Menu

S/O on the Chic Fil A train wreck

I really just don't get it. There are so many people who get so.freaking.mad over this kind of thing, especially when it comes to the "gay" thing. I am a born again Chrisitan, and get this, I have gay friends. My daughter rides horses, so MANY of the men i know are gay because they are horse trainers...i'm not trying to be mean, it's a known fact. ALL of my gay friends know i'm a believer and they know my stand on the whole "gay" thing and guess what? We all GET ALONG! I don't shove my Christianity down their throats and they don't tell my about their sex life. Really, it's all good...really good. I don't know why so many people (who proabably aren't even gay) get so up in arms about this stuff. I believe the bible and what it says. The bible says that homosexuality is a sin...it also says that many other things are a sin....I sin, you sin, we all sin...we are to hate sin....NOT the sinner. I don't hate my gay friends because they are gay and they don't hate me because I'm not. I love each and every one of them very much and i'm pretty sure they feel the same way about me. it's all really very simple. Oh and one other thing(!), i wish we had a Chic Fil A around here, i LOVE that place.

No clue what being a horse trainer has to do w/s*xual orientation. :confused:

That said, I didn't bother w/the thread for 3 reasons:

1. Don't have Chick whatever here in Canada
  2. Gay marriage is legal in Canada
  3. Even if we *did* have Chick whatsis in Canada, I couldn't eat there b/c it's unlikely they have any GF food available. :tongue_smilie:

3. Even if we *did* have Chick whatsis in Canada, I couldn't eat there b/c it's unlikely they have any GF food available. :tongue_smilie:

Actually, they have a gluten-free kids meal.

I really just don't get it. There are so many people who get so.freaking.mad over this kind of thing, especially when it comes to the "gay" thing. I am a born again Chrisitan, and get this, I have gay friends. My daughter rides horses, so MANY of the men i know are gay because they are horse trainers...i'm not trying to be mean, it's a known fact. ALL of my gay friends know i'm a believer and they know my stand on the whole "gay" thing and guess what? We all GET ALONG! I don't shove my Christianity down their throats and they don't tell my about their sex life. Really, it's all good...really good. I don't know why so many people (who proabably aren't even gay) get so up in arms about this stuff. I believe the bible and what it says. The bible says that homosexuality is a sin...it also says that many other things are a sin....I sin, you sin, we all sin...we are to hate sin....NOT the sinner. I don't hate my gay friends because they are gay and they don't hate me because I'm not. I love each and every one of them very much and i'm pretty sure they feel the same way about me. it's all really very simple. Oh and one other thing(!), i wish we had a Chic Fil A around here, i LOVE that place.

I get mad when I see a large business using their status to shove their ideas that they link to Christianity down people's throats. Why not just have their ideas but keep the mouth shut ? Why use it in such a hurtful way ? Why "stand up" for preventing someone else's freedom over something that won't even affect the people who don't like it ? I'm just trying to explain the "why people get mad" part since you said you don't get it.

Sausage, grilled chicken breast, waffle fries, hash browns and shakes are all gluten free. It is one of the few places dh can eat and not get sick.

If Chick-Fil-A were to take that stance, or support organizations with that stance, we wouldn't HAVE a problem.

yes, i am saying they are sinning but i am also saying that i am sinning in the sins that i do. EVERYONE sins. Also everyone who knows anything about horses/training, know that many of the men who are horse trainers are gay. It's a fact plain and simple. nothing more nothing less.

There are so many awesome things about Canada. Sigh. :D

People like to say that being gay is just one sin among many, but companies don't openly discriminate against fat people, adulterers, or disobedient children. Being gay is singled out. So the whole "one among many" argument disintegrates very quickly.

Tara

I get mad when I see a large business using their status to shove their ideas that they link to Christianity down people's throats. Why not just have their ideas but keep the mouth shut ? Why use it in such a hurtful way ? Why "stand up" for preventing someone else's freedom over something that won't even affect the people who don't like it ? I'm just trying to explain the "why people get mad" part since you said you don't get it.

