Menu

What would you think about a 3 month old baby

Apparently he's always been a bit fussy and spit up frequently, but not this bad. I've been telling the mom that I think he isn't digesting the formula well. She called the doctor and the doctor just told her to give him mylicon drops every four hours. I'm not the mom, so there's not much I can do, here, but it's breaking my heart to see him so uncomfortable.

My ds1 had reflux, and my nephew had dairy allergies. I told the mom about both of these things and how her baby's behavior reminds me of them. I've mentioned it several times. My husband even told her that he probably needs the Nutramigen or Alimentum formula (I can't believe he remembers that!), because that's what our son had to have when I wasn't nursing him.

I just don't know what to do, because she doesn't seem to know what to do, either. She keeps telling me that she thinks he's tired or hungry or whatever she thinks the next day. They have an almost 2 yr. old, who evidently didn't have these problems, so they don't know how to handle it. I think she's sleep deprived, hates her job, and is not thinking clearly. Today, he has a goopy eye, and she just told me to wash it off with a warm cloth.

Edited by thescrappyhomeschooler

I would think something about the formula did not agree with him, and I'd be inclined to try a different formula. If it happened while breastfeeding as well, I'd think dairy allergy, probably.

Might also try a different nipple style and see if maybe there is something funny about his mouth shape, like a high palate, which could be causing an insufficient seal around the nipple, thus causing him to take in more air, which can cause gas. Massaging his tummy and bicycling his legs may help with the gas.

If he has been like this all along, then I'm thinking food allergy (unless mom is dairy and gluten free). I had a baby who was just lactose intolerant, and mylicon and lactose free formula helped a lot, but her symptoms were not as severe or consistent.

Count me as another one questioning the competency of the doctor she's using.

Having had a baby that was in that much pain and discomfort and a pediatrician who was not responsive I would absolutely seek another opinion. In our case it was reflux, dairy and soy allergy. Would mom be incredibly upset if you bought nutramigen or alimentium and gave it to him during the day? Also we learned that the prevacid solutabs contain soy so they are not a good option if soy is also a problem.

I'm babysitting because we need the money. Dh has been on a reduced salary for over a year now. I can't afford to buy the kid Nutramigen, which is why I keep mentioning it to the mother. I did talk with my sister about just taking the hit and buying Nutramigen, but, if I give him Nutramigen here, and they just give him regular formula at home, that won't really help, will it?

Lactose intolerance or another allergy. I would switch formulas. We had to with our son. I would also seriously consider a different pediatrican. The last one that blew me off like that completely missed that my daughter had a serious medical condition that needed intervention.

I don't post often, so I apologize that I seem like a Negative Nellie. I agree with the pp(s), but wanted to mention that between 2 and 3 months of age is when my nephew was diagnosed with pyloric stenosis. He had all of the symptoms mentioned, as well as a lack of weight gain. He require surgery, but recovered well, and is now a healthy, active 4 old. Hopefully this isn't what's going on, but wanted to mention it since it seemed so similar.

I don't post often, so I apologize that I seem like a Negative Nellie. I agree with the pp(s), but wanted to mention that between 2 and 3 months of age is when my nephew was diagnosed with pyloric stenosis. He had all of the symptoms mentioned, as well as a lack of weight gain. He require surgery, but recovered well, and is now a healthy, active 4 old. Hopefully this isn't what's going on, but wanted to mention it since it seemed so similar.

I think this is probably why the doctor is not taking it seriously. The kid is enormous. He is gaining weight, no problem. He is over 16 lbs. already. But that's just genetic. His dad is an enormous guy, too.

I would assume dairy allergy. DD12 was like that, on breast and formula. She was put on soy formula at 3 months and was a new baby.

DD4 had terrible reflux but didn't have gas, just vomitting/pain. DS8 has dairy allergy that started causing problems at 4 months when he started formula but we didn't figure it out until this year (his presented weird)

Of my experiences dairy allergy is my first thought

I'm babysitting because we need the money. Dh has been on a reduced salary for over a year now. I can't afford to buy the kid Nutramigen, which is why I keep mentioning it to the mother. I did talk with my sister about just taking the hit and buying Nutramigen, but, if I give him Nutramigen here, and they just give him regular formula at home, that won't really help, will it?

You shouldn't have to buy it yourself.

Yes, it would help *some*, but you still shouldn't have to buy it.

How concerned is the mother? I cannot imagine someone's being worried about her baby's health and unwilling to try something that could totally change that baby's life, KWIM?

I would think it could be an allergy, or reflux.

My last four babies had reflux. It was rough getting through the first 6-8 weeks until their guts were able to tolerate Prevacid, then things got much better around here. All were eventually moved to AR with Dr. Brown bottles once I quit breastfeeding. I wouldn't be pleased with a peds that blew you off, my kids were all big, my DH is 6'8".

Easier said than done sometimes. Not everyone has the ideal job for it.

