Menu

Did anybody NOT like Downton Abbey? Why not?

I'm trying to debate if I'll be able to get into it or not. I'm not a big TV or movie watcher-I am a reader and don't have much patience for TV or movies.

But everyone says this is SO good! Trying to see if there are any naysayers, and if so, why? Might help me make up my mind. Thanks!

We didn't like it - made it part way through one episode. We found that it opposed our world view.

:iagree:, although I'm not sure we understood or watched enough to get the world view. There were too many characters, and it was difficult to understand the accents and keep up with what was going on. I was willing to try, but I only watch tv like this with dd, and she lost interest very quickly. :(

We didn't like it - made it part way through one episode. We found that it opposed our world view.

I found it irritating for its suggestion that the rich people cared about their servants, spent mealtimes discussing how to help them, and all that. It struck me (and many other historians!) as quite inaccurate. All the glamour was enjoyable for a while, and then the rich people just really got on my nerves. I found this "we're better than you" attitude in opposition to my world view, I would say.

I did enjoy reading Below Stairs by Margaret Powell, which inspired the shows. Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey was sort of interesting, to get the story of the real life equivalent of Lady Grantham, who came up with the idea of turning the house into a nursing home for wounded veterans on her own -- unlike the way it was depicted in the tv show. This is the best part of the book because it changed nursing practices. Knowing who she was in real life was really interesting too.

So I found the real people's stories much more compelling than the show. But it is a beautiful show with great costumes.

Edited by stripe

I am a Christian and I liked it. I don't believe that just because you don't agree with something that that negates the entire story. If that were true there would be very little left to read, including classics.

I am a Christian and I liked it. I don't believe that just because you don't agree with something that that negates the entire story. If that were true there would be very little left to read, including classics.

Yes, I was under the impression it was fairly clean. Not sure about that though.

Stripe: the books sound great-I will check them out!

Downton Abbey is the first TV series I've followed in years and years. I am not at all a TV person. If I try to start a TV series, 99% of the time I think the acting is horrible and the premises are ridiculous. We don't even have cable. I watched the whole thing streaming online. It is a giant soap opera, set in a historical early 20th century British estate. There are many characters and some of the story lines are overly dramatic and far fetched. There is one story line that involves TeA and adult themes. The rest of it is rated G-PG.

If historical fiction is interesting to you, give it a go! :D The costumes and sets and acting are first rate. Yes - the stories go over the top on occasion. It is fiction. The pacing and character development is different than typical modern TV shows or movies IMO. I do like many movies.

Just didn't appeal.

I prefer Brit comedy, like Black Adder, Keeping Up Appearances

Oh - we LOVE Black Adder and own it on DVD. Also The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin and Fawlty Towers. :lol: Lots of Monty Python too.

Yes, I was under the impression it was fairly clean. Not sure about that though.

Would this be Christian worldview? Because that would be important for me to know, as that is mine also. You can PM me if you'd rather.

The main character indulges, once, before marriage. The results of her actions bring many, many negative consequences for her and her family. This is the main plot around which everything else revolves.

Another character is only out for their own gain, and willing to throw anyone under the bus if it will benefit him. He is portrayed as someone doomed to never find love.

A character wishes to divorce his wife in order to marry another. He may ultimately pay the price with his life.

There are other issues surrounding the mixing of classes, various personality conflicts, the "haves" and the "have nots", and so on.

It is *fairly* clean, but there are a few, largely tastefully done, scenes that are PG in nature.

It is a soap opera, with all that goes with that, set in WWI and the time leading up to it, with beautiful sets and costumes.

The main character indulges, once, before marriage. The results of her actions bring many, many negative consequences for her and her family. This is the main plot around which everything else revolves.

Another character is only out for their own gain, and willing to throw anyone under the bus if it will benefit him. He is portrayed as someone doomed to never find love.

A character wishes to divorce his wife in order to marry another. He may ultimately pay the price with his life.

There are other issues surrounding the mixing of classes, various personality conflicts, the "haves" and the "have nots", and so on.

It is *fairly* clean, but there are a few, largely tastefully done, scenes that are PG in nature.

It is a soap opera, with all that goes with that, set in WWI and the time leading up to it, with beautiful sets and costumes.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write up that detailed review-very, very helpful!!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write up that detailed review-very, very helpful!!!!