I wasn't surprised in the least. The restaurants are closed on Sundays so I knew they were very religious. Inevitably, I crave Chick-fil-A on Sundays too. It's a mind thing. :)

Yet places that shove their ideas about homosexuality is Okay? It is Okay for you to shout you are pro gay but we cannot shout we are anti-gay. THIS is what gripes my a$$.

I love chick-fil-a and I will continue to eat there. I also love Target and I will shop there. I hate the new JcPenney concept and refuse to shop there anymore but it has to do with their new pricing and whatnot and nothing to do with their political statements. Chick-fil-a has every right to do business how they choose and we have every right to do business there or not. I don't care who sleeps with who because I am not the ultimate judge...I will leave that up to God.

I love chick-fil-a and I will continue to eat there. I also love Target and I will shop there. I hate the new JcPenney concept and refuse to shop there anymore but it has to do with their new pricing and whatnot and nothing to do with their political statements. Chick-fil-a has every right to do business how they choose and we have every right to do business there or not. I don't care who sleeps with who because I am not the ultimate judge...I will leave that up to God.

:iagree:

(1)Doesn't exist in my state either; in fact I had to look up what it was!

(2) If it did I wouldn't eat there anyway since we don't do fast food. And

(3) gay marriage is legal in CT :thumbup:

So I stayed out of the thread too. :D

It's probably similar to my experience as a French major in college and grad school- not a whole lot of straight American guys choose to study French. That is a pretty well known fact among the French majors I know. We had straight guys in our grad program- from Russia, Ivory Coast, Canada, etc. ETA: All the American guys in my classes were gay, including the guy I shared an apartment with in grad school. Except one guy who claimed to be straight, but I had my doubts. I mean, how many straight guys know all the words to every Barbra Streisand song, really?:D

Edited by thescrappyhomeschooler

Didn't Chick-fil-a back down? Here's the statement on their facebook page (quoted in Huffington Post):

"The Chick-fil-A culture and service tradition in our restaurants is to treat every person with honor, dignity and respect –- regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender. We will continue this tradition in the over 1,600 Restaurants run by independent Owner/Operators. Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena. Chick-fil-A is a family-owned and family-led company serving the communities in which it operates. From the day Truett Cathy started the company, he began applying biblically-based principles to managing his business. For example, we believe that closing on Sundays, operating debt-free and devoting a percentage of our profits back to our communities are what make us a stronger company and Chick-fil-A family.

Our mission is simple: to serve great food, provide genuine hospitality and have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A."

The way I see it, the old man was being interviewed by a Christian magazine, and felt he could say what he really thinks. That blew up in his face, and the rest of the officers in the company came to the rescue and told the old man to put a cork in it.

I have a company, and I definitely try to "leave the policy debate over (anything political or religious) to the government and political arena." Most people I disagree with wouldn't know it from talking to me. I don't lie about my beliefs, but it's really none of their business.

I do feel sorry for any franchise owners that might not be so convinced that homosexuality is a choice, but I'm sure none of them were surprised by the CEO's opinion.

Yet you are still saying they are sinning. And that's why this argument can never even begin, let alone end.

Everybody sins. And we are called to not judge one another.

People like to say that being gay is just one sin among many, but companies don't openly discriminate against fat people, adulterers, or disobedient children. Being gay is singled out. So the whole "one among many" argument disintegrates very quickly.

I agree that it is singled out, but it *shouldn't be*. I think Christians who single it out are sinners. "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure that you use, it will be used against you."

Have you read Isaiah 1? The sins of Judah (which is being compared with Sodom and Gomorrah) are listed: rebelling against God, idolotry, lacking in knowledge, engaging in meaningless religious ritual, being unjust and oppressive to others, being insensitive to the needs of widows and orphans, committing murder, accepting bribes, etc. There are no s*xual acts mentioned. In Jeremiah sins of Jerusalem are listed and compared with Sodom and Gomorrah: adultery, lying, evil, but no homosexuality. Ezekiel 16:49-50: "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, over fed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore, I did away with them as you have seen."

When is the last time you saw a conservative use Ezekiel to argue that we should do more to help the poor because that would be Biblical?

I agree that it is singled out, but it should not be singled out.