Not to sound discouraging, but I imagine the mother probably considered it.

Still worth mentioning because IME people think it is more difficult than it is and assume you have to switch to formula when you return to work.

Both my boys exhibited exactly those same symptoms. Both were allergic to milk protein and soy. Milk protein is even in the hypoallergenic formulas (Casein Hydrosate) so neither could tolerate that. Eventually Indy was put on a script formula and meds for reflux and within 3 days was a completely different kid. He was always pretty happy, but when eating, he would cry and cry and arch is back and then spit up half of what he ate. It was awful. When Han Solo came along and started exhibiting the same symptoms, I told the ped what I suspected, he said we should try the script formula to see if it helped and within 3 days, all was well.

If this baby's ped isn't taking this seriously, I'd go to a different one.

Lactose intolerance. Nutramgen for him. Today. Please.

:iagree: Nutramigen is awesome. (except that it smells like cat food and is super expensive. Sometimes the ped has samples.)

If the formula is particularly foamy, I'd put a drop of mylicon in the bottle itself to get rid of the foam.

Alternatively, if the Nutramigen doesn't work I'd ask for a trial of zantac in case it is reflux.

If the spitting and gas and pain is new, I'd say it' the formula. If he's always been like that, I would say reflux.

:iagree: And he very well may be tired and hungry. He's tired because the pain keeps him up and hungry because he can't keep his food down. Poor baby. :grouphug: My DS1 probably had reflux but I didn't know. I thought he was just a fussy baby. I feel bad now for all the pain we all went through. Honestly- he was the fussiest baby I have ever met in my life and he's almost 11. My girls all had reflux- the first 2 were worse so it was unmistakable and I recognized it with my youngest because of them. If DS hadn't been my first, then I would have known and could have helped him.

OPs case does not sound like pyloric stenosis. DS had it and the main sympton is projectile vomiting and wanting to eat right after they vomit everywhere. OP said he was spitting up, not projectile vomiting. Gas is also not a symptom of pyloric stenosis. Pyloric Stenosis also shows up between 2-8 weeks of age. It is most likely NOT pyloric stenosis but baby needs a change of formula/has reflux.

http://www.chw.org/display/PPF/DocID/22810/router.asp

I had forgotten about the Dr. Brown's bottles. Those things are near miraculous IMO and I can't believe I forgot to mention them. I bought them for a foster baby once and his gassy symptoms and spitting cleared almost immediately. I was even able to stop giving him gas drops in his formula. That was the ONLY change we made for him and he was a dramatically different child.

Some other things to consider... If she is using a powdered formula, that could be causing problems. For another foster baby we had to switch her to the canned concentrate and premixed formulas (pediatrician's suggestion). The powdered formula sometimes leaves larger particles that are difficult for some babies to digest. We can't see the particles, but their bodies can't handle them. That is why the concentrate works so well, there aren't any particles left from the mixing process. in addition, no air bubbles are created from shaking/stirring vigorously. The problem here is that concentrates cost more and WIC won't provide them.

Another thing we did was to actually add the gas drops to the bottle after mixing the powdered formula and before giving to the baby. The drops rid most air bubbles in the bottle left after shaking/stirring. Just add 3 or 4 drops and swirl it around. I also did this with the Dr. Brown's bottles.

I understand the costs, we are just now eating steak again as all spare cash funded neutramigen for DD for the first year of her life. It is liquid gold. My suggestion would be buy 1 can, give it to him at your house, send him home with it and ask the parents to humor you with 48 hours of the new formula. A single can will last you that long. If it is a diary/soy allergy issue they will see the improvement with him immediately.

Or if money is really really tight for the formula and since Mom is not interested in making this change for her baby call the companies and request sample cans. Then when they arrive start the trial. The two 8 oz sample cans of nutramigen powder will last for a 48 hour test period that will give you an idea if this is the right path to take. Since the big 32 oz can would last our 4 month old 4 days.

I can still remember the day we made the switch to neutramigen on the recommendation of a friend and DD slept for the first time in 4 months for a 4 hour time block! We spent the first 4 months of her life never sleeping more than an hour at a time, as she was up and screaming. She screamed all day and all night, she vomited almost everything she ate, she was not gaining weight. Once we switched her within the first month she gained a pound and a half it is amazing what happens when she was no longer essentially bulemic and vomiting all of her nutrition. DH and I were not at all thinking clearly and it was all I could do to return to work and function there when my nights were non existent. She also slept in her bouncy seat inside her pack n play next to our bed as it was the only position that did not cause her pain.

Edited by sparkygirl

Some other things to consider... If she is using a powdered formula, that could be causing problems. For another foster baby we had to switch her to the canned concentrate and premixed formulas (pediatrician's suggestion). The powdered formula sometimes leaves larger particles that are difficult for some babies to digest. We can't see the particles, but their bodies can't handle them. That is why the concentrate works so well, there aren't any particles left from the mixing process. in addition, no air bubbles are created from shaking/stirring vigorously.