I will add that some of the PG scenes come as a surprise, out of the blue, which may be in part why some previous posters were uncomfortable with what they saw of the first episode, and also in part why others of the previous posters found it so deliciously addicting. If you are careful about what you watch with your kids, it's probably wise to watch the first episode without them to get the flavor of it. The first episode should be more than enough to go on in that regard.

:iagree:

Ready for Season 3

I will add that some of the PG scenes come as a surprise, out of the blue, which may be in part why some previous posters were uncomfortable with what they saw of the first episode, and also in part why others of the previous posters found it so deliciously addicting. If you are careful about what you watch with your kids, it's probably wise to watch the first episode without them to get the flavor of it. The first episode should be more than enough to go on in that regard.

I agree with this *except* the first episode may give the first impression that the overall series is heavy on those scenes, when really, I wouldn't say it is.

I don't see it as a series for *children*. Teens and adults yes. We had some great discussions. :)

We're Christian and we liked it too. Mr. Bates gets annoying after awhile and dh and I have fun heckling the television at how readily they all are to hand in their resignations. :p We've checked it out from the library 4 times now! It's really good. One of the characters is gay and there is a homosexual kiss in the early parts of Season 1, but other than that, I don't think there is much that might offend someone with a conservative point of view.

Oh, I do like it very much indeed. (you must imagine I'm saying this in a posh British accent!)

Although I'm Christian too, I didn't see anything that would make me dislike it. I don't have to agree with all the decisions that all the characters make in a story. In fact, I think it is kind of old-fashioned in that those characters who make decisions that are immoral or you could say un-Christian, get their comeuppance. Or repent. There is one lady who does something awful to another-- later she is so sorry and devotes herself to that person's welfare.

I see it as not just a beautiful production with interesting themes and plots, but it is also asking the question, "Who does England belong to?" Is it the aristocracy? Is it the up-and-coming workers? Will there be hierarchy? Will there be revolution? When Lord Grantham hears about the Titanic, he pities the "poor devils" in the lower levels of the ship, not realizing that he himself is captain of a sort of Titanic too.

And, the question the production is asking, in this day and age is, "Is there anyone left in the English-speaking world who wants to see such a program?" Clearly there is, which in itself is somehow reassuring, I don't know why!

I'm trying to debate if I'll be able to get into it or not. I'm not a big TV or movie watcher-I am a reader and don't have much patience for TV or movies.

But everyone says this is SO good! Trying to see if there are any naysayers, and if so, why? Might help me make up my mind. Thanks!

How can anyone help you decide if you like a television show or not?

People like different things. That is why there are so many books on the shelves, wines in the barrels, and shows on the telly.

I found it irritating for its suggestion that the rich people cared about their servants, spent mealtimes discussing how to help them, and all that. It struck me (and many other historians!) as quite inaccurate. All the glamour was enjoyable for a while, and then the rich people just really got on my nerves. I found this "we're better than you" attitude in opposition to my world view, I would say.

If you continue on with the series, though, it becomes apparent that one of the main themes is the breaking down of this class system during that time period.

Oh, I do like it very much indeed. (you must imagine I'm saying this in a posh British accent!)

Although I'm Christian too, I didn't see anything that would make me dislike it. I don't have to agree with all the decisions that all the characters make in a story. In fact, I think it is kind of old-fashioned in that those characters who make decisions that are immoral or you could say un-Christian, get their comeuppance. Or repent. There is one lady who does something awful to another-- later she is so sorry and devotes herself to that person's welfare.

I see it as not just a beautiful production with interesting themes and plots, but it is also asking the question, "Who does England belong to?" Is it the aristocracy? Is it the up-and-coming workers? Will there be hierarchy? Will there be revolution? When Lord Grantham hears about the Titanic, he pities the "poor devils" in the lower levels of the ship, not realizing that he himself is captain of a sort of Titanic too.

And, the question the production is asking, in this day and age is, "Is there anyone left in the English-speaking world who wants to see such a program?" Clearly there is, which in itself is somehow reassuring, I don't know why!

:iagree: Plus the costumes are gorgeous too! :)

I agree with this *except* the first episode may give the first impression that the overall series is heavy on those scenes, when really, I wouldn't say it is.

