Menu

I would not buy a house that.......

Things I cannot change but am a bit worried about:

1. layout is a bit funky.....it was fine and perfect with only 2 kids, but the bedrooms are HUGE but not enough of them.....for us anymore anyway.

2. Bathrooms with showers/tubs are only in actual bedrooms. I didn't even notice until we bought the house!

3. Bonus room we have to walk through one room to get to it. It might be perfect for a teen/young adult who needs a studio or something.

4. long gravel drive. VERY long.....over $45K to pave it.....not happening.

Just to look at your negatives.

1- The layout just depends on getting the right people. I love huge bedrooms. It means there's lots of room for fun stuff and the playthings stay out of the public areas more.

2- This might be different, but for a family that stays at home a lot, not a problem at all.

3- If the bonus room is off a child's room, it sounds like the perfect setup for a library/playroom.

4- The long gravel drive may actually be a positive rather than a negative. If you live in the country, people like the seclusion. Part of the appeal is to be far away from the main roads.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After living in so many rentals over the years I'm pretty much game for anything as long as the house is sound and doesn't have any major structural issues.

I noticed a lot of people said they wouldn't buy a house with no basement or that they had to go up stairs to get into. I would recommend they never move to the Hampton Roads area of VA then. I've never seen a house with a basement and all the houses in my neighborhood as well as many of the surrounding ones are built up on about a 4ft high crawl space. You can't get into my house through any door without going up about 5-6 stairs.

After living in so many rentals over the years I'm pretty much game for anything as long as the house is sound and doesn't have any major structural issues.

I noticed a lot of people said they wouldn't buy a house with no basement or that they had to go up stairs to get into. I would recommend they never move to the Hampton Roads area of VA then. I've never seen a house with a basement and all the houses in my neighborhood as well as many of the surrounding ones are built up on about a 4ft high crawl space. You can't get into my house through any door without going up about 5-6 stairs.

My house has 5 steps into it.

My problem is with houses where the front door is on the second story of the house. I can't find a picture. But it's a typical whole set of stairs to get in the front door. I have seen whole new neighborhoods built this way. I wonder why :confused: add in winter and icy steps and I think it's insane.

(You can walk up the stairs outside. Then when you get in the front door you can walk down a whole staircase and go out the backdoor into the backyard. It's strange)

My house has 5 steps into it.

My problem is with houses where the front door is on the second story of the house. I can't find a picture. But it's a typical whole set of stairs to get in the front door. I have seen whole new neighborhoods built this way. I wonder why :confused: add in winter and icy steps and I think it's insane.

(You can walk up the stairs outside. Then when you get in the front door you can walk down a whole staircase and go out the backdoor into the backyard. It's strange)

I've seen those many times they are built into a hill, but I wonder if some of them are built that way so they can have a "walk out basement" type situation.

1) Does not have two sinks in the master bath

2) Does not have a decent deck/porch for outdoor socializing/dining.

3) Does not have space for a separate study.

4) Does not have an HOA (or good city covenants for home upkeep) (sorry, but we like them)

5) Is not fenced (or easy to put a fence in)

6) Does not have a good kitchen, with lots of counter space.

7) Enough bedrooms for all children to have their own.

8)

I've seen those many times they are built into a hill, but I wonder if some of them are built that way so they can have a "walk out basement" type situation.

ON a hill, I can understand.

But some areas have a whole row of them built on flat ground.

It's so they don't have to dig out a basement. Those houses always have me thinking. :confused::confused:

Well, I doubt I'll ever buy a house, unless it's another rental. Our next rental we'll probably build on land that already has a rental. So, we'll be forced to go on county sewer--grrr. It will be a two story, with at least one bed/bath on the ground floor. That piece of land is high enough that it will have a basement. It will be three-four bed with 2.5 bath because that is what folks want to rent. If we go 3 bed, it will have 2 bath. If four bed, it will have 2.5 bath. It will have a metal roof and probably be log to match the other rental.

I think I'll move in. We would be good renters, I promise. We would always pay on time. We wouldn't be whiny.

We'd love to have you! I'm about fed up with two renters right now. One was running for state senate--hello--if you can't pay your rent on time, why should I think you can manage state money????

Well if I could convince my oldest to go to Mines instead of GA Tech...