Yet places that shove their ideas about homosexuality is Okay? It is Okay for you to shout you are pro gay but we cannot shout we are anti-gay. THIS is what gripes my a$$.

Because there is never any call to boycott companies because they are viewed as "pro-gay?" What a joke! People choose to support business or not based upon their own beliefs. Both sides do that.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Yet you are still saying they are sinning. And that's why this argument can never even begin, let alone end.

I don't get why the word 'sin' is considered so evil. We all sin. I have sin in my life too. Why is it that if I use a word, that really should mean nothing to a non christian, that people get upset?

Tara

Well since Chick-fil-a supports Focus on the Family, who talks a lot about that sort of stuff, than perhaps they are taking a small stand on those things as well.

They are completely allowed to shout, as are you.

And those of us who disagree are allowed to choose not to contribute our dollars to a business that passes company profits along to organizations we find reprehensible.

That's it. There's nothing complicated or nefarious.

I do not care if anyone is "pro gay" (nor do i have the foggiest what that means) but if a business gives enormous amounts of money to a "family" organization that is actively trying to harm my family (and many others like it), then yes, I'm going to have a big stinking problem with that. And I'm grateful that most non-LGBT people seem to also have a problem with it.

ETA,and yes, you can shout all you want. There are a lot of folks shouting! There were a whole bunch of them at my wedding, as I recall. It is your right,as it was theirs. Others have the right to disagree with you, and to boycott businesses that agree with you. Just as those who are "anti-gay" regularly boycott businesses that have taken a pro-gay-marriage stance.

Edited by AdventureMoms

Didn't Chick-fil-a back down? Here's the statement on their facebook page (quoted in Huffington Post):

"The Chick-fil-A culture and service tradition in our restaurants is to treat every person with honor, dignity and respect –- regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender. We will continue this tradition in the over 1,600 Restaurants run by independent Owner/Operators. Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena. Chick-fil-A is a family-owned and family-led company serving the communities in which it operates. From the day Truett Cathy started the company, he began applying biblically-based principles to managing his business. For example, we believe that closing on Sundays, operating debt-free and devoting a percentage of our profits back to our communities are what make us a stronger company and Chick-fil-A family.

Our mission is simple: to serve great food, provide genuine hospitality and have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A."

And when they pledge to stop donating to Focus on the Family, Exodus International and similar organizations, I'll believe them.

They are completely allowed to shout, as are you.

And those of us who disagree are allowed to choose not to contribute our dollars to a business that passes company profits along to organizations we find reprehensible.

That's it. There's nothing complicated or nefarious.

But didn't those who decided to boycott JcPenny got slammed for this choice. This is the one sided tolerance thing I get upset at. YOU can choose where your dollar will go but those who disagree and put their money where they want to better follow along or they are the evil mongers.

But didn't those who decided to boycott JcPenny got slammed for this choice. This is the one sided tolerance thing I get upset at. YOU can choose where your dollar will go but those who disagree and put their money where they want to better follow along or they are the evil mongers.

Oh, I've been told on here that I don't have the right to decide where my money goes. :001_huh:

What? This is the first I've ever heard that men are gay because they are horse trainers. WTHeck?

Wait, so the problem is that we disagree with who you are boycotting? You realize that I get slammed all the time for being gay right? People disagree, that's life. I don't think the protestors at my wedding were there to congratulate me - they were disagreeing, and they have the right to do so. I have the right to think that their position is absurd and to be grateful that history will show the absurdity of it.

Just on a personal level, if I stand silently by while letting anti-gay agitation happen, it feels like (a) I'm failing to protect my many gay friends and acquaintances and heck, even/especially gay strangers, and (b) to a certain extent, it feels like I'm staying silent to avoid conflict on an issue that's as important as universal suffrage or civil rights. (And yes, we do feel like those issues are moral equivalents based in the promise of freedom and equality.)

I don't feel like getting in a pointless argument on the Internet over this, but if you genuinely want to know why the "pro-gay" people insist on being such nags and fusses over this kind of thing, the above rationales are at least part of why.

