK SheLves are breasts and bras (just because you will find plenty on that as well).

thank you. i kinda figured all that out. i just thought the way it was written teA it must be an acronym i just couldn't get!

I'd tell you for resale value someday... and you really never totally know when... you don't want to cut down the restrooms. Though you may not want to relax in the restroom.... you don't know how others would feel. I would purchase a house with an extra restroom in a heartbeat. I'd love to have a half bath for guests, and then a bath for every two rooms. One upstairs with a shower as well as one in the master is what I'd want... in addition to the downstairs. Also... a bath for your guest room is great. :) Just a thought. I wouldn't remove restrooms from the plan....

You know, you could have a jack and jill, like I mentioned, upstairs. You have a door in your bedroom to the vanity/potty area, then there's a door beside the potty/vanity that opens to the tub/shower. Then there's another door in the "room" where the bathtub is, and that goes to another potty/vanity, and there's a 4th door to either the hall or to another bedroom (I'd go to the hall).

We had friends with two sinks and storage in between the two rooms, then behind it a door and the toilet/bath~shower combo. It was great. Then the other room upstairs had it's own restroom.... and downstairs the master and then 1/2 for a guest restroom. :)

it would be an elimination of the master bath. the "hall bath" would be the only bathroom upstairs and i'm enlarging it from what it is on the plans. so it would be one big bath upstairs with four bedrooms. downstairs would be one standard fullsize bath with the thought that the current school room could someday be a bedroom and i'd want a full bath to be down there with it.

i get the whole resale thing though. but we're talking so far into the future (hopefully!) that i feel like i need to really think about how my family's gonna be living in it and this also gives us a little more bedroom space.

If you don't want to put a fancy one in the master... at least put a shower/bath small deal with a sink. Seriously, it's a problem for the master to not have a restroom... Especially in a new house. It doesn't take up that much room to have a very small restroom.

Seriously, it's a problem for the master to not have a restroom... Especially in a new house. It doesn't take up that much room to have a very small restroom.

I agree it doesn't take up that much space, but we're looking at the way we will be using the home for the next 40 plus years and it seems like something we just don't need.

dh and i talked again last night. he's very much a "whatever you want" kind of guy and i'm the one who came up with the idea of potentially eliminating the master bath and i played devils advocate on every issue and he still came back to eliminating it too. his view on resell is that we have to build this house for us and the way we'll live in it. re: other items potentially hitting resell - we have no formal living room and our kitchen counters will be laminate rather than granite.

i can see everyone's point on resell, but it's REALLY hard for me because i just don't feel i should be building my house to suit someone to live in it in 50 years.

but i'd love to hear how i'm oh so wrong about that, so please feel free to tell me! this is what i need before i start this whole process.

and while we're at it, any other building tips you have are greatly appreciated! :D

You aren't crazy but I would never give up a half bath. Why/ Because I like the teens to be responsible for their own bathroom and yet want to have a presentable bathroom for guests.

well, i guess the "guest" bathroom will be the downstairs full bath. we never have overnight guests except maybe the inlaws once every couple of years. playdate-type guests would be using the downstairs bath.

right now, we all share one bath (but the kids are young, i know!). i would imagine that until the teen (or at least close) years, we'll be sharing one bath just fine with using the downstairs one for emergencies and time crunches, so it should stay presentable. well, that and i'm a clean freak. ;)

which leads me to the next point of never truly turning cleaning control over to anyone in the family. i am ultimately going to be in charge of it because it's just my thing!

in your opinion' date=' why do people like a dedicated, attached master bath?[/quote']

It's a place where DH and I can get ready in the mornings without needing to put on robes and truck down the hall. By the time we come out of our bedroom, we are pretty much dressed for the day. I say pretty much because I usually wear PJ pants. :tongue_smilie: Once we're out, our bedroom and bathroom are open for use to anyone else who needs it. It just seems more efficient. I guess we're spoiled. I seriously would not even consider buying a house with only one full bath, not even if it had a little half bath as well.

There is no way that any of us can share a bathroom simultaneously, such as one in the shower and one on the toilet or standing at the sink. That is such an unappealing idea. I don't want to hear someone tinkling or smelling something while I'm trying to get clean. Nope, it's one person per bathroom during use.

i am ultimately going to be in charge of it because it's just my thing!

My oldest dd will wipe down the bathroom sink but I'm the one who really cleans the bathrooms. No one else wants to touch the toilet and it really doesn't bother me all that much.