Has any smell of cigarette smoke

:iagree: Definitely this! We tell realtors not to even show us those homes. I wouldn't buy a house with animal odors either. I figure if they can't get rid of the smell to show the house, it probably can't be gotten rid of. :tongue_smilie: We walked through a house a few years ago that smelled like an Indian restaurant. Our realtor said that smell is as difficult to remove as cigarette smoke.

Has any smell of cigarette smoke

The house we currently own was owned by chain smokers who glued all the windows shut. :confused:

We painted before moving in. Removed the only carpet in the house from one bedroom.

When we are away for a few days and the house is shut up you can still smell the smoke when you walk in. :glare:

But it's a great location. :)

not on a busy street or near a main road.

has to have a basement

has to have 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms at least

has to have attached garage

has to have central air

would prefer some trees, a deck and fenced yard if possible but a deck and fence can be added on

needs decent size kitchen

Wrap around porch.

Stop. You had me right here. A wrap around porch is one of the features of my dream home. :tongue_smilie: Of course the rest of the description is nice too. That house would sell for over $250K where I live. And actually, with that land, it would probably be way more than that. Ah.. but a lady can dream, can't I?

My house has this odd design. We have a split level home. There are stairs leading up to the front door, the top level of a split level home. The garage also opens on the downstairs level and you have to go up a staircase to get the main level of the home. The front door opens onto a landing that has stairs going down to the garage level or up to the main level. I will admit I do not like walking up stairs to get into my house. Carrying groceries is stupid. But we were one of 3 bidders on the 2nd day the house was for sale, so I'm assuming that when we are ready to sell that someone else won't mind the stairs. The rest of the house was just awesome so the stairs didn't even register on my radar as being a bad thing.

I'll never buy another house that . . .

Has stairs -wheelchair accessible from here on out.

Has old windows - too messy and expensive to replace.

Has giant trees within crushing distance of the house. Too expensive to remove and a healthy tree can fall on your house.

You will never buy a house that has wheelchair access? Why not?

I'll never buy another house that . . .

Has stairs -wheelchair accessible from here on out.

Has old windows - too messy and expensive to replace.

Has giant trees within crushing distance of the house. Too expensive to remove and a healthy tree can fall on your house.

True, true. I stress about the things we have come to dislike, but it will be the perfect house for someone else.

Dawn

Just to look at your negatives.

1- The layout just depends on getting the right people. I love huge bedrooms. It means there's lots of room for fun stuff and the playthings stay out of the public areas more.

2- This might be different, but for a family that stays at home a lot, not a problem at all.

3- If the bonus room is off a child's room, it sounds like the perfect setup for a library/playroom.

4- The long gravel drive may actually be a positive rather than a negative. If you live in the country, people like the seclusion. Part of the appeal is to be far away from the main roads.

fill in the blank

We are looking to sell in the next year hopefully.

That has noisy neighbors.

That has dogs beside or behind that bark. We do have dogs next door but these people only let them out when they are with them or to go to the bathroom, not to bother the neighbors! Love 'em

That has a neighbor garage abutting my property, if I can avoid it.

That needs major work (been there, done that)

That has structural issues

Infestation of any kind

Busy street

Bad neighborhood

Cigarette smokers or cat owners lived in the property. Any evidence of pets at all.

Any water problems.

Mold.

We're in the process of both selling and buying, so GOOD LUCK TO YOU!! It is exhausting, and you'll never please everyone.

I will never buy a house that:

-- Has structural problems

-- Has plumbing problems

-- Shows no sign of cleaning (I doubt this is an issue here, but we were appalled at the number of houses we visited where the owners knew we were coming more than 24 hours in advance and didn't clean, tidy, dust, ANYTHING)

-- Has an HOA (add me to that list... I refuse to live in a neighborhood where the neighbors can tell me how to live)

-- Has carpet in the bathroom (learned this one the hard way)

A 2nd floor laundry is a big deal-breaker for me (after having one and dealing with 2 separate flooding issues. Huge, awful problem)

I'm amazed at how many people don't like HOAs. We've always had one and have had nothing but positive experiences.....it's nice to have an extra way to keep crazy neighbors in check. Like the guy that lives behind us, for example. It helps that our yearly dues are extremely reasonable and they do provide a number of niceties for the neighborhood. We have volunteered several times for board positions, and I think that has helped has have a more positive view of the whole HOA experience.

I would never buy a house that smelled damp or mildewed, smelled like pets, had a first floor master....add hat to most of what others already said about schools, safety, structural soundness, etc.