Edited by kubiac

Tara

Everybody sins. And we are called to not judge one another.

I agree that it is singled out, but it *shouldn't be*. I think Christians who single it out are sinners. "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure that you use, it will be used against you."

Have you read Isaiah 1? The sins of Judah (which is being compared with Sodom and Gomorrah) are listed: rebelling against God, idolotry, lacking in knowledge, engaging in meaningless religious ritual, being unjust and oppressive to others, being insensitive to the needs of widows and orphans, committing murder, accepting bribes, etc. There are no s*xual acts mentioned. In Jeremiah sins of Jerusalem are listed and compared with Sodom and Gomorrah: adultery, lying, evil, but no homosexuality. Ezekiel 16:49-50: "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, over fed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore, I did away with them as you have seen."

When is the last time you saw a conservative use Ezekiel to argue that we should do more to help the poor because that would be Biblical?

I agree that it is singled out, but it should not be singled out.

Because there is never any call to boycott companies because they are viewed as "pro-gay?" What a joke! People choose to support business or not based upon their own beliefs. Both sides do that.

The singling out ticks me off because if we are all sinners, we are all sinners. My personal views aside, if you believe being gay is a sin and you also believe you are a sinner and you single out a gay person for not having rights then that elevates their sin to being bigger than yours. (Sorry, there should probably be some more punctuation in there somewhere.)

I know some people believe sin is sin period, there is no quantity to sin, no little sin, no big sin. The bible also says we are not to judge others. When you place someone else's sin as a bigger issue than yours, then you are judging that person. Aren't you, by biblical logic, then sinning yourself? It's one thing to hold a personal conviction, it's another thing entirely place judgment on another.

Love never fails. I see my God as a God of love. Right now I could see him pulling a Bob Newhart-style "Just stop it" to all of this nonsense.

An Eagle Scout in our area was recently stripped of achievements because he outed himself as gay. :glare: Somehow being gay now means he didn't work hard all these years? Give me a break.

Chick whoever can do as they please. I've eaten there once, I probably won't bother to go back.

Gay individuals have been around forever. So far they haven't made society gay, it's not contagious. If humanity continues to pick itself apart over all these perceived lack of morality issues what is going to be left? Love your neighbor as yourself. Give me Your eyes so I can see. You know what I see? Children of God, not dived by color, race, gender, or sexuality.

What? This is the first I've ever heard that men are gay because they are horse trainers. WTHeck?

I think it goes the other way around. Gay men are more open to certain "feminine" careers like hairdresser, figure skater, dancer, fashion designer, and, apparently, horse trainer.

DH flipped out when DS (who is totally into "boy" stuff and judging by his huge crush on Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia in the slave-girl bikini :lol: most likely will be heterosexual as an adult) expressed an interest in dance classes. Even hip-hop dance wasn't macho enough for DH. :glare:

Some people here said that socially liberal people are not letting them express their opinions and that's just not true.

Oh, conservatives can express their opinions all right, but they will be called "hateful" and "intolerant" for it. Whereas liberals can express the most hateful, offensive, and intolerant opinions about Christianity and not only will nobody object, those comments are typically DEFENDED. :thumbdown:

I wasn't surprised in the least. The restaurants are closed on Sundays so I knew they were very religious. Inevitably, I crave Chick-fil-A on Sundays too. It's a mind thing. :)

The way I see it, the old man was being interviewed by a Christian magazine, and felt he could say what he really thinks. That blew up in his face, and the rest of the officers in the company came to the rescue and told the old man to put a cork in it.

I have a company, and I definitely try to "leave the policy debate over (anything political or religious) to the government and political arena." Most people I disagree with wouldn't know it from talking to me. I don't lie about my beliefs, but it's really none of their business.

I do feel sorry for any franchise owners that might not be so convinced that homosexuality is a choice, but I'm sure none of them were surprised by the CEO's opinion.

Oh, conservatives can express their opinions all right, but they will be called "hateful" and "intolerant" for it. Whereas liberals can express the most hateful, offensive, and intolerant opinions about Christianity and not only will nobody object, those comments are typically DEFENDED. :thumbdown:

And liberals will be called immoral, Soddomites, etc. Name calling isn't one sided...