I think your plan is fine, to have one full bathroom upstairs and one downstairs. At least you're putting in a full bath on both floors. A master bath would be a nice addition because it really does seem to be a preference for buyers but since you really don't care about that, just go with your plan and have the slightly bigger master bedroom. I would suggest you make the upstairs bathroom as large as possible without making the bedrooms too small though. Small bedrooms are also a turnoff for buyers. I wouldn't even plan having the toilet be behind a separate door because the person using it would still have to come out and pass someone in the bath/shower. Our family doesn't share a bathroom so once they are inside of it, the door is closed and locked and anyone on the outside has to wait. But having two bathrooms eliminates that problem.

I do wish I had a bathroom on the lower level of our house though. I don't understand why the original owners chose to leave that out. It would have been a perfect suite. Instead, they used one room for storage and the other as a family room. It has a closet so it can technically be called a bedroom. But anyway, it's not the only strange thing about this house, but we chose to buy it so we deal with it.

i can see everyone's point on resell' date=' but it's REALLY hard for me because i just don't feel i should be building my house to suit someone to live in it in 50 years.[/quote']

I can understand the point on reselling, too. However, it sounds like you are really prepared to plan to stay there for a long time, so I think you should build exactly how you want. The only thing I would be thinking about in that case is, am I building within a very realistic, worst-case scenario financial plan, so that I hopefully wouldn't get stuck in a "must-sell" position.

We share just ONE full bath with two teen girls. We usually have no problem.

We actually do have an extra 1/2 bath but it's currently unusable since someone set up their soldering equipment in there.

The other thing I've discovered is that even though we have a family room and a living room (both with TVs and computers), the kids are almost always sitting with us anyway while the other room sits unused. One of the perils of homeschooling is that your kids may want to hang out with you.

Although the extra space still gets used a lot of practicing instruments.

"i don't wanna clean 3 bathrooms."

If your main concern is cleaning the bathrooms, I would tell you to put in the extra bathroom. Your kids are young now, but in a few years you they can be trained to clean the bathrooms.

Also, once puberty hits, no one wants anyone in bathroom with them, so more bathrooms become more helpful. If you don't do more bathrooms, put a door on the toilet areas and/or tub areas to separate them from the sinks.

Resale- more bathrooms are better. But, if this is your "forever home" that doesn't matter.

Good luck, all the decisions with building can be overwhelming,

DH and I both grew up in families of 5 with just one bathroom. And if they really HAVE to go right now.. there is always yours. I didn't catch whether it was girls or not.. since girls do take longer as far as makeup and stuff taking forever.. get them makeup mirrors for their rooms and leave the bathroom for showers and the other:D

In my experience, a tankless water heater is a better bet than another bathroom. It doesn't really matter whether the showers are serial or parallel if you're gong to run out of hot water halfway through :)

:iagree:

We're a family of six. Our house in California had 3 bathrooms, but when we moved to MN, we bought a house with only two. We were worried that it would be an issue, but it's really not at all. We miss having a master bath, but bathroom space usually isn't a problem.

Running out of hot water is a much more frequent issue with teens in the house!

ok' date=' here's the deal:

downstairs will be a full bath. the school room is downstairs but could *someday* be a bedroom if our old selves don't wanna go upstairs. they are not connected as in a "suite". it's just a full size downstairs hall bath that's actually just a half-bath on the plans - we're increasing it's size to make it a full bath for our elderly future :001_smile:.

upstairs is four bedrooms. the plans call for a master suite and a hall bath to be shared by other bedroom inhabitants.

to me, it feels like wasted space to have that many bathrooms. the downstairs bath is not negotiable. i want it to be a full bath. it's the upstairs that's in question. i don't feel a need to have a separate bathroom from my children. but moreso, i want to increase the size of my master bedroom. i'd rather share a bathroom than bump my toes on my bedroom furniture.

we're trying to be as minimal with our space requirement as possible - enough to be comfortable and hold our stuff but not wasted rooms that are only used on occasion.

any other advice would be greatly appreciated (as in "i wouldn't eliminate a bathroom, i'd ________")[/quote']

I like this plan - I am always annoyed when I look at all the wasted space in newer homes that is bathrooms, which I guess is one reason I tend to prefer older places.

One thing that I think can sometimes be helpful is a small sink in a bedroom. A little wall-hung sink can be put in a corner or even built into a closet easily if there is a shared wall with a bathroom and can relieve any pressure for getting into the main bath for brushing teeth and so on.

i never imagined it would be so hard to sell a house that had two full bathrooms! but really, i can't wrap my mind around selling this house. this is IT for us. i gotta go with what I want - not what somebody might want in 5, 10, 20, or 50 years. Heck - what if they hate all the board and batten and beadboard walls. it'll be a pain in the you know what to tear out, but i'm still putting it in. and like i said, no formal living room. no granite. no 9 foot ceilings and tray ceilings. it's staying pretty basic, but that works for us. so i guess i'm shooting resell completely out of the water all over the place! yikes!:D

I like this plan - I am always annoyed when I look at all the wasted space in newer homes that is bathrooms, which I guess is one reason I tend to prefer older places.