I don't see it as a series for *children*. Teens and adults yes. We had some great discussions. :)

I quite agree, on both points. The first episode is as PG as it ever gets, IIRC.

I didn't love it at the end of the first season, but by the end of the second I became a devoted fan--it became more interesting without the unbelievable storylines. There are some shocking things that happen in the first few episodes, but after that it calms down as repercussions follow the characters. I would definitely not watch it with kids. An interesting look at an interesting way of life.

SPOILER ALERT!

I found that it supports a Christian worldview, in that good always triumphs in the end. Actually, I found this more in Season 1 than Season 2. Some of the things that happened in Season 2 were a little murky (for example, Lord Grantham's flirtation with the maid, or the youngest daughter's running away to be married). Season 2's sinful characters didn't get their comeuppance quite as cleanly as they did in the first season.

People like different things. That is why there are so many books on the shelves, wines in the barrels, and shows on the telly.

So I guess all the movie critics' opinions are worthless, as are the ratings on Amazon, etc. and all the review websites that are out there. Not to mention all the evaluations of books, wine and tv shows. What's wrong with asking? Of course people like different things - nothing wrong with getting someone else's take on a book or movie. If you can eliminate something from all those choices, you've saved yourself some time and/or money.

Edited by Kathleen in VA

It doesn't help if someone says "I liked it" or "I didn't like it." But if they say why that can help you a lot. If someone says, "I didn't like it because it had a lot of graphic violence" than I can skip it, as graphic violence makes me ill.

Same with coffee...if someone LOVES a new type because it is so dark and rich I can skip it, as I prefer a lighter roast.

So I guess all the movie critics' opinions are worthless, as are the ratings on Amazon, etc. and all the review websites that are out there. Not to mention all the evaluations of books, wine and tv shows. What's wrong with asking? Of course people like different things - nothing wrong with getting someone else's take on a book or movie. If you can eliminate something from all those choices, you've saved yourself some time and/or money.

As with many things, I consider the source. If Pauline Kael declined to review a movie I thought I might like, I probably would (she didn't review controversy). If she cooed on and on about something (like Tampopo), I knew I wouldn't. Newsweek used to have a reviewer named Sorensen. We tended to like the same things.

Similarly here, about books, but I'm not going to name names. ;)

I didn't love it at the end of the first season, but by the end of the second I became a devoted fan--it became more interesting without the unbelievable storylines. There are some shocking things that happen in the first few episodes, but after that it calms down as repercussions follow the characters. I would definitely not watch it with kids. An interesting look at an interesting way of life.

Interesting. I think the first season was better. The second season pushed the limits of my ability to suspend my disbelief. Still enjoyable, but several times I wondered what in the world Julian Fellowes was thinking.

:iagree: Yes, these are some of the issues that have spurned discussions here.

On the contrary, as my OP said, hearing what naysayers say about it would give me great insight into the show, as I've only heard mainly positive things, and the comments in this thread are indeed doing that.

We thought it was a scream. We couldn't take it seriously at all. And no, the acting isn't really all that good, but that adds to the charm.

This is even better than the show itself:

I don't watch it "seriously" either. I definitely think of it as tongue in cheek.

And that video is hysterical! :lol:

I think also if someone is looking for a religious show, the characters are not overtly religious at all. There aren't a lot of scenes at church, or praying, or the like, nor do any of the "immoral acts" appear to be regretted for religious reasons. That being said, I don't think the first episode or so is very representative of the whole series. It really isn't a gay p@rn show, which I suspect is what those who objected to its "worldview" were referring to. I found the attitudes towards social class to be fairly repugnant, and that is what bothered me.

If you continue on with the series, though, it becomes apparent that one of the main themes is the breaking down of this class system during that time period.

Yes, and this I did find interesting. I especially was amused by the firm conviction of the servants that everything would be different after the war. I've watched most of season 2, just not the Christmas special. However, for those wanting more on the perspective of servants, I really do recommend Powell's Below Stairs. She is really extremely insightful. And funny. And spunky.

SPOILER ALERT!

I found that it supports a Christian worldview, in that good always triumphs in the end. Actually, I found this more in Season 1 than Season 2. Some of the things that happened in Season 2 were a little murky (for example, Lord Grantham's flirtation with the maid, or the youngest daughter's running away to be married). Season 2's sinful characters didn't get their comeuppance quite as cleanly as they did in the first season.