:iagree: -- our middle child had similar symptoms (except with projectile vomiting). Once we switched to liquid concentrate, things settled down.

I understand the costs, we are just now eating steak again as all spare cash funded neutramigen for DD for the first year of her life. It is liquid gold. My suggestion would be buy 1 can, give it to him at your house, send him home with it and ask the parents to humor you with 48 hours of the new formula. A single can will last you that long. If it is a diary/soy allergy issue they will see the improvement with him immediately.

Or if money is really really tight for the formula and since Mom is not interested in making this change for her baby call the companies and request sample cans. Then when they arrive start the trial. The two 8 oz sample cans of nutramigen powder will last for a 48 hour test period that will give you an idea if this is the right path to take. Since the big 32 oz can would last our 4 month old 4 days.

I can still remember the day we made the switch to neutramigen on the recommendation of a friend and DD slept for the first time in 4 months for a 4 hour time block! We spent the first 4 months of her life never sleeping more than an hour at a time, as she was up and screaming. She screamed all day and all night, she vomited almost everything she ate, she was not gaining weight. Once we switched her within the first month she gained a pound and a half it is amazing what happens when she was no longer essentially bulemic and vomiting all of her nutrition. DH and I were not at all thinking clearly and it was all I could do to return to work and function there when my nights were non existent. She also slept in her bouncy seat inside her pack n play next to our bed as it was the only position that did not cause her pain.

You know, I think I will do this. I think it's worth a try, at least. Thanks, everyone.

OPs case does not sound like pyloric stenosis. DS had it and the main sympton is projectile vomiting and wanting to eat right after they vomit everywhere. OP said he was spitting up, not projectile vomiting. Gas is also not a symptom of pyloric stenosis. Pyloric Stenosis also shows up between 2-8 weeks of age. It is most likely NOT pyloric stenosis but baby needs a change of formula/has reflux.

http://www.chw.org/display/PPF/DocID/22810/router.asp

In my original post, I stated that I agreed with the previous posters. I did not, in any way, mean to imply that it definitely, or even probably, is pyloric stenosis. I was merely suggesting another possibility, based on my nephew's experience.

I am familiar with the classic signs and symptoms. I mentioned it because my nephew was not diagnosed until he was nearly 3 months old, and my sil referred to his vomiting as spitting up. This wasn't her first child, and my nephew fooled every army doc who saw him. He just did not present in a typical manner, although he was her first born son, which increases the likelihood. It was his weight loss that finally led medical staff down the correct dx path.

If I sounded alarmist in my op, that was not my intention. :)

At 2 months, we put my son on Zantac and used regular formula. Worked great, he was on it for a year. We had tried every formula, every bottle. The Zantac took care of it of the terrible pain, ds had stopped eating because of it.

He has never had dairy issues and eventually outgrew the Zantac after he was old enough for regular milk.

who spits up very frequently, like 2-3 oz. at a time, has horrible gas all day long and twists up and seems in pain when passing the gas, and cries incessantly for hours every day.

He was originally breastfed for most of the time for his first 12 weeks, then transferred to formula when his mom went back to work.

Milk allergy. All 3 of my older children had milk allergy. My middle dd had these symptoms and we had to use formula called nutrimagen and she had colic. We did use the gas drops. She was also on Zantac and Levison (? on spelling).

The best thing though for her was to only feed 2-3 oz. of formula at a time and to make sure and burp after every oz. fed.

I would honestly try soy formula for a bit and see if it helps or lactose free formula. I had one that switched to lactose free and did well, one with the prescription and nutrimagen, and one that switched to soy after breastfeeding. My last one I breastfed until he went to solid food but I had to watch my dairy intake.

I don't think a ton of gas drops are really good or will really help that much. I mean isn't that like someone just keeping popping tums and ignoring the bigger problem.

I would buy lactose free first and some gripe water. I would also feed smaller amounts of formula more frequently (almost like a newborn would eat). You will know in a day or so whether it makes a difference.

I haven't read the whole thread so if I have missed something major forgive me.

My question is how many weeks old is the baby now? If he was exclusively bf through 12 weeks and has only been on formula a week or two (3 months old) wouldn't his discomfort potentially be due to improper transitioning between the b milk and formula. I think it is supposed to be an adjusted mixture of the 2 for about 2 weeks. Something about every 3 days less b milk more formula in bottles. If he just started formula straight I don't know if it would matter which. The results probably wouldn't be great.

I went back and read through it some and saw the cost of nutrimagen is a problem. In some states, you can get WIC no matter the income for dietary needs. All of our nutrimagen came from a script and WIC covered it. My one son was on the soy and once he was over a year they wrote a script for the prosobee next step so that he would get the nutrition he needed until he was almost 3.

You could mention to the Mom to check into WIC to try and get the cost of special formula covered.