Menu

Am I completely crazy for even considering this?

I love Zumba. I go 4 times a week. I work out hard - sweat is pouring off of me by the time the hour is up! I've helped to lead songs on occasion - that doesn't mean that I'm anything special - the instructors often ask students to come up and help out. It helps to motivate others and is fun to see different people's takes on the same choreography. I've become friends with the instructor I have the most. I helped out recently when our instructor pulled a muscle mid class. So tonight- the instructor came up to me and told me that I should become a Zumba instructor. She told me that people are motivated when I help to lead the class.

So - am I completely crazy for considering this? I mean 3 years ago I was a semi invalid. I still have chronic pain issues. My face is purple and sweat is pouring off of me by the time the class is only half over. I'm 64 pounds overweight. I often have to do the modified steps in the choreography though that is happening less and less. I'm often overwhelmed by daily life (though I always make it to Zumba class!) Oh, and I'm 48 so I'm not a spring chicken, though I don't have one foot in the grave either.

Could you help me to think this through? Please be honest. I don't want to be thinking of this because I feel flattered. There is no deadline for thinking this through or even following through on this. But I do want to sort of think it through even if I were to follow through a year later. I'm kind of goal oriented like that.

Take it one step at a time. Start with the goal of just getting better, for yourself, through the training. It never hurts for a homeschooling mom to learn more about teaching people! See how it goes. If you get certified, you don't *have* to teach if you don't want to, but you can start as a substitute, etc. You're never too old to dance!

Not crazy at all! My Dad is nearly 60 and just completed his yoga instructor certification. When my older dc were little, my Dad was quite overweight & had health issues. He lost nearly a third of his body weight and became very involved with the gym. He had similar positive encouragement about teaching yoga classes when teachers were running late, which led him down this path. I say if you love it, go for it!

I used to take a lot of group exercise classes. My favorite instructor had adult children and shoulder problems that made her unable to do many of the exercises we were doing. She also was easy to follow, great at pushing us to go a step further than we would have otherwise, she made the class interesting, and she focused on health (proper positioning and lifting techniques, etc).

Personally, I prefer instructors that aren't 23 and blonde with a perfect body and no stretch marks. I say go for it.

Jean, the big question is do you want to do it? I am exactly the same age and am in similar shape. I have recently realized that if I don't do things now I never will! There is no reason not to become an instructor. You are obviously good at leading the group. Would you want to do it? If the answer is maybe get the certification and try it! I'll be rooting for you!

Your challenges are exactly the reason you should consider it. Older people (and when I say that I mean me too) need better motivation to join a class than the 20 something perky instructor. I see some of those on TV and I think "yes, you can do that. You're young and fit already."

I think it would be motivating to those young and already fit too. You know seeing that 40 something overweight woman up there working her tail off. I'd come to your class.

My face gets red when I exercise too.

I think you should pursue it. I love knowing that my fitness instructors are normal people. Two of them are grandmas. Another one lost over 100 pounds. They have kids that fail their swim test, wish their legs would fit into skinny jeans and have teenagers with attitude problems.

It makes me think that fitness is attainable by normal people with busy lives and it makes me think that if THEY can do it, I can do it.

There is a zumba class that takes place in the building where my daughter practices and she is probably in her 40s and overweight by about 40+ pounds. She is soooo good leading her class. Her students are always smiling -- at least afterwards. :)

So, if you want to do it I say go for it.

Your challenges are exactly the reason you should consider it. Older people (and when I say that I mean me too) need better motivation to join a class than the 20 something perky instructor. I see some of those on TV and I think "yes, you can do that. You're young and fit already."

I think it would be motivating to those young and already fit too. You know seeing that 40 something overweight woman up there working her tail off. I'd come to your class.

:iagree:

If you want to make a career out of it, you can become a regular instructor and an instructor for older people who may need a modified format.

My 71 year old neighbor just started running for the first time in her life. She is training for a 5k in July. My mom became a flight attendant at almost 60 years old.

I love that these women aren't letting age hold them back.

Go for it! Then post some videos for us! :tongue_smilie:

God Bless,

Elise in NC

i don't understand why you think it is crazy. It sounds like you would be great motivation to others! Overweight doesn't matter. You are eating healthy and working out. I am 49. Did you just call me old?:tongue_smilie:

I think more middled aged and over weight people would be even more likely to sign up with an instructor like you! You will inspire them!

And hopefully it will keep your pain levels down. Have you noticed the exercise helps?

I love Zumba. I go 4 times a week. I work out hard - sweat is pouring off of me by the time the hour is up! I've helped to lead songs on occasion - that doesn't mean that I'm anything special - the instructors often ask students to come up and help out. It helps to motivate others and is fun to see different people's takes on the same choreography. I've become friends with the instructor I have the most. I helped out recently when our instructor pulled a muscle mid class. So tonight- the instructor came up to me and told me that I should become a Zumba instructor. She told me that people are motivated when I help to lead the class.