I would love a detached garage. I would love a REAL mudroom. I would love a walk-out basement. I would love a huge walk-in pantry. I have to have at least 4 bedrooms.

Why?

we looked for a ranch when we first moved here. In the square footage we were looking for they simply aren't to be found here.

We also would want a ranch. The reason is because of my husband's knees and how I function. I function best when everything is on one floor.

Also, the laundry can't be in the basement for me...period. I don't like basements.

backs to a busy road. BTDT. :glare: When realtors tell you it sounds like the ocean, or that you will tune it out over time, they may be mistaken. :glare:

We back up to the expressway. We didn't really notice it when we moved in. We started noticing it when our kids couldn't hear us in the backyard. About 12 years later.

A few other things that we must have:

first floor master (or ranch)

Laundry room on the main floor

Nice size front porch

and a lot of what other people have already stated; 4 bedrooms, basement, yard, NO HOA, 2 car garage, and a nicely equipped kitchen.

In anything even remotely resembling a suburb, or on anything remotely resembling a cul de sac, or with anything remotely resembling an obnoxiously over-sized garage in front, or near anything remotely resembling neighbours.

:tongue_smilie:

In anything even remotely resembling a suburb, or on anything remotely resembling a cul de sac, or with anything remotely resembling an obnoxiously over-sized garage in front, or near anything remotely resembling neighbours.

:lol::lol:

Actually, yes, you reminded me, no garage in front!

I'm all for no neighbors - but it's partly so I can put my obnoxiously big garage out front!! lol :D Actually, it's dh's garage - my "requirement" is a large barn...:glare:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You just totally described our house:D

:auto:

had 2 handles in the kitchen to turn on the tap {drives me insane}

had dark colored walls {I love color, but dark drives me insane I don't cope well}

had stained carpet, because I'd probably find myself paying for the expense of removing it

Obviously all the major structural and health things.

As for more unusual things - I tend not to want to buy houses with carpet, at least in the main areas, or ugly wallpaper, because I hate to strip it. Non-ugly is ok. Paint colours, ugly furniture, or anything I can change is not an issue.

I rarely like new houses, and I hate subdivisions where you can't walk to things. (Rural is ok. Especially if there is a barn.)

I am always suspicious when I am looking for a house for sale and see a lot of those big, beige tiles or that they have done other renos on the cheap to make the house "neutral" and salable. I wonder how cheap they were and whether they did the work themselves. Plus, I think beige is a boring.

I wouldn't refuse a place over it, but stainless steel appliances and granite counter-tops are a turn-off. I figure in ten years, at most, they will be the new avacado and be universally reviled and ripped out as "so 2010".

Yes, I should have said, I don't want an attached garage under most circumstances. Detached is much better, and I don't like the houses where the garage door is the major architectural feature of the house itself.

I would never buy where someone painted the brick fireplace and/or kitchen cabinets.

Our firelpace was painted black, originally in mourning for Abraham Lincoln. Apparently, it was the trend at the time. The story makes the painted brick a lot more interesting!

I'm in the no HOA, location is paramount, and no major structural issues camp. Everything else is fixable.

We are about a quarter mile from an interstate and the noise has increased here too. The explanation I've been given is that "upgrades" in truck tires (to make them last longer) have made them noisier. There certainly isn't any more traffic.

Unfortunately, if your house is somewhat higher end, you can't get anyone to even look at your house without those things. We got the stainless a while ago but we need to replace our countertops and we were told to not even consider anything other than granite or quartz.

Dawn

I wouldn't refuse a place over it, but stainless steel appliances and granite counter-tops are a turn-off. I figure in ten years, at most, they will be the new avacado and be universally reviled and ripped out as "so 2010".

I wouldn't buy a house that has:

Carpet (ok, I would but that carpet would be ripped out before I moved in and replaced with wood) -- especially carpet in bathrooms. Do.not.get.

That's on a busy road or cul de sac

That has less than 5 acres (don't need to be that close to other people!)

That has no trees

That has/had bedbugs.

That has a backyard that floods in the spring/etc

That has brass features (like the carpet, I might, but they would be gone before I moved in)

That has no granite/comparable countertops

That has white countertops

That has a tiny garage

That has an unfinished basement

That has NO basement

That has a HOA

That is in a crime-ridden area

That has a sex offender anywhere nearby

Edited by Lisbeth