Well, is the Christian worldview that good always triumphs immediately? Because I think it's often the case in real life that one must hope for justice in the afterlife. Plenty of nasty people die unpunished. I also didn't see anything wrong with the daughter wanting to marry the "lower class" man -- it's only objectionable if you like the aristocratic social structure. He is a fairly upstanding fellow, and they don't have a very deep physical relationship, so I see nothing morally wrong with the idea of their marriage. I am not sure what the "Christian" viewpoint is, but at any rate, the family did approve in the end.

I thought Lord Grantham's philandering was an important plot point because so many rich men force themselves on their maids. But of course in this case, she pushes herself on him, and he thinks better of it, and blah blah, and it's a bit over the top moralistic to me, and utterly unrealistic.

When did Edith ever get her comeuppance for her behavior in Season 1 or beyond? I think she was a lot less annoying in Season 2, but she certainly wasn't "punished" for her (in my opinion) immoral gossip mongering.

So I certainly don't think it's a neat moralistic package. I spent most of my time watching it thinking what an exorbitant waste it was to have this monster house and all those servants. The Lady Almina book provides a lot of insight into how her money saved the family she married into, and why she had so much money.

I tried watching it and even made it through a handful of episodes on Netflix, but I just couldn't get into it. Partly it's the class stuff (I don't really care what the Lord and Ladies are doing, not one bit). Mostly, I wanted to love it and just didn't.

Sure, but in the time it takes to make a post and check back for more responses for a few days, the OP could have started watching the first episode and known for sure whether it was something she was interested in continuing.

Sure, but in the time it takes to make a post and check back for more responses for a few days, the OP could have started watching the first episode and known for sure whether it was something she was interested in continuing.

So let's not ask anyone at any time what they think about any movie or any book or any car mechanic or anything for that matter because in the time it takes to do that we could discover for ourselves whether or not whatever is in question is something we may appreciate or not? Ok, whatever. Sorry - I just think that's an odd way of going about it. I'd much rather hear others' opinions - especially if something is getting rave reviews on all sides (which is the case with this particular series). I particularly want to know if anyone does not like it and why. Some folks (me included) don't want to be surprised if we can help it. I watched the first 30 minutes of DA and I wish I'd never seen it. I would be glad to spare someone else the same experience. But hey, like I said, whatever.

So let's not ask anyone at any time what they think about any movie or any book or any car mechanic or anything for that matter because in the time it takes to do that we could discover for ourselves whether or not whatever is in question is something we may appreciate or not? Ok, whatever. Sorry - I just think that's an odd way of going about it. I'd much rather hear others' opinions - especially if something is getting rave reviews on all sides (which is the case with this particular series). I particularly want to know if anyone does not like it and why. Some folks (me included) don't want to be surprised if we can help it. I watched the first 30 minutes of DA and I wish I'd never seen it. I would be glad to spare someone else the same experience. But hey, like I said, whatever.

Sorry I said anything.

I'd much rather hear others' opinions - especially if something is getting rave reviews on all sides (which is the case with this particular series).

Downton Abbey has gotten criticisms, by the way.

Historian Simon Schama called it cultural necrophilia. Historian Jennifer Newby criticized the overly clean servants as being inaccurate, and called it infuriating to watch. She said the relationship between the family and servants was too familiar.

I love Downton Abbey. I don't think there is an excess of PG scenes or that it is un-Christian.

The mother is American, not British and "new money" or a Buccaneer. It is reasonable to postulate that there may be more liberal ideas regarding the master-servant relationship. It is unlikely, but not entirely irrational. I agree the servant-master relationship is very close and unrealistic.

It is fairly soap opera-ish.

I loath Black Adder, I hate it so much. I just cannot stand it. I like other British Humor. I just HATE Black Adder. I HATES IT.

Edited by Sis

Downton Abbey has gotten criticisms, by the way.

Historian Simon Schama called it cultural necrophilia. Historian Jennifer Newby criticized the overly clean servants as being inaccurate, and called it infuriating to watch. She said the relationship between the family and servants was too familiar.

Oh, I'm sure it has. But the overwhelming majority of viewers sing its praises highly.