So - am I completely crazy for considering this? I mean 3 years ago I was a semi invalid. I still have chronic pain issues. My face is purple and sweat is pouring off of me by the time the class is only half over. I'm 64 pounds overweight. I often have to do the modified steps in the choreography though that is happening less and less. I'm often overwhelmed by daily life (though I always make it to Zumba class!) Oh, and I'm 48 so I'm not a spring chicken, though I don't have one foot in the grave either.

Could you help me to think this through? Please be honest. I don't want to be thinking of this because I feel flattered. There is no deadline for thinking this through or even following through on this. But I do want to sort of think it through even if I were to follow through a year later. I'm kind of goal oriented like that.

What a great idea… I hope you decide to do it.

You should definitely consider it. You are demonstrating exactly what the rest of us 'not spring chickens' should be doing -- getting up and moving.

I don't want to go to a class with an instructor who looks like she has no idea and has never had an idea what it is like to have weight issues weighing me down (no pun intended).

I would love to see someone who grapples with the same issues that I have -- or even just one of the issues that I have -- GO FOR IT!

Edited by MariannNOVA

Aw, thanks everyone. It was nice to wake up this morning to all these encouraging posts! My dh is not being encouraging about it - not sure why - it may be because he has to pick up the pieces when I overdo things. I'll be checking in to what is involved with becoming an instructor. If I did go such a route I think I would only be teaching as a sub or maybe one evening a week.

I think you should pursue it. I love knowing that my fitness instructors are normal people. Two of them are grandmas. Another one lost over 100 pounds. They have kids that fail their swim test, wish their legs would fit into skinny jeans and have teenagers with attitude problems.

It makes me think that fitness is attainable by normal people with busy lives and it makes me think that if THEY can do it, I can do it.

Instructors who are normal people encourage me way more than instructors that seem to have stepped out of a fitness magazine; plus, I find that they are often more enthusiastic about the class because they have seen amazing turn arounds in their own fitness life.

If it is something would enjoy doing, it also sounds like your students would enjoy YOU.

I love my Zumba class!!! I think it's a neat idea........but. The thing I'd want to ask my instructor is how much time does she put into this each week. To tell you the truth.....I really wish our instructor would slow things down a bit. Every couple of weeks there is a new routine to learn, sometimes more than one. I really wish we'd just stick with the same dozen or so that I know by heart. When she presents a new routine....she does it very well, of course. I wonder how much time is she having to put into this at home to learn new things and keep it fresh for everyone (although, like me....I wouldn't mind just stickin' with the old. But, I guess they need to keep adding new songs all the time). As for being a bit overweight. Who cares! You don't have to be a skinny mini to do Zumba or teach it. We have all sizes in our class and our instructor isn't skinny. I think it's a really neat idea to consider. This could potentially open up some new Zumba options in your area. I know some places teach kids Zumba (and the classes are full. We don't have that here). There is Aqua Zumba. Zumba for seniors..... It's definitely something to consider....but again, how much time would be involved? Does your instructor spend 3 hours a day practicing and learning at home??

Edited by ~AprilMay~

If you want to make a career out of it, you can become a regular instructor and an instructor for older people who may need a modified format.

:iagree: Some of my favorite group-ex instructors are the ones who are sporting imperfect bodies and doing it anyway! Plus, Zumba Gold is a separate certification specifically for modification to accommodate age/disability, which may be a great area of specialty for you. Of dozens of Zumba instructors, I've only met one with the Gold cert.

how much time would be involved? Does your instructor spend 3 hours a day practicing and learning at home??

My instructor lives and breathes Zumba. She teaches it 3x a week at our gym and often at least 3x a week elsewhere. She doesn't add new routines all the time though. I think she's also done it for a long time. Often she will resurrect an old routine that us oldies know but is completely new to those who haven't been doing it for a while - thus providing some variety but without having to always learn completely new routines. But today I have another instructor who only teaches twice a month (she alternates with another instructor). She's a friend too and is fairly new to teaching. I should ask her today how much time she puts into it.

Yes, you're completely crazy, but it has nothing to do w/Zumba :tongue_smilie:

I think you'd make an awesome teacher! As long as you ensure that you work w/in your levels, don't allow yourself to be pressured into doing more than you're ready to, and have no problem setting boundaries (ie willing to teach __x per month) and sticking to them, I'd say go for it!

(You're still crazy though:tongue_smilie:)

Yes, you're completely crazy, but it has nothing to do w/Zumba :tongue_smilie:

I think you'd make an awesome teacher! As long as you ensure that you work w/in your levels, don't allow yourself to be pressured into doing more than you're ready to, and have no problem setting boundaries (ie willing to teach __x per month) and sticking to them, I'd say go for it!

(You're still crazy though:tongue_smilie:)

I know where you live. . . brat!