I personally don't care if someone has a negative opinion about gayness. What is offensive is when that opinion is considered justification to impede other people's freedom. Don't like gay marriage ? Fine, don't attend the weddings ! But leave others free to make their own choices.

The difficult part of this argument is that liberals are being called intolerant and that is happening more frequently.

Now, I have been called all that and more for homeschooling. I do not bash ps in general, although the schools here have gotten plenty of bashing from me, and I do not bash ps parents. My family is not the stereotypical Christian hsing family. I do not, for instance, own a denim jumper. However, I have been accused of all the stereotypes simply because I homeschool.

On those occasions I have tried to point out that the person making these claims is being intolerant of our chosen lifestyle and they are using hateful stereotypes to back their opinion up. I have even called someone a bigot for this.

The response is invariably that I am intolerant of them and a bigot.

Why?

Because I would not tolerate what they said and that showed a fear/dislike of them for disagreeing with me.

:banghead:

When it comes to this there is no winning. Both sides feel like they are being unjustly attacked and the other side is being intolerant. The best I have come up with is to cheerfully thank God that we still live in a country where we CAN be intolerant bigots. In the end someone somewhere is going to think we are and since those slippery little words can be used by anyone on either side of any debate the best I can think to do is agree and walk away.

I don't get why the word 'sin' is considered so evil. We all sin. I have sin in my life too. Why is it that if I use a word, that really should mean nothing to a non christian, that people get upset?

Because people use that word to hide behind when they deny two consenting adults the right to marry.

And, sorry, but that makes no sense. If that's how we are going to determine who gets to marry then I guess no one gets to marry since so many Christians here keep pointing out how we are all sinners.

I think it goes the other way around. Gay men are more open to certain "feminine" careers like hairdresser, figure skater, dancer, fashion designer, and, apparently, horse trainer.

DH flipped out when DS (who is totally into "boy" stuff and judging by his huge crush on Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia in the slave-girl bikini :lol: most likely will be heterosexual as an adult) expressed an interest in dance classes. Even hip-hop dance wasn't macho enough for DH. :glare:

In the case of horse training there could be a practical aspect to it as well. Some horses are much more cooperative for females than males. Sometimes these horses are also more cooperative for gay males. I have known a horse that was like this. Don't ask me how the horse "knew" but this horse could tell.

Because the motives are not equal like when choosing between chocolate and strawberry ice cream. To be pro-gay (in this context) is to be supportive out of love and respect for fellow human brings. To be anti-gay (in this context) is to take a stance against an entire group of people that is not motivated by love or respect. Expressing distain for a group of people is NOT the moral equivilant to choosing strawberry over chocolate.

I think it's absolutely fine that they say it. And I think it's fine for patrons to speak with their pocket book. I think people have every right to their religious beliefs and practices. It's when you want to deny other people civil rights because of YOUR beliefs is where I have a problem. I still think people can have their private churches that don't acknowledge gay marriage no problem. Whether you like it or not, single gender families are out there raising kids and driving to little league and Sunday school. I think their children deserve the same protections as mine.

:lol: Someone should notify the papers! I used to work in the software industry and knew a good share of gay people that worked in that area. I'm not sure I'd be willing to make any kind of blanket assessment of career equating to sexual orientation.

The word sin means nothing to me. But I don't exactly think people are wishing me well if they call me a sinner.

Well, it's a worldview. As a Christian, I believe that we are ALL not perfect. We all could be more loving, more gracious, more peaceful, more kind, more giving.

I think there are some religious traditions in this country that really like to bang the sin pot. When, really, it's not that big of a deal. It's a state we struggle against, not a curse word.

Last time I checked, one could be Christian AND socially liberal. Being "pro-gay" is not "anti-Christian."

Just because a subset of Christians is anti-gay does not mean that all objections to the anti-gay agenda are anti-Christian.

I feel the same way about celebrities in movies or music groups. I love a good movie or song but don't give a crap about their political opinions. Especially since they tend to not be the brightest crayons in the box. Yes, I know I just generalized there.