QUOTE]

YES!!!! our current home is a log cabin built in 1797 with a later addition. it has one bathroom and no "formal" spaces. i LOOOOOOOVE it! i'm all about older homes which is why this new one is a two story colonial designed to look old.:D

I agree it doesn't take up that much space' date=' but we're looking at the way we will be using the home for the next 40 plus years and it seems like something we just don't [i']need. [/i]

dh and i talked again last night. he's very much a "whatever you want" kind of guy and i'm the one who came up with the idea of potentially eliminating the master bath and i played devils advocate on every issue and he still came back to eliminating it too. his view on resell is that we have to build this house for us and the way we'll live in it. re: other items potentially hitting resell - we have no formal living room and our kitchen counters will be laminate rather than granite.

i can see everyone's point on resell, but it's REALLY hard for me because i just don't feel i should be building my house to suit someone to live in it in 50 years.

but i'd love to hear how i'm oh so wrong about that, so please feel free to tell me! this is what i need before i start this whole process.

and while we're at it, any other building tips you have are greatly appreciated! :D

I think you are right on. Thinking about building your home, that you have to live in, for people who might buy it in 50 years is crazy. I think that people place too much emphasis on it when they might want to sell it in five years.

People want all kinds of things in a home and there is no way you can build a place that will be right for everyone. Some people want a bathroom for each of the five kids they have, one for themselves, one for guests. Others like Colleen only want one. I like 1.5.

Some don't like the extra cleaning, some have small families, some don't want to pay the extra money another bath would suggest. Some like myself don't care at all about having master bath. (Why not clean up after tEa in the regular bathroom? I don't get it? Tell the kids you have to pee, if they notice.)

And in 50 years - well, maybe there will have been an energy crunch and no one will want any of those big homes with three bathrooms. Who knows?

Build your house to please yourself, and decorate is to please yourself as well. Doing it for others just results in wasted money, wasted resources, and bland cookie-cutter homes.

We have survived just fine with one full bathroom and a second one that only had a working toilet for many years with a family of 10, including multiple teenaged girls. We still have 9 of us living here, including 3 teenagers. We did fix the sink in the 2nd bathroom but we are still surviving with one bathtub/shower.

Susan in TX

I haven't read the whole thread but this made me laugh out loud! There are NINE of us(no one in diapers currently) with one on the way and we have two bathrooms :-) Most of the time it is fine but does get a bit hairy when many littles need to potty at once...

Having said that, with the floor plan you are describing I would not eliminate the upstairs bath. I would not want to share the master bath with the kids on a permanent basis. They use ours as needed of course but ours is part if our room and we like the privacy that affords.

Think about resale too. And guest when your kids grow up and leave of come back with their families. Are their spouses going to feel comfortable using the master bath?

We have 3 and I can't think of the last time that all 3 were being used at the same time. Two full baths would be fine.

I think the key with more than one girl who likes makeup/hair styling is to set up a place in their bedroom to do that part of their morning routine.

I grew up with 4 girls and one bathroom. We all had makeup vanities in our room. The actual bathroom was for bathing only, not 'getting ready'.

I think the sink/toilet on your side.... shower/bath in the middle.... and sink/toilet opening up to the hall sounds awesome, if you can figure that into the plans... and a full downstairs. Honestly, I'd go crazy with someone peeing while I was showering :(

As far as the formal dining room... I'm pretty sure it's not required now, although are you having any room (school?) that could be converted if you chose down the road?

I haven't read the whole thread but this made me laugh out loud! There are NINE of us(no one in diapers currently) with one on the way and we have two bathrooms :-) Most of the time it is fine but does get a bit hairy when many littles need to potty at once...

Having said that, with the floor plan you are describing I would not eliminate the upstairs bath. I would not want to share the master bath with the kids on a permanent basis. They use ours as needed of course but ours is part if our room and we like the privacy that affords.

Think about resale too. And guest when your kids grow up and leave of come back with their families. Are their spouses going to feel comfortable using the master bath?

no - we're ELIMINATING the master bath and having a big "hall" bath for everyone to share upstairs. and then a full bath on the first floor.

I think the sink/toilet on your side.... shower/bath in the middle.... and sink/toilet opening up to the hall sounds awesome, if you can figure that into the plans... and a full downstairs. Honestly, I'd go crazy with someone peeing while I was showering :(

As far as the formal dining room... I'm pretty sure it's not required now, although are you having any room (school?) that could be converted if you chose down the road?

yeah, the "school room" is actually the formal dining room. we just have no formal living room - just a very large family room.